Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Not many people will buy into a new mount to adapt EF lenses unless they already have it.

I did, because the EF lenses work just as well via the adaptor as they do on a native EF mount. The only drawback is that the adaptor makes the lens and camera combination a little longer, meaning I had to readjust some of the dividers in one of my camera bags.

Friend said, first that reviews were rubbishing the converter gave poor results...
Echoing others here, totally rubbish!

So far no issues with EF lenses, Canon, Sigma (latest firmware) or Tamron. All focus as fast and as accurate as using them natively if not better than before due to the improved focusing system in the R (compared with 6D / 80D), this includes the 3rd party glass.

Is it the same friend who told you complete b****x about LED lights?
If so; your best bet is to not get involved in any conversations with him. He’s clearly a complete knob.

Sometimes I adore you Phil :D you say what I think, but don't hold back as much

Echoing others here, totally rubbish!

So far no issues with EF lenses, Canon, Sigma (latest firmware) or Tamron. All focus as fast and as accurate as using them natively if not better than before due to the improved focusing system in the R (compared with 6D / 80D), this includes the 3rd party glass.
Even adapting ef lenses to other branded camera worked brilliant too

.... Not according to a friend who has both Canon EF L lenses and a mirrorless Sony. He tells me quite emphatically that his EF lenses don't AF fully when mounted on his Sony. He likes both his Canon and Sony and has just bought a Sony 400mm F/2.8. He has no plans to move away from Canon.

He must not have many friends lol [emoji23]
Its not unusual for grown ups to be blunt ;)

And as always - context is everything, previously Ellie had been given some completely nuts advice from ‘a friend’ about LED lighting - which he swore gave better results than flash, but then showed work which proved the opposite, now ‘a friend’ is telling her that the EF converter creates optical problems - if he is the same bloke and was my mate, I’d tell him he’s being a knob.

If he was ‘an acquiantance’ I’d tell him he was mistaken, if he was a stranger I’d just met, I’d politely reply that it was ‘interesting’ but that my experience suggested otherwise, if he was a troll on the internet - then again I’d tell him he was being a knob.

.... Not according to a friend who has both Canon EF L lenses and a mirrorless Sony. He tells me quite emphatically that his EF lenses don't AF fully when mounted on his Sony. He likes both his Canon and Sony and has just bought a Sony 400mm F/2.8. He has no plans to move away from Canon.
Is this the same mate as the other guy saying the ef to r adapter is like a macro tube lol [emoji23]

Is this the same mate as the other guy saying the ef to r adapter is like a macro tube lol [emoji23]

.... No, this is a very experienced photographer I know quite well and I have spent a couple of days with him. I have no reason to disbelieve him - As I already said, he shoots with both Canon D-SLR and Sony mirrorless and owns both Canon and Sony lenses.

.... No, this is a very experienced photographer I know quite well and I have spent a couple of days with him. I have no reason to disbelieve him - As I already said, he shoots with both Canon D-SLR and Sony mirrorless and owns both Canon and Sony lenses.
So did I and I disagree with your mate. Af works fine on canon glass and been using canon glass for over 2years

So did I and I disagree with your mate. Af works fine on canon glass and been using canon glass for over 2years

.... Hmm, I wonder who to believe - Someone who I know personally and respect as a photographer or someone on an internet forum who has a strong tendency to post as if their main mission is to increase their post count?

Perhaps I better ask him exactly which Sony body he is using and which Canon lenses have not been fully functional in AF. They are usable but not fully functional is what he told me. Our discussion came about because he has recently bought a £10.5k Sony lens (which he is very happy with) partly because his Canon version didn't fully function on his Sony body. IIRC, he said that the latest Canon lens was lighter weight than the same Sony lens.

End of the I'm praising canon here!

.... The last thing anyone wants in this thread is another Sony vs Canon war - Something which you have a track record of encouraging unfortunately.

.... Hmm, I wonder who to believe - Someone who I know personally and respect as a photographer or someone on an internet forum who has a strong tendency to post as if their main mission is to increase their post count?

Perhaps I better ask him exactly which Sony body he is using and which Canon lenses have not been fully functional in AF. They are usable but not fully functional is what he told me. Our discussion came about because he has recently bought a £10.5k Sony lens (which he is very happy with) partly because his Canon version didn't fully function on his Sony body. IIRC, he said that the latest Canon lens was lighter weight than the same Sony lens.

.... The last thing anyone wants in this thread is another Sony vs Canon war - Something which you have a track record of encouraging unfortunately.
Lol I'm not. I'm saying canon glass adapts well!

I praise canon and I still get bashed here...

Anyway....

I took a punt on the Amazon L bracket and it seems like a good piece of kit. Gave it a good bend and break attempt before mounting to the body to see if it fell apart and all good.

I like this one because i could still flip out and rotate the screen plus no problems getting to the battery door.

2019-03-02 12_37_57-20190302_120514.jpg  -  FastStone Image Viewer 6.9.jpg2019-03-02 12_38_23-20190302_120527.jpg  -  FastStone Image Viewer 6.9.jpg2019-03-02 12_38_51-20190302_120536.jpg  -  FastStone Image Viewer 6.9.jpg

I still have enough grip on the bracket in the vertical position with my ball head to feel confident it's not going anywhere despite the cut out for the screen.

2019-03-02 12_41_39-20190302_124023[1].jpg  -  FastStone Image Viewer 6.9.jpg

DPR youtube review is up, and surprisingly Chris Nichols loves the ergonomics! I swear it's the first time I've seen him say a camera was comfortable, he's always moaning about grips being either too large or too small. Other than that it's predictable, the pros and cons everyone could rattle off without needing to watch, but tbh they went a lot easier on it than I thought they might

Is it the same friend who told you complete b****x about LED lights?
If so; your best bet is to not get involved in any conversations with him. He’s clearly a complete knob.

Now you mention it Phil, yep same said friend.. I forgot he also reckoned the convert mount also caused major issues with chronic abbreviations, which I haven't seen mentioned in reviews either.

But I sussed long ago, to take anything he says with a pinch of salt,

Hi @RedRobin you'll have to ask him specifically which lens does not AF that well.

I used Sony A73 adapted on my Canon lenses all AF okay but the expectation for wildlife super duper AF is definitely a no go area you'll have to use Sony 100-400mm or 400mm 2.8. The AF works very well with FL from 16mm to 105mm with eye-AF no issues at all and in fact, I prefer Sony than Canon.

Hi @RedRobin you'll have to ask him specifically which lens does not AF that well.

I used Sony A73 adapted on my Canon lenses all AF okay but the expectation for wildlife super duper AF is definitely a no go area you'll have to use Sony 100-400mm or 400mm 2.8. The AF works very well with FL from 16mm to 105mm with eye-AF no issues at all and in fact, I prefer Sony than Canon.

.... My friend is primarily a wildlife photographer. I'll have to ask him and report back although I don't see the relevance in this thread - Would be better discussed in the Sony thread as I don't think it's of much interest to Canon EOS-R series shooters.

The level of brilliance can vary quite a lot though...

Being able to adapt lenses from other systems is one of my favourite features of mirrorless systems (especially when they're manual focus). It's a pity the new mirrorless systems will make this much more difficult/impractical.

The level of brilliance can vary quite a lot though...

Being able to adapt lenses from other systems is one of my favourite features of mirrorless systems (especially when they're manual focus). It's a pity the new mirrorless systems will make this much more difficult/impractical.
The Canon 50 1.8 actually focuses better then the Sony 55mm equivalent! 15fps vs full on 20fps

May be jonney doesn't know what he is on about :p
But canon are pretty good at optics, no denying that

They are doing something right on the lens front. Their lenses get adapted more than most. They seem to be the only ones than can be auto focused on other systems. Well, EF mount lenses overall, inc third party.

They are doing something right on the lens front. Their lenses get adapted more than most. They seem to be the only ones than can be auto focused on other systems. Well, EF mount lenses overall, inc third party.

That's not strictly true, other mount lenses can be autofocussed too via. adapters. Just that sometimes its too much effort for little returns.

Having said that canon did make some smart choices with the mount design especially with EF mount. They went straight with focus by wire with USM motors which was smooth, fast and accurate for tracking all the while nikon and minolta were doing screw driven lenses. The protocol also seems pretty robust and they use roughly the same across all their current mounts i.e. EF/EOS M/ RF. The adapters are just pass through wires mostly. I am not sure if it has any limitations but so far its doing pretty well. This is the reason my old canon 100-300mm USM will AF just as well as recent 50mm STM when adapted.
Nikon is lot more complex and I believe there is also lot more lens to lens variation also in terms of firmware. Sony/minolta a-mount is actually not all that complicated but there aren't enough people owning these lenses to make it worth while 3rd parties to develop adapters for them. Though Sony do LA-EA adapters.

I have no idea about pentax, last time I used pentax was in film days! But there probably isn't enough market to develop any autofocus adapters around their lenses.

But I guess the gist is if you own EF lenses you'll always have a mount to use them on even if its via. adapters :D

Last edited:
That's not strictly true, other mount lenses can be autofocussed too via. adapters. Just that sometimes its too much effort for little returns.

Having said that canon did make some smart choices with the mount design especially with EF mount. They went straight with focus by wire with USM motors which was smooth, fast and accurate for tracking all the while nikon and minolta were doing screw driven lenses. The protocol also seems pretty robust and they use roughly the same across all their current mounts i.e. EF/EOS M/ RF. The adapters are just pass through wires mostly. I am not sure if it has any limitations but so far its doing pretty well. This is the reason my old canon 100-300mm USM will AF just as well as recent 50mm STM when adapted.
Nikon is lot more complex and I believe there is also lot more lens to lens variation also in terms of firmware. Sony/minolta a-mount is actually not all that complicated but there aren't enough people owning these lenses to make it worth while 3rd parties to develop adapters for them. Though Sony do LA-EA adapters.

I have no idea about pentax, last time I used pentax was in film days! But there probably isn't enough market to develop any autofocus adapters around their lenses.

Afaik Nikon or Sony lenses can't use AF on other mounts. I could be wrong, but not seen it done. Even Metabones, the higher end adapters, only have MF for Nikon to other mounts

Afaik Nikon or Sony lenses can't use AF on other mounts. I could be wrong, but not seen it done. Even Metabones, the higher end adapters, only have MF for Nikon to other mounts
Apparently there is going to be a E-mount to Z-mount AF adapter.
There is F-mount to E-mount AF adapter.

But my point was I don't think there's a big enough market for these to be seriously developed.
I think even the EF to E-mount adapter market has pretty much reached its saturation.

One thing for sure is that the Canon RF mount seems to have a lot of exciting potential regarding Canon's new lens designs. This looks as if it also expands the capabilities of EF lenses when adapter mounted on RF.

One thing for sure is that the Canon RF mount seems to have a lot of exciting potential regarding Canon's new lens designs. This looks as if it also expands the capabilities of EF lenses when adapter mounted on RF.
I quite like the idea of the adapter with slot in filter. You can buy one filter for all your lenses and no issues with flares etc.
but that adapter is rather expensive :(

One thing that occurred to me, is that if you are using RF lenses on an R body, then presumably you can't use that adapter with the filter in, it only works with EF to RF mounts. I wonder if they will develop one for RF to RF mounts?

Last edited:
One thing that occurred to me, is that if you are using RF lenses on an R body, then presumably you can't use that adapter with the filter in, it only works with EF to RF mounts. I wonder if they will develop one for RF to RF mounts?

.... Good point. For now at least, you have to sacrifice not having a programmable RF Control Ring Adapter if you want the RF Drop-in Filter Adapter.

That'd act like an extension tube which mean you'd loose focus at infinity. so not really possible for RF mount lenses.

That'd act like an extension tube which mean you'd loose focus at infinity. so not really possible for RF mount lenses.
ah yes! Maybe they could develop lenses with space for a drop in filter and build the optics around it?? It does seem a good idea and I know the Super teles have that.

Last edited:
Back