Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Please let us know how you get on. Do you think you’ll be using the eye AF?
For events, sports, portraits I'm sure I'll be using the eye AF. Tested yesterday with EF lenses and it locks on immediately and sticks like glue.
I don't have any RF lenses. With EF I found IBIS only functions in automatic mode, in M, P, Av etc it drops out of the menu altogether.
My next test will be alongside 1DXM2, my current workhorse, test mechanical vs electronic shutter and battery life.

Tim So have I got This right The R5 with a ef lens on their is no in camera is in M.P.Av so on setting ?
No sorry I was not clear. All the modes are there. What changes is the menu option for in body image stabilization, that only appears in auto mode.

For events, sports, portraits I'm sure I'll be using the eye AF. Tested yesterday with EF lenses and it locks on immediately and sticks like glue.
I don't have any RF lenses. With EF I found IBIS only functions in automatic mode, in M, P, Av etc it drops out of the menu altogether.
My next test will be alongside 1DXM2, my current workhorse, test mechanical vs electronic shutter and battery life.

Be interesting to hear your views on this as im trying to decide what to do with my 1DXII for next years weddings.

I'll let you know. I have a big event for a couple of weeks end of Sept - early Oct so the big test will be then. This weekend's assignments are filming tonight and aerial landscapes tomorrow. For the latter I'll bring it along as backup, main cameras for that are GFX.

Thanks for the update. I'm really interested in how you find it, and that sounds very promising! :)

That's really surprising that there is no IBIS with EF lenses when you're in Manual mode. Is it possible that the menu item just disappears but it still operates?

That's really surprising that there is no IBIS with EF lenses when you're in Manual mode. Is it possible that the menu item just disappears but it still operates?
- see post #2569 above:
No sorry I was not clear. All the modes are there. What changes is the menu option for in body image stabilization, that only appears in auto mode.
- this may answer your concern :)

Russ

- see post #2569 above:

- this may answer your concern :)

Russ
:ROFLMAO: Not sure if I'm being dim - I probably am, but I do understand...

- all the modes are there (P,M, Av etc).
- The menu option for in body stabilisation only appears when you are using auto mode

... however I still don't know whether IBIS actually works when an EF lens is mounted (when you're not in auto mode). Perhaps it always works and there is no option to turn it off, or perhaps it never works - I'm thinking from the original post that it just never works with EF lenses which is very disappointing and surprising.

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO: Not sure if I'm being dim - I probably am, but I do understand...

- all the modes are there (P,M, Av etc).
- The menu option for in body stabilisation only appears when you are using auto mode

... however I still don't know whether IBIS actually works when an EF lens is mounted (when you're not in auto mode). Perhaps it always works and there is no option to turn it off, or perhaps it never works - I'm thinking from the original post that it just never works with EF lenses which is very disappointing and surprising.
- I'm confused too, but this video may offer some answers (and there are lots of other youtube videos on the Fred Miranda forums on the R5)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wjxfSTR_vA

Russ

I just picked up the R5 from Panamoz, but had to order the 24-105 kit as they had no body only units.

For those interested they still have the body and lens kits available.

#happyface

Last edited:
Awesome!! :)
Are you going to keep the 24-105 or sell it?

I’ll probably keep it for now. Certainly until I can get the 28-70 which is currently out of stock.

As I’m starting from scratch I’ll probably go with:

15-35
28-70
70-200
85 1.2
50 1.2

Then wait for some other fast primes (24, 135), a longer Macro, and something for wildlife, as I’m not sure about the 100-500.

I've had the 15-35, 28-70 and 70-200 since December last year and I absolutely love them, just been waiting for the body to match.
I don't need the 85 or the 50 but I had the 85 on a free test drive from Canon and I just fell in love with it, so once that's back in stock I'll be picking that up, that'll be it for my spending for a long long time (apart from the 100-500).

Awesome!! :)
Are you going to keep the 24-105 or sell it?

.... Are you wanting to buy a RF 24-105mm because I am selling my EOS-R gear (not advertised yet)?

If so, I'll do the proper thing and post it in Classifieds and let you know so you can jump on it.

R5 in stock at Hdew

.... That was fast for a new product - HDEW, who I unreservedly recommend without hesitation, are usually a few weeks behind the standard UK retailers with a new product.

If I was still with Canon I would be almost certainly be buying a R5.

.... That was fast for a new product - HDEW, who I unreservedly recommend without hesitation, are usually a few weeks behind the standard UK retailers with a new product.

If I was still with Canon I would be almost certainly be buying a R5.

It's not the first stock they've had, they had some a couple of weeks ago

.... Are you wanting to buy a RF 24-105mm because I am selling my EOS-R gear (not advertised yet)?

If so, I'll do the proper thing and post it in Classifieds and let you know so you can jump on it.

My other half would probably Lynch me up if I suggested I wanted to buy another RF lens :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
As I have the 28-70 and 70-200 I don't think I'd really use the 24-105. That said I have a severe kit addiction so if it pops up I'll take a look.

Back