Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

I have just swapped to BBF over the Christmas period, not had much chance to use it though so will report back my findings. Hoping to get out and test tomorrow. :)

I'm surprised the 5D struggled with a new born until BBF was used. The camera has a very good and sophisticated AF system. I personally can't see how BBF would make a huge difference. Whatever works though.
I've no idea, it bothers me! I never had a issue until recently and do wonder if it's me! I don't know with newborns if it's as simple as they're so tiny, the point of focus is very small and can be easily missed? Unless I have the macro on.

I've no idea, it bothers me! I never had a issue until recently and do wonder if it's me! I don't know with newborns if it's as simple as they're so tiny, the point of focus is very small and can be easily missed? Unless I have the macro on.
What lens are you using? For some of the the close ups, fingers, toes, hand, feet sort of thing I used to use a 50mm f1.4 and didn't have an issue other than the child's movement. Lens/camera was pretty fast to focus and lock on, generally I used a single focus point only

What lens are you using? For some of the the close ups, fingers, toes, hand, feet sort of thing I used to use a 50mm f1.4 and didn't have an issue other than the child's movement. Lens/camera was pretty fast to focus and lock on, generally I used a single focus point only
My 24-70 F2.8 ii. Not sure if it's me being more careful now or using BBF but my focus is much better! Can't say the same for moving targets though! Off to photograph the dogs at a rehoming centre tomorrow so that should be a good test!

The 24-70 f/2.8MKII and 5DMKIII are a fantastic combo. Ive never had any issues with these, no matter what ive shot (other than user error of course).
There should be no need to HAVE to use BBF for people shots unless they are moving around a lot. You weren't using Servo mode before were you?

The 24-70 f/2.8MKII and 5DMKIII are a fantastic combo. Ive never had any issues with these, no matter what ive shot (other than user error of course).
There should be no need to HAVE to use BBF for people shots unless they are moving around a lot. You weren't using Servo mode before were you?

Yes I was. Because I'm generally photographing little people who don't sit still!

but when they do stop moving or slow down doesn't the AF keep hunting?

The way I see it is BBF enables you to stop the AF from changing. This would be similar to just using one shot wouldn't it?

I appreciate its not the always that simple but this could be why BBF is working better. Not for its tracking, but for the ability to stop it moving.

Not sure you know this but you can set the DOF button to switch between one shot and AI servo by just holding it down. I find this comes in very handy and since setting my camera up like this I haven't used BBF.

Can anyone help? My 6 batteries from the 5d2 should work with the 5d3 but I have found 3 that do not. Insert them into the 5d3 with full charge and the camera does not start up, unlike the other 3 batteries that do. 2 of the 3 that work are official, one is a substitute. The ones that don't work are all subs.

Can anyone advise me what alternative batteries from the Canon official ones work with on a 5d3?

I've been using cheap batteries since getting my 5D 3 years ago. I promise you the shots don't look any cheaper than if I used Canon ones ;-).

In fact out of the 4 batteries I've got, inc the genuine one, only the cheap ones are showing full health. The Canon battery gets less than 200 shots, whiles the others average 400-500.

Well as mentioned above I swapped to BBF over the christmas holidays after many months of meaning to get around to it. Tried it out for the first time on some fast moving subjects and I would say it was pretty successful. I actually find it came pretty naturally to be honest, my thumb hovers around the star button anyway and I didnt have to think much to get the hand of it, within the first 10-20 shots it was very natural.

I don't need to worry now about thinking about having to press the shutter half down to get and keep focus, and sometimes releasing my finger and loosing it as happened a few times before. So far so good I would say!

I've been using cheap batteries since getting my 5D 3 years ago. I promise you the shots don't look any cheaper than if I used Canon ones ;-).

In fact out of the 4 batteries I've got, inc the genuine one, only the cheap ones are showing full health. The Canon battery gets less than 200 shots, whiles the others average 400-500.

Ditto. One genuine battery and 4 third party ones. Last just as long if not a tiny bit longer, no issues at all and I bought 4 for less than the price of a genuine and still had change! :)

Just wondering if anyone uses the back button to stop focus when in AI Servo. I tired this a year or so ago and found it works really well.
I use that button to start AF in AI-Servo mode. The shutter button does only start and store exposure measurement.

OK, I've finally made the decision to get a 5D Mark iii (found an interest free credit card for 27 months and can sell my 5Dii in the meantime :) )

Just thinking about kit ........ and probably a daft question ........ Will the 5Dii battery grip I have fit the 5Diii ? I did research on the internet but the answers were not conclusive

I'm all set up lens wise, this is the only interchange issue I can think of

OK, I've finally made the decision to get a 5D Mark iii (found an interest free credit card for 27 months and can sell my 5Dii in the meantime :) )

Just thinking about kit ........ and probably a daft question ........ Will the 5Dii battery grip I have fit the 5Diii ? I did research on the internet but the answers were not conclusive

I'm all set up lens wise, this is the only interchange issue I can think of
New camera, new grip I'm afraid. Have you bought already or not yet? You can get the price of the grip refunded from canon when bought with a 5d3. It might be worth phoning where you will buy from to see if they will backdate the invoice to before Jan 13th when the promotion ended.

https://canon-uk-battery-grip.sales-promotions.com
https://canon-uk-battery-grip.sales...and-conditions-promotion/?country_promotion=2

You've got until 13th Feb to submit your claim

Last edited:
New camera, new grip I'm afraid. Have you bought already or not yet? You can get the price of the grip refunded from canon when bought with a 5d3. It might be worth phoning where you will buy from to see if they will backdate the invoice to before Jan 13th when the promotion ended.

I was looking at HDEW Cameras, currently at £1459 - I'll have to wait until my new card arrives before I can buy it though, I'll maybe ask then.
I guessed that probably the grip would be different :( However I'm guessing I'll get around £700 for the 5Dii & grip so that will contribute

I was looking at HDEW Cameras, currently at £1459 - I'll have to wait until my new card arrives before I can buy it though, I'll maybe ask then.
I guessed that probably the grip would be different :( However I'm guessing I'll get around £700 for the 5Dii & grip so that will contribute

I don't think Canon allow rebates and promotions for grey imports, but i might stand corrected on that.

I don't think Canon allow rebates and promotions for grey imports, but i might stand corrected on that.

Well, it's much the same as buying from Ian Kerr on here I suppose. The price difference between HDEW and the £2200 from the others is just too much to handle I'm afraid.
The HDEW comes with a 3 year warrantee, although I'm yet to check the details on that

Sorted out the battery issues and it would appear to be CHIP related. Placing the non OEM batteries in a Canon charger results in the "poor comms" message but the ability to use the battery power in the 5d3.

Overall, took the dive (after winning some money from my club competitions) and ended up buying the Canon batteries off of Amazon. Only going to use the Canon charger now and will only use the non-OEM in my 5d3 is the others have run out. My 5d2 will enjoy the non-OEM instead.

Sorted out the battery issues and it would appear to be CHIP related. Placing the non OEM batteries in a Canon charger results in the "poor comms" message but the ability to use the battery power in the 5d3.

Overall, took the dive (after winning some money from my club competitions) and ended up buying the Canon batteries off of Amazon. Only going to use the Canon charger now and will only use the non-OEM in my 5d3 is the others have run out. My 5d2 will enjoy the non-OEM instead.
Beware of Amazon! There was a report on Watchdog of a photographer buying apparently legit batteries from Amazon. Turned out they were dodgy counterfeits. They never said Amazon on the report but showed images of 'the well known web site'! And the batteries were only £10 or so cheaper than from Wex!

As I said, the canon battery is not showing full health. I have never got that many shots from a battery, no matter what make it is. Even the camera isn't rated for that many IIR. You are certainly not shooting the same was as I do.

I should add that i can get more than 500 shots, but only by shooting a lot of extra frames that i dont need or keep, so my shooting is mostly single shot.

Last edited:
Can't wait for the new 5d4 to be announced

Cant wait to see what propel will man about when it is announced. the web will go in to melt down lol.

I think my 5DMKIII is the last DSLR i will buy. As good as it is, and i use it more than my a6000, i think my future is mirrorless.

Cant wait to see what propel will man about when it is announced. the web will go in to melt down lol.

I think my 5DMKIII is the last DSLR i will buy. As good as it is, and i use it more than my a6000, i think my future is mirrorless.
Get a a7r2. That's what I have and it's amazing man!

Get a a7r2. That's what I have and it's amazing man!

Yeah, I would love one of those. The only thing really stopping me from going full out with Sony is the lens line up. Even though i have a few nice Sony lenses i still find i use my Canon lenses on the a6000 more often.
Ill be interested in seeing how the new G lenses stack up, but they aren't cheap.

Beware of Amazon! There was a report on Watchdog of a photographer buying apparently legit batteries from Amazon. Turned out they were dodgy counterfeits. They never said Amazon on the report but showed images of 'the well known web site'! And the batteries were only £10 or so cheaper than from Wex!

Amazon themselves or 3rd party? There is obviously a huge difference.

Where from and at what price?ive just emailed Wex for a quote but I'm waiting on my son inlaw who business deals with canon,so may get a heavy discount.

Where from and at what price?ive just emailed Wex for a quote but I'm waiting on my son inlaw who business deals with canon,so may get a heavy discount.

£1485 from HDEW .... and I ought to say straight away that I have no issues with buying imports. I've bought an imported camera before on here from a well respected trade seller. In fact I still have it 5 years after purchase. HDEW comes with a 1 year Canon warantee, and a further two year in house warantee, and having read the reviews and reports on HDEW I'm quite happy to purchase from them at well under the £2k+ elsewhere

Hope you get a good discount. I spent ages trying to decide if it was worth the step up, but I dont think I'll regret it :)

How long do you have to wait for it from HDEW,say dispatched in 3-5 days but from where UK or abroad?

Back