Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Anyone tried any motorsport photography with the R? Any examples? How does the tracking do?

.... Not motorsport but wildlife fast action and the EOS-R is not the best horse for that course at all - It's hit and miss with a painfully slow fps burst rate even with an ultrafast 299Mb/s Sony card. An action camera needs to be reliable in nailing action shot opportunities.

I have just spent a very intense week shooting various wildlife subjects in Bulgaria and used the EOS-R very successfully for macro and close-up but the 1DX-2 for everything else.

BANDED DEMOISELLE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
I wonder how long it will be before something to match 1DX series will come along. Canon usually put a new one of these out in the run up to the Olympics.

I have (see post #1081 above) and found it to be pretty woeful to be honest. Canons implementation of a blackout free EVF is also pretty rubbish and just about unusable in my experience.

Simon.

Yeah it wasn’t fantastic. First time attempting at panning too.

Yeah it wasn’t fantastic. First time attempting at panning too.

Not being funny, but if it was your first time panning, then your technique will be just as responsible (if not more) then your camera for blurry results......

I wonder how long it will be before something to match 1DX series will come along. Canon usually put a new one of these out in the run up to the Olympics.

.... Yes, such timing makes very good marketing sense. The 1DX-3 is currently more than just a rumour (apparently) but a mirrorless equivalent may take longer, we can only speculate but both are coming sometime in the future.

Maybe, but it makes me wonder if the people at Canon are sniffing glue! People are crying out for a higher burst rate, two card slots, etc. and Canon look like they are responding with a camera which works best in the dark! As I say, they must be on glue!
To be fair to Canon, this seems to be a standard R with an astro sensor. So not really very hard to produce and I dought it will be labelled as a new camera. As the article said, they've done it before.

Unless it is the one that I read about yesterday that Andy Rouse posted about testing. I just googled again.. seems that was all a red herring.

Last edited:
Unless it is the one that I read about yesterday that Andy Rouse posted about testing. I just googled again.. seems that was all a red herring.

.... Andy Rouse has published a written statement in which he states that he is no longer an ambassador for Canon and he has moved to Olympus.

Maybe, but it makes me wonder if the people at Canon are sniffing glue! People are crying out for a higher burst rate, two card slots, etc. and Canon look like they are responding with a camera which works best in the dark! As I say, they must be on glue!

.... Just because a camera manufacturer releases one product before another product doesn't mean that the yet-to-be-released product isn't continuing to be developed - Until Canon make a formal announcement it's all hyperinterwebbynet speculation and rumours anyway.

Hardware and software manufacturers tend to release new products as and when they deem them as ready for public consumption. Having said that, they might hold a product back to coincide with a major show or event such as world olympics if the timing is close.

For what it's worth, I'm wanting a much higher burst rate from an EOS-R but I find dual card slots a nuisance when they are different card types - I only load CFast cards in one slot on my 1DX-2. So, I personally would prefer two identical card slots and am happy with just one. We all have our own individual preferences.

.... Andy Rouse has published a written statement in which he states that he is no longer an ambassador for Canon and he has moved to Olympus.

Well, he really hops around doesn't he? I met him towards the end of the Bewick's at Slimbridge in February with the EOS R; he really liked it and then gave it high praise at the Photo Show. I guess they must have paid him big bucks to switch although the other Oly people have said that they had to buy their kit themselves.... I have an Olympus set up but am not going to fork out for the new one or that 300 f4. If he has changed his style perhaps that explains it.

Well, he really hops around doesn't he? I met him towards the end of the Bewick's at Slimbridge in February with the EOS R; he really liked it and then gave it high praise at the Photo Show. I guess they must have paid him big bucks to switch although the other Oly people have said that they had to buy their kit themselves.... I have an Olympus set up but am not going to fork out for the new one or that 300 f4. If he has changed his style perhaps that explains it.
I guess it's not easy for anyone making a living in wildlife photography. Maybe he has back/mobility problems? I reckon Canon only ever loaned him cameras to use anyway. I noticed after extolling the virtues of the 1DXii he appeared to be using a 5D iv, and then the R.

I have that Oly 300 f/4 it is a superb lens, considerably lighter and cheaper than Canon equivalents - sensor issues aside.

This blog post from him explains all: -

https://www.andyrouse.co.uk/index.php?eb=1&id=109

He is very clear that he is not an ambassador for Olympus or being paid by them.

Cheers,

Simon.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that, Simon. I did not find that when I went looking. It was an interesting read. Perhaps Andy Rouse will become the poster man for a mixed system approach; I have just packed my bag for a weekend away and packed both Oly and Canon kit. I really like them both although have been Canon for 30 years or so. It will be interesting to see what else he has to say. In terms of Olympus' 'niche' position, I am quite pleased really as I don't want them to be swallowed by mirrorless FF.

So I've been doing some serious mulling after experiencing a 5D and 6D full frame recently, and decided that I'm going for an RP or R. R would be nicer but its around #400 more or so; I'll e getting it offline where the RP and kit works out around £900 (I will wait for a code of Ebay for 10 or 20% off though!) and the R around £500 more.

Anyone has the R and thinks I wouldn't regret going for the RP? Primarily wildlife and general shooting, but I'm just thinking go for the best even if it requires a little more saving (granted I do have £900 in Nectar points (Ebay conversion!) .

I'll be using a 24-105L, 200 2.8L and 100-400L on this. Will be getting rid of my other kit to fund and go back o just one system. Means I'll be leaving the Panasonic GX9, 12-35, 35-100 and Leica 25mm. Wish I could keep the lens but as I really like them but alas!

R or RP? Many thanks in advance!

So I've been doing some serious mulling after experiencing a 5D and 6D full frame recently, and decided that I'm going for an RP or R. R would be nicer but its around #400 more or so; I'll e getting it offline where the RP and kit works out around £900 (I will wait for a code of Ebay for 10 or 20% off though!) and the R around £500 more.

Anyone has the R and thinks I wouldn't regret going for the RP? Primarily wildlife and general shooting, but I'm just thinking go for the best even if it requires a little more saving (granted I do have £900 in Nectar points (Ebay conversion!) .

I'll be using a 24-105L, 200 2.8L and 100-400L on this. Will be getting rid of my other kit to fund and go back o just one system. Means I'll be leaving the Panasonic GX9, 12-35, 35-100 and Leica 25mm. Wish I could keep the lens but as I really like them but alas!

R or RP? Many thanks in advance!

For the better grip, higher res and other extra features I would go for the R in your case, you already have some nice lenses to stick on there.

For the better grip, higher res and other extra features I would go for the R in your case, you already have some nice lenses to stick on there.

Yes.. heart is saying save for the R, but around £830 is easier to stomach; Will have to see, now begins the process of trading in everything! Only things for certain I'll keep will be Sony RX10 4 I think! Such a hard decision, I form attachments to these cameras!

Yes.. heart is saying save for the R, but around £830 is easier to stomach; Will have to see, now begins the process of trading in everything! Only things for certain I'll keep will be Sony RX10 4 I think! Such a hard decision, I form attachments to these cameras!

You'll need the EF adapter too, you're hardly getting that inc for that £830?

So I've been doing some serious mulling, and I have decided that I'm going to sell my 5DSR and buy a R.Love the idea of the articulated screen.It will help when bending for my macro shots.

£919 currently brand new include the adapter, so with the discount (Ebay offer every so often) it works out closer to £830.

So I've been doing some serious mulling, and I have decided that I'm going to sell my 5DSR and buy a R.Love the idea of the articulated screen.It will help when bending for my macro shots.

.... I would advise getting the Control Ring Adapter rather than the plain one. The ring is programmable and very useful in practice, especially if you shoot Manual-mode and Macro - I use it for ISO. It will transform your use when EF lenses are mounted.

Allan, in RAW format I find that most EOS-R files are 32-36Mb rather than the 30Mb advertised by Canon. The 5DSR has some serious resolution which I doubt the EOS-R will quite match if you look too closely and pixel peep but it won't be shabby!

@stickytape the RP only has a silent mode, not a silent shutter which might make a difference if you’re trying not to disturb wildlife.

True - that doesn't bother me too much, when I say wildlife I mean the garden birds normally, if I was after golden eagles then sure I'd be worried!

Well I have bought an R, but its not arrive yet; However there is 10% off Ebay today for anyone, so just bought an RP and adapter which worked out at £798 in total! So very please, I think I'll wait for both to arrive and then have a use of both and see what I think. The R worked out at about £1335 vs £798 for the RPM; Will be using the 24-105L, 200 2.8L and 100-400L so got some nice lens now! Just need someone to buy all my G kit so I can avoid bankruptcy!

Just a little update to confirm my dissatisfaction when it comes to needing to shoot wildlife action very quickly. I have just returned to the UK from photographing Eurasian Brown Bears (Grizzly cousins) in the forests of Finland. I was in a hide for a 14-hour session alone every night for 5 days and didn't bother sleeping because I didn't want to miss anything. My Canon 500mm was mounted on my 1DX-2 on a gimbal on a Skimmer and my 100-400mm was mounted on my EOS-R on the shelf ready to handhold through another of the canvas draw-string windows.

What I found was that in the excitement of the moment it was so difficult to shoot with a correct exposure on the R that any shots were unreliable. I shoot Manual-mode on both cameras. I missed several ace close-ups trying to shoot with my R.

The EOS-R might have been much easier to use if it was also mounted on a gimbal but carrying 10kg on my back through a swamp to get to the hide was quite enough without packing any extra gear. When I have mounted my EOS-R on a big lens on a tripod I find it much easier to use - I think it's because I shoot Manual-mode and the ISO Control Ring is easier to access on a tripod if the lens is a big one.

My conclusion is that the EOS-R is okay if any lens shorter than a 100-400mm is mounted but for longer lenses only if tripod mounted. The 1DX-2 kills it in every circumstance. However, the EOS-R is great for macro and close-up photography or for general purpose or landscapes when working very fast is not required to nail the shot. Horses-for-Courses.

I am just sharing my findings and everyone will have their own individual preferences and abilities to gain the most from the EOS-R. I guess that the 1DX-2 is twice the cost for a reason! But whether a forthcoming EOS-R PRO version will match a 1DX-2 or future 1DX-3 in terms of ease-of-use is quite another matter. The image quality of the EOS-R is absolutely up to the same standard in my opinion.

Last edited:
I am waiting for mine to arrive , maybe get it for the weekend.

I am waiting for mine to arrive , maybe get it for the weekend.

I'm praying so! Looking as it was ordered on June 24th, so should be by this weekend... I'm dying to try it on the peregrine, the tatton park US country park show and the ospreys nesting someplace in Wales!

What memory cards are best for this camera?

(I have 6 UHS-I sandisk / samsung cards but reading on the net, these are supposedly having issues and everyone is saying to only use UHS-II cards.)

I have a Sandisk 64GB @300 and a Lexar 128GB @150, both UHS 2. Both record 4k video and both keep up with full burst rate. The Sandisk was around 100UKP and the Lexar around 30UKP, both from Amazon. I'd happily buy either again.

Never tried UHS 1 cards so can't speak to them but suspect you may have issues recording 4K video on them. Stills will be just fine.

Regards...

I have a Sandisk 64GB @300 and a Lexar 128GB @150, both UHS 2. Both record 4k video and both keep up with full burst rate. The Sandisk was around 100UKP and the Lexar around 30UKP, both from Amazon. I'd happily buy either again.

Never tried UHS 1 cards so can't speak to them but suspect you may have issues recording 4K video on them. Stills will be just fine.

Regards...
I'm only doing still atm

Hmm well after a day and I got chance to use it, a few thoughts; not massively impressed with the freeze in the VF you get, even after just shooting a single shot in single mode. AF seems pretty good, the tracking works okay for sea gulls and such like. Quality wise, seem razor sharp on my 100-400 lens - even at 5.6. Looking forward to more use tomorrow and a few results will be up too! Still more excited for the RP that is arriving sometime next week; at this point, I’m not sure which will be shipped off the MPB first!

Oh just to add - I’m loving the M-FN button, in playback mode I’ve set it to protect images, shooting it’s the ISO. All good with me, seems easy to use and responsive.

Hmm well after a day and I got chance to use it, a few thoughts; not massively impressed with the freeze in the VF you get, even after just shooting a single shot in single mode. AF seems pretty good, the tracking works okay for sea gulls and such like. Quality wise, seem razor sharp on my 100-400 lens - even at 5.6. Looking forward to more use tomorrow and a few results will be up too! Still more excited for the RP that is arriving sometime next week; at this point, I’m not sure which will be shipped off the MPB first!

You should get the 35 1.8 macro, that lens alone almost tempted me to the RP. It's not the fastest lens, going on reviews, and a bit noisey, but optically it looks a little cracker. Tack sharp at 1.8 and the fact it can do 1:2 is great, if you think of it more as a prime with excellent close up capabilities rather than an actual macro.

You should get the 35 1.8 macro, that lens alone almost tempted me to the RP. It's not the fastest lens, going on reviews, and a bit noisey, but optically it looks a little cracker. Tack sharp at 1.8 and the fact it can do 1:2 is great, if you think of it more as a prime with excellent close up capabilities rather than an actual macro.

I’ll do some research! For now I’ve bought a 50mm off here to see how that goes!

Back