Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Ah that makes sense. I'd never be able to hold a 600mm, but because you mentioned IS I thought you must be handholding.

Well I'm not sure if that's what you'd call it, but I've set the usual Af-On button to back button focus C-Af, and then I've set the * button to Eye-Af. I've set the third button up to change the shape/size of the focus points (jury still out on this one). I can use my thumb to quickly change between C-Af and Eye-Af. I've put the animal/people eye Af setting into my favourites menu so hopefully set that up beforehand. So far I'm loving this set up though I have accidentally changed the focus point shape a couple of times.

It's not too heavy to hold for short bursts. Good idea on use of the buttons, I may give that a try. I'm using the R5 for events and wildlife so it's pretty much always in continuous eye AF mode people/animal.

Didn’t know you could do that..........by third button do you mean the af point select button as in third button along....? Is it all under your standard set up or one of the custom set ups?
Yes, that's the one. I have also set the joystick to move the focus point and a press of it takes it to the middle. This is all my standard set up (and not the default set up), though it is still early days for me owning the camera. I am loving all this functionality.

I've currently set the DOF preview button to exposure lock, but that's not something I'll use often, so I hope I remember it when I need it :)

Edit: I haven't touched the custom modes at all yet though no doubt I will. Having the two focus modes means it's a doddle to switch say between a bird in flight and where you might want to pick one out of a flock wading.

Last edited:
That's impressive - handheld?

I've set mine up for the double back button focusing which works really well. I noticed an odd thing the other day. I focused on a squirrel about 20m away, then I switched to the bird feeder 10m away. It wouldn't focus with the ordinary C-Af, but it would when I used the eye Af, even though there were no birds on it. I was able to repeat it - it just wouldn't find the feeder with the ordinary C-Af. I know mirrorless can be odd - my R wouldn't focus on purely horizontal lines and I suspect the R5 is the same.
I can't live without the back buttons. I'm glad there's another button on the top front to change some specific settings quickly. There are buttons everywhere and I don't know how I don't think it's overwhelming, I love having them all in my thumb's reach while shooting.

I can't live without the back buttons. I'm glad there's another button on the top front to change some specific settings quickly. There are buttons everywhere and I don't know how I don't think it's overwhelming, I love having them all in my thumb's reach while shooting.

I think it’s just a case of setting up the camera so it works for you and your needs... and then remembering how you’ve set it [emoji16]

Yes, that's the one. I have also set the joystick to move the focus point and a press of it takes it to the middle. This is all my standard set up (and not the default set up), though it is still early days for me owning the camera. I am loving all this functionality.

I've currently set the DOF preview button to exposure lock, but that's not something I'll use often, so I hope I remember it when I need it :)

Edit: I haven't touched the custom modes at all yet though no doubt I will. Having the two focus modes means it's a doddle to switch say between a bird in flight and where you might want to pick one out of a flock wading.
I think I’ll try something similar....I suppose you can do without exposure lock as you can compensate with the control ring changing the iso? Only had mine a week and haven’t even set up back button focus which I nearly always used.......annoyingly though managed to move my single point focus by my nose hitting the touchscreen several times....the joystick would be preferable.......

I think I’ll try something similar....I suppose you can do without exposure lock as you can compensate with the control ring changing the iso? Only had mine a week and haven’t even set up back button focus which I nearly always used.......annoyingly though managed to move my single point focus by my nose hitting the touchscreen several times....the joystick would be preferable.......
There is so much that can be customised, it's not easy trying to decide on settings. I watched a YouTube video which suggested the double focusing buttons. I'm about a month in with the R5 now.

I've never really used the depth of field preview button, so I'm happy to use that if necessary for exposure lock.

I keep my screen turned in usually, although I think I did set some settings up for focus on it - can't remember now! I envisage I'll probably only use this for macro or if trying to shoot above my head.

As yet I haven't really used the control ring, but I have set it to change ISO when I hold the meter button down. I might change it to something else in time.

Here's a squirrel from the garden this morning - taken through glass and at ISO 8000 100-400 ii with 1.4 extender.

20201231-BCR_2818_3.jpg

Last edited:
I use the double focusing method, AF ON set to regular AF and the star set to Eye AF.
Me too! - Santa brought my R5 for Christmas (as the Missus promised ;) ), and I think I've now watched every Utube video about the R5 before I even step outdoors with the camera! This Eye AF is going to be great for birds in flight. What a marvellous piece of Canon engineering - I hope I can develop the skills to master it well using my range of EF lenses via the basic EF/RF mount adapter.

Russ

There is so much that can be customised, it's not easy trying to decide on settings. I watched a YouTube video which suggested the double focusing buttons. I'm about a month in with the R5 now.

I've never really used the depth of field preview button, so I'm happy to use that if necessary for exposure lock.

I keep my screen turned in usually, although I think I did set some settings up for focus on it - can't remember now! I envisage I'll probably only use this for macro or if trying to shoot above my head.

As yet I haven't really used the control ring, but I have set it to change ISO when I hold the meter button down. I might change it to something else in time.

Here's a squirrel from the garden this morning - taken through glass and at ISO 8000 100-400 ii with 1.4 extender.

View attachment 303834
Nice shot and thanks for sharing......( the shot & the info)........interested in how the ef lenses fare on the R5............I have a 200-400 f4 with the built in 1.4 extender.......wondering if I could get by with the RF 100-500...the size and weight saving would be great.........

Nice shot and thanks for sharing......( the shot & the info)........interested in how the ef lenses fare on the R5............I have a 200-400 f4 with the built in 1.4 extender.......wondering if I could get by with the RF 100-500...the size and weight saving would be great.........
Thanks. That is a lens I'd love to try although I wouldn't mind losing some weight, both the lens and me :ROFLMAO: so the RF 100-500 does look appealing.

@Rustydon enjoy your new toy :)

Switched from Fuji to a used EOS R from Wex just before Christmas and I must say I'm very pleasantly impressed. I bought it rather despite the reviews and it is a much better camera than the reviews suggest. I even find the hated multi-function bar very useable and no problem in day-to-day use. I've been able to customise the buttons and dials to exactly suit me. IQ is just lovely and the eye autofocus excellent. Even the wireless function works okay. I'm using it with the RF 50mm 1.8 and the pair are an amazing combo for the money. Cracking little lens. I'll ve looking to pick up an ef mount adapter if I see one second hand as I have some old canon ef lenses I could use as well. After a bit of a dodgy trip from Nikon to Fuji to Canon, I'm sticking with this one.

Switched from Fuji to a used EOS R from Wex just before Christmas and I must say I'm very pleasantly impressed. I bought it rather despite the reviews and it is a much better camera than the reviews suggest. I even find the hated multi-function bar very useable and no problem in day-to-day use. I've been able to customise the buttons and dials to exactly suit me. IQ is just lovely and the eye autofocus excellent. Even the wireless function works okay. I'm using it with the RF 50mm 1.8 and the pair are an amazing combo for the money. Cracking little lens. I'll ve looking to pick up an ef mount adapter if I see one second hand as I have some old canon ef lenses I could use as well. After a bit of a dodgy trip from Nikon to Fuji to Canon, I'm sticking with this one.

I had the R for a time and then gave up for the RP - but I really want to go back to the R! I miss the 4K with good AF and the better viewfinder.. it was a stunner. Me too regards the M-FN bar; Worked just fine for me! If anyone is interested in an RP shout me up!

I had the R for a time and then gave up for the RP - but I really want to go back to the R! I miss the 4K with good AF and the better viewfinder.. it was a stunner. Me too regards the M-FN bar; Worked just fine for me! If anyone is interested in an RP shout me up!
Very nearly went for an RP but when I saw I could get a used R for not much more I changed my mind. Very happy with the decision.

Last edited:
Me too! - Santa brought my R5 for Christmas (as the Missus promised ;) ), and I think I've now watched every Utube video about the R5 before I even step outdoors with the camera! This Eye AF is going to be great for birds in flight. What a marvellous piece of Canon engineering - I hope I can develop the skills to master it well using my range of EF lenses via the basic EF/RF mount adapter.

Russ
I had a walk around a lock nature reserve this morning, I took the R5 and the RF 100-500.
I was hoping to catch an owl hunting but I missed it today, got a few decent shots though, and managed to test the setup on some birds in flight at 500mm.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmTkAcJu

Last edited:
First time pointing the R5 skywards and a good opportunity to give the 800RF it's first outing. I also stuck the RF1.4 tcon on for good measure.
67 images combined in Registax. All shot at F16, ISO400, 1/250sec and 1120mm. Slight crop in post. 95% moon on 01/01/2021.

088A6619%20reg1-Edit%20ai-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

Gary

First time pointing the R5 skywards and a good opportunity to give the 800RF it's first outing. I also stuck the RF1.4 tcon on for good measure.
67 images combined in Registax. All shot at F16, ISO400, 1/250sec and 1120mm. Slight crop in post. 95% moon on 01/01/2021.

088A6619%20reg1-Edit%20ai-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

Gary
That's insane....did you find the flag? :)

Half a year in with the R5 and still loving it. It combines all the best bits of my 5D4, 7D2 and EOSR and improves on them all. It's definitely my most fun camera to use since I was using the 1DMk4. Not much aviation/motorsport at the back end of the year but plenty of landscape outings.
A few random shots from the back end of the year. Lots of multi shot panos.
Crummock
088A2698-Edit-2-XL.jpg

A stunning morning at Derwent water
088A3567-Pano-Edit-XL.jpg

The Borrowdale Mill
088A1775-XL.jpg

Mist rolling off Bassenthwaite down towards St John's in the Vale. Taken from the top of Low Rigg.
088A5297-Pano-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

Taken from the top of Barrow Fell and looking towards Derwent water.
088A4425-HDR-Pano-Edit-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

Gary

How much is the R going for these days secondhand ?

How much is the R going for these days secondhand ?
Around £1300 from MPB. I bought one from them just before Christmas when they had a short-term 10% reduction so mine was a little cheaper. And I agree with paulcamcas that it's much nicer than the initial reviews would have you believe!

What about the Canon RF 70-200L F4 ? i traded in my EF 70-200 because i thought the RF version was coming out soon but i saw a report that it wasnt now coming out till March, WTF canon.

I have ben disappointed with the Adobe colour profiles for the R5 in Lightroom CC (as yet Adobe have not introduced a camera-specific profile for the R5), so I followed @Hanley (Paul's) advice, and purchased an R5 colour profile ($15) from Color Fidelity and find their colours much more realistic from my limited experience so far.
Link: https://www.colorfidelity.com/

Russ

I have ben disappointed with the Adobe colour profiles for the R5 in Lightroom CC (as yet Adobe have not introduced a camera-specific profile for the R5), so I followed @Hanley (Paul's) advice, and purchased an R5 colour profile ($15) from Color Fidelity and find their colours much more realistic from my limited experience so far.
Link: https://www.colorfidelity.com/

Russ
Yep, I agree.
I did a comparison using Canon DPP4 and Colour Fidelity profile and they were almost identical, such an improvement over the awful mess of the Adobe profiles. :)

Glad it worked for you as well.

I didn’t like the colours from my R but am very happy with the R5. I now realise in the interim I switched from Lightroom to Photolab. I just did one shoot before I sold the R when I thought the colours were fine. I now realise reading these posts, it was probably the software I was using that made the difference!

Just got me an R5 and an 3LT Ellie bracket. Just wondered how people are dealing with the LCD when using an L bracket? Also anyone found a decent screen protector? Thanks for any replies

Just got me an R5 and an 3LT Ellie bracket. Just wondered how people are dealing with the LCD when using an L bracket? Also anyone found a decent screen protector? Thanks for any replies
There’s a bit of a knack to it but for low level shots you can extend the lcd and tilt upwards if that makes sense? So fold out twist 45 degrees then fold out fully and tilt......?

must say expertshield came highly recommended..... 2 screen filters plus ones for the top glass....good instructions too......around £10 ish....Amazon etc......very happy with mine.....

Fingers crossed this link works, as I’m replying via my phone :D

These were the ones I bought for when I got mine on Wednesday. Tempered glass, and include 2 of each for both top and rear screens.

Seem to be a real good fit too.

Bit of a fingerprint magnet it seems. But glass always is :)

EOS R5 Top + Screen Protector for... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08KXNC9RQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

OK. First daft question incoming:D

Besides using the Q menu, and customising a button specifically for it (as all of mine are being used for other options in daily use)
Can anyone share their methods of how they go about changing the drive modes please?

I’ve tried this method (linked below) on the canon site, and I can’t get it to work for love nor money...

My MFN button is still on its default setting. So I have no idea as to why I can’t get it to work?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I've just tried it on my R6 and it worked fine, checked the settings for the Mfn button, which I've not changed and it is set to dial function.

Back