Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Last edited:
Also, more Canon rumours from what are usually reliable sources. The first link is an overview, the second link below is an interview :

https://www.canonrumors.co/intervie...l-frame-mirrorless-camera-price-below-eos-rp/

https://eos-magazine-news.blogspot....-mike-burnhill-canon-eos-r-system-future.html

The interview is definitely worth a read in my opinion and answers some of the questions asked and discussed by us in this thread.
I agree, that interview is very informative. Thanks for sharing.

I was in Jessops yesterday playing with a few bits of kit, I have to say that touch-bar aside the Canon EOS R with the 24-105 feels very nice in the hand, the only mirrorless body that has somewhere for my pinky!

.... You probably already know this but just in case you don't : The Multi-function touch bar can be totally disabled as well as programmed to a variety of functions.

As I use the AF-ON as Back Button Focus, I occasionally unintentionally hit the touch bar but I have it currently programmed to enlarge the view, useful for checking tricky focus.

EOS R v1.2.0 firmware now available :)

https://canoncanada.custhelp.com/ap...rdID/RN_PRODUCT_1328/truncate/200/type/browse

Firmware changes:
Firmware Version 1.2.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:

Eye-detection AF
1. Supports Servo AF when shooting still images.
2. Now available when shooting movies regardless of "Movie Servo AF" setting.
Small AF Frame Size
Supports Servo AF when shooting still images.
3. Now available when shooting movies regardless of "Movie Servo AF" setting.

4. Under certain conditions the electronic level displayed in the electronic viewfinder did not display properly.
5. Under certain conditions information displayed in the electronic viewfinder was not properly rotated.
6. Under certain conditions updating the firmware for the wireless file transmitter WFT-E7 was not possible.

This firmware update is for cameras equipped with firmware up to Version 1.1.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.2.0, this update is unnecessary. When updating the firmware of your camera, please first review the instructions thoroughly before you download the firmware.
The firmware update takes approximately 6 minutes.

Update mine and no problems.

Kept all my custom modes, settings, fav menus etc. Eye detect working well in Servo AF in both stills and video :)

I'm using the RP, so far am loving it, Will be giving it a proper testing tomorrow night shooting some astro if the weather stays clear so will see how it does. Technically its my walk around camera now, but can see myself using it a lot more than I thought I would.

I'm using the RP, so far am loving it, Will be giving it a proper testing tomorrow night shooting some astro if the weather stays clear so will see how it does. Technically its my walk around camera now, but can see myself using it a lot more than I thought I would.

I was wondering because nobody really talks about it on here. I think it looks a fun camera and a nicely priced way to get into full frame. It's gotten a right roasting online but mostly from videographers who shouldn't be looking at it anyway! I see it as a mostly stills camera with video as a bonus. Are you using any RF lenses or adapting EF?

Yeah, I do zero video so that side of things doesn't interest me at all! Its all that's mentioned online though which is annoying as its not what the camera is for. Effectively I bought it to replace my Eos M3 which I loved the size of and generally the performance was ok, but found things like the af etc quite slow and viewfinder delays, whereas the RP so far seems quicker than a lot of cameras I've used (and still own), like the Nikon D810A and 5d2. I inherited my dads canon gear so I am adapting a wide range of EF lenses and I'm finding no issues at all with speed or performance. I have used it with the 24 1.4, 50, 1.4 and 70-200 2.8 IS so far. I see a lot of people online also saying its quite a small camera, but I'm using it without the 'grip' and it feels great in my hand and I'm used to cameras with a grip.. so id suggest trying one to see. Also see lots of posts about DR on the camera but the way I shoot I don't pull the shadows or exposure hard and TBH, even if I could, I probably wouldn't. I have played about though and coming from the days of shooting a d2xs and similar where you pull a shadow slightly and the photo is scrap, this camera is a far cry from those days.

Yeah, I do zero video so that side of things doesn't interest me at all! Its all that's mentioned online though which is annoying as its not what the camera is for. Effectively I bought it to replace my Eos M3 which I loved the size of and generally the performance was ok, but found things like the af etc quite slow and viewfinder delays, whereas the RP so far seems quicker than a lot of cameras I've used (and still own), like the Nikon D810A and 5d2. I inherited my dads canon gear so I am adapting a wide range of EF lenses and I'm finding no issues at all with speed or performance. I have used it with the 24 1.4, 50, 1.4 and 70-200 2.8 IS so far. I see a lot of people online also saying its quite a small camera, but I'm using it without the 'grip' and it feels great in my hand and I'm used to cameras with a grip.. so id suggest trying one to see. Also see lots of posts about DR on the camera but the way I shoot I don't pull the shadows or exposure hard and TBH, even if I could, I probably wouldn't. I have played about though and coming from the days of shooting a d2xs and similar where you pull a shadow slightly and the photo is scrap, this camera is a far cry from those days.

I think a lot of those moaning about the DR, just as they did with the 6DII [same sensor I believe?] don't understand, it's only weak at low ISO where most cameras are strongest in terms of DR, but afaik it's very good when you bump to higher ISO levels, better than many other similar priced sensors. I love the look of it and can imagine it being pretty comfy in hand. It's about the same size as my Panasonic G80 and I love the feel of that camera. The G80 having maybe the edge on the grip side. My interest is casual but I could see it as a nice side camera to my G80 - obviously with better overall IQ and ISO performance - as I'm already using adapters for EF and EF-S lenses to the G80, just for fun :) so I could use the same lenses for both, I would definitely buy it with the adapter, I'm not all that interested in RF glass though the 35 1.8 macro does intrigue me, that's right up my alley

ive got a 6d at the moment but I must admit I am tempted by the eos-r and the rf 35 mm macro combo. daft really as I use film way more than digital.

Im about a month into my RP ownership. Ive shot about a 1000 frames with it, all personal stuff no assignments yet. I must say I am very glad with my decision to also buy the RF 35mm F1.8 IS as it has been permanently glued to the RP. It makes for such a capable and portable combo, the 50% macro capability is also very useful. I have barely used my EF mount Tamron 24-70 F2.8 DI VC but I have confirmed all functions works as expected and AF speed etc is not compromised.

I'm still working out how I best like to control the focus system (currently using touch-drag on the left side). Fv exposure mode is also interesting, and handy for some scenarios.

My biggest issue is battery life - Id really love to know of some third part (i.e. CHEAP) LE-E17 options if anyone has any?

Im about a month into my RP ownership. Ive shot about a 1000 frames with it, all personal stuff no assignments yet. I must say I am very glad with my decision to also buy the RF 35mm F1.8 IS as it has been permanently glued to the RP. It makes for such a capable and portable combo, the 50% macro capability is also very useful. I have barely used my EF mount Tamron 24-70 F2.8 DI VC but I have confirmed all functions works as expected and AF speed etc is not compromised.

I'm still working out how I best like to control the focus system (currently using touch-drag on the left side). Fv exposure mode is also interesting, and handy for some scenarios.

My biggest issue is battery life - Id really love to know of some third part (i.e. CHEAP) LE-E17 options if anyone has any?

How about something like this twin pack? The RP uses the same battery as some of the M series bodies: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Ch...ywords=LE-E17&qid=1556107276&s=gateway&sr=8-6

What is everyone's opinion of the 24-105 lens? Is it worth getting the bundle or saving some money?

What is everyone's opinion of the 24-105 lens? Is it worth getting the bundle or saving some money?

.... I assume you are asking about the RF 24-105mm F/4L IS. In which case i find it excellent as an all-round general purpose lens.

I would add that a lot of photographers have been full of praise for the RF 24-105mm, it's not just my opinion.

I do find the zoom ring a bit stiffer than I would like though and the Control Ring a bit too close to the Manual Focus ring.

I'm finding myself quite tempted by the little RP to have a tinker with some Canon EF glass. Am I right in thinking that with the bundled adaptor EF lenses are basically native speed in terms of AF?

I had an a7III and via the Sigma adaptor the EF 50mm 1.2 was comfortably better than it ever was on an actual Canon body (in terms of speed and accuracy). If the RP is even in the same ballpark I'd be interested.

I'm finding myself quite tempted by the little RP to have a tinker with some Canon EF glass. Am I right in thinking that with the bundled adaptor EF lenses are basically native speed in terms of AF?

I had an a7III and via the Sigma adaptor the EF 50mm 1.2 was comfortably better than it ever was on an actual Canon body (in terms of speed and accuracy). If the RP is even in the same ballpark I'd be interested.

I have the R and the ef adapter. Lenses work as well as on DSLR, but seem to get better results (i.e. more shots with focus exactly where I want it).

Would imagine the RP is the same.

Out of interest the people that didn't buy the R from a UK high street shop, where did you purchase it ftom? Panamoz, e-infinity (not sure that's how they're spelt) etc.

Out of interest the people that didn't buy the R from a UK high street shop, where did you purchase it ftom? Panamoz, e-infinity (not sure that's how they're spelt) etc.

.... I bought my R from Wex in part exchange with my EOS M5 and 7D-2 but I often buy from HDEW and can very highly recommend them. I have never bought from Panamoz nor e-Infinity and so do not have any experience of them.

HDEW link : https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-cameras-348-c.asp

Even if not shown currently on their website they can often get it if you contact them and ask. They have had the EOS-R.

.... I bought my R from Wex in part exchange with my EOS M5 and 7D-2 but I often buy from HDEW and can very highly recommend them. I have never bought from Panamoz nor e-Infinity and so do not have any experience of them.

HDEW link : https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-cameras-348-c.asp

Even if not shown currently on their website they can often get it if you contact them and ask. They have had the EOS-R.
Yes @RedRobin, HDEW is where I bought my M5 from, had no complaints. As you noticed they don't list the R at the moment otherwise I wouldn't hesitate ordering one. Panamoz are currently doing the R with the 24-105 for £2000'ish where as at Wex it's £3200'ish. So it's very tempting to go grey just always preferred buying from the likes of Wex.....I'm going there Sunday or Monday, bet I walk out with one.

We are all too familiar with the dilemma of UK-source or grey-market, but when you compare the prices of the EOS R with the 24-105 lens - £3,019 after cashback from WEX and £2,040 from Panamoz, we aren’t talking saving enough for a meal and a few drinks (well not for me anyway). That’s a very sizeable saving and at the end of the day the products are the same, to the same spec and from the same factories. That makes the grey-market offering very tempting indeed. The £979 saved is going to last much longer that the guilt of not allowing rip-off Britain to get yet another one over us.

Yes @RedRobin, HDEW is where I bought my M5 from, had no complaints. As you noticed they don't list the R at the moment otherwise I wouldn't hesitate ordering one. Panamoz are currently doing the R with the 24-105 for £2000'ish where as at Wex it's £3200'ish. So it's very tempting to go grey just always preferred buying from the likes of Wex.....I'm going there Sunday or Monday, bet I walk out with one.

.... I bought my M5 from HDEW too (and sold it to Wex). Wex is by far my favourite normal retail supplier - Extremely helpful staff and good policies. They carry far more varied stock than HDEW - They each offer something different and I sing the praises of both solely based on lots of direct experience. As they are based here on a light industrial estate and used to be a high street shop until they got fed up with being screwed by greedy landlords and the internet sales started to be more active, I would describe them as 'pale grey'.

The £979 saved is going to last much longer that the guilt of not allowing rip-off Britain to get yet another one over us.

.... No guilt whatsoever ever felt by me!

@RedRobin out of interest, how much did Wex give you for your M5? Also was there any issues with it being grey? I'm going in over the weekend to trade in my old 100-400mm l for the mk2, thinking I might throw my M5 in also as I can't see me using it if I get an R.

@RedRobin out of interest, how much did Wex give you for your M5? Also was there any issues with it being grey? I'm going in over the weekend to trade in my old 100-400mm l for the mk2, thinking I might throw my M5 in also as I can't see me using it if I get an R.

.... £300 and no issues (no questions were asked but I am a longstanding regular customer).

I have had the EF 100-400mm F/4L II for several years (bought from HDEW) - I don't think you'll be disappointed. The reason I traded in my M5 (and 7D-2 with it since buying a 1DX-2) for an EOS-R was that I found the M5 too small physically to be comfortable - Its image quality was superb though and matched the 7D-2. After I bought my 5D-4 I hardly used my 7D-2.

I have now streamlined my gear to have only the 1DX-2 and R bodies. Because I use mostly telephoto lenses I bought a battery grip for the R and much prefer the balance and handling as my main criticism of the R is the awkward AF-ON button position as I always shoot Back-Button-Focus. It would be great if my 1DX-2 had some of the R's mirrorless features but it's horses-for-courses according to the target.

If you are interested, check out my EOS-R Album on Flickr - I include the lens and settings info :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157703352623054/with/32328652458/

HTH :)

.... £300 and no issues (no questions were asked but I am a longstanding regular customer).

I have had the EF 100-400mm F/4L II for several years (bought from HDEW) - I don't think you'll be disappointed. The reason I traded in my M5 (and 7D-2 with it since buying a 1DX-2) for an EOS-R was that I found the M5 too small physically to be comfortable - Its image quality was superb though and matched the 7D-2. After I bought my 5D-4 I hardly used my 7D-2.

I have now streamlined my gear to have only the 1DX-2 and R bodies. Because I use mostly telephoto lenses I bought a battery grip for the R and much prefer the balance and handling as my main criticism of the R is the awkward AF-ON button position as I always shoot Back-Button-Focus. It would be great if my 1DX-2 had some of the R's mirrorless features but it's horses-for-courses according to the target.

If you are interested, check out my EOS-R Album on Flickr - I include the lens and settings info :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157703352623054/with/32328652458/

HTH :)
Thanks for the reply @RedRobin. My main camera I use for my wildlife photography is a 1dx, also had a 7dmk2 but never used it once I got the 1dx so traded it in. After using multiple mirrorless cameras over the years, Sony's, Olympus and canon's I do like having the option. I'll use the R for slower mammals etc and keep the 1dx for Bif and some motorsport(superbikes).

I didn't get a quote from them when I traded in a grey camera recently. If you read their terms, it does say they don't accept grey imports, but then if they don't ask....

Tempted with an M5; Let me know if you decide to list if fro sale!

I sold my 5D3 to MBP. I was a grey import, and I declared it as such. No issues. I bought the EOS R from Panamoz and once again, service was great. I bought the RF35mm from Amazon, as price wise, it was similar to Panamoz.

Got my EOS R last Wednesday and had it on a trip to London these past 4 days. I have to say I am seriously impressed with it. Bit more fiddly to use than a 5d4 but it’s just a matter of getting used to it I think. The flippy out screen was excellent for architecture. The menus are up to Canon’s usual high standard and easy to navigate. Just annoyed that I. waited so long to get one.

Regards...

Got my EOS R last Wednesday and had it on a trip to London these past 4 days. I have to say I am seriously impressed with it. Bit more fiddly to use than a 5d4 but it’s just a matter of getting used to it I think. The flippy out screen was excellent for architecture. The menus are up to Canon’s usual high standard and easy to navigate. Just annoyed that I. waited so long to get one.

Regards...

Aaaarggghh...

Remember you can confess your GAS in the thread started prior to the photo show....

Back