weekly Boots' 52 for 2021

Pattern
Right, I'm going to be incredibly nit picky now. I would take a tiny amount off of the top. There's an annoying little straight line in the shadow (possibly the shadow of a door or something similar). This wouldn't normally matter, but with a minimalist image like this, my eye follows the nice smooth, soft light area on the left, up to the top and I see the straight line. But it really is a small thing. I do like the light and dark split, the simple colours and obviously the patterns.

Pattern
Right, I'm going to be incredibly nit picky now. I would take a tiny amount off of the top. There's an annoying little straight line in the shadow (possibly the shadow of a door or something similar). This wouldn't normally matter, but with a minimalist image like this, my eye follows the nice smooth, soft light area on the left, up to the top and I see the straight line. But it really is a small thing. I do like the light and dark split, the simple colours and obviously the patterns.
Yes, I agree! A fair point. Thanks Dominic.

I might not have spotted the shadow, but now it's been pointed out I can't unsee it!

A nicely balanced image though, and pleasant to look at. I like the graduation of light across the frame.

Nice image for Pattern, i'd also crop the top a tiny bit (now that it's been pointed out)

Nice and simple patterns image, everywhere you look you can see patterns and this is no exception. The angle of the tiles works well, did you try different options or immediately identified how it should be represented?

Nice and simple patterns image, everywhere you look you can see patterns and this is no exception. The angle of the tiles works well, did you try different options or immediately identified how it should be represented?
Thanks Stuart! I knew what I wanted, but had to try a few different positions until I found one I liked (but missed the shadow at the top).

Week 22 - Up Close

With the new theme almost upon us, and nothing in the bag, a certain desperation was starting to set in. I had the bright idea to photograph my son's Science Museum USB Space Lamp. As it turned out, it was a rubbish idea. The constantly changing colours and random shapes, together with an internal heat haze, has made it all a bit ... naff. So, once again, PABD.

It's the best of 37 and it is close!

Up Close.JPG

Patterns - fits the bill and I like the angle you have chosen.

Up Close - that is a strange light! They look like colourful leaves. I'd be interested to see a wider shot - I cannot imagine what it looks like :) Is it like a lava lamp?

Patterns - fits the bill and I like the angle you have chosen.

Up Close - that is a strange light! They look like colourful leaves. I'd be interested to see a wider shot - I cannot imagine what it looks like :) Is it like a lava lamp?
Yes, it's like a mini lava lamp, except instead of coloured gloop, there are lots and lots of little silvery shapes bobbing about. And they don't hang about for you to photography, and while that's going on, the colours keeps changing.

Week 23 - Personal

Another week with much activity, but almost none of it photographic. Here is this week's excuse.

Personal.JPG

Nice take on the theme Paul ..
One you'd rather not I guess :D

The dreaded tax return! And it's intimately personal too :)

DoF works well to pull out the important words to let us know what the subject is all about. Good stuff.

Up close
I would never have guessed what it was, many times I have envisaged a great photo of an object but it just doesn't get conveyed well when photographed, whether that's my skill level is open to question. Possibly it would benefit from some sharpening to define the shapes

Personal
It's not something I have ever completed but I'm sure they can be very time consuming.

I thought they did them all on line now but however they're done I'm glad I don't have to do one.

Up close
I would never have guessed what it was, many times I have envisaged a great photo of an object but it just doesn't get conveyed well when photographed, whether that's my skill level is open to question. Possibly it would benefit from some sharpening to define the shapes

Personal
It's not something I have ever completed but I'm sure they can be very time consuming.

Thanks Stuart!

I thought they did them all on line now but however they're done I'm glad I don't have to do one.

Dave, yes most people do file the return online, as I did. This is the snail mail notice telling me that I am required to file a return.

Ouch.. a personal reminder that I do need to look at mine at some point. Nice dof btw..

Green
A good upward shot of the canopy. It maybe just a smidge bright on the right hand side. I like how the underside of the branches are like the veins of a leaf.

A nice angle on the green - I find these shots can be tricky to get the right exposure.

Week 25 - Snapper's Choice

Acid Etching.JPG

Herein lies a tale of woe... (well a bit of woe)

Doing some cleaning I decided it would be a good idea to de-scale the shower tray, which was looking a bit manky. All well and good. Unfortunately the metal cover to the drain did not like the hydrochloric acid in the descaler!

So, after rinsing it and finding it was half etched, and half not etched - I thought I might as well etch it all. I thought it looked rather pretty in its acid bath, so I took a picture.

Nicely abstract Paul (y)

Back