weekly blakester's 52 for 2012, Week 52 "Busy (Beach Party)" Post 1215 FINISHED

#1, a very nice clean image with a great deal of interest, well done!

Number 1 for industry is a cracking shot, really like the acute angle it really emphasizes (can't spell) the towering of the buildings, Great colours & Shapes, i would put that on my wall (y)

Number 2 is a real nice shot too, a great contrast of architecture, am liking the little splashes of colour dotted about the pic :)

#1 for industry tick all the boxes for the theme. #2 is very intereting though with the contrast of old and new, can't stop looking at it.

Hi iain
Cannot add anything to what has already been said. Nice compositions with just a little niggle on each it seems.

Cheers Alan (y)
I can live with the little niggles :LOL: I just need to work a wee bit harder.

Your first industry shot is fantastic IMO. The colours are great and the angle of the image works really well. A great looking building. :clap:

Thanks Phil, first time I had a proper look at the building. Worth a revisit for the many photo opportunities I think.

No.1 for the industry shot and a huge no.1. An absoolute cracker for me.

Thanks for your kind comments Robert, much appreciated.

#1, a very nice clean image with a great deal of interest, well done!

Thanks Gramps, there are a lot of interesting angles on that building I will definitely have another go at it

Number 1 for industry is a cracking shot, really like the acute angle it really emphasizes (can't spell) the towering of the buildings, Great colours & Shapes, i would put that on my wall (y)

Number 2 is a real nice shot too, a great contrast of architecture, am liking the little splashes of colour dotted about the pic :)

Cheers Dean (y)

#1 for industry tick all the boxes for the theme. #2 is very intereting though with the contrast of old and new, can't stop looking at it.

Thanks Nigel, I too like the contrast along the London skyline. There are so many photography opportunities in and around London. It has become a favourite photography destination for me.

Just popping in to say well done & congrats on your POTY this month :clap:

Just popping in to say well done & congrats on your POTY this month :clap:

Thanks Lynne :D
I am really chuffed at the result, there are some fantastic images in there, stiff competition indeed. I am struggling to get something for this months though:thinking:

Number 1 for both secure and industry for me as well Iain, really like the DOF on secure and love the lighting, composition and colours on Industry.

Another couple of fantastic weeks form you, good work :)

Pic 1 for Industry is a fantastic image, great job!

Thanks Richard (y)

Number 1 for both secure and industry for me as well Iain, really like the DOF on secure and love the lighting, composition and colours on Industry.

Another couple of fantastic weeks form you, good work :)

Thanks to you too Roly, I am happy with how this 52 of mine has gone so far :D

Yes I like the Lloyds building one a lot. Great shot!

(BTW, isn't it the Lloyds underwriters building, not Lloyds bank? I could easily be wrong).

Yes I like the Lloyds building one a lot. Great shot!

(BTW, isn't it the Lloyds underwriters building, not Lloyds bank? I could easily be wrong).

Thanks Mark(y)

and

Yes it is the Lloyds underwriters building ;) Lynton kindly pointed that out to me earlier but I have decided to add a little artistic licence :LOL:

Both industry shots are good in my eye, but I'd buck the trend and say I prefer no.2. The historic with a modern industrial background just looks good and says so much.

Both industry shots are good in my eye, but I'd buck the trend and say I prefer no.2. The historic with a modern industrial background just looks good and says so much.

Cheers Stephen, that was my thinking behind the image, the contrast between old and new. Much appreciated (y)

Industry: #1 caught my eye and had me going back and looking, and looking. I love the composition, the lighting and the perspective. It's an (worker) ant's eye view of the temples to big business!!

#2 had less immediate visual impact, but there is so much to look at in this shot I found myself going back to that one as well! I love the contrast between the old and new. I'd have liked a tad more detail in the shadows, but hey it was dark and the overall result if excellent.

I know what you mean about needing a bit more than 24mm - but it makes you be selective about how you compose the shot. And a quality wider lens would have me scurrying to one of those financial institutions to remortgage the house! :LOL:

Jean

stuck between 1 and 2
I like the colours in number 1, but the idea and the lighting in number 2 look great.

number 2 it is for me.

nice shots Iain

Thanks Darren, your positive vote and comments are much appreciated. (y)

Industry: #1 caught my eye and had me going back and looking, and looking. I love the composition, the lighting and the perspective. It's an (worker) ant's eye view of the temples to big business!!

#2 had less immediate visual impact, but there is so much to look at in this shot I found myself going back to that one as well! I love the contrast between the old and new. I'd have liked a tad more detail in the shadows, but hey it was dark and the overall result if excellent.

I know what you mean about needing a bit more than 24mm - but it makes you be selective about how you compose the shot. And a quality wider lens would have me scurrying to one of those financial institutions to remortgage the house! :LOL:

Jean

Thanks Jean, I would have to remortgage the house too for a wide angle lens. I seem to have expensive tastes :D

Thanks Mark(y)

and

Yes it is the Lloyds underwriters building ;) Lynton kindly pointed that out to me earlier but I have decided to add a little artistic licence :LOL:

:LOL::LOL: 'tis a "service" I am glad to provide FOC. (y)

Seriously though, following your 52 and a couple of others....... some great stuff so far...

:LOL::LOL: 'tis a "service" I am glad to provide FOC. (y)

Seriously though, following your 52 and a couple of others....... some great stuff so far...

Thanks Lynton, you keep me honest with your wikipedia like knowledge :LOL:
Thanks too for your kind comments on my 52 so far (y)

I see the good folks of Norfolk can sleep easy tonight knowing that the countryside won't be ablaze any time soon :D

Secure - I like both photos, but my preference is for the two girls because it's such a happy photo. :)

Industry - #1 for me. It's nice to see a modern take on the theme.

Secure - I like both photos, but my preference is for the two girls because it's such a happy photo. :)

Industry - #1 for me. It's nice to see a modern take on the theme.

Thanks Nathalie, the lonely wheel shot was as a banker for being on theme but my personal favourite is the one of the girls too.

Again for industry #1 is my preference too.

Cheers for looking in and commenting, much appreciated. Iain

Thanks Lynton, you keep me honest with your wikipedia like knowledge :LOL:
Thanks too for your kind comments on my 52 so far (y)

I see the good folks of Norfolk can sleep easy tonight knowing that the countryside won't be ablaze any time soon :D

yes, i do have the uncanny ability of reading something once, and then retaining it forever. Unfortunately I know a load of crap though (as demonstrated to Sharon on sat Night) whilst watching £1m drop live.......

Which of these started first?

Me: "Little Chef. 1958. £1m on it. Next Question. "

I *think* she called me a "sad duck..." :shrug:

Norfolk is safe tonight..... however, just means when it does happen we will have so much wire wool it will be a Sainsburys shopping trolley we are whirling about...

#1 Industry is a cracker - great composition and lovely selection of tones and colours.

I love this shot, bang on theme and love the colours the perspective and those buildings on the right are fantastic the way they shape / curve round towards us.

Is that lighting as was or is there a bit of a HDR effect added?

As shot Paul, no HDR applied. It has been pp'd to boost things a little but nothing beyond levels/curves etc.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

#1 Industry is a cracker - great composition and lovely selection of tones and colours.

Thanks Phil much appreciated. (y)

Well I finally achieved what I was after for week 7 - 'Root'.
A little background to introduce the image.
I have lived in North Essex for over 18 years, I am originally from Scotland. My eldest daughter has just returned from Oz after a year away, Emma is only home for a little under a month. We decided to go to Scotland to see our folks before Emma returns to Oz for another year. The image below was a quick set up on the way north, as you can see its at the border. Always a welcome sight for me this view :D
Anyway, onto the photograph......"Back to my Roots"

I would have liked complete light trails from the vehicles but I am quite pleased with the image nonetheless as we still had 100miles to go and was keen to press on. C&C welcome as always.

Great original take on the theme... great trails and starbursts - Like it (y)

Have they started setting up check points yet Iain - looks like GAM Missiles behind the bushes already :cautious:

Thanks Dean, glad you like it.
No checkpoints just yet, I couldn't possibly comment on the missiles, they're a national secret ;)

Cracking light trail. I like the starbursts on the lights.

Thanks Michael, (y)

blakester said:
Well I finally achieved what I was after for week 7 - 'Root'.
A little background to introduce the image.
I have lived in North Essex for over 18 years, I am originally from Scotland. My eldest daughter has just returned from Oz after a year away, Emma is only home for a little under a month. We decided to go to Scotland to see our folks before Emma returns to Oz for another year. The image below was a quick set up on the way north, as you can see its at the border. Always a welcome sight for me this view :D
Anyway, onto the photograph......"Back to my Roots"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainblake/6887963171/

I would have liked complete light trails from the vehicles but I am quite pleased with the image nonetheless as we still had 100miles to go and was keen to press on. C&C welcome as always.

Very nice light trails and original take in the theme.

I like that and works with the theme with your explanation of your interpretation too :)

Cheers Paul (y)

I also like it, the sign gives it meaning the light trails direction. Very nice take on the theme and a cracking photo.

Thanks Martin, much appreciated.

Very nice light trails and original take in the theme.

Thanks Richard

Like the photo a lot and really interesting take on the theme.
Myself, I thought about the 'ones roots' interpretation of the theme but quickly dismissed it as being impossible.

Thank you too Mike.
I understand about it being a difficult take on the theme. Mine wouldnt have been possible either had it not been for the timing of our trip to Scotland.

Hi Iain, sorry I'm just visiting here for the first time. I love your industry shots, number one wins it for me, cracking lighting and detail.

This is the second 'back to my roots' shot I've seen but a totally different idea. I like how the light trails lead you round the corner.
I spent many an hour on that road when I lived in Prestwick!

Hi Iain, sorry I'm just visiting here for the first time. I love your industry shots, number one wins it for me, cracking lighting and detail.

This is the second 'back to my roots' shot I've seen but a totally different idea. I like how the light trails lead you round the corner.
I spent many an hour on that road when I lived in Prestwick!

No worries on that one Marsha, there are a lot of 52's still going strong which is very encouraging.
Thanks for looking in and commenting :)
Yes it is a well travelled road for us too, we dont go up as often as we used to now my daughters are older and more independent :(

Ahh.. I like it. The light trails are fantastic as they are, the starbursts add to the mood of the pic. A good take on a tricky theme.

Back