100 Strangers Complete!!

Hi, Iain, Gillian for me. Wonderful, confident and happy smile. Complimentary BG and the reds really make it vibrant.

The BGs in all are wonderful.

Cheers,

Thanks Andy, Gillian was a great character, full of smiles. She was just perfect for the background I had found a few weeks previously but so glad I revisited that day.

I finished work in London this afternoon just a few stops on the underground away from Brick Lane and having brought my camera to work with me, I intended to go out shooting to capture a stranger portrait.

As I have often done in the past, I spotted a background first and waited for a suitable stranger to come along.

I had a few rejections along the way. One notable one was a young couple, both wearing sunglasses who would have been ideal in front of my chosen graffiti background. I made my approach as usual but was met by a "I am not allowed to have my photograph taken" reply. The young man who was accompanying this young woman must have seen my bemused look on my face and went on to explain, "We are contestants on the X factor and can't be seen together or photographed"

Of course its everyones prerogative to say no to being part of my project but in this case, I thought, Simon Cowell is hardly likely to see my 100 strangers project, your secret is safe with me!

#59:100 Strangers - Amy
by iain blake, on Flickr

After a short while I spotted Amy walking along towards me with a few friends. I thought she would be perfect for the background and made my approach.

On my opening line, Amy asked "Are you a Glaswegian?"
I replied "Yes, well near enough"

Amy "My Dad is from Glasgow"

And so she agreed to be part of my project.

Amy is a History of Art student but is going on to study Philosophy. Amy is from Devon originally but now lives in London.

"My happiest memories are from growing up in Devon with the beaches, the sea and the fresh air"

"I am moving to Brighton in the summer"

"For a freer state of mind"

Thank you Amy for being part of my project and good luck for the future!

Another great set of characters, Iain (y)
I can certainly see why you "ambushed" Gillian, thats a perfect background :)

"We are contestants on the X factor and can't be seen together or photographed"
So they are walking around London together?
OK :D

Another great set of characters, Iain (y)
I can certainly see why you "ambushed" Gillian, thats a perfect background :)

So they are walking around London together?
OK :D

Thanks Chris (y)

The X factor contestants :rolleyes:
It may well have been a line I was fed, I don't really know but if someone doesn't want their photograph taken, they don't have to give a reason just say no, as the kids of Grange Hill once sang :D

I don't watch that drivel on the telly, so I will never see if they are on it or not.

I am very happy with the portrait of Amy in front of the background, she was such a lovely young woman, I enjoyed the stranger interaction.

One notable one was a young couple, both wearing sunglasses who would have been ideal in front of my chosen graffiti background. I made my approach as usual but was met by a "I am not allowed to have my photograph taken" reply. The young man who was accompanying this young woman must have seen my bemused look on my face and went on to explain, "We are contestants on the X factor and can't be seen together or photographed"

I think I would of stepped outside the project on that one, they were in a public place, papped a few shots and submitted them to the tabloid picture desks !

If you had been spun a line it wouldn't have mattered but it could of been a nice little earner !!

There's some stunning images here Iain, you've got a very nice technique.

Subscribed to this thread as i did same project in london.

I stopped counting /taking notes after the 70th one and lost track.

Need to get back into it soon

I think I would of stepped outside the project on that one, they were in a public place, papped a few shots and submitted them to the tabloid picture desks !

If you had been spun a line it wouldn't have mattered but it could of been a nice little earner !!

There's some stunning images here Iain, you've got a very nice technique.

Thanks Nick, good point about papping them haha
As I said, not entirely sure if it was a line I was spun but why would one bother, they just had to say no and be done with it. I don't watch the program or any telly for that matter so don't know how far along the process they are with it.
Thanks for the comment about my images, cheers (y)

Subscribed to this thread as i did same project in london.

I stopped counting /taking notes after the 70th one and lost track.

Need to get back into it soon

Thanks Jonney (y)
I don't know how you could let it go, it's an obsession for me :D
I couldn't not do it now.

My goodness I didn't realise I had missed so many... It's nice to see how well they all sit together on your half way mark post, it looks ace.

Taffy's hair is impressive and Gillian with that background work amazingly well..

My goodness I didn't realise I had missed so many... It's nice to see how well they all sit together on your half way mark post, it looks ace.

Taffy's hair is impressive and Gillian with that background work amazingly well..

Thanks T :D
I am really pleased with how it's all came together.

Taffys hair is just fantastic, I agree :)

I stopped doing it because I had some stuff I had to deal with in my life and I can only do this project with a positive mind set. I plan to do it abroad when I go to places by saying it in there native language hehe

I stopped doing it because I had some stuff I had to deal with in my life and I can only do this project with a positive mind set. I plan to do it abroad when I go to places by saying it in there native language hehe

Life has a habit of getting in the way of our hobbies, doesn't it?
Wow, nothing like a challenge then, to ask in a foreign language :D

Well I haven't posted into my project for what seems like ages. I missed getting out shooting last weekend as I got a last minute invite to go up to the photography show in Birmingham NEC.
Came away a couple of hundred £ lighter but it was a very enjoyable day.

Fast forward to this weekend, and I was very keen to get out shooting and kickstart the project again.
Posted below are the fruits of my labour. 3 portraits which were 4 but I had a last minute change of heart from my fourth subject of the day, a young woman called Sarah.
I shot her portrait as I have for the ones before but I caught her on a bad day. She wasn't up for smiling as she wasn't in a happy mood but I can go with that, I want to shoot the strangers as they are, not as I want them to be.
Sarah requested that I show her her photograph prior to posting it online which I duly obliged with. She didn't like how she looked in the photograph and coupled that with her backstory, she asked that I don't post it.

Of course i completely understood and met with her wishes.
It was certainly a first for me in this project but feel its all part of the process.

Anyway, my latest strangers are posted below, C&C welcome as always.

#60:100 Strangers - Chloe
by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed Chloe and her colourful hairstyle walking from the train station.

I made my usual approach, introduced myself and the 100 strangers project to Chloe to which she replied with a smile.

"Great chat up line" laughed and then said "Not really"

It was a bit of an ice breaker, and Chloe agreed to be part of my project.

Chloe is from Ipswich, she is an artist and works part-time in a coffee shop.

"My art is on hold at the moment, I have a child and I am devoting my time to my child at the moment"

"This is my first time travelling on my own up to London. I have been a few times before but always in company"

"I am going to have a tattoo done, its of a stag and it will be across my stomach with the antlers onto each side of my ribcage"

Chloe went on to show me the pattern of the tattoo she was having done, a photo of which Chloe had on her phone. It was a lovely design, very colourful.

I asked Chloe how many sittings to have the tattoo done and she replied.

"Its going to be one sitting, all day and a lot of pain"

This isn't the first tattoo Chloe has had done, she went onto to show me a previous tattoo of flowers she had on her stomach. It did surprise me that Chloe would show me, as a perfect stranger in the street her tattoo. Chloe came across as a confident young woman, I do wonder how she got on with her tattoo though. If you read this Chloe, I hope it all went well.

I finally asked Chloe what her outlook in life was.

"Happiness is a journey, not the destination"

Thank you Chloe!

#61:100 Strangers - Viola
by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed Viola sitting outside a shoe shop just off Brick Lane, London. She was with a friend, in deep conversation, both smoking cigarettes. When Viola looked to be about to leave, I approached and asked her if she would agree to being part of my 100 strangers project. Viola looked toward her friend and he nodded in agreement. Viola's friend then proceeded to open the shoe shop they were sitting outside. I got the impression that he may have been her boss.

Viola is from Italy but lives and works in London. She is a dancer and part-time shop assistant.

I took some shots of Viola sitting where I had initially spotted her. Viola appeared a little shy at first but I hope I managed to capture her character and convey what was a confident young woman behind the initial shyness.

Viola invited me in to the now open shoe shop to continue our chat and so that she could at least appear to be working (Viola's words)

"My main ambition in life is to dance, wherever that takes me, I love to travel"

"I am a contemporary dancer but I am open to offers"

"My happiest moment?"

"My happiest moment in life is yet to happen"

Thank you Viola and good luck!

#62:100 Strangers - Gary
by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed Gary or to be more precise his fantastic beard from across Commercial Street, a busy London street near Old Spitalfields Market.

After a little explanation of my project, Gary happily agreed to have his portrait taken.

On initially talking to Gary it was quickly realised that we are fellow countrymen. Gary is originally from Harthill, which is in Shotts, North Lanarkshire. Scotland. Gary has been living and working in south of England for nearly 20 years he told me in a broad Scots accent. That certainly hadn't diminished over the years.

I asked Gary what advice he would give to his younger self, to which he replied.

"Get out of town faster!"

I asked was it that bad?

"Its atrocious"

We both laughed at his opinion of his home town and then parted company with a handshake.

Thank you Gary!

Another cracking set Iain. I do like Chloe rather a lot, ( :D ) but I'm not overly keen with the dark line running through her reflection.
So on Balance I think that Gary wins this set, beard and all. (y)

Another cracking set Iain. I do like Chloe rather a lot, ( :D ) but I'm not overly keen with the dark line running through her reflection.
So on Balance I think that Gary wins this set, beard and all. (y)

Thanks Chris (y)
With Chloe's portrait, I deviated slightly from my usual practice with the project in that I would try and find a background first.
I had just taken my camera out of my bag, turned around and there she was walking along. The office window was the nearest available background so went with that.
I do agree about the line though :D
I thought Gary's beard outstanding and he was a fellow Jock as well so that may have helped my cause a little:D

As I mentioned in the write up for Viola's portrait, stranger #61/100, I thought there was a shyness about her when we initially spoke.
Below is a shot which I think displays this shyness, included here because I do like it but never chose it as I prefer the one with eye contact.

Viola
by iain blake, on Flickr

Chloe for me Iain, wonderful eye contact and the reflection is great, almost looks like a different person.

Gary's beard is a belter.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy(y)
I enjoyed the encounter with Chloe, she was very engaging which helps my project along.

Yet more great images ... thanks Iain.

Of course ... they all feature eye contact ... and so they should.

However, on reflection, Viola #2 holds special qualities.

Yet more great images ... thanks Iain.

Of course ... they all feature eye contact ... and so they should.

However, on reflection, Viola #2 holds special qualities.

Thanks David (y)
I was a little torn between Viola #1 eye contact and #2 and her shyness as my main submission.

I suppose you either do eye contact or you don't. ;)

Yes, the eye contact is a theme running through my stranger project but i am starting to realise its not a necessity to make what I think is a good portrait.
i have started to take more shots of my strangers in slightly different poses etc. I will keep the eye contact look as the main submission for this 100 but intend to mix things up in my next 100.

.. or ... the next 100 all with no eye contact ..!!

back to Viola #2 ... people smile differently, and can look more beautiful, when looking away.

Really liking the way you are picking such a good variety of people Iain, and with the couple of shots of Viola adding even more depth into the portraits, all beautifully lit and character capturing too, I must say you are making this difficult project look very easy (y)

Really liking the way you are picking such a good variety of people Iain, and with the couple of shots of Viola adding even more depth into the portraits, all beautifully lit and character capturing too, I must say you are making this difficult project look very easy (y)

Thanks Dean(y)
I do enjoy this project, no pressure, no deadlines, I can concentrate on engaging with the strangers.
Some days I have gone out and haven't taken any photographs for a variety of reasons. No worries, I come back another day.

Thanks Dean(y)
I do enjoy this project, no pressure, no deadlines, I can concentrate on engaging with the strangers.
Some days I have gone out and haven't taken any photographs for a variety of reasons. No worries, I come back another day.
Sounds a dream Iain... there again, I'd probably take none EVERY time I went out :D

Sounds a dream Iain... there again, I'd probably take none EVERY time I went out :D

The strangers project isn't really as daunting as it may appear.
People are generally very approachable, I have learned to judge whether or not someone will give a positive answer to my request to be part of the project mostly.
If someone is in an obvious rush to get somewhere, I wouldn't ask, if they are talking on a phone, I wouldn't ask, you get the idea?
Approaching people in groups seems to work, the others often add encouragement to whoever I have asked, it gets a laugh and a smile, its all good.

Had a bit of a false start on Thursday when I visited London to continue my 100 strangers project. I was suffering a little from a sore back and wasn't quite up to the task.
I did find a few new backgrounds though which were worth a revisit to shoot strangers against. Fast forward to today and I had recovered sufficiently to visit London in search of some strangers.

The results are posted below. C&C welcome as always.

#63:100 Strangers - Susannah
by iain blake, on Flickr

Susannahs portrait was taken against a background which I had found earlier in the week but wasn't able to find a suitable stranger to pose at the time.

Today, I returned to the area and waited a while until I spotted Susannah walking past. She did appear to be in a rush when I asked if she would be part of my project. Seeing as we were directly beside the background, I was able to convince Susannah that it wouldn't take long.

Susannah is from Slovakia but has been living and working in London for five years.

"I should be at work right now!"

"Where I would rather be is sitting on a beach right now, sipping Pina Coladas!"

Thank you Susannah for being part of my project.

#64:100 Strangers - George
by iain blake, on Flickr

At the other end of the alley where I took Susannah's portrait (stranger #63) is this lovely green coloured wall. Again, I waited a little while for a suitable stranger to come along.

I noticed George, in his wonderful green shirt and matching waistcoat walking along and thought he'd be perfect against the background.

Although in something of a rush, George happily agreed to be part of my project.

George is from Finchley but explained that he works in a cigar shop just along Wardour Street from where I took his portrait.

"I have been a full time musician for 8 years but started to feel a little jaded by it, so I became a cigar salesman at Cigars/Humidor 100 Wardour Street, London"

"Come and have a cigar!"

I politely declined Georges offer and he went on his way.

Thank you George!

#65:100 Strangers - Richard
by iain blake, on Flickr

Richards portrait was taken in Bridle Lane, a popular haunt for some London based 100 stranger shooters.

Again, I waited around for a suitable stranger to come along. I noticed Richard walking along with a friend and he agreed to pose with a little encouragement from his friend. I think they were in a rush to get somewhere so I had to work quickly so as not to delay them.

Richard lives and works in London and was on his way to meet some friends for the day.

With little time to find out much about Richard, I asked him what his happiest moment in life has been?

"I am never that happy, I am a bit of a depressive!"

With that, Richard was on his way. There wasn't really a lot for me to say to his reply.

Thank you Richard.

Wow Wow Wow & Wow......you just keep delivering the goods Iain....

really like 63 & 65 for the central composition & piercing stares , combined with the backgrounds....I can't really put it in to words , they seem to be coming out of the screen at you is about the closest I can get , very effective & very powerful :clap:

Wow Wow Wow & Wow......you just keep delivering the goods Iain....

really like 63 & 65 for the central composition & piercing stares , combined with the backgrounds....I can't really put it in to words , they seem to be coming out of the screen at you is about the closest I can get , very effective & very powerful :clap:

Thanks @blondie606 Lynne (y)
Its down to the shallow dof, aperture @1.6 and the receding backgrounds. Both of those were shot in front of alleyways which went to a vanishing point.
I am really pleased with both of them, #63 Susannah is probably my favourite to date. There is little processing on her eyes, they really were that piercing, I think her eyes are just stunning.

Thanks again for looking in Lynne :D

Back