Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Really like that!

Thanks, glad you like it.

I came to the conclusion that when you're down at these sorts of shutter speed and panning in burst mode, the way Canon has chosen to implement a blackout free EVF is absolutely rubbish and practically unusable. I also came to the conclusion, that as good as the EOS R is at some things, it is 100% not a good camera for high speed action like motorsport. Just as well I have a 1D mk IV as well ;):LOL:

I came to the conclusion that when you're down at these sorts of shutter speed and panning in burst mode, the way Canon has chosen to implement a blackout free EVF is absolutely rubbish and practically unusable. I also came to the conclusion, that as good as the EOS R is at some things, it is 100% not a good camera for high speed action like motorsport. Just as well I have a 1D mk IV as well ;):LOL:

.... Absolutely! It's 'horses-for-courses' and the EOS-R has a relatively slow burst rate which can be a serious limitation. As always, it depends what subjects you are shooting.

I
Thanks, glad you like it.

I haven't tried it yet for panning. For action (football/kitesurfing), I've shied away from using it and have stuck with my 5div.I didn't buy it for action, but it's nice to know it's not too shabby.

I tried the R out the other week with the 35mm 1.8 at f/2 and ISO 6400 - this is with no noise reduction...

The articulated screen is a boon at gigs, especially because I'm short. I don't do much video normally, but I might try that out next time.

I just had another look at this image and I prefer it before I processed it, so here it is SOOC other than a crop....
190412222134-BCR_0786.jpg

Last edited:
Went into Wex(Norwich) today to have a look at the R, it wasn't there, the RP wasn't there, realized the whole 5d range wasn't there, the 1dxmk2 was also missing. Turns out the Wex staff got robbed at knife point on Wednesday by three men....very shook up obviously. What is happening to this country.

Went into Wex(Norwich) today to have a look at the R, it wasn't there, the RP wasn't there, realized the whole 5d range wasn't there, the 1dxmk2 was also missing. Turns out the Wex staff got robbed at knife point on Wednesday by three men....very shook up obviously. What is happening to this country.
shocking :(:(

Tried the R with my 180mm macro today - used the peaking for manual focus - very happy with it! This is SOOC other than a fairly big crop. Plane of focus not ideal in this example. Taken at f/8 1/640s ISO 400 in rather windy conditions.

I discovered the peaking won't show if you've left the lens switch to AF and not MF. Logical I suppose but it did catch me out at first. I normally use back button focusing so rarely bother with this switch.

190508123730-BCR_1061.jpg

Actually this one is probably a better example of the focusing capability - also SOOC other than a big crop - a dingy skipper
190508121441-BCR_1023.jpg

Last edited:
Tried the R with my 180mm macro today - used the peaking for manual focus - very happy with it! This is SOOC other than a fairly big crop. Plane of focus not ideal in this example. Taken at f/8 1/640s ISO 400 in rather windy conditions.

I discovered the peaking won't show if you've left the lens switch to AF and not MF. Logical I suppose but it did catch me out at first. I normally use back button focusing so rarely bother with this switch.

.... Peaking only in MF caught me out too but macro work makes focussing very critical and on subjects like wildlife minibeasts MF is far more reliable. I primarily bought my EOS-R as a second body mainly for Macro with my Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L IS but on a tripod it also works well on a 500mm. Burst rate is the main let down though.... Sometimes. I use BBF too.

Any recommendations for a L bracket? I have a Manfrotto 293C4 with A0RC2 Ball Head.

Any recommendations for a L bracket? I have a Manfrotto 293C4 with A0RC2 Ball Head.

.... I expect that there is a solution. Wex are very helpful - Select their option 3 on 01603 486413 and ask - They won't try and hard sell you.

Most photographers use the Arca-Swiss profile system and there is a lot of choice of products.

As I mentioned many pages ago, I sold my EOS-M and 7D-2 to buy a new EOS-R and chose it particularly to be my second body (to a 1DX-2) to mostly live on my Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro lens, especially as it has the Vario-angle screen. Although I have thoroughly tested the R on all my lenses including the EF 500mm F/4L II and been satisfied, it is only now at the beginning of the 2019 dragonfly season that I have been able to test the macro/close-up combo.

This is my first keeper shot and I am pleased with the RAW image quality and handling (easier with the battery grip). I shot handheld in Manual-mode including manual focussing with Auto ISO set as default overridden on the EF Adapter's Control Ring. The focussing aids in the EVF are invaluable for macro/close-up shots.

LARGE RED DAMSELFLY by Robin Procter, on Flickr

More info on Flickr.

As I mentioned many pages ago, I sold my EOS-M and 7D-2 to buy a new EOS-R and chose it particularly to be my second body (to a 1DX-2) to mostly live on my Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro lens, especially as it has the Vario-angle screen. Although I have thoroughly tested the R on all my lenses including the EF 500mm F/4L II and been satisfied, it is only now at the beginning of the 2019 dragonfly season that I have been able to test the macro/close-up combo.

This is my first keeper shot and I am pleased with the RAW image quality and handling (easier with the battery grip). I shot handheld in Manual-mode including manual focussing with Auto ISO set as default overridden on the EF Adapter's Control Ring. The focussing aids in the EVF are invaluable for macro/close-up shots.

LARGE RED DAMSELFLY by Robin Procter, on Flickr

More info on Flickr.

Fabulous shot and completely agree - the peaking is invaluable for manual focusing. I similarly use auto ISO with the control ring set to compensate.

Finally picked up my R last week. My first few images, so far I'm really like it. Bit of a snail compared to my 1dx, but for mammals and stationary stuff it's brilliant.

Attachments

• IMG_20190521_220401_134.jpg
    IMG_20190521_220401_134.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20190520_205643_847.jpg
    IMG_20190520_205643_847.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 29
Hmm, CanonRumors who are usually very reliable, have just posted a heads-up for a new Canon RF Macro lens which "will be first of its kind macro lens" - Not expected until 2020 :

https://www.canonrumors.co/rf-24mm-...-a-new-macro-rf-lens-coming-ahead-of-cp-2020/

Now I am absolutely NOT dissatisfied with my Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro but I need a bit of distance so not to spook my minibeast targets and therefore a Kenko 1.4x lives semi-permanently on it, all mounted on my mirrorless EOS-R body - For me a perfect combo in my Lowepro toploader holster ready for a quick draw after I might have already got something in the bag with the EF 100-400mm + 1DX combo < That's how I roll [bloody hell, what is Robin on this morning!? :rolleyes: - He's getting excited about roaming the grasslands of central Bulgaria hunting for minibeasts next week].

BUT, the prospect of a RF Macro lens, providing it is at least 100mm, to mount on my EOS-R greatly excites me and could make my combo more compact as well as take advantage of the mirrorless features, but only providing the lens has image stabilisation.

This is a handheld shot from my first session recently with my EF 100mm + 1.4x + EOS-R combo : [The cropping is minimal]

BEAUTIFUL DEMOISELLE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ Click the image for more info on Flickr.

Where is this? And why stop? if you want it, go get it :D Looks a nice camera tbh, ignore all the nay saying. I was very tempted by it but no IBIS was the deal breaker for me personally. I likes me IBIS, no matter who says wot roight!! :D

I resisted and I feel a little bit sad but I know I should wait! It was Ebay and yesterday there was a 15% off most stuff. £890 is a heck of a lot of money for something on a whim so will hold out for a used one to pop up at some point! M50, Sony RX10 4 and GX9 are more than enough right now!

I resisted and I feel a little bit sad but I know I should wait! It was Ebay and yesterday there was a 15% off most stuff. £890 is a heck of a lot of money for something on a whim so will hold out for a used one to pop up at some point! M50, Sony RX10 4 and GX9 are more than enough right now!

At least it's helped you realise you don't actually need it ;)

For anyone interested, the EOS R can be had on HDEW for £1539 inc the adapter - that's come down quite a bit!

I hope the next one is out soon... getting a bit of a medium format urge... aka GAS!

I hope the next one is above 7mkII performance as that would be of interest .

I've seem somewhere that you can control camera by your iPhone
I can't find the app anywhere. Any ideas?

There’s also an App called Cascable that works with many different makes of camera.

It was interesting to see episode 1 of the new series of Master of Photography last night, and that they have moved from Leica gear to the EOS R. It’s very good exposure for Canon and nice to see what the camera is capable of.

I've just watched a YouTube video which has highlighted a few useful setting tweaks for me on the R which I thought were worth sharing. .

1. I didn't realise that you could choose which 5 functions are available on the M-Fn button. I've now added exposure compensation and removed WB. You can also choose which order they appear in, which is a nice touch.

2. I had abandoned using the M Fn bar after accidentally changing settings. So, the tip is to set it up so that it's something that doesn't affect your exposure - something that doesn't really matter. The video used the level and histogram. I have changed mine so the right side shows peaking and the left shows focus guide - neither of which work unless you're in Manual Focus, when actually they will be useful. Then I've set the swipe to magnify the focus area.
Thinking further, both my settings are on for manual focus anyway, but I suppose this gives me the option to toggle them on and off. Will try it out and see how it goes - may end up with level and histogram too!

I've found the M-Fn button very useful for quickly changing the ISO.

I've just watched a YouTube video which has highlighted a few useful setting tweaks for me on the R which I thought were worth sharing. .

1. I didn't realise that you could choose which 5 functions are available on the M-Fn button. I've now added exposure compensation and removed WB. You can also choose which order they appear in, which is a nice touch.

2. I had abandoned using the M Fn bar after accidentally changing settings. So, the tip is to set it up so that it's something that doesn't affect your exposure - something that doesn't really matter. The video used the level and histogram. I have changed mine so the right side shows peaking and the left shows focus guide - neither of which work unless you're in Manual Focus, when actually they will be useful. Then I've set the swipe to magnify the focus area.
Thinking further, both my settings are on for manual focus anyway, but I suppose this gives me the option to toggle them on and off. Will try it out and see how it goes - may end up with level and histogram too!

I've found the M-Fn button very useful for quickly changing the ISO.

I use mine for focus settings, scroll for focus mode, tap left for drag on/off and tap right for tracking on/off.

I know instantly if I have accidentally touched it as you can see in the viewfinder!

Anyone tried any motorsport photography with the R? Any examples? How does the tracking do?

Anyone tried any motorsport photography with the R? Any examples? How does the tracking do?
No but I had a go with some planes last week. I hadn't been planning on this sort of photography so only had the 24-105mm with me - both big crops. I was very happy with the cameras performance. The limiting factor was behind it.

1/1600s f/5.6 ISO 400
190523115328-BCR_1143.jpg

1/400s f/5.6 ISO 125
190523125019-BCR_1151.jpg

I have (see post #1081 above) and found it to be pretty woeful to be honest. Canons implementation of a blackout free EVF is also pretty rubbish and just about unusable in my experience.

Simon.

Last edited:
I have (see post #1081 above) and found it to be pretty woeful to be honest. Canons implementation of a blackout free EVF is also pretty rubbish and just about unusable in my experience.

Simon.

Did you give up on the R?

Simon.
Just checking, I'm sure you did, but did you turn the preview off? My planes were nowhere near such a long exposure time, but I didn't notice any blackout. The FPS wasn't great though.

Did you give up on the R?

I did Keith, yes and have gone back to m4/3. Couldn’t fault the IQ at all, but I have a degenerative back problem and the weight was causing me more and more issues. I totally underestimated the weight of the overall system and how my back would react, and found I was taking it out less and less and pretty much never on family days out. So, I made the switch back :)

Simon.

Last edited:
Just checking, I'm sure you did, but did you turn the preview off? My planes were nowhere near such a long exposure time, but I didn't notice any blackout. The FPS wasn't great though.

I did, yes.

Simon.

I did Keith, yes and have gone back to m4/3. Couldn’t fault the IQ at all, but I have a degenerative back problem and the weight was causing me more and more issues. I totally underestimated the weight of the overall system and how my back would react, and found I was taking it out less and less and pretty much never on family days out. So, I made the switch back :)

Simon.

This is how it should be, you have to go with what suits you best. I know how back trouble is, had surgery on my own about 8 years ago and it's not been great since - riddled with pain. It was the reason I switched down from the D800 + hefty lenses a few years back too. First to Fuji, then M43, and back to Fuji atm ... but who knows!? I still have a soft spot for m43, some fantastic gear in that system.

In saying that, and I guess to get back on topic, I very well might have gone with an R or even RP if either of them had IBIS [currently using the XH1, I wouldn't have gone Fuji without IBIS either] I wouldn't have been looking to heavy tele lenses, probably would have mostly adapted older EF primes and shorter zooms. IBIS would have been sweet for adapting vintage lenses too and there I would grab maybe an old 300mm or so just for the limited use I'd get from a tele

Who knows in future? keep the options open and all that :)

Last edited:
In saying that, and I guess to get back on topic, I very well might have gone with an R or even RP if either of them had IBIS [currently using the XH1, I wouldn't have gone Fuji without IBIS either] I wouldn't have been looking to heavy tele lenses, probably would have mostly adapted older EF primes and shorter zooms. IBIS would have been sweet for adapting vintage lenses too and there I would grab maybe an old 300mm or so just for the limited use I'd get from a tele

Who knows in future? keep the options open and all that :)

.... I'm not trying to persuade you to buy into the Canon system but there are strong rumours that Canon will be introducing IBIS into a future EOS-R series body - See the link posted in Reply #1112 earlier.

.... I'm not trying to persuade you to buy into the Canon system but there are strong rumours that Canon will be introducing IBIS into a future EOS-R series body - See the link posted in Reply #1112 earlier.

I would definitely be interested if it was in the same price range, but it'll probably be pricier

Back