weekly blakester's 52 for 2012, Week 52 "Busy (Beach Party)" Post 1215 FINISHED

What can I say that hasn't already been said........ It's utter rubbish :D

Seriously I really like this Iain, you can tell by just glancing that it isn't just a snap shot, and the deep thought you have put into it's creation.

I too like the lamp post there it does help deliver that eerie feel. I also like the great low point of view with the light trail constantly leading your eyes onto the main focus of the cross

Have you hit the theme of Sign - Damn right you have (y)

Praise indeed Dean from one of the Norfolk Mafia's finest ;)
Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Sigh: Another nice shot Iain. I share your feelings about these memorial / shrine sites. There're far too many of them about. (Meaning too many people losing their lives). I think the light trails hammer home the link between speed and death when taken against the cross and flowers. It looks good from the low angle.

I agree about the lamp post, and as you have edit ticked I've taken the liberty of trying a quick edit to try and eliminate it. I hope you don't mind. If you do, just shout and I'll take it down.

cross1.jpg

Stephen

Thank you too Stephen (y)
I dont mind at all about your edit, this to me is what the edit box is all about, I value others opinions. You have done a better job of removing that lamp-post than I did. I like your edit, thanks again.

Think I like the edit Stephen, cleans up the shot and puts more emphasis in the two main subjects in the image. Nicely done. (y)

Thanks for looking in again Phil (y)

I really like sigh. The inclusion of the motion blur makes it; it says infinitely more with that than it would without.

I really like sigh. The inclusion of the motion blur makes it; it says infinitely more with that than it would without.

Thanks Mark, the image came together quite well for me. I am pleased you like it. (y)

Hi Iain just seen your pic for this week. A very strong image indeed and very fitting for the theme. I do like the crop as well.

Cheers Michael, yes I too like the crop. thanks for looking/commenting.

Iain

Hi Iain, loving your work so far. Excellent colours and textures in your direction pic. Love the fear shot too, hahahaha certainly wouldn't catch me taking shots like that with my fear of heights. Your sigh picture is a real belter, very poignant (y)

Hi Iain, loving your work so far. Excellent colours and textures in your direction pic. Love the fear shot too, hahahaha certainly wouldn't catch me taking shots like that with my fear of heights. Your sigh picture is a real belter, very poignant (y)

A big thanks Simon for your kind comments they are very much appreciated.

My favourite take on the theme from the ones I've looked at - great depth of field, vibrant colours, stillness contrasting with movement - well done sir!

My favourite take on the theme from the ones I've looked at - great depth of field, vibrant colours, stillness contrasting with movement - well done sir!

Again, a big thanks to you too Phil for such positive and kind comments. :D

Hi Iain,

As with all your photographs so far 'Sigh' is very good and quite poignant. The fast moving vehicle does suggest 'speed kills' and captures the theme very well. It has been a difficult theme this week and I think this is probably the best interpretation that I have seen.

Nice shot! Very effective, would be a good anti speeding campaign image!

Great shot, I've quickly learnt few photos are "snaps" and almost all require careful thought and consideration to obtain the image in your minds eye. Sigh is brilliant and do think the edit without the lampost is better as it keeps the eye on the cross and flowers.

Hi Iain,

As with all your photographs so far 'Sigh' is very good and quite poignant. The fast moving vehicle does suggest 'speed kills' and captures the theme very well. It has been a difficult theme this week and I think this is probably the best interpretation that I have seen.

Wow! Cheers Nick, that was my idea/intention behind the photograph, keeping the national speed limit sign in. I know theres been an edit, which I do like but prefer my take as it was as I had envisaged it.
Thanks for your kind comments.

Nice shot! Very effective, would be a good anti speeding campaign image!

Thank you too Jay, good of you to suggest that. (y)

Great shot, I've quickly learnt few photos are "snaps" and almost all require careful thought and consideration to obtain the image in your minds eye. Sigh is brilliant and do think the edit without the lampost is better as it keeps the eye on the cross and flowers.

Thanks to you to Richard, your comments are much appreciated.

Iain - this is a really powerful shot. I thought the inclusion of the lamp post with the national speed limit sign suggested vehicles speeding up before they should, and maybe what lead to the accident. Very poignant, very sad. You've put a lot of thought into the shot and as jpay suggested, it would make a good poster.

I also liked the colours and warmth in the shot. It suggests life going on all around while the flowers and cross are a stark reminder that a young lad lost his life there.

A really superb image. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

Iain, that's very powerful, well thought out and superbly shot. The sense of speed from the lorry (??) really brings out the cross and flowers. I think I'd agree with you about the lamppost behind, but agree with Jean on the one with the speed limit, that it was intentional. Good job.

Iain - this is a really powerful shot. I thought the inclusion of the lamp post with the national speed limit sign suggested vehicles speeding up before they should, and maybe what lead to the accident. Very poignant, very sad. You've put a lot of thought into the shot and as jpay suggested, it would make a good poster.

I also liked the colours and warmth in the shot. It suggests life going on all around while the flowers and cross are a stark reminder that a young lad lost his life there.

A really superb image. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

Why thankyou Jean :) I am pleased it is being interpreted as I had hoped. I don't think I will be able to match it this week though, I am struggling to find a suitable subject for 'sweet' without being to obvious/literal.
Thanks again for your kind comments.

Iain, that's very powerful, well thought out and superbly shot. The sense of speed from the lorry (??) really brings out the cross and flowers. I think I'd agree with you about the lamppost behind, but agree with Jean on the one with the speed limit, that it was intentional. Good job.

Thanks John (y) Yes it is a lorry thundering past. My photoshop cloning skills were not up to the job of removing the lamp-post so it had to stay :D

Thanks for looking/commenting

Iain

Hi Iain

time for a catch up me thinks...apologies for not dropping in sooner :crying:

Fear....oh yes...right on theme & well shot....just to be awkward ( there's always 1 & it's usually me :LOL: ) I'd sort of prefer it if the lamp post light wasn't there..seems to get in the way of the downward view ...? Brill idea though :clap:

Sigh....very thought provoking image , very sad, certainley on theme . Great motion contrast against the flowers but as per Treehugger & Penguin the colors don't "fit" for me somehow ? Toned down a little ( seems very red ) it might add to the sombre message of the shot ?

Great idea though.....look forward to seeing the rest of your 52 (y)

Hi Iain

time for a catch up me thinks...apologies for not dropping in sooner :crying:

Fear....oh yes...right on theme & well shot....just to be awkward ( there's always 1 & it's usually me :LOL: ) I'd sort of prefer it if the lamp post light wasn't there..seems to get in the way of the downward view ...? Brill idea though :clap:

Sigh....very thought provoking image , very sad, certainley on theme . Great motion contrast against the flowers but as per Treehugger & Penguin the colors don't "fit" for me somehow ? Toned down a little ( seems very red ) it might add to the sombre message of the shot ?

Great idea though.....look forward to seeing the rest of your 52 (y)

Thanks for dropping by again Lynne, you are putting me to shame in me not being able to comment on too many threads due to work time constraints. Also, I make a bit of a point of not looking at others take on the theme until I have managed to post my own, unfortunately this is a bit of a vicious circle in that I havent been able to post mine until this evening by which time everyone else is ready for the next theme :LOL:
Thanks for looking/commenting (y)

Well! Finally managed to capture something for the this weeks theme 'Sweet'

It took me a while to come up with something that was away from food stuff etc.
The thinking behind this photograph was that at this time of year following the Christmas/New Year season, some may be a bit short on money. I wanted to portray having no money, skint etc So with this in mind, I came up with 'Sweet Fanny Adams' nowt but buttons in the purse :shrug:

Your comments/critique are welcome as always.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainblake/6772222939/][/URL]

Well that made me smile Iain,
I like the shot and the green and yellow work really well together, The DOF is spot on. Maybe bring the button a bit forward to get it more in focus maybe but not sure. Well done and worth the wait :clap:.

Iain,

Direction - I think this is a great shot; different, cute, and on theme. Though I have to say (and please don't take this the wrong way); you've photographed a lot of these foot/paw prints before, making it much less original than if it had been something you'd never done before.

Fear - Really like the point of view, I can feel the height and the fear of falling.

Sigh - Again, I like this a lot (especially the edit). Actually, it could have been Direction, Fear and Sigh all in one! (y)

Sweet - :thinking: I haven't got a clue what "Sweet Fanny Adams" is!

Hi Iain,

A great take on this weeks theme, good choice of colours very nicely composed.

Carol

Excellent pic Iain Excellent (y)

Love your take on the theme again, great colours, really like the DOF used with the button, wondering though, Did you try any with more than the One button??

Let me translate for you.....:naughty:

Sweet Fanny Adams = Sweet F*** All
Beat me to it :LOL:

Last edited:
a jock with a purse??????????? I am confused...

Nice lighting on this, although the theme didn't jump out at me.

Well that made me smile Iain,
I like the shot and the green and yellow work really well together, The DOF is spot on. Maybe bring the button a bit forward to get it more in focus maybe but not sure. Well done and worth the wait :clap:.

Cheers Trevor, I did try with various configurations and set ups but plumped for this one in the end. Thanks for looking/commenting. (y)

Iain,

Direction - I think this is a great shot; different, cute, and on theme. Though I have to say (and please don't take this the wrong way); you've photographed a lot of these foot/paw prints before, making it much less original than if it had been something you'd never done before.

Fear - Really like the point of view, I can feel the height and the fear of falling.

Sigh - Again, I like this a lot (especially the edit). Actually, it could have been Direction, Fear and Sigh all in one!

Sweet - :thinking: I haven't got a clue what "Sweet Fanny Adams" is!

Thanks Nathalie, on direction, you are right they are part of a series I have taken and maybe should have tried something different but it was taken that week so it went in (i know lazy sod but hey :D)

Sweet Fanny Adams has been explained by Slimbert above so eloquently :LOL:

Let me translate for you.....:naughty:

Sweet Fanny Adams = Sweet F*** All

Cheers Damipedia :LOL:

Hi Iain,

A great take on this weeks theme, good choice of colours very nicely composed.

Carol

Thanks Carol

Excellent pic Iain Excellent (y)

Love your take on the theme again, great colours, really like the DOF used with the button, wondering though, Did you try any with more than the One button??

Beat me to it :LOL:

Cheers Dean, I did take some with more buttons but it seemed quite crowded as they are quite big buttons. (y)

a jock with a purse??????????? I am confused...

Buttons will be the currency in Scotland once we get our independence :D

Nice lighting on this, although the theme didn't jump out at me.

Cheers Phil, it does need a little explaining to fit the theme but whats a little crowbarring between friends :D

Well thought out and executed, loving the yellow with the green too it just works. ;)

Playing catch up Iain,

Sigh - Can't add anything that hasn't already been said, a well captured thought provoking photo. I really like that one a lot.

Sweet - Another good take on the theme, I know the Sweet FA feeling well.. As suggested maybe the button a little more in focus but I really like the DOF :)

Well thought out and executed, loving the yellow with the green too it just works. ;)

Thanks Alby, glad you think it works, because I do know it needed a little explaining. :D

Playing catch up Iain,

Sigh - Can't add anything that hasn't already been said, a well captured thought provoking photo. I really like that one a lot.

Sweet - Another good take on the theme, I know the Sweet FA feeling well.. As suggested maybe the button a little more in focus but I really like the DOF :)

Thanks to you too Roly, much appreciated.

LOving Direction and especially like sweet.......I must admit I need to start thinking out of that square cardboard type think ....

Thanks Simon (y)
I must admit, sometimes thinking outside the box is a bit of a hit and miss affair. It works sometimes, others its way off the mark and people don't get it :LOL:

Great idea and nice image to boot. Lovely lighting and dof..

That's sweet too :)

Thanks to you too Stephen (y)
Yes as said above sometimes thinking outside the box needs a little explaining :LOL:

What a brilliant take on the theme, Iain. Good to see the old crowbar in action. (y)

The purse looks to posh to be penniless, but that's just nit picking! I love the 2 colours. Full marks for creativity, Iain. :clap:

btw - Fanny Adams was a real person - a little girl who was the victim of a horrific murder about 150 years ago.

Jean

Hi Iain that is a great shot, love the idea! Only thing I would suggest is a little bit of a black border to lift it off the page.

Thanks Michael (y)
I like your suggestion about the border, I was thinking of a key line but never got around to it :LOL:

What a brilliant take on the theme, Iain. Good to see the old crowbar in action. (y)

The purse looks to posh to be penniless, but that's just nit picking! I love the 2 colours. Full marks for creativity, Iain. :clap:

btw - Fanny Adams was a real person - a little girl who was the victim of a horrific murder about 150 years ago.

Jean

:LOL: Thanks Jean, you can't beat a bit of crowbar action on your images to make them fit :LOL:

Yes, I did google "Sweet Fanny Adams" and read about that. It also said the name was synonomous (sp) with the word "nothing" for some reason:shrug:

Thanks again both for looking and commenting

Back