Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Thanks. How your finding the 70-200?

Yeah it's really nice, my first and only native RF lens - not a fan of the rear cap needing to lineup to screw on, major step backwards from EF lens in that regard. But it was the weight was the main factor in me deciding to ditch my version II EF 70-200 as my plans for this year were to head to New Zealand in December, whether that'll still happened or not I don't know :(

Good morning, all. I am pondering buying a Canon 50mm f1.2 lens for a project I have started for use on my 5D4. Mindful of Canon's commitment to the mirrorless route, albeit somewhat delayed by the pandemic, I am interested in hearing whether anybody has used this lens on the EOS R and how it is performed. Thanks.

Good morning, all. I am pondering buying a Canon 50mm f1.2 lens for a project I have started for use on my 5D4. Mindful of Canon's commitment to the mirrorless route, albeit somewhat delayed by the pandemic, I am interested in hearing whether anybody has used this lens on the EOS R and how it is performed. Thanks.

Ive not used this combo but it should work like all other Canon EF lenses in terms of AF speed but with the added benefit of better accuracy.

Ive not used this combo but it should work like all other Canon EF lenses in terms of AF speed but with the added benefit of better accuracy.
I would have expected that but I watched a review yesterday comparing and there was a suggestion that it was slower, which seemed odd hence the question. The reviewer wasn't Northrup or Polin who seem a tad over the top. Northrup also tends not to compare like with like where 50s are concerned which is odd too.

I would have expected that but I watched a review yesterday comparing and there was a suggestion that it was slower, which seemed odd hence the question. The reviewer wasn't Northrup or Polin who seem a tad over the top. Northrup also tends not to compare like with like where 50s are concerned which is odd too.

I haven't used the 50 on the R or rp. I did own it and use it adapted on Sony bodies and it worked really well. I have no reason to believe this lens would struggle on either Canon body. The EF glass works brilliantly adapted, as does 3rd party glass. so I'd need to look into it more as to why this 50 wouldn't follow suit.

EOR R5 price estimated at a mind boggling 5.5K UKP. :(

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/...source=BANNED&utm_campaign=buffer_photoweektw

Regards...

EOR R5 price estimated at a mind boggling 5.5K UKP. :(

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/...source=BANNED&utm_campaign=buffer_photoweektw

Regards...

According to one Australian retailer...?

But I've always been a bit skeptical of the £3500 estimates, apparently based on previous 5D-series launch prices. What's that got to do with anything, other than wishful thinking? If this camera lives up to the hype then Canon can charge pretty much what they like and still sell every one they can produce, at least in the short-term, and in the current climate they probably need to make some fast money.

The R6 looks like it has the potential to be the bigger seller, so that's the one that must be keenly priced.

According to one Australian retailer...?

But I've always been a bit skeptical of the £3500 estimates, apparently based on previous 5D-series launch prices. What's that got to do with anything, other than wishful thinking? If this camera lives up to the hype then Canon can charge pretty much what they like and still sell every one they can produce, at least in the short-term, and in the current climate they probably need to make some fast money.

The R6 looks like it has the potential to be the bigger seller, so that's the one that must be keenly priced.

They did say estimated but I'm not going to be too surprised if the price turns out to be something like that. The mass market low end stuff that subsidised the high end stuff has gone away largely due to phones and I think we are beginning to see the true cost of these high end cameras. I don't expect them to get cheap(er) any time in the future.

I think all camera companies, all companies really, need to make some cash fast. Not so sure that highly priced stuff is the way to do it though.

Regards...

They did say estimated but I'm not going to be too surprised if the price turns out to be something like that. The mass market low end stuff that subsidised the high end stuff has gone away largely due to phones and I think we are beginning to see the true cost of these high end cameras. I don't expect them to get cheap(er) any time in the future.

Very true.

I think all camera companies, all companies really, need to make some cash fast. Not so sure that highly priced stuff is the way to do it though.

Regards...

Also agree. But the thing about the R5 is it's looking like the hottest camera Canon has had for a decade, or anyone else for that matter, and is likely to be in short supply regardless. They'd be mugs to sell themselves short - even if I hope they do ;)

The R5 won't be 5.5k. That's 1D price territory.

Canon have already said they see this having mass market appeal and at that price it won't appeal to anyone.

The R5 is the Mirrorless 5d equivelent, there are higher res versions coming out later in the year that will be 5ds/r equivalents that will be closer to 5.5k.

The R6 is the 6d equivalent.

Pricing will be along the same lines as each models SLR equivalent.

And the retailer has already come out and said they made the price up, it was just to get people to pay a deposit.

Hi everyone

Just in the process of selling off kit and moving over to the EOS R but have a few questions.

1. How many of you are using thirdparty batteries and what brands? I have found a bunch of old LPE6 batteries that will be a few years old and in unknown condition so will be buying others as well. I understand you cannot charge LPE6 batteries in the body but a third party charger is not a deal breaker.

I have removed the other questions and I now have one arriving later today

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi everyone

Just in the process of selling off kit and moving over to the EOS R but have a few questions.

1. How many of you are using thirdparty batteries and what brands? I have found a bunch of old LPE6 batteries that will be a few years old and in unknown condition so will be buying others as well. I understand you cannot charge LPE6 batteries in the body but a third party charger is not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance

You do get a charger with the R - presume it would be okay with 3rd party batteries, but don’t know for sure.

Edit: you probably have it by now and know already [emoji849][emoji4]

Last edited:
Hi everyone

Thanks in advance

I use homesuit for the rp. Work fine. Was under the impression usual 3rd party batteries would work fine in the R.

I'm wondering whether to buy an R or R5 when it comes out perhaps, just wondered if anyone has gone from an FF DSLR (5DmkIV) to the R and what your thoughts are?

I saw a video yesterday where the shadow recovery looked appalling on the R, even though its the same sensor in the 5DMkIV there was awful colour banding and noise.

What do you think to the ergonomics as well switching from a FF DSLR to an R or mirrorless ? I have big hands and the DSLR fit like a glove for me. Unfortunately I can't go and pick up a mirrorless to try one out.

I have both the 5Div and the R. It will depend on your needs, but I still find the 5Div superior for my purposes. I back button focus and the button on the R is set at a slight angle which I'm not keen on. I didn't think the slighter lower fps would bother me, but it does.

The R does have some very good points which I miss when I pick up the 5Div - the focus peaking for one, not to mention the size and weight. For macro the articulated screen is also great.

If your DSLR fits like a glove, then for now I would hang on.

I'm wondering whether to buy an R or R5 when it comes out perhaps, just wondered if anyone has gone from an FF DSLR (5DmkIV) to the R and what your thoughts are?

I saw a video yesterday where the shadow recovery looked appalling on the R, even though its the same sensor in the 5DMkIV there was awful colour banding and noise.

What do you think to the ergonomics as well switching from a FF DSLR to an R or mirrorless ? I have big hands and the DSLR fit like a glove for me. Unfortunately I can't go and pick up a mirrorless to try one out.

Perhaps consider looking at the RP? I did have an R for a while but couldn't really justify it, and ended up with now an RP. Quality wise I don't miss anything and I kind of prefer the ergonomics of it verser the R; I would say this and the Panasonic have incredible ergonomics. Given the big saving versus the R, could be worth going for and then in a year or so when the R5 is marked down a bit look at that? I highly doubt you'd be disappointed with the RP!

this chap was on a mission this morning, loading up as much pollen as possible. instantly made me think of guys trying to unload the entire weekly shop and carry the lot into the house without having to make a 2nd trip back to the car.

rf 35mm on RP.

loaded by Jonathan Howes, on Flickr

samyang 85mm f1.4 af announced

Sigma will likely also be jumping on the bandwagon soon no doubt, esp after Canon announcing its preference to RF. Its pretty cool the way Samyang releases new stuff / mounts all the time, shame about their QC but I guess it all comes at a cost. Still enjoying my RP and EF Arts. Ill likely get the 45 Samyang if/when it release as a cheap, light lens to sit between my 35/85.

Last edited:
Back