Canon EOS R Series Cameras

You should get the 35 1.8 macro, that lens alone almost tempted me to the RP. It's not the fastest lens, going on reviews, and a bit noisey, but optically it looks a little cracker. Tack sharp at 1.8 and the fact it can do 1:2 is great, if you think of it more as a prime with excellent close up capabilities rather than an actual macro.

I'd love to see a 35mm f1.8 "macro" for the Sony system but when taking close up pictures of larger things like flowers and leaves etc rather than 1:1 macro of smaller things and details one thing with wider lenses, and I'd class a 35mm as a wider lens when looking at flower shots and similar, is that the perspective may not suit the shot. For flower shots and things like that I prefer a much longer lens but one solution with a 35mm could be to take the picture from a longer distance and crop it post capture to move away from the wider lens perspective and more towards a longer lens one if the shot would look better that way. This wont be an option if you want to end up with a very large final picture or want to crop massively into some small detail and still end up with a large picture but for screen use and even large prints (rather than very large ones) it's an option and something I do quite often with 35 and 50mm lenses.

Last edited:
Few from the R and 100-400 yesterday evening.

.... You did very well to capture your in flight shots. I use the same 100-400mm L II lens and I just am not getting on with handholding my EOS-R for wildlife action shots except when on a bigger lens on a tripod. I think it's because I use full Manual-mode and the Control Ring (for ISO) is too awkward for me to reach handheld and stay physically balanced with telephoto lenses.

Which mode have you shot your inflight images in please? Some settings info would be helpful too so that we can see what's possible. Are you on Flickr and with info there?

Canon have just announced the RF 24-240mm F/4-6.3 IS USM zoom but it's not a weatherproof L lens. However, it is a relatively low cost lens at about £900 retail (without lens hood!?).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=58&v=D_aO7YkvyVg

I really like the feature whereby the broad Manual Focus ring becomes the Control Ring at the flick of a switch as I find the narrow Control Ring awkward to find on my RF 24-105mm L.

I'm tempted to consider selling my RF 24-105mm and buying a RF 24-240mm.

Canon have just announced the RF 24-240mm F/4-6.3 IS USM zoom but it's not a weatherproof L lens. However, it is a relatively low cost lens at about £900 retail (without lens hood!?).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=58&v=D_aO7YkvyVg

I really like the feature whereby the broad Manual Focus ring becomes the Control Ring at the flick of a switch as I find the narrow Control Ring awkward to find on my RF 24-105mm L.

I'm tempted to consider selling my RF 24-105mm and buying a RF 24-240mm.

That lens alone might persuade many an on-the-fence enthusiast. The body doesn't need IBIS if a lens like this is what you might have stuck on 90% of the time.

.... You did very well to capture your in flight shots. I use the same 100-400mm L II lens and I just am not getting on with handholding my EOS-R for wildlife action shots except when on a bigger lens on a tripod. I think it's because I use full Manual-mode and the Control Ring (for ISO) is too awkward for me to reach handheld and stay physically balanced with telephoto lenses.

Which mode have you shot your inflight images in please? Some settings info would be helpful too so that we can see what's possible. Are you on Flickr and with info there?

Cheers. I'm only using the older 100-400 lens, I think its nearly 15 years old! I always leave it on Aperture Priority, with automatic ISO with minimum shutter speed of 1/1000; I used the focus and preview priority mode, so I could see in between shots. did struggle a bit with AF sometimes but overall was defineilty sufficient, and if it managed to work with peregrine's there is not much out there faster! It was in AF SERVO with the focus points auto selected in a large square; Not figured out how to do subject tracking yet! I need to set up my Flickr, so I can put the shots on there, will update you guys!

Guys, just a query on bags; I'm looking for something as compact as possible, solar I've beed advise the Billingham Hadley Pro is best but if there are some cheaper options that would be great.

I'm looking to squeeze in a Canon EOS R or RP, Canon 24-105, Canon 200mm 2.8 and 100-400 lens. I've got a lowepro that fits everything but the 100-400 in.. but what di you guys use? This will be the camera I take on days out too, so nothing that is 10 feet hight needed, as small as possible!

Any suggestions?

There is probably a better word for it, but its the option where you don't get the recored image shown on screen and have a live view inbettwen images. I forgot the correct name!
Is it just turning the preview off?
I think it's because I use full Manual-mode and the Control Ring (for ISO) is too awkward for me to reach handheld and stay physically balanced with telephoto lenses.
Could you use the M Fn button for ISO instead? I tend to use manual mode but with auto iso and then I use the M Fn button to dial in exposure compensation if I need it - or set ISO, and if I'm using the adapter with control ring, I can set exposure compensation there.

my camera is rocking the original firmware so need to do that update later today.
will upgrade the adapter to the one with the control ring as would like to use that for ISO control. also on the shopping list are batteries and screen protectors, flash and trigger.

my camera is rocking the original firmware so need to do that update later today.
will upgrade the adapter to the one with the control ring as would like to use that for ISO control. also on the shopping list are batteries and screen protectors, flash and trigger.
Don't buy any expensive R mount lenses as you will loose even more money when you sell this camera to get the Panasonic S1. Camera bingo.....it's a fools game! Hehe

Last edited:

Good point, I need to do the same! Does anyone think that the weird momentary "freeze" you get after you've finished a burst could be fixed in a firmware update? It's a little bit annoying!

Don't buy any expensive R mount lenses as you will loose even more money when you sell this camera to get the Panasonic S1. Camera bingo.....it's a fools game! Hehe

S1R. Get it right.

I always felt my 5Diii and EF24-105 were a good match. Is RF version an improvement?

.... All the reports I have read say that the RF 24-105mm is a sharper lens than the EF 24-105mm.

Could you use the M Fn button for ISO instead? I tend to use manual mode but with auto iso and then I use the M Fn button to dial in exposure compensation if I need it - or set ISO, and if I'm using the adapter with control ring, I can set exposure compensation there.

.... Thank you, that's a good idea I should try. But, I prefer that the physical controls consistently match each of my camera bodies.

I always felt my 5Diii and EF24-105 were a good match. Is RF version an improvement?

I'm using the EF 24-105 and personally... I'm very happy with it! EOS RP arrived this morning too, so looking forwarding to putting that through its paces this weekend to work out which one is going to MPB! Initially, really liking the size of the RP but I've only got it sat on my desk, not tried it out!

I had that combination, but have now moved on to the R and RF24-105. I still have the original 24-105 (it’s really my husbands!) and a 5Div. I haven’t tested side by side nor scrutinised the sharpness, but I just prefer the colours from the original 24-105 to the RF version.

I’ve used a colour passport to set up some profiles for the RF combination which has improved things, but I’ve never felt the need to do this previously.

I do love the look and the feel of the RF combination, I’m just a bit disappointed with the colours. I might try and test the difference properly.

I had that combination, but have now moved on to the R and RF24-105. I still have the original 24-105 (it’s really my husbands!) and a 5Div. I haven’t tested side by side nor scrutinised the sharpness, but I just prefer the colours from the original 24-105 to the RF version.

I’ve used a colour passport to set up some profiles for the RF combination which has improved things, but I’ve never felt the need to do this previously.

I do love the look and the feel of the RF combination, I’m just a bit disappointed with the colours. I might try and test the difference properly.

.... Surely any colour differences you are seeing are down to shooting on different bodies? 5D-4 + EF 24-105mm versus EOS-R + RF 24-105mm. I would check each body's White Balance settings and not necessarily leave it set to AWB (Auto).

I have just put my name on a reserved list for the new Canon RF 24-240mm F/4-6.3 IS when it is expected to be available in September.

Consequently I shall be selling my RF 24-105mm F/4L IS in September and am giving RF lens users here a heads-up to express their interest. Please note that I will only sell here after posting the full info plus pics in Talk Photography's Classifieds so that I adhere to the TP rules. Price would be £675 and only within mainland Britain.

My reason for sale is that although it's a higher spec RF L lens, the replacement non-L lens has more reach while remaining equally compact and so potentially suits my chosen subjects better.

EDIT : Also be aware that the RF 24-105mm Firmware has been updated.

Last edited:
.... Surely any colour differences you are seeing are down to shooting on different bodies? 5D-4 + EF 24-105mm versus EOS-R + RF 24-105mm. I would check each body's White Balance settings and not necessarily leave it set to AWB (Auto).
It could well be the combination - which is what was asked about. I need to put the original 24-105 on the R and do some proper testing. I have checked the colour space - both sRGB.

I've tried tweaking the white balance on the R, but went for a whole colour profile with the colour passport to try and get colours I liked. I was always happy with the colours from the 5Diii or 5Div and the 24-105.

EDIT : Also be aware that the RF 24-105mm Firmware has been updated.
I didn't know there had been an update - that might sort it!

Well I like the EOS R but the RP seems good enough for me, only thing I miss is the MFN bar! But... at nearly half the price I’m going to list the R to MPB I think!

I've noticed some quite bad dust spots on my sensor today which really surprises me given that the cover comes down when you turn it off and I've not had the camera very long. I've never noticed them on my 5Div without going looking for them. I can't see anything on the sensor and have tried a rocket blower and the in camera clean several times. Disappointing.

Trying out my R with a 100mm macro lens. Liking it and looking forward to trying out different settings.

.... Shooting insect close-ups with my Canon EF 100mm Macro lens is the reason why I bought an EOS-R. The Focus Peaking feature in Manual Focus is particularly helpful.

.... Shooting insect close-ups with my Canon EF 100mm Macro lens is the reason why I bought an EOS-R. The Focus Peaking feature in Manual Focus is particularly helpful.
Its amazing,i just rocked back and forward till the bit i wanted in focus turned red.

I tried out the combo of my EOS-R + EF 100-400mm L II + Kenko 1.4x today on insects in my wildlife garden. Usually my EF 100mm Macro lives on that combo and my Canon 1.4x III is mounted on my EF 500mm F/4L II + 1DX-2. Including the Kenko 1.4x saves me swopping around etc.

I'll post an example image in due course (I still have a huge backlog from my travels) but the point of posting now is to report my findings that such a combo works quite well and especially shooting MF with Focus Peaking enabled. I have the Canon battery grip fitted to my EOS-R and that makes a big different to the physical balance and handling when shooting.

The EVF with histogram etc displayed is perfect for insect photography and the fast burst rate which my 1DX-2 has is not critically needed.

Oh sh*t! 2020 is shaping up to be an expensive year! ....

https://www.canonrumors.co/confirmed-eos-r-pro-body-coming-ahead-of-tokyo-2020-olympics-games/

As anyone here will know who has taken any interest in which camera bodies I use (just two: EOS-R and 1DX-2), as the confirmed rumour of an EOS-R pro-body is reported to be a direct mirrorless equivalent of a D-SLR 1DX-3 (to be announced soon-ish?), it promises to be extremely attractive to me. I am attracted not because it would be the latest gear but because my familiarity and nearly everyday use of both the EOS-R and 1DX-2 have taught me what I like, don't like, and need from my cameras for my wildlife photography (I don't shoot anything else).

I don't need a new camera body but I am 72yo and consequently have realised at last that I am not immortal afterall and my years taking pictures are limited. So, why not!!?

I have exactly a year until 2020's Olympics date in July to think about it. Is anyone else here seriously interested in a forthcoming EOS-RX? (my guess of its name).

Last edited:
I've still got my RP and R, in the end I couldn't decide which I liked best and balanced it with cost... the R for features and VF, but the RP for its size!

Oh sh*t! 2020 is shaping up to be an expensive year! ....

https://www.canonrumors.co/confirmed-eos-r-pro-body-coming-ahead-of-tokyo-2020-olympics-games/

As anyone here will know who has taken any interest in which camera bodies I use (just two: EOS-R and 1DX-2), as the confirmed rumour of an EOS-R pro-body is reported to be a direct mirrorless equivalent of a D-SLR 1DX-3 (to be announced soon-ish?), it promises to be extremely attractive to me. I am attracted not because it would be the latest gear but because my familiarity and nearly everyday use of both the EOS-R and 1DX-2 have taught me what I like, don't like, and need from my cameras for my wildlife photography (I don't shoot anything else).

I don't need a new camera body but I am 72yo and consequently have realised at last that I am not immortal afterall and my years taking pictures are limited. So, why not!!?

I have exactly a year until 2020's Olympics date in July to think about it. Is anyone else here seriously interested in a forthcoming EOS-RX? (my guess of its name).

I am interested. I love my 5d4 but I do love the things that mirror less brings especially as I need reading glasses - so if I can see everything through the viewfinder without them, then that is a bonus. I also love the focus peaking.

I’d say spend your money and enjoy your hobby. It’s far better than drinking or gambling it away, in my view. You only have one life.

Back