Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

only used mine in anger a few weeks ago and boy did it feel good. I still shoot with two 1dsMK3's but the ISO handling blew me away, 3200 was clean as anything.

All this talk of CF cards has got me shopping for a new one with a backup SD card.

Does anyone use a screen protector on their LCD screen? Ive seen the sticky on types or the GGS glass ones, any recommendations?

I discovered the multiple exposure setting yesterday whilst doing my 52 shot, it's rather clever!

I use the GGS one. This is the first time I've use this kind, I normally use the Martin Fields overlays for my LCDs but this time I went for the glass type.
I'm very happy with it. I really don't even notice its on, it's easy to clean and doesn't seem to effect contrast. Highly recommended.

Which GGS do you use?

Some stick to the screen, and I've seen on that clips on the viewfinder. I've used the stick on ones in the past, just wondering which is best for the 5d3

Cool, seen them on amazon with the top lcd cover too. Think I will grab one, my camera is going places that could see scratches if I'm not too careful

Cool, seen them on amazon with the top lcd cover too. Think I will grab one, my camera is going places that could see scratches if I'm not too careful

I bought some from Amazon early last week for when I received my 5DIII.
Apart from about 1mm around the edges it fits and covers well.
But I'll be on the lookout for some alternatives in the future.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0082093N0/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm glad I had some left from my 5DII and 7D though,as the set I received didn't have the top screen protectors in the package - even though it shows them in the listing.

Still. What can you expect for under 3 quid delivered :shrug:

Had to shoot a portrait today for an exercise so my long suffering wife stood in as model. Loving the quality you can get from this camera. It's streets ahead of my 50D.

149245884.jpg

Can anyone recommend a good book on the 5D MKIII?

I'd prefer a Kindle version as I carry my Android tablet everywhere with me.

I have The Canon 5DMKII Experience by Douglas J. Klosterman on my Kindle (i Pad app).
Its a very good read. Not quite a Dummy's type of book, but more an explanation of what the settings do and why you would use them. Well recommended.

The other one i have is 5D MKIII Field guide by Charlotte K. Lowrie. Another good read although i was a bit worn out from all the 5D reading when i got it so never really got to the end (i have a feeling i know what happens though :)

Thanks Dave, I guess at the end of the day, it very much down to personal choice - 'One man's trash ....... ' and all that.

The other one i have is 5D MKIII Field guide by Charlotte K. Lowrie. Another good read although i was a bit worn out from all the 5D reading when i got it so never really got to the end (i have a feeling i know what happens though :)
He dies in the end :p

Thanks Dave, I guess at the end of the day, it very much down to personal choice - 'One man's trash ....... ' and all that.

Indeed. I got the books mainly as I was going in to hospital and I wanted some light reading lol.
I did find the first book very useful as it explained a few things that the manual covered, but didn't really elaborate on why you would use the settings.

He dies in the end :p

I thought he turned out to be a Chinese imposter ;-)

:eek::eek::eek: ... its a GIMP mask for your 5D3 :cautious:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Many buy the screen protectors and lens protectors. I guess in theory, these are for those who want to keep the body from marking up - good if they work but could they be a damned nuisance?

Some info regarding the SD slowdown v CF card use
Canon made the compact flash card UDMA 7 compliant and NOT the SD card which is an odd thing to do but as long as you dont have your camera set to automatically write to the other card when using it you will get UDMA 7 speeds using the CF Card

the difference writing the the card and clearing the buffer is enormous between the two cards even if you buy the fastest SD card available

so in essence if you want fast buffer clearance use the Compact card
I have a 1000x lexar card which clears the buffer in 4 seconds plus it extends the buffer as it writes to the card so fast so I get about 24 images to camera before its full
with slower cards and SD cards the buffer is 15 and takes about 20 seconds to clear

I've just taken the plunge and ordered a 5D Mk3, traded in my 50D and a Canon EFS 10-22 against it. I was already thinking about buying one, but the cashback deal made it an no-brainer decision. Can't wait for it to turn up... I've got a trip to India coming up soon, hopefully I'll get some good shots with the new beasty. A 16-35 2.8L just turned up too :)

ordered mine last Friday for delivery today, only to find out i have to wait till tomorrow now!!! :razz:

came into a little bit of money, so with selling my 7D and 2 lenses, it was possible to finance it. Thought "if i don't take the plunge now, the chance might not come again"!!
Still...if the Mrs finds out how much it has cost...you won't be hearing from me on these boards ever again!!!! :shake::cool::LOL:

My wife saw the box of stuff I sent to MPB the day my new camera arrived. She can also see the results I am getting now are much better, which surprised me more.

Some info regarding the SD slowdown v CF card use
Canon made the compact flash card UDMA 7 compliant and NOT the SD card which is an odd thing to do but as long as you dont have your camera set to automatically write to the other card when using it you will get UDMA 7 speeds using the CF Card

the difference writing the the card and clearing the buffer is enormous between the two cards even if you buy the fastest SD card available

so in essence if you want fast buffer clearance use the Compact card
I have a 1000x lexar card which clears the buffer in 4 seconds plus it extends the buffer as it writes to the card so fast so I get about 24 images to camera before its full
with slower cards and SD cards the buffer is 15 and takes about 20 seconds to clear

Could this gimped up SD card feature be properly enabled via a firmware or are we stuck with this for good?

Told ya :razz:

(y)

umm no, when having the sd card making backup copies of your pics will slow down your camera.

If u simply shoot CF only until its full and then go to sd, that is fine, it wont slow down your camera but tbh whats the point?

People use dual card slots to make backups of there images just incase the main card fails.

umm no, when having the sd card making backup copies of your pics will slow down your camera.

Eh? whats that got to do with my post?

If u simply shoot CF only until its full and then go to sd, that is fine, it wont slow down your camera but tbh whats the point?

Well yes, you have just said what i said, so why the "umm no" comment?

Eh? whats that got to do with my post?

Well yes, you have just said what i said, so why the "umm no" comment?

i thought you said how if u use a sd card for backing up your shots wont slow down your camera. i then replied yes it does. we are on the same path though so its all good my friend:love:

i thought you said how if u use a sd card for backing up your shots wont slow down your camera. i then replied yes it does. we are on the same path though so its all good my friend:love:

Not as far as i know, but yes, we are all in agreement now.

Back