Canon EOS R Series Cameras

My biggest concern about the R6 and RF 24-105 is weather sealing. I hike and it rains. I use a 5dmk2 and EF 24-105 and use it in light rain often. Will the R6 and RF lenses really be as good? I’m very sceptical after handling an EOS R.

My biggest concern about the R6 and RF 24-105 is weather sealing. I hike and it rains. I use a 5dmk2 and EF 24-105 and use it in light rain often. Will the R6 and RF lenses really be as good? I’m very sceptical after handling an EOS R.
The R6's weather sealing is similar to the 6DMkII and the RF 24-105mm f/4 USM L IS is weather sealed just like the EF version and is in a different league performance wise.

Last edited:
The R6's weather sealing is similar to the 6DMkII and the RF 24-105mm f/4 USM L IS is weather sealed just like the EF version and is in a different league performance wise.

According to TheDigitalPicture's very thorough and usually reliable reviews,"Canon indicated to us that the R6's weather sealing is comparable to the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, which is designed for sustained exposure to mid-to-hard rain."

According to TheDigitalPicture's very thorough and usually reliable reviews,"Canon indicated to us that the R6's weather sealing is comparable to the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, which is designed for sustained exposure to mid-to-hard rain."
If you click on the "Press Release" link it takes you to the Canon USA press release where if you scroll down to the R6 specific details it says;
" Weather, drip and dust sealing on par with the EOS 6D series"

However it also states in the R5 and R6 collective section;
" Weather, drip and dust sealing on par with the EOS 5D series"

In the DPR video review he says the weather sealing is at the 6DII level.

In the "Digital Camera" review he states " Being that it is a 6-series body, the weather sealing is on par with the 6D".

Take your pick! :)

Last edited:
None in stock yet but £600+ less than list.

None in stock yet but £600+ less than list.

had a chat with them yesterday and not sure when stock is coming.

Would any of you be able to give me some idea, as to how much extra ‘power’ the average PC / Mac will need to process the RAW files of the R5 please?

Say, in comparison to a 30 mp file from the R or 5D4?

I’m currently using (with no problems) a 2015 MacBook Pro with an i7 2.2 GHz processor and 16GB of memory.

It's an amazing piece of glass isn't it? I just love it.
Did you get rid of the EF and buy this? :)

It's very, very good. The close focus on it too is great. One thing I don't like is it takes 2 or 3 turns of the zoom to go from 70 to 200mm, unlike the EF which can be done quicker with one twist.

I still have the EF. Have been using it adapted on the Sony and its doing great.

It's very, very good. The close focus on it too is great. One thing I don't like is it takes 2 or 3 turns of the zoom to go from 70 to 200mm, unlike the EF which can be done quicker with one twist.

I still have the EF. Have been using it adapted on the Sony and its doing great.

Completely agree on the turn, it's just a little too long.

How are you finding the R5 from a stills perspective?
I'm still intending to buy it but may wait 6 months or so as I want to catch some reviews of the R5 with the RF 100-500mm.

Utterly superb. Although it hasn't been out of the bag in a week, but going from a 5dMK3 to this is a huge jump. The amount of details per shot is another level, and I can really see a lot more detail in my landscape stuff, especially the smaller stuff in the distance. There also seems to be a lot more leeway with shadows and highlights.

ISO wise I've not really gone above 100 yet so can't comment.

For those worried about memory cards, I've got 2 SDXC cards for it, I have a high speed UHS 300MB/s sandisk extreme pro (£100 for 64GB) and a Sandisk Extreme 128GB (£28!!) 150MB/s card. The slower speed is perfectly fine, I've done a few test burst shots with it and it handled everything fine, yes there was a delay waiting for the buffer to finish writing, but I held the shutter down for a good 10 seconds or so with no apparent slow down.

Oh and the EVF is a thing of beauty!

No comment on video as it's not something I shoot (not even tried it yet)

has anyone tried recording video externally from the R5, e.g. atomos ninja. Is there a time limit for external recording?

Utterly superb. Although it hasn't been out of the bag in a week, but going from a 5dMK3 to this is a huge jump. The amount of details per shot is another level, and I can really see a lot more detail in my landscape stuff, especially the smaller stuff in the distance. There also seems to be a lot more leeway with shadows and highlights.

ISO wise I've not really gone above 100 yet so can't comment.

For those worried about memory cards, I've got 2 SDXC cards for it, I have a high speed UHS 300MB/s sandisk extreme pro (£100 for 64GB) and a Sandisk Extreme 128GB (£28!!) 150MB/s card. The slower speed is perfectly fine, I've done a few test burst shots with it and it handled everything fine, yes there was a delay waiting for the buffer to finish writing, but I held the shutter down for a good 10 seconds or so with no apparent slow down.

Oh and the EVF is a thing of beauty!

No comment on video as it's not something I shoot (not even tried it yet)

Fantastic, good to hear, I look forward to when they're more readily available :)

I left my Canon 80D and 55-250 STM Lens out in a 15 minute Thunderstorm downpour a month or so ago and they're both fine.

I have just pre-ordered an R6 as a trade in for my 1DXii with Wex. The 1DXii is great, built like a battleship and very heavy, but I want the AF improvements (especially face/eye recognition) offered by the R6. I will use the R6 with the EF/RF converter on my range of EF lenses I use for bird and other wildlife action.
This is the very first time I've ever pre-ordered any photography gear as I'm not a early adopter by nature! However the real life R6 reviews have impressed!
Here's hoping it all works out well!!

Russ

Back