weekly BillN_33 .. 52 in 2016 . Wk 13 "Effort" added

Aw what a shame. That is a well taken image Bill - nicely lit, great composition with that interesting bg. Love it. :clap:

Hi Bill, that's a super shot for topical - really sad image but such a powerful one. Only slight negative comment would be it's a shame you missed his hand off - I think it would work better with it in frame or a slightly higher crop - although then you might need to lose more from the top to keep the composition as effective.

Great job.

Top bird shots. (y)

Topical is interesting, the misery with the graffitied BG.

Top bird shots. (y)

Topical is interesting, the misery with the graffitied BG.

Thanks guys for your comments - really appreciated

David - I don't think the little guy was crying through "misery" but I take your point

He was probably crying because he say me!!!!

Happy - very nice - it is also like they form a face with two eyes !

Abandoned - it is on so many levels, the building, the steps, the trees - nice capture. well composed and taken

Camo - great - and hats off to you I have no idea how you have the patience or skill to get a shot like that

Danger - another great capture but liking #2 slightly more

Topical - moving strong image with a real stop and stare impact - well done :)

Living World - Week 9
Living_W.jpg

Not sure what I'm looking at ... something akin to frog spawn maybe ?!? It looks like a tadpole within the skin. Well chosen fir the theme Bill - nice DoF and harsh sunlight but no blown highlights :clap:

Creepy. Alien looking thing (whatever it is). It must have been a difficult shot to take, due to the low POV and I can see you have struggled with the DOF as part of the "thing" is OOF. But I have to say that I can't tell what it is and in this image I fell that is a negative thing. Nicely exposed and the sand has nice colours.

Great photo, interesting point of view, great use of the sunlight and great DoF. Nothing to criticise, whatever that may be :)

Not sure what I'm looking at ... something akin to frog spawn maybe ?!? It looks like a tadpole within the skin. Well chosen fir the theme Bill - nice DoF and harsh sunlight but no blown highlights :clap:

Creepy. Alien looking thing (whatever it is). It must have been a difficult shot to take, due to the low POV and I can see you have struggled with the DOF as part of the "thing" is OOF. But I have to say that I can't tell what it is and in this image I fell that is a negative thing. Nicely exposed and the sand has nice colours.

Great photo, interesting point of view, great use of the sunlight and great DoF. Nothing to criticise, whatever that may be :)

Thanks guys no idea what it is - it came out of the sea, (Indian Ocean, just), washed up on the beach - only saw one - there seemed to be something in there waiting to hatch

Ctenophore?

I like your living world photo, good use of depth of field, interesting subject, nice colours.

I'm sure my nan had a glass one of these when I was little, but I will take your word it's living. I like the blue against the detail in the sand :)

I'm pretty confident that is a Portuguese Man of war ( jelly fish )
Not your common or garden jelly fish, by any means, its a siphonophore, a colony of minute zooids each capable of independent survival.
For what appears to be a basic marine invertebrate , ( and somewhat deadly) its pretty complex .

Last edited:
I'm pretty confident that is a Portuguese Man of war ( jelly fish )
Not your common or garden jelly fish, by any means, its a siphonophore, a colony of minute zooids each capable of independent survival.
For what appears to be a basic marine invertebrate , ( and somewhat deadly) its pretty complex .

being from France, can you eat them?

Last edited:
Topical - poor little fella - everything about it is topical well done.
Living World - I thought it was a jellyfish of some sort have seen blues sail jellyfish on a beach they were similar, so was pleased with myself when I saw Cobras post. Great shot of an unusual find.

Last edited:
Topical - moving, powerful image, nothing extra to add. The Living World - super looking creature, perfect.

Plenty of spikes there Bill (y)

It's certainly spiky Bill, so on theme, and there is plenty of sharpness (geddit) in the shot.
But imo it lacks a focal point, something to give it ompfh.
If there was something of a different colour, or something that draws you eye it would give it a reason and thus improve it.
(Just my opinion, so feel free to ignore it :) )

Spiky - I agree that it is a little underwhelming

Last edited:
I quite like the abstract nature of it and the DoF is good too. :)

Back