Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Edit: Ignore - I can see you said you have it set to detect people..
Yes I have those options enabled.

Maybe it's specific to the 85mm 1.2?
That said, I've not gotten on well with the R5 AF since I've owned it. Spot and single point AF never fails but tracking is something of a hit and miss affair.

Perhaps I'm expecting a little too much.

Do you have it set to detect people? I flick between that and animals depending on what I'm shooting. I don't use the other auto option.

Last edited:
I guess it's just me. I'm old and all this ne fangled tech is a bit confusing for.
I remember when toasters were easy to use.:thinking:
This is where back button focus really helps.

Make the following button customisations:

Go into the Orange menu.

Screen 3
Customise buttons

Joystick - change to 'Direct AF point selection' - this allows you to move the joystick to place the AF point on your subject
Shutter button - set to 'AE lock while button pressed' - this prevents the shutter button from focusing
AF-ON - set to 'Metering and AF Start' - for regular (non EYE AF focusing you'll press AF-ON to achieve and lock focus)
* - set to 'Eye Detection AF' - this will be used to focus using eye detection

Go into your red AF menu

Screen 1
AF operation - I would set this to 'Servo'
AF Method - set to Face + tracking
Subject to detect - People

Screen 3
I change my case settings to option 2

Screen 5
I think this may be one of the more important ones.

Initial servo point for tracking - if you have this set to 'Auto' then the camera searches for the best AF point over the entire AF area. Setting an initial Servo AF point “tells” the camera where to start searching, which speeds up the process.

If you select the second option 'AF point set for ...' then this lets you keep the same AF point even when you switch from Face Detection + Subject Tracking Priority mode to another AF mode.
screen.jpg

Changing these has been aa big improvement for me, especially the last one.

So as you go to take a shot, if needed, move the joystick to place the AF point on your subject, then press * for Eye AF and then take the shot.

As you’re in Servo mode you can keep your finger on * and take multiple shots.

Edit to say, I also made one further change, I customised my 'Depth of Field Preview' button at the front, you know the one we never use :) to 'Direct AF method selection'.
I then go into AF menu 4, 'Limit AF Methods' and only have options 1 and 3 selected, which is face+tracking and Single Point AF.

What this means, my AF-ON button is set to tracking, when I press it the camera will attempt to track a subject, if it struggles (and this is more when doing birds in flight) I can press the 'Depth of Field Preview button' which switches my AF-ON button to single point, I can then position the single focus point and take the shot, pressing the Depth of Field Preview button simply switches my AF-ON between tracking and single point. You can then also activate EYE-AF at any point in this process by pressing *.

It sounds confusing but once you've set it up and practiced with it then it just becomes second nature.

Last edited:
Initial servo point is what I'm missing (I think)
If this day of torturous work ever ends I'll give that a go.

R6 - I find using single point focus to get in the right area, if it is struggling, move with the joystick if needbe then switch to eye AF works well for me.

At the weekend I joined at talk at The Photography Show about setting up the R5 and R6. If I recall correctly (I could be wrong as I can't find an option to replay the presentation) the expert from Canon said that the single point focus was so accurate that it could be easily lost so he didn't recommend using that as the initial setting.

At the weekend I joined at talk at The Photography Show about setting up the R5 and R6. If I recall correctly (I could be wrong as I can't find an option to replay the presentation) the expert from Canon said that the single point focus was so accurate that it could be easily lost so he didn't recommend using that as the initial setting.
Not sure I'd agree with that, trying to focus on a bird in a tree a lot of the time it doesn't stay on the eye but moves to a branch, it may well be me, but I know I have had problems getting focus on the bird.

Hats off to Park Cameras. I traded in my EF version for a used RF 70-200 f2.8 and ordered a grip. They gave me 5% off. They didn't tell me that a free battery was available with the R6 grip - an offer that became apparent at the PhotoShow. I asked about it and was very chuffed to be able to still have my discount and get a free battery - and those new batteries are not cheap. :banana:

I hired a Sigma 150-600mm Sport (couldn't hire the contemporary) and a Canon RF 100-500mm to try to help me decide. I also wanted an EF 100-400mm but it was all getting to expensive to try... Unfortunately, the weather is poor here and I can't get beyond the garden today between rain storms...

My initial thoughts are as many say the Sigma is very heavy. I wouldn't want to carry it with me so I think a tripod or monopod is a must. I know the contemporary is lighter. However, the focus was slower than I expected, not very sharp and not always accurate and that was with stationary objects.

The Canon RF 100-500mm was a different beast. Lightning-fast focus never missed, razer sharp and a lot easier to handle. Not sure if I can justify the cost yet. I'm considering the EF 100-400mm as Ive heard its excellent too on the R5 and that's available used and would save me over £1000. Decisions...

I know we all like photos to demonstrate what I have said and Ill find a couple later.

I hired a Sigma 150-600mm Sport (couldn't hire the contemporary) and a Canon RF 100-500mm to try to help me decide. I also wanted an EF 100-400mm but it was all getting to expensive to try... Unfortunately, the weather is poor here and I can't get beyond the garden today between rain storms...

I have the 150-600mm sport and carry it around without a tripod ok, it's a heavy beast but manageable. I have the R5 coming Friday on loan for the weekend, hoping for a couple of decent days (not like today) so I can try them out along with the 100-400mm MKII and 400mm f/5.6.

I have the 150-600mm sport and carry it around without a tripod ok, it's a heavy beast but manageable. I have the R5 coming Friday on loan for the weekend, hoping for a couple of decent days (not like today) so I can try them out along with the 100-400mm MKII and 400mm f/5.6.
It might be worth checking that you don't need to do a firmware update on your lens before you try it out - although I realise you're trying the Canon lenses too.

A friend borrowed my R5 to try with his Sigma lens and was disappointed. I asked about updates and sure enough there was a firmware update for his lens. We haven't had chance to try again due to lockdown but he was fairly confident that that had been the trouble.

My R6 arrived today. Just opened it to find that the battery charger is a US one and the adapter provider doesn't work. Anybody else find this?

My R6 arrived today. Just opened it to find that the battery charger is a US one and the adapter provider doesn't work. Anybody else find this?
Oh no! I bought my R5 from Panamoz, and have a UK charger I believe, although I haven't scrutinised it - it works anyway.

I would think that that's unusual from Panamoz. I also got a UK plug etc

It might be worth checking that you don't need to do a firmware update on your lens before you try it out - although I realise you're trying the Canon lenses too.

A friend borrowed my R5 to try with his Sigma lens and was disappointed. I asked about updates and sure enough there was a firmware update for his lens. We haven't had chance to try again due to lockdown but he was fairly confident that that had been the trouble.

I have the dock and the firmware is up to date although I have read that the Sigma 500mm F/4 sport (which I had up until recently although in Nikon mount) focuses very slowly on the R5/R6. Had a phone call from them about 30 mins ago and they are delivering it a day early as it isn't booked out which means I get it for an extra 24 hours ... which would be great if the weather wasn't so bad.

Oh no! I bought my R5 from Panamoz, and have a UK charger I believe, although I haven't scrutinised it - it works anyway.
I rang HDEW who are going to send me another adapter plug. He said if that didn't work I will have to send the whole thing back in. I have bought one from ebay. I have no intention of faffing about sending it back. First time I have had an issue with anything from them.

My initial thoughts are as many say the Sigma is very heavy. I wouldn't want to carry it with me so I think a tripod or monopod is a must. I know the contemporary is lighter. However, the focus was slower than I expected, not very sharp and not always accurate and that was with stationary objects.

The Canon RF 100-500mm was a different beast. Lightning-fast focus never missed, razer sharp and a lot easier to handle. Not sure if I can justify the cost yet. I'm considering the EF 100-400mm as Ive heard its excellent too on the R5 and that's available used and would save me over £1000. Decisions...

I know we all like photos to demonstrate what I have said and Ill find a couple later.
I had the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary with my 5D Mark IV and found it very heavy, image quality was okay but it never blew me away.
Now I have the RF 100-500mm and it's stunning, light, compact (ish) and image quality is superb. Auto focus is so quick you don't even see it happening. :)

Expensive yes, and I was on the fence for a while because of the cost, in the end I spotted Panamoz had stock so took the plunge and haven't regretted the purchase once.

Now I have the RF 100-500mm and it's stunning, light, compact (ish) and image quality is superb. Auto focus is so quick you don't even see it happening. :)

Expensive yes, and I was on the fence for a while because of the cost, in the end I spotted Panamoz had stock so took the plunge and haven't regretted the purchase once.
I wish you'd stop mentioning this 100-500 :LOL: I am perfectly happy with my EF 100-400ii but I would like that extra little bit of length and I believe it's a little lighter too.
Lovely shots of the cathedral.

I wish you'd stop mentioning this 100-500 :LOL: I am perfectly happy with my EF 100-400ii but I would like that extra little bit of length and I believe it's a little lighter too.
Lovely shots of the cathedral.
As mentioned earlier I hired the RF 100-500mm yesterday. It's a stunning lens and a nice walk-about weight. However, as I have already ruled out the Sigma 150-600mm I would be interested to hear your view on the EF 100-400mm ii. That's the only other lens on my shortlist I've not tried yet. As it's £1000 cheaper on the used market its a temptation.

Regarding the focal length difference between the RF and EF of 100mm. i have moved the focal length between 400mm and 500mm today and for me, I think 400mm could be worth the £1000 saving instead of the RF if all other points (focus speed, eye AF, etc) are the same.

Taken with the hired RF 100-500mm today is very high winds and showers... Sorry they are not vey exciting but the subject matter is limited in these conditions...
51025516761_250e3fd6da_k.jpg51025516446_606caec7a9_k.jpg

As mentioned earlier I hired the RF 100-500mm yesterday. It's a stunning lens and a nice walk-about weight. However, as I have already ruled out the Sigma 150-600mm I would be interested to hear your view on the EF 100-400mm ii. That's the only other lens on my shortlist I've not tried yet. As it's £1000 cheaper on the used market its a temptation.

Regarding the focal length difference between the RF and EF of 100mm. i have moved the focal length between 400mm and 500mm today and for me, I think 400mm could be worth the £1000 saving instead of the RF if all other points (focus speed, eye AF, etc) are the same.
- you may be interested in this guy's views;
- and this Youtube video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yem0FAF8g4

Last edited:
- you may be interested in this guy's views;
- and this Youtube video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yem0FAF8g4
Thanks for the link. Its a helpful read.

I would be interested to hear your view on the EF 100-400mm ii. That's the only other lens on my shortlist I've not tried yet. As it's £1000 cheaper on the used market its a temptation.
I've been very happy with it.

Reading that article it does sound like the 100-500 may be even better, but I am perfectly happy with the sharpness of my images and how quickly it focuses. It's just I like the idea of a little extra reach and it being a little more compact and light. I can't really justify changing it, but I would quite like to try the RF 100-500.

Well, very disappointed this morning. After waiting for the correct charger - I was told not to unbox further as it might have to go back - I charged my batteries yesterday and, full of enthusiasm, I loaded the battery into the camera body [R6], briefly alive and then dead. Swapped batteries. Checked both batteries. Put both batteries into my 5D4 body without issue and noothing. So I wonder if this is a record for an 'R" camera failure: 1 second? Had I not already acquired the 70-200f2.8, I might be throwing my toys right out oof the pram right now. :oops: :$

Well, very disappointed this morning. After waiting for the correct charger - I was told not to unbox further as it might have to go back - I charged my batteries yesterday and, full of enthusiasm, I loaded the battery into the camera body [R6], briefly alive and then dead. Swapped batteries. Checked both batteries. Put both batteries into my 5D4 body without issue and noothing. So I wonder if this is a record for an 'R" camera failure: 1 second? Had I not already acquired the 70-200f2.8, I might be throwing my toys right out oof the pram right now. :oops: :$
Wow that's not good mate.
If that were me the whole lot would go back and I'd buy it from somewhere else. Sorry to hear that :(

Wow that's not good mate.
If that were me the whole lot would go back and I'd buy it from somewhere else. Sorry to hear that :(
Well, I had a good deal and they are doing their best to fix it - collecting it from me tomorrow, hopefully a replacement within the week. I need it for next Friday so zero chance of any muscle memory being developed. Ah well. There you go. It also means, I just realise, that I still won't be able to test the lens that I bought and the clock is ticking on that one. Imagine a few choice words right now.

Last edited:
That is really disappointing and very odd! Keep us posted.

Well, I had a good deal and they are doing their best to fix it - collecting it from me tomorrow, hopefully a replacement within the week. I need it for next Friday so zero chance of any muscle memory being developed. Ah well. There you go. It also means, I just realise, that I still won't be able to test the lens that I bought and the clock is ticking on that one. Imagine a few choice words right now.
Edit: I have told Park Cameras that I still can't test the lens and they have noted it on their system. Hey ho.

Return it and re-order from Panamoz, something clearly very wrong here, the charger would have been a red flag for me, Panamoz is the way to go.

Back