Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread

The 100-400 is More pale then the MK2 of the 70-200

This is true.

There's a new lens coating (2.8 version), haven't had a chance to read about it, but we must be getting into microscopic detail of sharpness, fringing reduction etc. the 70-200 from the original to Mk II has been incredibly sharp. As said previously, would be interested to hear any Mk II owners intending to upgrade and why? Aside from maintaining CPS status.

This thread needs a bump.

Si2Gr8q.jpg

I have traded in my 7d MK2 and am now the proud owner of one of these, 5Dmk4. I will be having a read of this lot over the comming days and trying it out. the menues seem quite similar to the 7Dmk2 so not too steep a curve. I think I would like to get a battery grip too for this so if any owners have a suggestion, other that the canon one that would be great. Really looking forward to using it. I have the 24 to 105, 70-200 F4 and my Sigma 150 - 600. next stop I think will be the 17-40 in the not too distant future.
Thanks

Mick

Snip:
next stop I think will be the 17-40 in the not too distant future.

If you can run to the cost, or wait until you can afford it (or perhaps go for a mint/ish used one with good guarantee from a reputable shop or online dealership), I'd go for the 16-35 L IS instead if I were you. If not, I don't think I'd use a 17-40 L with a 5D Mk IV at anything much less than f/16 if I didn't want the corners to look too soft. I seem to remember the 16-35 L IS is on the list of suitable lenses for the 5DS range, so should be more suited to the resolution the 5D iv is capable of. That's the 'problem' with top notch DSLRs, the lenses have to be 'top notch' too if you want to get the full benefit.

Snip:

If you can run to the cost, or wait until you can afford it (or perhaps go for a mint/ish used one with good guarantee from a reputable shop or online dealership), I'd go for the 16-35 L IS instead if I were you. If not, I don't think I'd use a 17-40 L with a 5D Mk IV at anything much less than f/16 if I didn't want the corners to look too soft. I seem to remember the 16-35 L IS is on the list of suitable lenses for the 5DS range, so should be more suited to the resolution the 5D iv is capable of. That's the 'problem' with top notch DSLRs, the lenses have to be 'top notch' too if you want to get the full benefit.
thanks for the advice, I may just do that, a used one will be good for me, an F4 will be fine for my landscaping I think.

thanks for the advice, I may just do that, a used one will be good for me, an F4 will be fine for my landscaping I think.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's much wrong with the 17-40 L when it's used stopped down, and if I were on a tight budget and not using the latest top-spec type full frame DSLR then I'd still consider buying a good used one (I have one in my camera bag!). However, if I bought a 5D Mk iv I'd want to upgrade to a 16-35 L IS if/when I could afford to. Primarily as it's got IS and it's a more modern optical design, and will be sharper in the corners than the average 17-40 L at wider apertures (from around f/11 and below). Whether you think this is worth the cost difference only you can decide.

I found the following recent comparison between the 16-35 and the 17-40 (using what appears to be a 5D4) on YouTube, which I found quite interesting. So perhaps give it a watch and do some research on other reviews/tests before you make your mind up and part with your money. Hope this is useful and I hope you enjoy your new 5D4. (y)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COxU5p4mEa0

Last edited:
Having watched that the 17-40 didnt fair too bad I thought, Adam has alway been happy with it it seems. food for thought. no rush yet so I will keep both in mind. Thanks for the vid link.

my 5d 4 has firmware 1.0.4, is this the latest version? 1.1.2 on the canon site - is that newer, Im not sure how it works. thanks

Having watched that the 17-40 didnt fair too bad I thought, Adam has alway been happy with it it seems. food for thought. no rush yet so I will keep both in mind. Thanks for the vid link.
I've always had good results from it, but I traded my 17-40 for the 16-35, purely for the Stabilisation, since I was taking a lot of interior shots under low lighting.

Last edited:
thanks Tim, Ill have a go at updating it, not done before with any of my cameras.

I've always had good results from it, but I traded my 17-40 for the 16-35, purely for the Stabilisation, since I was taking a lot of interior shots under low lighting.
thanks Brian, Im still pondering.

I'm tempted to sell my 1DX and get a second 5D4.... here is my logic..

The 1DX is incredible but the frame rate means culling through sooooo many pics. I did three shows, weekend before last including Duxford and RIAT and came back with 15k images, and im still culling.

The 5D4 seems to have better autofocus and tracking?.... I get a higher rate of keepers with the 5D4, which is usually attached to my 100-400 ii.

I have the 1DX attached to my 500 F4 ii, usually with a 1.4 iii tele.

I have the 500mm on the 1DX for the lower pixel count, which tends to not be so picky about pin point focus for sharpness. I did have issues getting the 5D4 sharp at first, but having play for the last couple of months the results are rapidly overtaking the 1DX.

In short, I have a shorter focal range on the 5D4 with the 100-400 but a better ability to crop, but a better focal range on the 1DX which could sometimes do with a little more detail.

I shoot mostly wildlife and aviation and for wildlife the 500 gets stuck on the 5D4 with amazing results.

However, the devils advocate in me says that the higher pixel count on the 5D4 will suffer at longer range for faster moving things like planes, also at longer distance other factors such as heat haze/shimmer will affect image quality more on a higher resolution image than a lower resolution image when trying to sharpen in post production?

What do you guys think?....

Sounds like you already have all the gear so I’ve it a go, sounds like a decent move to me and you’ve already made your mind up I think

Last edited:
They are for slightly different proposes? Try going easy on the high speed shooting or switch to low speed and set that to 7 or 8 same as 5DM4? I have 5DM4 and 1DXM2 and find it a good combination.

Lovely picture, wonderful lighting on the roof - BUT (I hope this doesn't cause offence) I'd retouch or remove the woman in pink as my eye keeps going there (unless she's your wife!)
There's never a rocket launcher around when you need one! The times this happens... frame the shot and wait for people to move out of the way, and wait, and wait! Then, just as they go, some other person pops into the frame and poses for someone to take their photo! :banghead:

The times this happens... frame the shot and wait for people to move out of the way, and wait, and wait! Then, just as they go, some other person pops into the frame and poses for someone to take their photo! :banghead:
My first rule of steam railway photography is always to avoid stations, however I wanted a shot of "British India Line" under that magnificent curved roof at York station.
I saw the brightly coloured lady and realised that I could remove her later in pp, but after seeing the file I decided she was a nice bit of human interest so she was reprieved from the dreaded clone.

I did get another shot as the train actually left the station....
"The Scarborough Spa Express", (week 7) 12/07/18.

Last edited:
5D MK 4 and third party batteries,
I have a couple of genuine Cannon batteries and several third party ones, the third party ones have worked perfectly for months, however last night the camera questioned them and now refuses to report any info, why has this suddenly become a problem when they worked fine for months and is there anything I can do?, the canon ones still work fine by the way.

May I ask a question please.....

I am a m/43 user, please don’t hold that against me.... Somone in my village is looking to sell his Gripped Canon 5d MkII with 12,000 shutter actuation. Is this a good price and does the camera still stack up now that the mkIII and mkIV are available.

I am a m/43 user, please don’t hold that against me.... Somone in my village is looking to sell his Gripped Canon 5d MkII with 12,000 shutter actuation. Is this a good price and does the camera still stack up now that the mkIII and mkIV are available.

The price being??

We're not all wizards you know!

Sorry guys, £500

Put it this way, If I had £500 to spend and wanted a full frame DSLR (body only) I'd seriously consider putting a £150 or so to it and look at a mint-ish, low-use Canon 6D Mk 1, which should have better low-light performance and image quality than the 5D Mk II in my opinion. Even if you bought a 5D Mk II for £400 I think it would still be a bit 'old hat' by today's standards. Don't get me wrong, a 5D Mk II can still produce nice looking photos... but so can a 1924 Kodak Brownie box camera given the right subject and lighting conditions! Anyway, it's entirely up to you, but at £500 I think you aren't that far off being able to own something a 'camera generation' newer. I hope this is useful, but only you really know your camera needs, so perhaps have a good think about it and do some research before you decide on which camera to buy. (y)

Last edited:
Put it this way, If I had £500 to spend and wanted a full frame DSLR (body only) I'd seriously consider putting a £150 or so to it and look at a mint-ish, low-use Canon 6D Mk 1, which should have better low-light performance and image quality than the 5D Mk II in my opinion. Even if you bought a 5D Mk II for £400 I think it would still be a bit 'old hat' by today's standards. Don't get me wrong, a 5D Mk II can still produce nice looking photos... but so can a 1924 Kodak Brownie box camera given the right subject and lighting conditions! Anyway, it's entirely up to you, but at £500 I think you aren't that far off being able to own something a 'camera generation' newer. I hope this is useful, but only you really know your camera needs, so perhaps have a good think about it and do some research before you decide on which camera to buy. (y)
Or an original sony A7 mk 1 body brand new for similar price range

Oops, I may have just pulled the trigger on a 5D Mk IV
Roll on next week :banana:

MPB have given a fairly good price on my 6D and 7Dmkii :D

It’s a lovely camera.

It’s been interesting to compare it with the D850 now that I can use them both side by side.

Back