Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Is there a way to get into the flash function settings quickly? I can add the speedlite control menu to the custom menu but cant seem to find a super quick way to alter the flash power.
Thanks.

Ordered mine through Hdew on Friday. Gave it a quick chase this morning to see how it's going and it's due to arrive AM tomorrow. Just in time for the Christmas festivities which is great.

Last edited:
Is there a way to get into the flash function settings quickly? I can add the speedlite control menu to the custom menu but cant seem to find a super quick way to alter the flash power.
Thanks.

Didn't think you could do that from the camera. Thought you could only do it on the flash, although I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Thanks.
I think that's as far as you can go, you can't register that particular sub-menu item to My Menu. I don't know of any quicker way to access the power. You know that you can make the 'My Menu' the default display when you hit the 'menu' button though? That takes a step or two out of it.

Didn't think you could do that from the camera. Thought you could only do it on the flash, although I'll be happy to be proven wrong.
Via the 'External Speedlite Control' on the first red menu, you can alter settings 'in camera' on compatible flash units.

Last edited:
I think that's as far as you can go, you can't register that particular sub-menu item to My Menu. I don't know of any quicker way to access the power. You know that you can make the 'My Menu' the default display when you hit the 'menu' button though? That takes a step or two out of it.

Via the 'External Speedlite Control' on the first red menu, you can alter settings 'in camera' on compatible flash units.

But how do you change the power of the flash from that menu page?
I may be wrong but thought that even the STE3 and the new 6xx series flash won't do that. I have heard that Youngnuo (sp?) are bringing out a new trigger that will allow you to remotely adjust flash power, but haven't seen it announced yet.

But how do you change the power of the flash from that menu page?
I may be wrong but thought that even the STE3 and the new 6xx series flash won't do that. I have heard that Youngnuo (sp?) are bringing out a new trigger that will allow you to remotely adjust flash power, but haven't seen it announced yet.
From memory, I think it's called 'Flash Function Settings', it lets you change a number of items like power and flash zoom from there.

I don't know about the specifics of the units you have but it works on the 530 and the 430 II's at least.

Last edited:
I use a 430exII with Yongnuo 622c's and it allows me to alter all the flash settings, super hand when off camera flash is being used.

Not a massive issue, would have been nice to change it a but quicker. :)

Sorry, I was thinking the question was about OCF, which is what I mainly use. That's a PIA to change power levels, unless someone knows how to do it remotely.

Sorry, I was thinking the question was about OCF, which is what I mainly use. That's a PIA to change power levels, unless someone knows how to do it remotely.
Off camera, on camera, it works for both. I use it very rarely and only with a single flash but it's easier than adjusting on the flash when off camera at least.

Off camera, on camera, it works for both. I use it very rarely and only with a single flash but it's easier than adjusting on the flash when off camera at least.

Can you explain how you do that? As soon as I connect my STE2 the only function available on that menu setting is =+/- flash exposure compensation. All the other functions, including power levels are not available. Is it the STE2, my flash (a 580 II) or even a camera fault?

I've just joined the 5D3 club too, very impressed indeed so far and hoping to sneak off work early while the suns till high to get some images in the daytime and see what she's like as only shot a few off approaching darkness with it last tonight.

Can you explain how you do that? As soon as I connect my STE2 the only function available on that menu setting is =+/- flash exposure compensation. All the other functions, including power levels are not available. Is it the STE2, my flash (a 580 II) or even a camera fault?
I've never used and of the STE, only the Yongnuo's like PDub. I hadn't realised it was an issue with their standard kit until these posts.

I'm not a lover of the zoom function for viewing images. It seems a lot more of a faff compared to the Mark 2. I'm sure I will get used to it in the end, but for now it feels like more button presses. Can this be customised, or am I stuck with it for now?

I'm not a lover of the zoom function for viewing images. It seems a lot more of a faff compared to the Mark 2. I'm sure I will get used to it in the end, but for now it feels like more button presses. Can this be customised, or am I stuck with it for now?

I've got the zoom function for viewing images set to zoom into max on one press of the zoom button after calling up the image. You can also set it to zoom on the actual focus point but then it only zooms into 87%.

The Canon 50mm f1.4 is a lovely lens, you can pick a decent one for £200 ish, in fact I think I spotted one one here for under 200 !

There will be another in the classifieds after Christmas :)

I've hardly taken my new 35mm f/2 IS off the camera since getting it, even my 24-70 isn't getting any use at the moment (it's not going anywhere though)

You can set the amount of magnification for the magnify/reduce button from the menus.

1x, 2x, 4x, 8x, 10x and actual size are available. It then works out as a single press of the magnify/reduce button and use the main dial to control it further.

I've got the zoom function for viewing images set to zoom into max on one press of the zoom button after calling up the image. You can also set it to zoom on the actual focus point but then it only zooms into 87%.

I know the manual says 'approx 100%' but is it really as bad as 87%, surely not? How did you come to that figure?

It's easy to see which gives the greatest magnification, and it's the x10 settings as far as I can see.
X10 is the only setting that doesn't allow you to zoom in any further.
X8 gives you one more click on the top wheel, actual size gives you two clicks.
Could be that the x8 and x10 settings are over 100%, this would make sense considering they are larger magnifications than actual size but I've not bothered to work it out, I just stick to actual size at AF point.

The zoom on the actual size setting is less than the 8x.
Yes that's pretty obvious, I'm not doubting that.
It's easy to see which gives the greatest magnification, and it's the x10 settings as far as I can see.
X10 is the only setting that doesn't allow you to zoom in any further.
X8 gives you one more click on the top wheel, actual size gives you two clicks.
Could be that the x8 and x10 settings are over 100%, this would make sense considering they are larger magnifications than actual size but I've not bothered to work it out, I just stick to actual size at AF point.
Yes, by design the 8x and 10x are a greater magnification than actual size.

The actual size is like a 100% crop for me, showing that portion of the image at its best and sharpest. Go to 8x and 10x and what is displayed isn't as sharp.

I'm always on actual size too.

Yes that's pretty obvious, I'm not doubting that.

Yes, by design the 8x and 10x are a greater magnification than actual size.

The actual size is like a 100% crop for me, showing that portion of the image at its best and sharpest. Go to 8x and 10x and what is displayed isn't as sharp.

I'm always on actual size too.

I didn't say you were doubting it! And it wasn't obvious to me until I went through them all as I've never used anything other than 10x.

Apologies. I've been using my phone to post and I've just realised that there is a bit missing off the post now I'm on my iPad. It should have read 87% of the zoom range.

Well I think i'm being totally thick ...

I've got some Yonguo 622c triggers for xmas.

All wicked at the moment! But i'm looking for a good head+umbrella mount to use with the triggers, As the contacts are on the bottom im scared ill damage them.

Any recommendations ?

This might be the wrong place to ask this question but hey-ho, it's Christmas!

My lens of choice and commonly left attached to my 5Diii is the Canon EF 24 to 70mm F2.8 L USM Zoom Lens.

What case would you guys recommend for this combo - if there's one available of course?

I like the Canon brand but would consider others. I have all the bags etc, just want a case I can more easily cart around with me :)

Thanks and hope you all had a great Christmas and a New Year still to come.

Several folk on here have used non oe grips with no issues. Mine stays on the camera all the time so I've bought a canon one. After spending that amount on the camera for me it's a no brainer. Same with batteries. I want to know that they will work with full functionality and no hassle.

Last edited:
This might be the wrong place to ask this question but hey-ho, it's Christmas!

My lens of choice and commonly left attached to my 5Diii is the Canon EF 24 to 70mm F2.8 L USM Zoom Lens.

What case would you guys recommend for this combo - if there's one available of course?

I like the Canon brand but would consider others. I have all the bags etc, just want a case I can more easily cart around with me :)

Thanks and hope you all had a great Christmas and a New Year still to come.

If its just for the camera with lens attached i can recommend the Lowepro Toploader 55AW. i have one of these and i can fit my 5DMKIII, 24-70 f/2.8 MKII with hood attached the correct way around.
The outside pocket goes the full length of the bag but isnt well padded, so i tend to not put my Canon flash in it, or just a few bits and pieces.

My Christmas was good thanks, hope yours was.

Back