Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

oi dave, your not allowed to post pics here!

:D

cracking pics as already said in flickr. nice one!

I now use my 5d3 in the weekends and my 400d during the week where i can toss it in the bag, leave it at my work desk without any fear!

Its my go to cam that i can even leave in the car. a 400d is still miles better then a phone camera

Last edited:
oi dave, your not allowed to post pics here!

:D

cracking pics as already said in flickr. nice one!

Cheers mate. This thread has slowed down a bit recently, we need to keep it on the front page, so what better way to bump it back up than to show of how easy it is to hand hold in low light without IS.

2) Im finding the shutter release quite sensitive in comparison to previous cameras - is there anything that I can do for this

You know I thought this was just my imagination when I went from my 7D and 5DII to the Mark III :D
It was even more of a nightmare without the AF beep confirmation switched on!
It was the main thing that finally pushed me to go back button focusing,and I'm really glad I have now ;)

My 5D3 turned up last yesterday from HDEW, wow! I'd forgotten how wonderful a full frame viewfinder is and, although I've not tried any fine tuning yet, the autofocus system is a doddle to use!

Looking forward to the weekend

I'm assuming this is set in the custom controls? Changed from AF/metering to just metering?

Yes, you can access this from the Q menu or go in to the full menu.

With all the cameras I have had in recent years one of my main struggles has been deciding what ISO to use in normal day to day useage. Obviously easier come darker scenarios.

Bearing in mind the excellent ISO range on the camera is there any point in just leaving ISO to auto or not ? I use RAW format for the images.

I use Auto ISO most of the time, i tried to do it the old way but got lazy really quickly, and it does tend to keep to the lower end.
I do sometimes limit the low end of Auto ISO to 200 rather than 100, and this means the camera will keep the shutter speed a bit higher in AV mode.

Dont forget you can set the minimum shutter speed when using AV mode, although the camera will override this if it cant get a correct exposure

My 5D3 turned up last yesterday from HDEW, wow! I'd forgotten how wonderful a full frame viewfinder is and, although I've not tried any fine tuning yet, the autofocus system is a doddle to use!

Looking forward to the weekend

Nice one. Hopefully the weather forecasters will get it wrong (they normally do) and it will be a nice weekend.

Finally found the silent shutter mode. This thing is like an aladdin's cave of hidden goodies!

Now I need to decide on a tripod and head. And filters. And flash... and some means of financing all of it! D:

With all the cameras I have had in recent years one of my main struggles has been deciding what ISO to use in normal day to day useage. Obviously easier come darker scenarios.

Bearing in mind the excellent ISO range on the camera is there any point in just leaving ISO to auto or not ? I use RAW format for the images.

i leave mine on auto ISO and shoot away without a care. anything at 12800 or below is usable.

i leave mine on auto ISO and shoot away without a care. anything at 12800 or below is usable.
Lots of people seem to be going this route. I've been shooting 100% in manual mode so selecting everything myself (but I still feel like I'm learning, so it's helpful).

Lots of people seem to be going this route. I've been shooting 100% in manual mode so selecting everything myself (but I still feel like I'm learning, so it's helpful).

For my type of work i need some of my settings to be on auto mode. for street photography it is difficult to do that in manual mode

Thanks guys - Im still plodding on with reading the manual and all 121 pages on here :)

No doubt I will be back with more questions -- all part of the fun of learning and sharing knowledge

Andrew

always something new to learn in this camera. last weekend i found out how to do exposure bracketing of up to 7 shots and that it is disables if you have HDR on(which only takes 3 shot exposure)

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm still a little shy for candid street stuff... *blush*

Im a bit of a shy person myself but if was forced to talk to strangers, do interviews/presentations i always come out well.

i am currently doing this project http://www.flickr.com/photos/josh1408/sets/72157629897447438/ 100 strangers. That is much more nerve wracking then just taking shots of people without their permission lol.

What a fantastic idea that is, I'll keep an eye on that.

I also found out today that AEB via the Q menu requires you to release for all of the exposures, but from the menu does it automatically.

Im a bit of a shy person myself but if was forced to talk to strangers, do interviews/presentations i always come out well.

i am currently doing this project http://www.flickr.com/photos/josh1408/sets/72157629897447438/ 100 strangers. That is much more nerve wracking then just taking shots of people without their permission lol.

That looks like a great idea. I too will keep an eye on this. Good luck with it.

Im also very shy, i suppose thats why i prefer to use longer lenses as walkabouts. I keep seeing these street shooters (even Kai from DR) and it seems so easy, but i freeze if someone looks at me when im pointing a camera at them.
Im do have a few shots but mostly they are candid shots.

Never had any problems with any of my 3 previous bodies in the wet.
My 7D didn't like the Swedish winter temperatures though :D

Never had any problems with any of my 3 previous bodies in the wet.
My 7D didn't like the Swedish winter temperatures though :D

It was more the newness and cost that made me not want to get it wet.
I've since stopped worrying too much, especially when I see many others out in the rain with lesser cameras.

I nearly got sucked into that myself. I used it a fair bit when I first got the camera, but I've discovered the camera has a tendency of using too high an ISO a lot of the time, so while you get usable shots, you could have better. I generally stick with aperture priority to get the style I like, and work from there. In low light I've discovered that ISO5000 is almost always good enough, so you can set the max to that if you're insistent on using auto ISO.

It may well be fine, it's just that I find that if I get lazy and start using things like that, I tend to take longer to pick out the correct ISO myself in certain lighting, and as I'm still learning to get exposure correct (after 8 years :D) I don't want to risk that.

That looks like a great idea. I too will keep an eye on this. Good luck with it.

Im also very shy, i suppose thats why i prefer to use longer lenses as walkabouts. I keep seeing these street shooters (even Kai from DR) and it seems so easy, but i freeze if someone looks at me when im pointing a camera at them.
Im do have a few shots but mostly they are candid shots.

Yea it is nerve racking doing the project. Today after work i tried to take some more portraits of strangers but the lighting was terrible. worse then when i went on saturday. the lighting was very harsh and a bit low. I saw an interesting subject i wanted to take a pic but from where he was placed i could not because of the lighting!

10mins later i saw another interesting person who was in shade but bailed out due to shyness :bonk:

I nearly got sucked into that myself. I used it a fair bit when I first got the camera, but I've discovered the camera has a tendency of using too high an ISO a lot of the time, so while you get usable shots, you could have better. I generally stick with aperture priority to get the style I like, and work from there. In low light I've discovered that ISO5000 is almost always good enough, so you can set the max to that if you're insistent on using auto ISO.

It may well be fine, it's just that I find that if I get lazy and start using things like that, I tend to take longer to pick out the correct ISO myself in certain lighting, and as I'm still learning to get exposure correct (after 8 years :D) I don't want to risk that.

It depends what you shoot. If you shoot street, Auto ISO helps as you honestly do not have time to fiddle with any of your settings too much else you miss the moment/shot.

Hope the weather holds itself on saturday as i plan to go on a mega photo walk on me own hehe man i love it!

i use to just do photo walks at lunch times where i use to work and never dedicated an actual whole day to do it but since my co worker introduced me to doing photo walks when i went with him one saturday, i loved it and went on my own last saturday for the first time.

Better then sitting at home playing computer games or watching TV thats for sure!

If you are in town on this weekend there is a festival on at Gabriel's Wharf, Coin st. There should be some interesting things to shoot as its heavily "arty" based by the look of it.

Regarding photowalks. I seem to go on one almost every weekend. Ill pop out to get some milk or bread and my family know they wont see me for a few hours lol.

Last edited:

As I said earlier I set the camera to auto Iso but manually set the Aperture and the Shutter speed. So its easy enough to keep an eye on the set Iso and adjust one of the othet two if the auto Iso goes to high.

If you are in town on this weekend there is a festival on at Gabriel's Wharf, Coin st. There should be some interesting things to shoot as its heavily "arty" based by the look of it.

Regarding photowalks. I seem to go on one almost every weekend. Ill pop out to get some milk or bread and my family know they wont see me for a few hours lol.

i might pop down and see.

I am posting these to show how good the MkIII's AF is for wildlife. Maybe encourage a few more to swap to this great camera.

These are 8 consecutive images taken at f4 with an EF500mm

If they are not appropriate for this thread, please say and I will remove them

9142_101900795651f1340ef1b3e.jpg

9142_122757687551f13413f416e.jpg

9142_198133503451f13417e07d0.jpg

9142_6372323151f1341c8688b.jpg

9142_5607796151f1342035f4f.jpg

9142_162618347651f13424400d7.jpg

Gaz

Beautiful shots Gaz. (y)
Just goes to show how capable the AF is.

Talking of continuous shooting I tried mine for the first time yesterday. My god does it sound slow coming from a 7D!

Which AF mode etc were you using if you don't mind me asking?

Yes it does sound a bit slow. But once it gets locked on it does a cracking job of keeping focus. My MKIV would struggle to get 8 like this.

I was using Case 4 for these.

And they taken at ISO 4000

Last edited:
Gaz, those shots are outstanding mate! (y)

I must get up to Scotland next year to see some of these. Unfortunately, it's impossible to get anywhere near our local ones!

Here's another 'gorgeous bird' shot on a 5DMKIII... I had an idea for a shot yesterday and managed to get my lovely missus to sort out the details and pose for me. :)

Thanks Si

Pretty sure you could take the Ospreys just as well but I wouldn't have a clue how to go about taking one like you have posted. And that's even if the model looked as good as your good lady.

Will be back up in Scotland again next year trying to get better ones.

Last edited:
Back