Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Just seen price if that 85mm. Jesus Christ

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 Sport has just arrived, it's a thing of beauty, outstanding build quality.

Just back from taking the R6 to the basketball. I liked it with the 70-200; not so sure with the adapted lens. Will see how they process in the morning. It goes back tomorrow.
I'm interested to hear the difference. Was it the EF 70-200 f/2.8 adapted? Was it the performance or the end result you weren't so happy with?

I'm interested to hear the difference. Was it the EF 70-200 f/2.8 adapted? Was it the performance or the end result you weren't so happy with?
No; I had the R6 and the RF 70- 200 f2.8 Mk 2. It is also probably better than I was not having been able to shoot from the corner with my 1DX2 and the EF 2.8 ii version with my shoulder, I am not as familiar or practised at shooting from there. It was my 24-70ii that I wasn't comfortable with; it almost seemed to make the lens seem wider; I guess that wouldn't surprise me given that it's like an extension tube.

Lovely Looks like adapting these EF L lens are great. What mode did you use taking that image shutter mode?

thanks. shot in manual mode. turned on animal eye and tracked. didnt have long, just wanted to get some shots between calls so didnt try the electronic shutter.

No; I had the R6 and the RF 70- 200 f2.8 Mk 2. It is also probably better than I was not having been able to shoot from the corner with my 1DX2 and the EF 2.8 ii version with my shoulder, I am not as familiar or practised at shooting from there. It was my 24-70ii that I wasn't comfortable with; it almost seemed to make the lens seem wider; I guess that wouldn't surprise me given that it's like an extension tube.
Hmm that's an interesting thought. Just thinking aloud, but wouldn't that make it seem less wide if anything? I believe extension tubes bring the close focusing point closer, and affect the focusing at a distance, but I hadn't thought about the field of view.

I have that lens, so I might do a little experiment with my R5 and 5D4 to check the field of view.

Hmm that's an interesting thought. Just thinking aloud, but wouldn't that make it seem less wide if anything? I believe extension tubes bring the close focusing point closer, and affect the focusing at a distance, but I hadn't thought about the field of view.

I have that lens, so I might do a little experiment with my R5 and 5D4 to check the field of view.
O good. To be fair, I was a bit spacey juggling cameras and avoiding other photographers - so the lens may have been wider than I usually shoot with.

Last edited:
O good. To be fair, I was a bit spacey juggling cameras and avoiding other photographers - so the lens may have been wider than I usually shoot with.
To be honest I'm not about to change my lenses, but I am curious. It would be nice not to have to fiddle with adapters, but not worth the expense for me. I have two adapters (one with the control ring), so it's not really an issue.

My R5 and 24-105 F4 have arrived. Coming from Fuji after several years my finger muscle memory has a lot to relearn. Playing around with settings, watching YouTube for advice. is helping.

One thing I've not sussed yet... I have AF method people and tracking, eye AF set for people, AF operation Servo. I thought using these settings I would have the single blue focusing square > half-press shutter to lock on and then track. However, what's happening is the focus point appears to be anywhere on screen, not staying in the centre unless I move it back. Or my single focus square becomes several while it looks for a focus point.

Im sure it obvious but can anyone advise?

My R5 and 24-105 F4 have arrived. Coming from Fuji after several years my finger muscle memory has a lot to relearn. Playing around with settings, watching YouTube for advice. is helping.

One thing I've not sussed yet... I have AF method people and tracking, eye AF set for people, AF operation Servo. I thought using these settings I would have the single blue focusing square > half-press shutter to lock on and then track. However, what's happening is the focus point appears to be anywhere on screen, not staying in the centre unless I move it back. Or my single focus square becomes several while it looks for a focus point.

Have you turned continuous af off?

Had a little play with the R6 + 70-200 Sigma Sport, i'm really not into shooting birds but wanted to test the AF tracking, amazing performance, keeper rate is around 95% and i'm sure the oof shots were down to me not the equipment. I haven't even studied what the best OS settings are for the lens, just left it as it was straight out of the box.

Nothing exciting i'm afraid but make of them what you will, can't wait to start shooting people again.

R6__0203 by Pete Downham Photography, on Flickr

R6__0209 by Pete Downham Photography, on Flickr

R6__0289 by Pete Downham Photography, on Flickr

R6__0194 by Pete Downham Photography, on Flickr

R6__0310 by Pete Downham Photography, on Flickr

I don’t know if this is the problem I’m having as stated earlier and sorry if this sounds stupid! If I have the focus set to track faces and I’m taking a photograph of a building for instance as there are no faces to lock onto could that be why my focus points are at different points in my viewfinder and not central as they can’t find a face? If I move to single point AF no tracking its stays centre.

I never tracked with Fuji so this aspect is new to me!

I don’t know if this is the problem I’m having as stated earlier and sorry if this sounds stupid! If I have the focus set to track faces and I’m taking a photograph of a building for instance as there are no faces to lock onto could that be why my focus points are at different points in my viewfinder and not central as they can’t find a face? If I move to single point AF no tracking its stays centre.

It's not just that you have it set to face detect if you're in tracking mode then yes, you'll see lots of squares jumping around in tracking mode, just assign a button to change the AF mode.

It's not just that you have it set to face detect if you're in tracking mode then yes, you'll see lots of squares jumping around in tracking mode, just assign a button to change the AF mode.
Thank you. I’ll do just that so I should be able to go from tracking to spot focus at the assigned button. Must say the focus is lightning quick compared to my X-T4 and that was no slouch in single point. Lots of fun to be had. I’m trying to decide on my next lens and may bite the bullet and go for the 70-200 RF 2.8

Thank you. I’ll do just that so I should be able to go from tracking to spot focus at the assigned button. Must say the focus is lightning quick compared to my X-T4 and that was no slouch in single point. Lots of fun to be had. I’m trying to decide on my next lens and may bite the bullet and go for the 70-200 RF 2.8
It's certainly nice and compact but take a look at the Sigma Sport 70-200 2.8, if you don't mind the weight the build quality is fantastic and you'll save a fortune. Seems perfectly balanced on the R6 to me even without a grip.

Good review here;

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1T0FCEMebE

I think it depends what is in your frame. Have you got an eye in it? If it can't find an eye you may get many squares on the nearest thing and they could be anywhere in the frame. It will be looking for a face and if possible an eye.

With the AF method chosen (face detect), I press info to turn the eye recognition on (you also have to select people or animals as you know)

Edit: oops - didn't realise there were lots more posts after your one.

Last edited:
I think it depends what is in your frame. Have you got an eye in it? If it can't find an eye you may get many squares on the nearest thing and they could be anywhere in the frame. It will be looking for a face and if possible an eye.

With the AF method chosen (face detect), I press info to turn the eye recognition on (you also have to select people or animals as you know)

Edit: oops - didn't realise there were lots more posts after your one.
Thanks I appreciate all the replies. It took a lot to pull me away from Fuji. But I’m now on a steep learning curve!

It's certainly nice and compact but take a look at the Sigma Sport 70-200 2.8, if you don't mind the weight the build quality is fantastic and you'll save a fortune. Seems perfectly balanced on the R6 to me even without a grip.

Good review here;

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1T0FCEMebE
Yes, I have seen that but I can’t get hold of an adapter anywhere at present.

canon looks to retain the crown in early tests against the Sony a1

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwNRND2qVZU
I stopped watching these guys a while ago but this was a good video.
I'm amazed how well the R5 stands up to the A1, and beats it in most respects from what I could see.

I'm not sure who would realistically use 30fps all the time, you'd constantly have 1000s of images to cull.

One thing is clear to me though, the killer for Canon is the quality and speed of the RF glass.

I'm amazed how well the R5 stands up to the A1, and beats it in most respects from what I could see.

I'm not sure who would realistically use 30fps all the time, you'd constantly have 1000s of images to cull.

One thing is clear to me though, the killer for Canon is the quality and speed of the RF glass.
I haven't watched them before and I found it quite interesting. I would need a tripod for that Sony set up.

I'm having a similar issue.
With my R5 set in auto mode, eye af on and all the other tracking stuff enabled, the camera just splatters the screen with blue squares.
Even with a person in shot it most often puts a group of af points bottom right or mid left.
I find myself waving the camera around until it finally finds a head in the frame.

Reading what others say I must have missed a setting somewhere. That said, in full auto mode with eye/face/tracking enabled, I was hoping it would do what it says on the tin.

Very frustrating.

its the way its going to go for a while. really its a benefit to pro sports photographer who would make use of capturing that amount of frames. i guess canon will follow suite in the near future. all of a sudden everyone needs bird eye af.

the r5 is looking like great value for an all-rounder. will be interesting to see what a new fw update brings.

Just a quick thank you to all that have contributed to this thread. As a new R5 owner coming from Fuji there was quite a lot to set up in particular making use of the custom dials to set the camera up the way I like. Thanks to this thread I think I'm almost there and should be able to contribute some photographs soon.

With my R5 set in auto mode, eye af on and all the other tracking stuff enabled, the camera just splatters the screen with blue squares.
Even with a person in shot it most often puts a group of af points bottom right or mid left.
I find myself waving the camera around until it finally finds a head in the frame.

Reading what others say I must have missed a setting somewhere. That said, in full auto mode with eye/face/tracking enabled, I was hoping it would do what it says on the tin.

Very frustrating.

this is strange. the eye af should pick out the eye on a person or animal from some distance away. hopefully theres not a problem with the camera/lens

this is strange. the eye af should pick out the eye on a person or animal from some distance away. hopefully theres not a problem with the camera/lens
It's got to be my fault, the whole interweb says the face/eye tracking is brilliant.

I'm beginning to think macrame' is more my thing, or perhaps I should turn my hand to the wheel of the potter.

It's got to be my fault, the whole interweb says the face/eye tracking is brilliant.

I'm beginning to think macrame' is more my thing, or perhaps I should turn my hand to the wheel of the potter.
How is your AF setup?
I use single point, I use back button focus using AF-ON, I have the * button configured for EYE AF.
So I can put the spot on a subject then hit * and it activates EYE AF

Takes some practice but works like a charm

Very frustrating.
Tony, try following this guy's advice. I know it's mainly for bird in flight photos but it's great advice:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cbaoPeLbPI

Russ

Back