Canon EOS R Series Cameras

I have just pre-ordered an R6 as a trade in for my 1DXii with Wex. The 1DXii is great, built like a battleship and very heavy, but I want the AF improvements (especially face/eye recognition) offered by the R6. I will use the R6 with the EF/RF converter on my range of EF lenses I use for bird and other wildlife action.
This is the very first time I've ever pre-ordered any photography gear as I'm not a early adopter by nature! However the real life R6 reviews have impressed!
Here's hoping it all works out well!!

Russ
I have an R6 on pre-order too... as a replacement for my 10 year old 5DII. Same as yourself I've read the reviews and bit the bullet. Hoping its going to be as good as the reviews :)
Not long to go before they should be shipping..

With regard's Gordon's (very good) review of the R6... where the IQ difference between the R6 and the R (same sensor as 5Dmk4) is negligible, does that translate to print as well? ie. if you printed the same image taken with both cameras at A3 you shouldn't notice any difference if you can't when cropped in the comparisons?

I'm just going through some pricing of EF and RF lenses at the moment. There's a bit of a caveat with the 15-35 only available as f/2.8 at the moment compared to the f/4 of the EF version, same with the 70-200.

But anyway, comparing the holy trinity between RF and EF (of which lenses are available in the RF mount equivalent to the EF) the difference in price is multiplied.

To buy the EF 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200 f4s would set you back around £3k UK prices.

The 15-35 f/2.8 (no f4 available at the moment), 24-70 f/4 (or 24-105 f/4) and 70-200 f/2.8 (f4 due to be released by the end the this year) costs around £6k.

Obviously it's not quite apples to apples as you can only buy two of the Holy Trinity RF Lenses in f/2.8 apertures and hence more expensive than the EF f/4s, but I'd expect the price to decrease not so significantly when the 15-35 f/4 is (ever?) released, as well as the 70-200 f/4 RF. I suppose that lens may cost £1,800 given the f/2.8 costs £2.5k. Therefore if all were F/4 lenses between both mounts I'd estimate the price of the RFs to total around £5k.

Last edited:
I have just pre-ordered an R6 as a trade in for my 1DXii with Wex. The 1DXii is great, built like a battleship and very heavy, but I want the AF improvements (especially face/eye recognition) offered by the R6. I will use the R6 with the EF/RF converter on my range of EF lenses I use for bird and other wildlife action.
This is the very first time I've ever pre-ordered any photography gear as I'm not a early adopter by nature! However the real life R6 reviews have impressed!
Here's hoping it all works out well!!

Russ

Mate teach me................................ why have you made this choice?

Also what are your future plans ( beyond the immediate stated above... keep DO? go RF?

Is it expensive. to move from DXii to RX6?

Russ a bit brief for me but very simply i'd love to know every detail of why you chose this, Ha, grats buddy can't wait for a piccy ;)

take care

stu

Anyone on here using the R5 yet?

If I was still with Canon this is the one i would go for Kev but I would want to know how well the camera can drive the AF on super teles with the adapter as there are No f4 RF long lenses out yet and i bet they will cost quite a bit more when they do come out .

Rob.

.......i'd love to know every detail of why you chose this....
Hi Stu
A bit of history first. I've had a crop sensor camera for many years (350D; 7d, then 7Dii) which were great for "reach", but could give noisy images. Last year I went full frame (1DXii) whilst waiting for Canon to produce a 7Diii (they never will)! The 1DXii gave me great images - but is very heavy and bulky for my advancing years and my "walkabout" style of wildlife photography (ie no tripod). I then swapped my 300 f/2.8ii lens for a 400 f4 DOii lens which also helped with the weight issue, but is still quite a heavy combo!

Then the rumours started about a new Canon mirrorless range which could give great AF performance for my BIF photography and, using a simple adapter, would allow me to keep all my EF and EF-S lenses and retain their performance on the R series cameras. I did not want to jump ship, so I put my trust in Canon to come up with a camera that would meet my specific needs and budget - they did - the R6.

Searching t'internet reveals many positive reviews of the R5 and R6, so I chose the R6 for it's performance/price performance and spoke to 5 companies about a trade-in for my excellent 1DXii. After some negotiation, WEX came out best for me. The timing suits me at the moment as I'm confined to barracks again (so don't need a "birding" camera right now), and I think the trade-in value of a 1DXii will only fall further as the R range increases in popularity. I obviously know the R6 will fall in price over the coming months - but it least I will then be out and about again with a more manageable-weight combo.

So I've bitten the bullet, become an early adopter for the first time ever, and now trust the R6 will live up to expectations :thinking:

Russ:)

Last edited:
That’s my thinking as well Rob I was hoping someone would make a statement saying they will work ok or not ?

Have a look at the Fred Miranda forum, there's a member called RobAmy who uses the R5 with the 400 F2.8 III & 600 F4 III - he has nothing but good things to say about it

A few shots of my first test with the Canon RF 85mm f/1.2 on the EOSR.
The weather has been awful all weekend but the wife and I decided to risk the wind and rain to go out to get a few shots, this lens is simply stunning, absolutely stunning.

Edit: Pics looked awful on here so I've put full size exports on flickr

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQbNM7o

Last edited:
Looking at them on my iMac and MBP on here they do look soft, they don't look like that in Lightroom.
I exported them and re-sized to 2048 long edge. I'll try to get some full size ones on Flickr later.

Looking good. Some lens envy here!

Have you put an order in for R6 or r5 yet?

Not yet, I'm going to hold off a little longer and see what happens with the over heating, not that it's a real issue for me as I rarely use video, and if I did I seriously doubt I'd need 8K :)
I've decided to get the R5 though, I want that extra resolution.

I've got the RF 85mm f/1.2L on a free test drive from Canon for the weekend, have to send it back tomorrow. I've been on the fence for a while with this lens but using it yesterday has made my mind up, even my wife (who hates getting her picture taken) thought they made her look good :ROFLMAO: and said you should definitely buy it.
So I'll probably wait 6 months (ish) before ordering the R5, in the meantime I'm definitely ordering the RF 85mm f/1.2L and may get the RF 50mm f/1.2L as well, might as well complete the collection, just need to wait for E-infinity to get stock, I can get both for a little bit more than what the 85 would cost over here.

Not yet, I'm going to hold off a little longer and see what happens with the over heating, not that it's a real issue for me as I rarely use video, and if I did I seriously doubt I'd need 8K :)
I've decided to get the R5 though, I want that extra resolution.

I've got the RF 85mm f/1.2L on a free test drive from Canon for the weekend, have to send it back tomorrow. I've been on the fence for a while with this lens but using it yesterday has made my mind up, even my wife (who hates getting her picture taken) thought they made her look good :ROFLMAO: and said you should definitely buy it.
So I'll probably wait 6 months (ish) before ordering the R5, in the meantime I'm definitely ordering the RF 85mm f/1.2L and may get the RF 50mm f/1.2L as well, might as well complete the collection, just need to wait for E-infinity to get stock, I can get both for a little bit more than what the 85 would cost over here.

Definitely listen to the Mrs.

A number of reviews on the Fred Miranda website of the R5 & R6

Russ

Thanks Russ.
Some great reviews on there, I’ll be spending some time watching them all :ROFLMAO:
The feedback on there AF on the R5 is what excites me, especially where it doesn’t get confused with other objects in the frame, as Irene explains in her review.
And the RF 85mm 1.2 looks like the dream lens to pair with the R5, I know I’m biased but Canon seems to be knocking it out of the park with the RF glass, can’t wait to get the R5 in my hands.

Thanks Russ.
Some great reviews on there, I’ll be spending some time watching them all :ROFLMAO:
The feedback on there AF on the R5 is what excites me, especially where it doesn’t get confused with other objects in the frame, as Irene explains in her review.
And the RF 85mm 1.2 looks like the dream lens to pair with the R5, I know I’m biased but Canon seems to be knocking it out of the park with the RF glass, can’t wait to get the R5 in my hands.
You're welcome, Paul!
Some of the videos are a little promotional, but still convey the sense of a great pair of cameras to look forward to. My main interest is using an R6 on my 400mm F4 Do ii lens for wildlife shots. Here's hoping it works as well as I anticipate.

Russ

E-infin have stock of the R5 & R6 if anyone's interested. Never used them myself, are they reliable?

E-infin have stock of the R5 & R6 if anyone's interested. Never used them myself, are they reliable?
Interestingly the R5 is reasonably cheaper than the UK where as the R6 is more or less the same price as the UK. Personally never used them but I hear good things from people that have.

Unless the pricing is just because of launch. I was expecting the R6 to come in around £1900.

Historically initial kit is not priced much lower than UK prices. Once initial demand is catered for then you should see prices start to gradually fall further.

I have my eye on a R6, but want to see the low light capability compared to the R.

E-infinity are very reliable, I’ve bought lots of high end gear from them.
Delivery is normally quick, and they send you a picture of your box next to your address label before they send it [emoji23]

Back