Canon EOS R Series Cameras

HDEW are a good retailer, bricks and mortar as well.
I went there to collect some Olympus gear a few years ago, nice people and highly recommended just a shame they have such a small product range.

Isn't it the 1dxII sensor? so low light images should be comparable to that.
I have read it is similar to, and it is the same as the 1dxii sensor! Also don't know what else have been changed internally hardware/software that would make it behave differently if it were the same sensor.

It is a lot of money for me to spend if the difference is negligible so waiting to see actual users tests, comparison controlled tests and non paid for reviews before parting with any money.

I'm likely to be taking a forced sabbatical shortly (redundancy), so the perfect excuse to pickup some kit and spend some time relaxing for a change. Must say the R5 caught me a little off guard, I'd assumed I'd go Sony again, but it looks amazing, especially with that 85 f1.2 ;-)

I'm likely to be taking a forced sabbatical shortly (redundancy), so the perfect excuse to pickup some kit and spend some time relaxing for a change. Must say the R5 caught me a little off guard, I'd assumed I'd go Sony again, but it looks amazing, especially with that 85 f1.2 ;-)

You're right about the RF 85mm 1.2
I had it last weekend on a free test drive from Canon, even on the R it was fantastic, the sharpness was out of this world.
I can't wait to use it with the R5.
The 85 and 50 1.2 are expensive but as a long term investment I think they are worth it.

Having used the RF 85 recently I must it's the best 85mm I have used but it's a hefty piece of glass.
Can't make up mind between that lens and the new sigma art 85mm f1.4 for Sony which is a great size.

Having used the RF 85 recently I must it's the best 85mm I have used but it's a hefty piece of glass.
Can't make up mind between that lens and the new sigma art 85mm f1.4 for Sony which is a great size.

Which Canon have you got now?

Which Canon have you got now?
None at the moment. Still in process of selling Sony.
My mate has the R6 and R5 arriving at some point. So I used the RF85 with R6 it was really great. AF was better than any other fast 85mm I have used. And IQ without question is top notch

None at the moment. Still in process of selling Sony.
My mate has the R6 and R5 arriving at some point. So I used the RF85 with R6 it was really great. AF was better than any other fast 85mm I have used. And IQ without question is top notch

Havent had my hands on one yet, but everything I've read is positive.

Havent had my hands on one yet, but everything I've read is positive.

Very nice camera to handle. Leaves a lot to be desired on Sony.
Electronic shutter isn't great though (not that it's any better on Sony unless you are using A9)

In terms of rolling shutter or banding?
Rolling shutter and also noise. Sony does seem to retain slightly more dynamic range with electronic shutter than R6 does in electronic shutter mode.
Didn't get around to testing the banding but I imagine that'll also show with indoors lightning. We were mostly shooting in the park in good sunlight.

Last edited:
I've got my trigger finger ready when E-infin get stock.
I'm going for the R5, RF 85mm 1.2, RF 50mm 1.2 and the RF 100-500mm.

Also ordering a huge box of fish fingers so my kids can eat for the rest of the year :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'd be interested in how the 100-500 performs, looks like a great lens.

Seen a few tests - of the 500mm and 800mm and to be honest the results do look very very good....!

New 600 + 2x tc samples are over at dpr

Agree, I have the 15-35, 28-70, 70-200 and the 35mm f/1.8 - they’re all amazing on the R so can’t wait to try them on the 5 :)

I’m considering those zooms too. The only thing holding me back is the lack of my usual primes and a good wildlife lens (on Sony I used 200-600).

My prime lens lineup would normally be 24, 85 135 and a good sharp macro.

Has anyone seen any ‘set in stone’ articles on what we can expect from each individual EF lens with regards to IBIS on the two new bodies?

I’ve seen a few stating what to expect with the current RF lineup. Which also mentions a few EF lenses. But nothing very extensive overall...

I’m considering those zooms too. The only thing holding me back is the lack of my usual primes and a good wildlife lens (on Sony I used 200-600).

My prime lens lineup would normally be 24, 85 135 and a good sharp macro.

24GM is one of my most used lenses. One of the reasons holding me back from canon too.

The R6 has arrived! Unfortunately I had to wait for the serial number to apply for the free EF mount adaptor from Canon so more waiting time before I can use it in anger as I only have the non-L series 24-105 lens which I ordered with it (my current L series has been seriously playing up recently). I can't find any available Arca compatible mount plates for my tripod either... everything seems to be on backorder. At least I have time to get to know it well - I have to say it seems very fragile and small compared with the 5D II (which is a bit of a heavyweight beast) but I am sure I'll soon get used to it.

When Gordon says that there's no distinguishable difference between the R6 IQ and 5Dmk4's ... does that translate to print as well? He cropped in 1:1 I think in his tests and shows them side by side at different ISO values, from base to the maximum expanded ISO for each Camera, and says, as the video shows, that there doesn't seem to be any discernible difference between the two Cameras. But given the 5D4 is 30mp and the R6 is 20, does that IQ translate to print... ie. if you print the same photograph from the R6 and 5D4 to A3, will the IQ still be as indistinguishable?

Back