Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Agree with the others, would've been better with a Sony... Oh no wait, wrong topic and I lied, wonderful photo of your daughter mate. Get it printed.
Of course it would have been. With better colours too :D

Of course it would have been. With better colours too :D

Na, would've looked jaundice. :p

Sony skintones JK

images

Last edited:
What is up with flickr softening stuff.
I'm not sure if it's Flickr tbh but more TP, I've been complaining of this for ages. My images look really soft on here.

Thanks for the kind feedback on the black and white shot. Off camera flash isn't really my thing, but I finally got the trigger working with the camera.

@twist @snerkler yeah it's the forum that softens the images. Everything seems fine on flicker. The difference is like going from 720p to 4k

Fantastic image and made me smile, bought me back to my childhood many years ago, when I used to pick up my Dad’s camera gear with great interest, so thank you for sharin.

This AF just keeps on getting better and better, but I would like to see it tested with adapted EF glass. So hopefully that will happen in the near future.

Thanks :) . She's claimed the camera as her own. What EF glass have you got now?

Thanks :) . She's claimed the camera as her own. What EF glass have you got now?

Great that it runs in the family, but makes birthdays & Xmas extra expensive. My glass currently stands at

Canon 70-200 F2.8 II
Csnon 50mm F1.8 & F1.4
Canon 100mm 2.8L
Tamron 24-70 F2.8 G2
Tamron 100-400
Samyang 14mm F2.8 MF
Possibly a 85mm in the future.

Yeah I need to stop watching stuff showing this lens off
It's really good isn't it with that lens.
85mm is my most used prime. And that right there is the best one in class.
The temptation is hard to resist

I no longer have a Canon body (unless you count the M5) but still have

Canon 16-35mm f/4
Canon 24-105mm f/4
Canon 100mm f/2.8 L Macro
Canon mp-e 65mm f/2.8 macro
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 180mm f/3.5 DG EX HSM Macro
Sigma 150-600mm Sport
Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 (which I probably can't use)

I have recently bought a 400mm L f/5.6 USM and 1.4 MKII converter as I had one some years ago and it was excellent but I am hoping it may be more maneagable hendheld with the IBIS of the R5

It's really good isn't it with that lens.
85mm is my most used prime. And that right there is the best one in class.
The temptation is hard to resist

Resisting Temptation is one of the most difficult things if you have got the cash. I have cleared my credit card and as much as I want a mirrorless camera for zoos / wildlife parks and holidays. I am doing my best to resist buying the M6 MKII, as I know in my heart that I will get it & end up wanting to then get a Full Frame mirrorless. So now I am going to save like crazy and be as patient as possible (difficult when you are a gadget whore), and wait until I have the money for the R5. So that way if I want to do the odd bit of BIF, then I am able to thanks to the reasonable 17mp 1.6x crop mode, should I need that extra reach at Zoos & Nature reserves.

To think that the R5 is lighter than either my 5D or 7D, but has the power to have the ability of both in the single body is just nuts, but going to be worth every penny. Or get the R6 and treat myself to a lens that is longer than my 400mm, then that is also a possibility, either way it’s a exciting time to be a photographer, especially if you are already tied into the Canon system.

R5 studio test scene out on dpreview :banana:

I am on my phone :(
Could someone how awesome or not it is :p

Its bloody amazing!

Apparently not looking at one of the comments:

"Far behind of a7RIII, an slightly worse than 5 years old a7RII"
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...5&x=-0.15033002068014706&y=-1.049009884504482

On my phone I can barely see the difference in yours and his comparison. So I take both your work for it :D
I never shoot at 12800 anyway :p

Different tonal regions perform differently, the Rii in that post is definitely noisier. Riii appears better in black areas, but look at the lighter tones and the detail, the R5 performs better if youre shooting anything besides black. Check out the blotchy chroma noise and detail loss in the Sony file below.

Last edited:
Different tonal regions perform differently, the Rii in that post is definitely noisier. Riii appears better in black areas, but look at the lighter tones and the detail, the R5 performs better if youre shooting anything besides black. Check out the blotchy chroma noise and detail loss in the Sony file below.

I just need to know the dynamic range now at low ISOs and we'll be set.

Looks very good, when all are downsampled to the same size the R5 looks better than the Z7 and Panny DC S1R and a gnats worse than the A7RIV to my eyes. I really like the look of the R5, but Canon only have one native lens that suitable for me.

Screenshot 2020-07-26 at 15.56.40 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Looks very good, when all are downsampled to the same size the R5 looks better than the Z7 and Panny DC S1R and a gnats worse than the A7RIV to my eyes. I really like the look of the R5, but Canon only have one native lens that suitable for me.

Screenshot 2020-07-26 at 15.56.40 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Downsampled with real colour, like in real life... the R5 file has better detail retention, colour and less blotchy noise. The RIV looks a little soft? RAW baking?

d1.JPG

d2.JPG

Looks like youre selling off all your Sony gear?

Not all of it but bits I am not using much or would like to replace.
24-105 and 16-35 I am not using and probably won't for another 6 months at least. If I end up with canon down the line I might as well buy the RF versions. No point keeping them gathering dust at the moment.

Samyang 85/1.4 I'll replace with 85GM or EF 85/1.2. latter I can continue adapting and former is a great lens anyway.
I'll rebuy 24GM also a favourite of mine on Sony. Too bad RF doesn't have an equivalent yet.

After going through a lot of lenses in lockdown and "soul searching" I have figured I only really need 24mm and 85mm as far as primes go (in hindsight I should have never sold 24GM and 85GM but you live and learn!). Sony has best for former and canon for latter. But I use 85mm the most.

Last edited:
Not all of it but bits I am not using much or would like to replace.
24-105 and 16-35 I am not using and probably won't for another 6 months at least. If I end up with canon down the line I might as well buy the RF versions. No point keeping them gathering dust at the moment.

Samyang 85/1.4 I'll replace with 85GM or EF 85/1.2. latter I can continue adapting and former is a great lens anyway.
I'll rebuy 24GM also a favourite of mine on Sony. Too bad RF doesn't have an equivalent yet.

After going through a lot of lenses in lockdown and "soul searching" I have figured I only really need 24mm and 85mm as far as primes go. Sony has best for former and canon for latter. But I use 85mm the most.

Definitely been there! So glad I can get away with 2 lens luxury or 1 lens without any issue!

out of the R5 & R6, the R6 is realistically more in my price range. It is just unfortunate with the overheating issues on both R5 & R6, as I have had a number of models wanting videos done of them. While I am not currently into video, that could change if I get enough demand for it. So I hope that some form of fix is made for such a expensive body with a feature that isn’t fit for purpose.

out of the R5 & R6, the R6 is realistically more in my price range. It is just unfortunate with the overheating issues on both R5 & R6, as I have had a number of models wanting videos done of them. While I am not currently into video, that could change if I get enough demand for it. So I hope that some form of fix is made for such a expensive body with a feature that isn’t fit for purpose.

What are you going to be doing, recording them consistently for 20+ mins 8k or 40 mins 4k30 while you also take the photos? You'll also be looking at 20mins recording time at 8K on a 512GB CFexpress card thats a £600 memory card and then I hope you a have a very powerful computer to process those files. Those models better be paying you a LOT of money.

Last edited:
Luckily I could care less about video beyond some experiments. Most of my video gets done on my missus' Panasonic lx100ii or iPhone which has good enough 4k with no issues.

But this tweet seems to have set some forums on fire lol
View: https://mobile.BANNED/GeraldUndone/status/1287197307398692864?s=19

Back