weekly Bruja's 2015 52 CHRISTMAS and DONE!!!!

Hi Jill :)

Mouth - What can I say, really liking this, and as others have said brighter/redder lips would of finished this off nicely :)

Crowd - Nice idea... for me I like the minimalist look of the first shot, says it with the word really well :)

Close Up - Not so keen on the first image due to the background, would prefer it as a tighter crop, BUT the second I really like, the lines radiating from the corner, nice bold colour, easily the shot for me :)

Hi Jill :)

Mouth - What can I say, really liking this, and as others have said brighter/redder lips would of finished this off nicely :)

And as I have said, that would just have been rude rather than a sensitively taken pic of me eating one of my five a day :rolleyes:

Crowd - Nice idea... for me I like the minimalist look of the first shot, says it with the word really well :)

Thanks Dean (y)

Close Up - Not so keen on the first image due to the background, would prefer it as a tighter crop, BUT the second I really like, the lines radiating from the corner, nice bold colour, easily the shot for me :)

Glad you like it (y) I just thought it was far too easy a shot :(

Last edited:
Well the sun finally came out after a week of rain and today it hit 29C :cool: so we set off for the fishing and leisure port of Garrucha to get my machine shot. I wanted something that looked a bit dirty and well used (a bit like me :ROFLMAO:) and thought the fishing boats might provide me with something suitable. It also looked like I might get a Scenic reshoot too :)

So, I give you........

MACHINE

Machine by BrujaJill, on Flickr​

Just clicked through and there is much more detail on flickr.

SCENIC RE SHOOT

Scenic Re shoot by BrujaJill, on Flickr​

Last edited:
Hi, thats one hell of a machine, you have some great detail in there and the DoF is perfect, what on earth is it ?,
nice scenic shot too lovely reflection in the water

I wanted something that looked a bit dirty and well used (a bit like me :ROFLMAO:)
:whistle:

And there was me hoping for more flesh too :D

Nice re-shoot Jill, and lots of interesting detail in the "machine" (y)

Hi Jill,

It sounds like you're having lovely weather there,

I love your machine shot - great composition and loads of detail in there too. Are they winches for hauling the nets in?

Scenic reshoot - can't argue with that. It's a lovely scene :clap:

Close Up - Good detail and focus. I also like the fact you lined up the bottom let corner with the direction of the leaves

Machine - Lots of detail to look at. Again the focus is good. It also looks like you’ve done well as I can imagine the light was flooding in from the windows behind

Reshoot - Certainly a nice scene you may see on a postcard. I think cropping either top or bottom would bring the main part of the image away from the central line

Really love your take on crowd Jill!
Cant see the 1st close up, but absolutely love the 2nd. Cracking image
;)

I like both of them Jill.

Phil

Thanks Phil (y)

Hi, thats one hell of a machine, you have some great detail in there and the DoF is perfect, what on earth is it ?,
nice scenic shot too lovely reflection in the water

Glad you like them Allan. It's a series of winches bolted to the floor of a large trawler which is used for hauling in the nets.

I do like the machine shot. Would I be right in guessing it's the winches for fishing nets.
It's not, but it could almost be selectively coloured.

Hi Tim, you win the prize :) it is indeed a set of winches on a trawler.

:whistle:

And there was me hoping for more flesh too :D

Nice re-shoot Jill, and lots of interesting detail in the "machine" (y)

Well I'm certainly not scenic and if I was a machine I would have been decommissioned years ago as I became unreliable and certainly won't start on cold winter mornings without a good application of WD 40 and strong coffee :sleep:

Hi Jill,

It sounds like you're having lovely weather there,

I love your machine shot - great composition and loads of detail in there too. Are they winches for hauling the nets in?

Scenic reshoot - can't argue with that. It's a lovely scene :clap:

Hi Lorraine, glad you like the machine shot and, yes, they are winches for hauling in the trawl nets. As for Scenic, it's lovely at this time of year before itgets too hot and all the tourists arrive. :whistle:

Love the Machine shot Jill. Fantastic detail on the cabling.

Scenic re-shoot is also lovely. Bit on the 50/50 side compositionally for my liking, but still a cracker.
The ripply reflections are lovely.

and if I was a machine I
Well I did wonder about you being stretched on a "rack" it may have even helped, who knows :D

Yes that's a lot of Machine there ... good detail.

Scenic Reshoot ... nice ... love the reflection.

HI Jill

Close up....much as I adore the tat's it has to be the frond...love it love it love it :clap:

Machine....yup ,sure is , plenty of detail , good angle but maybe needs a touch more boost of something....contrast maybe :thinking:

Close Up - Good detail and focus. I also like the fact you lined up the bottom let corner with the direction of the leaves

Machine - Lots of detail to look at. Again the focus is good. It also looks like you’ve done well as I can imagine the light was flooding in from the windows behind

Reshoot - Certainly a nice scene you may see on a postcard. I think cropping either top or bottom would bring the main part of the image away from the central line

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment Peter. your feedback is always welcome. I could crop the sky from Scenic as I wouldn't want to lose the reflection and I see what you mean about the central line but I quite like the symmetry.

Really love your take on crowd Jill!
Cant see the 1st close up, but absolutely love the 2nd. Cracking image
;)

Thanks so much Hazel, I've fixed the link to Close Up 1 now (y)

Love the Machine shot Jill. Fantastic detail on the cabling.

Scenic re-shoot is also lovely. Bit on the 50/50 side compositionally for my liking, but still a cracker.
The ripply reflections are lovely.

Hi Ruth :wave: thanks for stopping by (y) Glad you like them.

Well I did wonder about you being stretched on a "rack" it may have even helped, who knows :D

You been at the 50 shades again :naughty:

Yes that's a lot of Machine there ... good detail.

Scenic Reshoot ... nice ... love the reflection.

Hi David, thanks for looking (y)

HI Jill

Close up....much as I adore the tat's it has to be the frond...love it love it love it :clap:

Machine....yup ,sure is , plenty of detail , good angle but maybe needs a touch more boost of something....contrast maybe :thinking:

Hiya Lynne, it's a fan palm leaf from one of the trees in the garden. Thanks for commenting (y)

Lovely machine shot Jill love the tiny splashes of color checked out on flickr and yes the detail really pops. And for no reason something else I picked up from your flick picture my Grandad was a Brookes.
Scenic re shoot yes its really good like how the buildings run away in the shot and the reflections are really nice but enough is enough it makes me jealous and envious of your location :)

Hi, Machine, what a belting machine that it. The splash of red works well. Loads of detail, filling the frame and good overall detail.

Scenic, like it and want to be there :)

Cheers.

Lovely machine shot Jill love the tiny splashes of color checked out on flickr and yes the detail really pops. And for no reason something else I picked up from your flick picture my Grandad was a Brookes.
Scenic re shoot yes its really good like how the buildings run away in the shot and the reflections are really nice but enough is enough it makes me jealous and envious of your location :)

Hi Simon, what a coincidence :). Glad you like them (y)

Hi, Machine, what a belting machine that it. The splash of red works well. Loads of detail, filling the frame and good overall detail.

Scenic, like it and want to be there :)

Cheers.

Cheers to you Andy, and when you get to my age maybe you can :rolleyes:

This is the first idea that came into my head, and, luckily, I had what I needed in the house. It took me back to my infant school days when we were learning the alphabet........

ALPHABET

Alphabet by BrujaJill, on Flickr

And don't forget to check out Chris's thread here

Last edited:
Thought I was quick off the mark :)

A nice, simple but effective photograph and one I could see in a primary school wall along with the rest of the alphabet. It looks a little noisy, but I feel that adds rather than detracts. Square crop also works well.

Cheers.

Hi Jill,

Nice shot that fits the theme well (I checked a dictionary - there's very little leeway as far as alphabet goes :)). The apple stands out well against the background - I agree with Andy, that one could go on a school wall :)

at first I though the whole thing should be in focus but a second look showed that the dof allows the 'a' to stand out more, good job :)

Plain and simple Jill, it works very well.

(And I promise not to mention you could have peeled it first to keep in with your nekid theme :D )

First rate outside-the-box entry for Alphabet ... in fact I'd go so far as to say the apple without the "a" would be cool interpretation.

It is a little noisy.

On a Major catch up because I have been out of the country for a few weeks:eek:. Now I have a major backlog to catch up with didn't realise how much until I looked back better get the camera out asap.

Mouth.... Oh ah! blimey is it hot in this office or am I having a hot flush;) Love the shot! eerrr great ..... Action shot?:rolleyes: What else can I say:)

Crowd... Blimey now you making me use my brain too! Clever thought process behind that one, almost to clever for my singular brain cell :). Freezing cold? having just come back from the Arctic Newcastle sounds positively boiling! However thats no good for your MS is it :( Nice shot, think number 1 works better for me, cleaner than No2.

Close Up .... I think No 2 is closed to the Theme but like both shots... As said above I think the background in No1 is a tiny bit distracting, and No2 is great very abstract and strong diagonals always work well. Nice work.

Machine.... love this! Great DOF, nice detail in the winch drums and brake mechanisms, works for me!

Reshoot .... Nice scene, bit of a Pano going on there nice reflection, bet it would look nice at night too

Alphabet ....Very "Apple"aling, :exit:Clever take again! really sharp DOF again and like the contrasting background. The edges of the apple almost blend into the background with that DOF. Taken with a higher ISO too I guess...

Nice Work Jill(y) I better get my finger out else DK will think I have given up!

Hi, as you mentioned take you back to picture books, nice green BG that goes well with the orange "a" simple but works well (y)

Can't argue with the others :) The shot is bang on theme and very nicely executed!

Good spot for machine, the composition works well too.

Scenic is on theme, and the long crop suits nicely.

Good use of DOF in alphabet. An interesting choice of background colour, but it compliments the apple well.

Thought I was quick off the mark :)

A nice, simple but effective photograph and one I could see in a primary school wall along with the rest of the alphabet. It looks a little noisy, but I feel that adds rather than detracts. Square crop also works well.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy :)

Hi Jill,

Nice shot that fits the theme well (I checked a dictionary - there's very little leeway as far as alphabet goes :)). The apple stands out well against the background - I agree with Andy, that one could go on a school wall :)

Yes, Alphabet is a toughie :thinking:

at first I though the whole thing should be in focus but a second look showed that the dof allows the 'a' to stand out more, good job :)

Thanks for looking Summer and glad you like it (y)

Plain and simple Jill, it works very well.

(And I promise not to mention you could have peeled it first to keep in with your nekid theme :D )

Hahahahahah, and there's no chance with Sound either :rolleyes:

First rate outside-the-box entry for Alphabet ... in fact I'd go so far as to say the apple without the "a" would be cool interpretation.

It is a little noisy.

Thanks David. it was shot in low light at ISO 400 so I don't know why it ended up so noisy :thinking:

On a Major catch up because I have been out of the country for a few weeks:eek:. Now I have a major backlog to catch up with didn't realise how much until I looked back better get the camera out asap.

Mouth.... Oh ah! blimey is it hot in this office or am I having a hot flush;) Love the shot! eerrr great ..... Action shot?:rolleyes: What else can I say:)

Crowd... Blimey now you making me use my brain too! Clever thought process behind that one, almost to clever for my singular brain cell :). Freezing cold? having just come back from the Arctic Newcastle sounds positively boiling! However thats no good for your MS is it :( Nice shot, think number 1 works better for me, cleaner than No2.

Close Up .... I think No 2 is closed to the Theme but like both shots... As said above I think the background in No1 is a tiny bit distracting, and No2 is great very abstract and strong diagonals always work well. Nice work.

Machine.... love this! Great DOF, nice detail in the winch drums and brake mechanisms, works for me!

Reshoot .... Nice scene, bit of a Pano going on there nice reflection, bet it would look nice at night too

Alphabet ....Very "Apple"aling, :exit:Clever take again! really sharp DOF again and like the contrasting background. The edges of the apple almost blend into the background with that DOF. Taken with a higher ISO too I guess...

Nice Work Jill(y) I better get my finger out else DK will think I have given up!

Wow, thanks for all that Steve, that was a major catch up.:)

Hi, as you mentioned take you back to picture books, nice green BG that goes well with the orange "a" simple but works well (y)

Thanks Alan (y)

Can't argue with the others :) The shot is bang on theme and very nicely executed!

Glad you like it Ruth :)

Good spot for machine, the composition works well too.

Scenic is on theme, and the long crop suits nicely.

Good use of DOF in alphabet. An interesting choice of background colour, but it compliments the apple well.

Thanks for popping in and leaving such nice feedback :)

Each week I think the next week will be easier and, much to my surprise, it isn't! And I'm not just talking about this challenge. We all have other things going on in our lives, challenges to face, things to celebrate, stuff to do, and life is never tidy. I've got a metal poster on my kitchen wall which says "life is Simple, it's just not Easy' and I often mix up the two. My life is simple in many ways (as is my creativity if the comments on here are to be believed, I like simplifying concepts :D it's what I used to do as a lecturer), I'm retired (since 1998 because of ill-health/disability), I live a pretty simple life out here with MrB and Scooby Doo (the cat!) and the part of Spain I live in is very rural and therefore very quiet but the disease I have is insidious, it slowly and almost imperceptibly screws things up and it's not until I try to do something I could do easily a couple of years ago that I realise things have changed. For those of you who don't know, MS causes problems with nerve conduction therefore any physical or mental function can be affected as everything we do relies on nerves communicating effectively.

Whilst other themes in this 52 have caused me problems physically, MrB having to haul me up from the sand for RELAX and hold tightly onto me so that I didn't fall in the dock for MACHINE, this week's theme has highlighted a problem I have with SOUND. If there is too much sound it makes my brain feel itchyscratchy, a bit like you can feel when someone scrapes their fingers down a blackboard. I can't concentrate you see, there is too much input all at once. I can't follow conversations if more than 2 people are speaking, and I find it exhausting when I try. Sometimes I can't tolerate conversation at all and it's turned me into a bit of a hermit socially (But I still enjoy shopping :D). At home I listen to audio books as I find they are very good background noise, quite soothing, no sudden sounds, and MrB can watch a film at normal volume :).

I still enjoy music as that doesn't need concentration, but, anything I have to concentrate on is exhausting eventually and it makes me feel really ill, as though I'm jet lagged which is a bit of a bugger as I'm a bit of an extrovert @Cobra I know, you'd never have guessed :ROFLMAO:

So, in a nutshell, this week's theme reminded me of all that when I decided to represent my favourite sound at the moment.

Hi, it works because it's personal to you, not the most exciting pic on it's own but with your explanation it's perfect :clap:

I completely "get" your image for this theme Jill. Silence can be the best sound of all.
I crave it often.

Back