Best shows on Prime/Netflix?

Just started on series 7 of Fear The Walking Dead, now free on Prime. I liked the early series as it didn’t seem to get bogged down as much as the Walking Dead, but two episodes in to S7 and I’m not very impressed so far. Strand has changed into a comedy version of Negan and Morgan is getting more and more irritating as a character. I suppose it’s hard to keep things fresh though.

If its not been mentioned already "Slow Horses" with Gary Oldman on Apple is very good, as is Ted Lasso

Mrs WW is enjoying "The last ship" about an American warship and its crew during a global pandemic.

It is utterly fantastic and totally ridiculous :D

Succession, but it's not on Netflix. Probably some of the best TV to ever come out of the US.

I watched "The Stoning of Soraya M."
on Prime a while ago.
Subtitles but what an amazing, powerful movie.
Based on a true story.
Hard to imagine things like this still go on today.
Not sure if it's still available

Saw that some years ago, it's the definition of 'harrowing'. As you say, a very powerful film but not one for the faint hearted to watch.

With the new series of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds about to start, Paramount+ put the whole first episode from the first season on YT the other day. For anyone interested, who hasn't seen it, it's here. ;)
I'm not sure I want to see SNW really. From the sound of it the identity politics get in the way and the crew are far too stroppy.

I'm not sure I want to see SNW really. From the sound of it the identity politics get in the way and the crew are far too stroppy.
For me, Strange New Worlds is breadth of fresh air after Star Trek Discovery, and closer to the original series than any previous Star Trek series. Which makes sense, as the original series would supposedly follow on from this chronologically in the Star Trek universe in 4-5 years

Star Trek Discovery was the first Star Trek series I have given up on, because of the changes they made to the Star Trek universe and aliens within it, particularly the Klingons. And then when they went so far into the future, that was it, I'm out. :rolleyes:

As for "identity politics", I'm not sure what you mean. :thinking: The crew being "stroppy", I think compared to most Star Trek series, but particularly the original series, means there are more characters to have stories with, and the characters need more depth and variety, because it is being made now. Having just watched the first episode of the second series, the lead character, Captain Pike, hardly features. That was a bold move.

I thought those who may not be able to stream/get Strange New Worlds may appreciate being able to see a whole episode for free. :) Maybe not everyone though eh! ;) :LOL:

It's not quite the breath of fresh air though, is it? I'm sure the potential is there, but it's still mired in Kurtzman Trek. The show is supposed to be about Pike. But they marginalise him and the crews behaviour is downright insolent. This is supposed to be Starfleet, a quasi military organisation. The idea is to build character, not whack you around the head with a shovel.

@Plain Nev You made it sound like you had not seen Strange New Worlds! :thinking:

After Discovery, Strange New Worlds was a breath of fresh air to me. :) Discovery was too dark, and changed too much legacy stuff for me. Change for changes sake. SNW feels more like regular Trek.

"Kurtzman Trek" is a bit too deep for me. I recognise the name, but not the insinuation.

The show is definitely about Pike, and Anson Mount dominates every scene he is in. It is 3-5 years of a character who knows he is not going to come to a good end. Having every week alluding to that, or just about that character, makes for a one dimensional show, compared to modern TV series. This is definitely not Kirk, Spock and McCoy every week. Having other characters have their stories makes for a more varied show imho.

As for insolence, I don't get that feeling. I get a commander who has a laid back style, and dare I say, a more modern commanding style compared to previous Treks.

@Plain Nev You made it sound like you had not seen Strange New Worlds! :thinking:

After Discovery, Strange New Worlds was a breath of fresh air to me. :) Discovery was too dark, and changed too much legacy stuff for me. Change for changes sake. SNW feels more like regular Trek.

"Kurtzman Trek" is a bit too deep for me. I recognise the name, but not the insinuation.

The show is definitely about Pike, and Anson Mount dominates every scene he is in. It is 3-5 years of a character who knows he is not going to come to a good end. Having every week alluding to that, or just about that character, makes for a one dimensional show, compared to modern TV series. This is definitely not Kirk, Spock and McCoy every week. Having other characters have their stories makes for a more varied show imho.

As for insolence, I don't get that feeling. I get a commander who has a laid back style, and dare I say, a more modern commanding style compared to previous Treks.

That's the curse of YT I'm afraid. I never have seen it. Although I've seen clips and a great many reviews. Kurtzman, I think, is the shows producer and is reportedly not a Star Trek fan. Hence the mangling of the shows continuity. I'm probably being a little unfair. Because while it's not without its faults it's a definite improvement on Discovery.

That's the curse of YT I'm afraid. I never have seen it. Although I've seen clips and a great many reviews.
:oops: :$ Wow!
Kurtzman, I think, is the shows producer and is reportedly not a Star Trek fan. Hence the mangling of the shows continuity. I'm probably being a little unfair. Because while it's not without its faults it's a definite improvement on Discovery.
Whilst I can understand watching/reading reviews, having the chance to see it oneself, at no cost, and make ones own mind up, would, I would have thought, be a no brainer, but apparently not for some. :thinking: :LOL:

Reactions: Sky
I think we've been at cross purposes. I have seen the first episode now, and it's not bad. I'll give you that. I'd assumed we were talking about S2, which indeed has just debuted. So I probably didn't make a great deal of sense. My bad.

Watched the first 2 episodes of Bodies on Netflix, looking good so far.

I know it's old, but we're deep into The Closer at the moment. Kyra Sedgwick is just brilliant....

We've been watching "The Patriot" on Amazon.

It's a raver surreal action drama thing with comic elements about an American CIA operative.

Other than that, we watched a Korean rom com series called "Full House" on Youtube, it's free to watch, and I absolutely loved it. One episode seems to be missing but it doesn't seem to really matter and the only thing of substance in it is that the main female character is invited on an overseas trip by an admirer but you gather this in the next episode.

I wish it would hurry up and get more to the music scenes :ROFLMAO:. I moved from Brum to Coventry around this time and we put The Specials on at the local college - it was quite a night!

binge watch it on iplayer
it was an ok ending bit limp
the IRA connection was interesting

Anyone seen "Fallout" on Amazon?

We've just finished and are hoping for a second series.

Back