Canon EOS R Series Cameras

I initially read it as "how does the camera perform for the concerned photography". So I read the typo in a differently :D

The concerns he mentioned were landscape, cityscape etc. Hence my reply.

Even with concerts put into the mix my suggestion is not unchanged :)

He doesn’t mention any concerns in his OP, apart from ‘concern Photography’ :LOL:.

.... Fair enough. And yes, I have taken some great landscape shots on my iPhone, although I should strictly call them snaps because they tend to be quick and spontaneous.

I still think that it always comes down to the photographer rather than the camera as Ansel Adams' quote in my signature below.

But, unlike yourself, I think that the EOS-R + RF 24-105mm is an excellent, practical and flexible combo for landscapes :

ISLE OF PORTLAND AS A PASTEL VISTA by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Lovely ambience with the mist well captured :)

R+24-105mm is all of those things you mention, I do not disagree. but there are also other options available should someone be willing to consider options outside canon.
I think you come the point of view that "canon can do XXXX, so why look elsewhere". I take the point of view "which camera irrespective of brand is best value for doing XXXX".

Last edited:
He doesn’t mention any concerns in his OP, apart from ‘concern Photography’ :LOL:.

his concerns were landscape, cityscape and street photography, which is how I read it anyway. Now I know he meant concerts. :D

Lovely ambience with the mist well captured :)

R+24-105mm is all of those things you mention, I do not disagree. but there are also other options available should someone be willing to consider options outside canon.
I think you come the point of view that "canon can do XXXX, so why look elsewhere". I take the point of view "which camera irrespective of brand is best value for doing XXXX".

.... Thank you for the compliment - Always appreciated and lapped up as encouragement :)

Yes, you are right, I have a lot of money 'invested' (without any hope of profit!) in Canon and with the EOS system I feel that I don't need to look elsewhere. But I do absolutely appreciate that other brands might be better in some respects. I am very happy with what I have and have streamlined my gear this year - An arsenal to choose from of 2 bodies and 4 L lenses covers my needs according to the mission of the day.

Cheers!

Mirrorless cameras are small and light right... :D

View attachment 239957

.... :LOL:

Having owned an EOS M5 mirrorless I can tell you that that is small and light... But far too small and light for my wildlife photography! Hence now sold.

As I mainly shoot with a 100-400mm II and 500mm II, often with Extenders, I have found that making my EOS-R bigger by adding the battery grip has greatly improved balance and handling. I only mount the R on my 500mm when on tripod.

If this is your rig, why didn't you get the RF Control Ring Adapter? It transforms using EF lenses on the R. I shoot Manual-mode and have the ring programmed to ISO.

If this is your rig, why didn't you get the RF Control Ring Adapter? It transforms using EF lenses on the R. I shoot Manual-mode and have the ring programmed to ISO.
Yep my kit in the photo and I got the EF / RF adapter included with the R but i have been tempted by the control ring version :)

On size and weight... This is my Sony A7 but there's no fan boy in me and this could be a similar Canon or Nikon mirrorless :D

Small isn't it :D

WyXjGSo.jpg

Here it is fitting in a very small Lowepro Apex 100 bag with an excellent 35mm f2.8.

kSCnTEP.jpg

The camera size comparison websites are there for anyone who cares to use them :D

Some mirrorless bodies are smaller than DSLR's, that's just a fact so suck it up :D Yes, if you mount a large zoom the weight saving becomes smaller (but with identical lenses mirrorless always be smaller and lighter by some margin if the bodies are smaller and lighter) but with mirrorless you can at least mount a small and light lens to end up with a small and light camera and lens combination if you want and if you do want you'll end up with a camera and lens package that no DSLR can slim down to. That's another fact to suck up :D

Yep my kit in the photo and I got the EF / RF adapter included with the R but i have been tempted by the control ring version :)

.... Yes, I got the standard EF-RF Adapter included in my bundle too and I still have it and would be able to sell it with my EOS-R if/when I trade up to a higher spec 'R' version body in the future.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who enthusiastically extols the virtues and advantages of the Control Ring Adapter and the control ring on RF lenses has the same functionality.

Try one in a shop?

On size and weight... This is my Sony A7 but there's no fan boy in me and this could be a similar Canon or Nikon mirrorless :D

Small isn't it :D

Here it is fitting in a very small Lowepro Apex 100 bag with an excellent 35mm f2.8.

The camera size comparison websites are there for anyone who cares to use them :D

Some mirrorless bodies are smaller than DSLR's, that's just a fact so suck it up :D Yes, if you mount a large zoom the weight saving becomes smaller (but with identical lenses mirrorless always be smaller and lighter by some margin if the bodies are smaller and lighter) but with mirrorless you can at least mount a small and light lens to end up with a small and light camera and lens combination if you want and if you do want you'll end up with a camera and lens package that no DSLR can slim down to. That's another fact to suck up :D

.... It simply comes down to what a photographer's personal preferences are based on what kind of photography they like to do.

Personally I have gone the small and light route twice and come back to much preferring a bit of weight and camera controls which are big enough to actually use without thinking about it. At nearly 72yo I can easily manage my gear, so surely others can unless they have a particular physical condition - I can't run with it though! :D

ISLE OF PORTLAND AS A PASTEL VISTA by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Try one in a shop?
That'd mean being sociable and interacting with people, not sure i'm up for that hehe.

I haven't really used the kit in anger yet so waiting to see if i can include the much maligned multi function bar into my workflow that may negate the need for control ring adapter. Currently i have it set to change autofocus points and mapped the default button to move between single shot and ai servo. It seems to be working well so far because the nature of my photography (family / friends mostly these days) means i can set the camera up and leave it as is just tweaking ex-comp.

Last edited:
.... It simply comes down to what a photographer's personal preferences are based on what kind of photography they like to do...

I just get a bit tired on people insisting that mirrorless cameras are no smaller or lighter than DSLR's based on pictures of mirrorless cameras with massive zooms fitted.

Not that size and weight has to be the main criteria but it can certainly be one of them if you want a small camera and lens combination. The simple fact is that if you look at the smaller mirrorless cameras they are smaller than DSLR's and remain smaller when both are fitted with compact lenses. Of course fitting a massive zoom or massive long prime makes them a bigger package but that comes under the heading of stating the bl*****g obvious :D

Last edited:
I just get a bit tired on people insisting that mirrorless cameras are no smaller or lighter than DSLR's based on pictures of mirrorless cameras with massive zooms fitted.
If that was aimed at my post then you must of missed my smiley ;)

How does that handle? I'll be using the same combination when I get mine. Though I won't have the grip.

.... The grip makes a big difference to handling because the ball of your thumb aka 'Mount of Venus' comes into play to better support everything regardless of lens mounted.

It also has the bonus of more battery resource as the EOS-R is relatively heavy on battery juice.

Have you noticed that I am determined to convert you into a money-spending gearslut? :D

Last edited:
How does that handle? I'll be using the same combination when I get mine. Though I won't have the grip.
So far so good but i'll have a fuller answer after the weekend when i plan on going shooting with the combo :)

If that was aimed at my post then you must of missed my smiley ;)

It's easy to add a smiley though and less easy to take a balanced sensible view and not need the bleedin obvious pointing out to you :D

So I bought an R yesterday at the Photography Show - with the £500 cash back and trading in my camera it seemed a good deal. I'm now a tad nervous as I've realised the serial number on the receipt tallies with the mount adapter and not the camera, though plainly they can see how much I spent, so I'm hoping it comes good. Also got the 35mm 1.8.

\I think next year I'm going to this show and will bag one of the Canons; Just had a first try of full frame with the 6D and overall impressed with it; I tried an RP in my local LCE yesterday during lunch break and was quite taken with it! Not entirely convinced with the R or RP, I'm swaying towards the RP overall I think. Time will tell, I do think I've found the one I want to go for though. Seems like a higher end M50 - which is an amazing little camera - so excited to go down this route.

Of course, by next year, there will be newer models... decisions, decisions!

.... Yep. And year on year that is always the case. Technology never stands still.

I wondered whether to wait for a higher spec (faster fps for stills) EOS-R but decided not to wait and I can always trade up IF a future version is closer to what I want. Yes I will 'lose' money but I will have gained a lot more than just money by using one. No camera is perfect but the more important question is whether it offers enough of what you individually need.

Oh the RP will be fine for me even a few years on; I've got zero complains with the 6D apart from the "natural" view finder, af quantity of points and lack of touchscreen - and thats getting on for 7 years old! So I'll be fine with the RP - oof course if you guys are bored with it by next year, it'll do for me than for a small donation ;)

Thinking about it.. if I sold my RX10 3 plus Leica X1.. I might scrape to the price of an RP and adapter on the gray market...

And you'll still have a kidney to spare for the launch of the pro model. I'd bet you thought that you'd never need another body when you got your 6D. ;)

I never thought I'd meed another after I got the Panasonic G80 and all the top end X and Leica lens, when I got the GH3, when I got the Leica V Lux 114, when I got the RX10 mark 3, when I got the Canon M50 and various lens, when I got the M6.... the list, Andy is never ending!

It's easy to add a smiley though and less easy to take a balanced sensible view and not need the bleedin obvious pointing out to you :D
You seem to think the post was serious, i guess you missed the humour of it :p

So I bought an R yesterday at the Photography Show - with the £500 cash back and trading in my camera it seemed a good deal. I'm now a tad nervous as I've realised the serial number on the receipt tallies with the mount adapter and not the camera, though plainly they can see how much I spent, so I'm hoping it comes good. Also got the 35mm 1.8.

Yep, first time I'd tried one too.

Think I might give it a go.

Silky 3L
by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

Trying to claim the cash back on the Canon site, it requires me to put details for a purchased lens, even though I only purchased the body? Anyone else had this or know a way around it?

Trying to claim the cash back on the Canon site, it requires me to put details for a purchased lens, even though I only purchased the body? Anyone else had this or know a way around it?
Check that you've got the right drop down from the menu on the right. Where it says Series... choose DSLR... not DSLR lenses and accessories

Check that you've got the right drop down from the menu on the right. Where it says Series... choose DSLR... not DSLR lenses and accessories

It seems I had ended up on the EU claim form for some reason. Searched again on Google, got to the right place. Thank you :)

So my EOS R broke today during an event shoot,think it might be motherboard related.

Fault 1: Av mode making a correct assessment of the scene on a half shutter but then changing the shutter speed completely on press (going from 1/160 to 1/2000 for example)

Fault 2: after a few more hours shooting the back screen completely dies on me. Some of the touch screen still works (AF adjusts through the EVF) but yeh it's just dead.

So that's a nice parcel going to canon this week. Probably hand deliver it to have a whinge about quality control to some one that doesnt care :)

The £500 cash back seems a great deal, was this a show special? Did you get a good price on the 35mm too. I am so tempted by those 2, would make an ideal travel camera for me.

The £500 cash back seems a great deal, was this a show special? Did you get a good price on the 35mm too. I am so tempted by those 2, would make an ideal travel camera for me.
Canon cash back was £250 and you got double at the show. Although I planned to get the lens, I hadn't planned on getting it yet... however when I mentioned it, he said they had a good offer on the two. The trade in price was not mind blowing, and I had planned to walk away, however with the lens deal it knocked another £200 more off I think... so, all good as long as I get the £500 back.
I think the RP would make a better travel camera, but I have an Olympus I use for travel, and the RP was lacking a few features I wanted.

So my EOS R broke today during an event shoot,think it might be motherboard related.

Fault 1: Av mode making a correct assessment of the scene on a half shutter but then changing the shutter speed completely on press (going from 1/160 to 1/2000 for example)

Fault 2: after a few more hours shooting the back screen completely dies on me. Some of the touch screen still works (AF adjusts through the EVF) but yeh it's just dead.

So that's a nice parcel going to canon this week. Probably hand deliver it to have a whinge about quality control to some one that doesnt care :)

That sounds worrying. Hope it gets sorted soon. Keep us posted.

Canon cash back was £250 and you got double at the show. Although I planned to get the lens, I hadn't planned on getting it yet... however when I mentioned it, he said they had a good offer on the two. The trade in price was not mind blowing, and I had planned to walk away, however with the lens deal it knocked another £200 more off I think... so, all good as long as I get the £500 back.
I think the RP would make a better travel camera, but I have an Olympus I use for travel, and the RP was lacking a few features I wanted.

I didn’t even check the price of it while at the show. I did however get it from Park Cameras online with an instant £200 off and the standard £250 claim to Canon.

Back