weekly blakesters 52 for 2013 Finally Complete! Last 3 weeks added

Hi ya

you've done it again....great imagination to see the link to the theme...think on balance I prefer your original edit ( andy's is just a touch to harsh for me) though I think maybe a little more punch to the sky ? Very subtle use of HDR which works a treat :clap:
Enjoy your course matey & see you in week 3 (y)

Great composition and processing. I can't add much to what has been said.

Well done. (y)

I think its brilliant - love the colours and the detail you've brought out in the wooden floor...

One thing I might consider, is to flip it so that the line run up from the bottom left into the shot - there's no writing to give something like this away and to my eye it makes the shot even more appealing.

Well done :clap:

By the layout of the cars it looks like the front car is getting ready for the opening season followed by the second car and the third car is not even planning on removing it's cover yet;).
Great interpretation of the topic.

Nice shot. like the colours and the comp. I get a real feeling of abondonment from this, so spot on the theme.(y)

Very good idea to show the off season for the Pier, the grain of the wooden floor really stands out against the vibrant colours (y)

Did you lift the cover or was it like that :D

I like the processing, it definitely livens up the picture. Good use of lead in lines too.

Thanks Nicky, I wasn't sure how the processing would be received as I am sure its not to everyone's taste.

Yet again an excellent submission the floor is excellent and it does have that out of season feeling only a funfair can have

Thanks Allan, the scene set itself really, I wanted to portray the closed feel of the place.

Iain Snapseed is awesome, I think it's £2.99 for Apple but I just downloaded for free on my hubby's Samsung phone! It does loads, definitely recommended.

Thanks Marsha, I will have a look at that. £2.99 appeals to my Scottishness ;)

Hi Iain, that is a really nice picture, everything works really well. Love the pp. Maybe just me but I am wondering if it needs a slight straighten?

Thanks Michael (y)
Not sure about the straighten :thinking: as i had a look when you mentioned it. The lamposts left and right are both vertical to my eye so not sure about a straighten.

Like the way the colours, lines, background draw you into picture.

Thanks, much appreciated.

like your POV, great processing.. really brings out the textures and the colours pop..

Thanks Michelle

Hi ya

you've done it again....great imagination to see the link to the theme...think on balance I prefer your original edit ( andy's is just a touch to harsh for me) though I think maybe a little more punch to the sky ? Very subtle use of HDR which works a treat :clap:
Enjoy your course matey & see you in week 3 (y)

Thanks Lynne, I know not to everyone's taste but I do like hdr, I find it a useful tool.

Great composition and processing. I can't add much to what has been said.

Well done.

Thanks for looking/commenting Dave.

I think its brilliant - love the colours and the detail you've brought out in the wooden floor...

One thing I might consider, is to flip it so that the line run up from the bottom left into the shot - there's no writing to give something like this away and to my eye it makes the shot even more appealing.

Well done :clap:

Thanks Graham, there is some writing in there which isnt visible at forum sized images, so a good idea, I like your thinking but unfortunately not possible due to the writing.

Love that shot, like the processing and angle.

Thanks (y)

By the layout of the cars it looks like the front car is getting ready for the opening season followed by the second car and the third car is not even planning on removing it's cover yet;).
Great interpretation of the topic.

Thanks Mandy.

Nice shot. like the colours and the comp. I get a real feeling of abondonment from this, so spot on the theme.(y)

Cheers Brian.

Very good idea to show the off season for the Pier, the grain of the wooden floor really stands out against the vibrant colours (y)

Did you lift the cover or was it like that :D

Thanks (y)
The cover was actually lying on the deck and I replaced it over the car but not fully as I wanted the car colours to show.

The pictures on your wall look interesting

Really like the colours of your Season picture and the bleak yet colourful feel it has

Hi Christine,
Are you referring to the pebble feet pictures on Marsha's wall? If yes, they are part of a series that I created, they have made more than one appearance in my 52 last year, more here Stone footprints

Thanks for the comments on season (y)

What a lovely idea and some fabulous feet photos there, how on earth do you find so many flattish stones?

Thanks Christine, they are a particular favourite of mine.
Searching for suitable pebbles took much longer than taking the photographs themselves. I have spent many an enjoyable hour on the beach at Aldeburgh Suffolk searching, and to be honest I enjoyed that as much as the photography :LOL:

Really like your interpretation of Season, I knew without reading the information on the image what it was and it works really well. Great stuff!

Really like your interpretation of Season, I knew without reading the information on the image what it was and it works really well. Great stuff!

Cheers Ben (y)
Its good to hear it met the brief without explanation, that doesn't happen every time. A little crowbarring into theme is not uncommon :LOL:

Onto week 3 already. As it was a day in the house, I have opted for a still life.
My thinking with this one is centre of gravity. C&C welcome as always.

Week 3 - Gravity by iain blake, on Flickr

I love it, great interpretation and very well shot with a lovely clean background!

Thanks Paul (y)
Its a simple interpretation too but I am happy with it.
An early submission too, so there maybe time for a different take.

Hi, Iain, had a good look via Flickr to see if any crit. Well, none. Hmmm, another look....very slight hot spot on the egg. Wonder how one gets rid of such things in camera....:thinking:

It's a very clean, well lit, composed photograph. Some cracking detail and colour on the egg. Cracking shadow as well.

Good show, and, as you say, time left for more :D

Cheers.

Well, just opened my thoughts up a bit (y)

Nice one!

This being my 3rd 52 week challenge, I have a system or thought process when trying to come up with an idea for the weekly themes. I tend to put the theme into a phrase, I find it helps to come up with the ideas as it (for me anyway) broadens the scope.
This one for example centre of gravity, opened up quite a few possibilities of things balancing, etc

Hi, Iain, had a good look via Flickr to see if any crit. Well, none. Hmmm, another look....very slight hot spot on the egg. Wonder how one gets rid of such things in camera....:thinking:

It's a very clean, well lit, composed photograph. Some cracking detail and colour on the egg. Cracking shadow as well.

Good show, and, as you say, time left for more :D

Cheers.

Cheers Andy, as you said a slight hotspot on the egg but on account of not knowing how to avoid it, I am happy to live with it. There is still some detail in the hotspot so I am not too bothered.
Yes, still time for some more as you say, but they are likely to be of a similar vein to this one :LOL:

Not having anything in the way of special lighting I can't get my head around this type if shot....but it's very well done IMHO, I like how it looks almost painted

Hi Chris, thanks for looking/commenting.

It is lit with off camera flash.
I set the egg/spoon up on a sheet of white paper on the kitchen worktop, curved against the wall. Positioned the camera on a tripod directly in front. I handheld the flash and tried various positions until I was happy with the shadow and highlights. Cleaned the background up with levels in photoshop and some other standard tweaks, curves, saturation etc and thats it.

again no crit from me love the shadow of the spoon great exposure, I don't know how you would avoid a hotpot there, but it doesn't in the least distract from a great pic :clap:

again no crit from me love the shadow of the spoon great exposure, I don't know how you would avoid a hotpot there, but it doesn't in the least distract from a great pic :clap:

Cheers Alan, I think the hotspot is unavoidable or certainly beyond my skill set to overcome. I look at it as a compromise as to have the shadow where it is, requires lighting from above.
Thanks for looking/commenting, much appreciated.

^^^What he said!

Superb as ever:clap:

Loving the drop shadow too ;)

Thanks Marsha,
I had to get creative as it was a day in the house, so could only really go the still life route.
Yes, the drop shadow, enough said ;)

It is lit with off camera flash.
I set the egg/spoon up on a sheet of white paper on the kitchen worktop, curved against the wall. Positioned the camera on a tripod directly in front. I handheld the flash and tried various positions until I was happy with the shadow and highlights. Cleaned the background up with levels in photoshop and some other standard tweaks, curves, saturation etc and thats it.

Thanks for sharing Iain (y)

Not alot to add really apart from i really like this, great clean shot and perfect on theme!

Hi Iain

It's all been said. Your usual high standard and the most striking thing for me is the beautiful light and the clean, sharp handling.

Sorry Allan, I missed your post earlier, must've posted at the same time. :D
Thanks for your comments, the lighting was ocf, trial and error on positioning. I was mainly working off the shadows and how they looked, the rest just fell into place. Cheers

Not alot to add really apart from i really like this, great clean shot and perfect on theme!

Thanks, glad you like it (y)

Nice shot, well lite and I like the shadow. Must have taken some patience to setup it up.

Nice shot, well lite and I like the shadow. Must have taken some patience to setup it up.

Thanks Sam (y)

As for the set up, I will let you in on a secret :LOL:
The egg is held with a small piece of bluetac and the handle of the spoon was supported by a length of thread which was cloned out in pp but shhhh keep that tp yourself eh? ;)

Back