weekly BobBCN's 52 for 2024 (WEEKS 16 - EMPTY added)

Yep - interesting. Slot racing? Is that like Scalextric?

Heh, had a chuckle at this one.

First though, I think Hard is a really good photo. The bundle in the doorway took me a while to spot, but I got there in the end. I think it works better for being "hidden" in the frame as my attention was drawn to the text and architecture (lines).

Slot cars though... the bane of my life! I work in a charity shop on their eBay side, and we often get scalextric sets and cars. The value of some of them is incredible to the point where we just take the cars and bin the sets due to postage issues. But testing the cars and describing their "race damage" is the highlight of my day. That and the testing of course :) I love the detail that only a serious hobbyist (slot cars + photography) would think about. Made me smile today, so thanks!

Heh, had a chuckle at this one.

First though, I think Hard is a really good photo. The bundle in the doorway took me a while to spot, but I got there in the end. I think it works better for being "hidden" in the frame as my attention was drawn to the text and architecture (lines).

Slot cars though... the bane of my life! I work in a charity shop on their eBay side, and we often get scalextric sets and cars. The value of some of them is incredible to the point where we just take the cars and bin the sets due to postage issues. But testing the cars and describing their "race damage" is the highlight of my day. That and the testing of course :) I love the detail that only a serious hobbyist (slot cars + photography) would think about. Made me smile today, so thanks!

Thanks for the comments!!
I wouldn't mind a job like that!!

'Slot' is certainly a fun hobby, playing or racing. I used to be keen on the racing part, but now I spend more time setting up and decorating the tracks. As I said, for sure there will be more photos.....

I think I prefer the fluff in the shot, helps with context. Would love to see a picture of the whole vehicle, but thats got nothing to do with the topic!

I think I prefer the fluff in the shot, helps with context. Would love to see a picture of the whole vehicle, but thats got nothing to do with the topic!
Cheers. Maybe it will make an appearance if "s*** off a shovel" comes out as a theme!! For now, it's a Scaleauto Porsche 911 RSR, if you want to take a look.

My first thought was skateboard wheels, but I get it now.
Excellent use of the macro to get to that level of detail. I enjoy these shots of things most of us would never normally see :)

Thanks!! I agree. Even with very cheap macro rings a whole new world becomes available.

Ah that brings back memories. My son and I used to play when he was much younger, he loved it. Then they introduced a version that didn't have the tracks built in, it was all done on your phone with the cars following some lines / sensors on the track. Great capture and good luck with future races.

Ah that brings back memories. My son and I used to play when he was much younger, he loved it. Then they introduced a version that didn't have the tracks built in, it was all done on your phone with the cars following some lines / sensors on the track. Great capture and good luck with future races.

Thanks Adam! There's nowt better than analogue!!

Good detail with the soft shot, might look into the macro rings. I did a quick google re slot car racing and it is becoming much more popular recently, people enjoy racing against each other being together rather than on screen perhaps alone

That's a different take on the theme and remind me of my younger days :LOL: of 1/10th scale RC model car racing.

I prefer the tighter crop shot with less distractions.

Cheers! Me too, re the crop. Also tried RC but infinitely more difficult to control.

Good detail with the soft shot, might look into the macro rings. I did a quick google re slot car racing and it is becoming much more popular recently, people enjoy racing against each other being together rather than on screen perhaps alone

I think you are right about slot racing. We get guys bringing their kids (sons usually) to play. The kids get bored, but often the dads come back!!

quite the variety of shots to start the year I like your practice upload best, and agree your hard shot is quite poignant.

They do look pretty soft, reminds me of the RC cars I used to build many years ago. Have to dig one out of the shed when it gets warmer and see if I can get it running again.

Lucky to be so close to the sea, Me same distance which ever way I go, but I do get lots of roundabouts here

Very quick off the mark!

Bang on the theme and a beautiful bit of coast.

Great picture. Lovely coastline.

Lucky to be so close to the sea, Me same distance which ever way I go, but I do get lots of roundabouts here

Nice bit of coast, iirc we get that blue sky sometimes:)

_

Thanks for the comments!! Down in Sevilla at the moment, not on the coast, but mon dieu what a stunning place it is!!

WEEK 5 - SNAPPER'S CHOICE
From my trip to Sevilla. I didn't actually spot this until Sunday despite walking past it several times on Friday and Saturday!!!

W5 (1) by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

Reason being (as you may have guessed) is that it's a double door!! The tobacconist's was open on Friday and Saturday, closed on Sunday!!
Anyways, aside from the typical images of everything that is Sevilla, I am choosing this one as it's my favourite of the lot. I'm the snapper, my choice.

Here's the full version for context .................

W5 (2) by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

I think maybe I like the 2nd best, but the first is in the main thread just to add mystery lol

I think maybe I like the 2nd best, but the first is in the main thread just to add mystery lol

I quite like the two shot reveal, maybe "what the heck is that" should be a theme in future. Anyway, a very charming doorway, good find.

Hey Bob,

Water: I like the contrast between the blue of the sea and the sky
Snappers: So that's a painting on the door I guess from the behind the scenes image. I liked the way you framed the main post as that made it feel as if it could have been a shot into a mirrored door of some kind (y)

Hey Bob,

Water: I like the contrast between the blue of the sea and the sky
Snappers: So that's a painting on the door I guess from the behind the scenes image. I liked the way you framed the main post as that made it feel as if it could have been a shot into a mirrored door of some kind (y)

Cheers. Yes, that was the idea. To create a bit of mystery. Well ......

Reactions: LC2
WEEK 6 NEAT & TIDY

So this is the my slot club looking pretty neat and tidy - today we have an event! It usually looks like Steptoe and Sons' backyard.

Anyways, a fairly gloomy day outside + flourescent lighting + ISO on auto produced a lot of noise at 6400, so I am not happy with it. Next time tripod for sure.
And for some reason my camera was set to raw and the images I took were saved as CR2 (which I had to look up) and then convert to jpg.
I added some close ups for fun.

W6 (1) by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

W6 (2) by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

W6 (3) by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

W6 (4) by Bob Newsome Photography, on Flickr

Wow, amazing! We had a little loop.

Raw is the future! Stick with it.

I really like the close ups, especially the B&W one.

Back