Canon EOS R Series Cameras

For any of you using the 135 f2 on either the R5 or R6.
Do you find the IBIS goes into overdrive when you’re using it?

I mounted mine on my R5 for the first time about half hour ago, and had to double check to make sure I hadn’t put the 100mm macro on instead :D

It’s clearly the IBIS making the noise, as the lens itself obviously doesn’t have IS built in.

Not tried but will have a go.

However I do notice that the rf 70-200 I have on test drive right now is noisy though. The IS in the lens itself is pretty noisy, then the lens hood rattles a little and the finger slot in the lens hood rattles even more. Whereas the rf 24-70 is virtually silent. Not sure which is typical!

Not tried but will have a go.

However I do notice that the rf 70-200 I have on test drive right now is noisy though. The IS in the lens itself is pretty noisy, then the lens hood rattles a little and the finger slot in the lens hood rattles even more. Whereas the rf 24-70 is virtually silent. Not sure which is typical!

Thanks very much.

It’s definitely the IBIS that’s noisier when using it, and haven’t noticed it with any of my other non IS lenses.

Maybe it’s the age and design of the lens itself.

I take it there is no way at all to turn off the auto 1.6x crop that is applied to images on the R when shooting with an EFS lens? Got the efs 10-18 and it auto crops.. even if I don’t want it! ☹️

I take it there is no way at all to turn off the auto 1.6x crop that is applied to images on the R when shooting with an EFS lens? Got the efs 10-18 and it auto crops.. even if I don’t want it! ☹️

I’m pretty sure, what with the way it works, you’d get some nice heavy vignetting if it didn’t automatically crop :)

Just tried my own 135 on the R6 and all is absolutely fine.

Damn fine lens too!

Thanks very much for checking, most appreciated!

That’s a strange one then.
I’ll have to try some of my other EF lenses to see if they act the same. As all but 2 of my whole lens collection are non IS.

It wasn’t noticeable enough when using it outdoors, just when in a quiet indoor environment while it was up close to my face. And it’s definitely the IBIS, as it stopped the noise when I tried switching it off in the menu.

Either way, it’s not the end of the world. Probably just means it’ll use more battery.

One trade off I don’t mind for the results it brings :D

Sorted now I had to put the r5 into mechanical setting for it to work it will not fire in silent mode the external Canon Macro Twin lite Mt -24 ex
Bloody Canon and their silent mode.

They assume that if you don’t want to make a noise, you’ll not want to startle the subject with flash either.

it’s annoying for those of us who always keep their cameras running quietly but sometimes step into a studio.

So having mainly used first curtain mechanical shutter and not strayed far from this is it fair to say this is the best option for flash due to the 1/250 potential flash sync speed? Just wondered what other people’s views are on when to use electronic or just mechanical apart from the obvious FPS difference and issues with fast moving subjects in electronic.

Also couldn’t find this to confirm but is first curtain mechanical max rate 12 FPS as per using just mechanical...?

So having mainly used first curtain mechanical shutter and not strayed far from this is it fair to say this is the best option for flash due to the 1/250 potential flash sync speed? Just wondered what other people’s views are on when to use electronic or just mechanical apart from the obvious FPS difference and issues with fast moving subjects in electronic.

Also couldn’t find this to confirm but is first curtain mechanical max rate 12 FPS as per using just mechanical...?

I think if you read the posts above you’ll realise the flash won’t fire at all with electronic shutter. Try it.

Olympus was the same and caught me out.... wrecked a nights photos as I couldn’t work out the problem. I later discovered there was a menu item to enable it on my camera - may have been a firmware update.

I think if you read the posts above you’ll realise the flash won’t fire at all with electronic shutter. Try it.

Olympus was the same and caught me out.... wrecked a nights photos as I couldn’t work out the problem. I later discovered there was a menu item to enable it on my camera - may have been a firmware update.

Thanks Bebop ......didn't know before but figured the flash thing out from the previous posts.....when I went mirrorless for some reason ( possibly a post somewhere) I kind of defaulted to using 1st curtain mechanical........so now I’m wondering in what sort of conditions people are using each shutter mode....?

From what I’m reading some of the main situations are-
mechanical- fast moving subjects
1st curtain mechanical- flash/ high sync speeds
electronic - stationary / medium movement subjects & situations you need silent shutter such as weddings.( but no flash ).

would be useful to learn what others are doing ......for example I saw on another forum how someone used electronic shutter for BIF to generate creative effects with the wing movement.......

Thanks Bebop ......didn't know before but figured the flash thing out from the previous posts.....when I went mirrorless for some reason ( possibly a post somewhere) I kind of defaulted to using 1st curtain mechanical........so now I’m wondering in what sort of conditions people are using each shutter mode....?

From what I’m reading some of the main situations are-
mechanical- fast moving subjects
1st curtain mechanical- flash/ high sync speeds
electronic - stationary / medium movement subjects & situations you need silent shutter such as weddings.( but no flash ).

would be useful to learn what others are doing ......for example I saw on another forum how someone used electronic shutter for BIF to generate creative effects with the wing movement.......

Ah I see, you didn’t mean just for flash, sorry I misunderstood.

I’m still experimenting. So far I’ve used electronic for birds purely because of the noise.

I left it on that when shooting model boats this week and ended up with hundreds of shots [emoji849] I won’t do that again.

I think if there is any chance of unwanted rolling shutter, mechanical is probably best. Also for gig photography I think electronic will be a problem with banding under lights. I’m looking forward to trying it at gigs when we get some live music back. Quiet would be preferable really.

Thanks Bebop............Yes never had to think about this before......Can I ask if the bird photos were ok banding wise? Sounds like they were which is great...! I Had avoided electronic shutter for BIF for this very reason...........Hoping to get some surf shots post 12th so can have a play then..........

Thanks Bebop............Yes never had to think about this before......Can I ask if the bird photos were ok banding wise? Sounds like they were which is great...! I Had avoided electronic shutter for BIF for this very reason...........Hoping to get some surf shots post 12th so can have a play then..........
I could be wrong, but I don't think banding will be a problem for birds in flight as the light doesn't vary like it might at a gig where artificial lights vary over the time that the image is 'scanned' onto the sensor.

Here's a kestrel I took this week with electronic shutter - probably needs brightening a little. This is a massive crop. Perhaps rolling shutter could distort the image. I haven't noticed yet, but I guess it could. (Edit- discovered this was taken on my Olympus not my Canon, but it is using electronic shutter)

20210329-BC130234_1.jpg

You've given me food for thought though. I took some surfing shots recently, and I feel the spray looks a little odd on a few of them. I'm now wondering if it was because I was on electronic shutter - can't remember if I was. I wasn't sure if it was my processing as I have moved to Photolab from Lightroom and am still learning how to get the best out of it. Removing some of the fine contrast helped, but I still feel the spray looks odd. I think I shared this before...

20210228-BCR_3871_1_DxO.jpg

Keep us posted if you learn more.

Edit: Here is some good bedtime reading (to send you off to sleep :D ) It seems to cover a lot regarding electronic v mechanical shutter.
https://photographylife.com/mechanical-electronic-shutter-efcs

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I don't think banding will be a problem for birds in flight as the light doesn't vary like it might at a gig where artificial lights vary over the time that the image is 'scanned' onto the sensor.

Here's a kestrel I took this week with electronic shutter - probably needs brightening a little. This is a massive crop. Perhaps rolling shutter could distort the image. I haven't noticed yet, but I guess it could.

View attachment 314444

You've given me food for thought though. I took some surfing shots recently, and I feel the spray looks a little odd on a few of them. I'm now wondering if it was because I was on electronic shutter - can't remember if I was. I wasn't sure if it was my processing as I have moved to Photolab from Lightroom and am still learning how to get the best out of it. Removing some of the fine contrast helped, but I still feel the spray looks odd. I think I shared this before...

View attachment 314445

Keep us posted if you learn more.

Edit: Here is some good bedtime reading (to send you off to sleep :D ) It seems to cover a lot regarding electronic v mechanical shutter.
https://photographylife.com/mechanical-electronic-shutter-efcs

thanks again for taking the trouble it’s a good article to put some perspective on shutter use.......I’ve never looked but wonder if the shutter type is in the metadata somewhere?

I tend not to go much faster than 1/2000 shutter speed and it reads as though that should be ok, but look at that fan in the article.....that’s something else........

The Kestrel pic looks pin sharp and no signs of distortion or banding........your hands are steadier than mine...........I’m not sure on the surf shot if I’m seeing a sort of banding from the front of the board downwards and all the way up at the rear of the board but that could be the light/ shadows or compression? Your lucky to have something so close....where’s the spot......?

plenty to think about...... :cool:

thanks again for taking the trouble it’s a good article to put some perspective on shutter use.......I’ve never looked but wonder if the shutter type is in the metadata somewhere?

I tend not to go much faster than 1/2000 shutter speed and it reads as though that should be ok, but look at that fan in the article.....that’s something else........

The Kestrel pic looks pin sharp and no signs of distortion or banding........your hands are steadier than mine...........I’m not sure on the surf shot if I’m seeing a sort of banding from the front of the board downwards and all the way up at the rear of the board but that could be the light/ shadows or compression? Your lucky to have something so close....where’s the spot......?

plenty to think about...... :cool:
I just went to look at the exif and discovered the kestrel was taken with my Olympus not my Canon - oops!! It was on electronic shutter though. Kestrel was 1/2500s.

The surfer is definitely the R5. I couldn't find the shutter in the EXIF. I did look. I don't think there is any banding in it, but the water droplets just look a bit odd - hard to describe. A bit granular. This was on the Isle of Wight within a long walk from my house and I was actually out looking for birds when I spotted the surf.

Not a massive poster on here, but I am super excited the my R5 arrives today :) I have shot Conon just about exclusively for the digital age, sold my 5D MKiii and lenses this time last year and switched to Fuji, that didn't go so well, the system just didn't fit. Cant really pin it down just never got comfortable with it, but I do love how it looks. I will miss that for sure.

Hey - Ho you cant take it with you eh! Has UPS arrived yet?

@Canon brook Today I went out hoping to see one of the white tailed sea eagles - once more disappointed, but I tried out the electronic shutter on birds in flight. (If I'd seen the eagle I might have quickly changed to mechanical just in case! ).

I was shooting at 1/2000s or 1/2500s, and the birds I was photographing were gulls mostly, or corvids with the odd oyster catcher or duck. Perhaps with birds that flap their wings more quickly it would be a problem, but I could see no distortion due to rolling shutter today.

Not great pics, but just an example... and yes there is a touch of blown highlights.
20210406-BCR_7395.jpg 20210406-BCR_7389_1.jpg 20210406-BCR_7558_1.jpg

Last edited:
Not a massive poster on here, but I am super excited the my R5 arrives today :) I have shot Conon just about exclusively for the digital age, sold my 5D MKiii and lenses this time last year and switched to Fuji, that didn't go so well, the system just didn't fit. Cant really pin it down just never got comfortable with it, but I do love how it looks. I will miss that for sure.

Hey - Ho you cant take it with you eh! Has UPS arrived yet?

Got my R5 over a week ago inc 1.4 ext and CF card, But the Lens I ordered the RF 100-500 is on back order and apparently there is huge demand for it and I don’t know where I am on the list! Can’t find anywhere the Lens is available it seems I will have to wait at least another week or two? so frustratingly I can’t use the Camera so chomping at the bit at the mo.

Got my R5 over a week ago inc 1.4 ext and CF card, But the Lens I ordered the RF 100-500 is on back order and apparently there is huge demand for it and I don’t know where I am on the list! Can’t find anywhere the Lens is available it seems I will have to wait at least another week or two? so frustratingly I can’t use the Camera so chomping at the bit at the mo.

And there was me getting impatient waiting for the battery to charge

@Canon brook Today I went out hoping to see one of the white tailed sea eagles - once more disappointed, but I tried out the electronic shutter on birds in flight. (If I'd seen the eagle I might have quickly changed to mechanical just in case! ).

I was shooting at 1/2000s or 1/2500s, and the birds I was photographing were gulls mostly, or corvids with the odd oyster catcher or duck. Perhaps with birds that flap their wings more quickly it would be a problem, but I could see no distortion due to rolling shutter today.

Not great pics, but just an example... and yes there is a touch of blown highlights.
View attachment 314650 View attachment 314648 View attachment 314649

Thanks Bebop looks good to me......I’ve changed all my custom settings to mechanical from 1st curtain but think I will go back into the menu and change to electronic and see how it goes.....it’s a lot of culling at 20 FPS but if you end up with the keeper you want so much the better.......

Hoping to get out and about next week just need the surf forecast to be good...... :cool:

Thanks Bebop looks good to me......I’ve changed all my custom settings to mechanical from 1st curtain but think I will go back into the menu and change to electronic and see how it goes.....it’s a lot of culling at 20 FPS but if you end up with the keeper you want so much the better.......

Hoping to get out and about next week just need the surf forecast to be good...... :cool:
I'm planning on sticking to mechanical unless I need to be stealth like.

Edit: I've just had another thought. Perhaps any distortion would be most likely when the bird fills the frame rather than being small in the frame since any movement would be over a greater area of the sensor. All my examples were crops, the first two about 50% and the other about 20% of original frame. I'll try not to think about it anymore :LOL:

Last edited:
I'm planning on sticking to mechanical unless I need to be stealth like.

Edit: I've just had another thought. Perhaps any distortion would be most likely when the bird fills the frame rather than being small in the frame since any movement would be over a greater area of the sensor. All my examples were crops, the first two about 50% and the other about 20% of original frame. I'll try not to think about it anymore :LOL:
I could do with a ceiling fan like the one in the link you posted to do some testing......mmmh thinking now do I stay mechanical.......... :)

Ceiling fan as in this one......

8166C4B6-8C83-4EAF-A943-36509F955A18.jpeg

Last edited:
I could do with a ceiling fan like the one in the link you posted to do some testing......mmmh thinking now do I stay mechanical.......... :)

Ceiling fan as in this one......

View attachment 314660
From other forums I have seen rolling shutter only appears to be an issue for bird photography with hummingbird, occasionally wing tips and buildings with identifiable straight lines.

The ceiling fan pictures look horrendous but unless you take lots of pictures of ceiling fans I don't expect it to be that much of an issue

Does anyone know if you can record video directly to a laptop via Eos utility or equivalent? Thanks.
Can you use the webcam utility and record the stream that creates? I am not familiar with the utility but does it make your computer see the camera as a regular webcam? If so you can open up the Windows (or other OS) Camera App and record from there.

Can you use the webcam utility and record the stream that creates? I am not familiar with the utility but does it make your computer see the camera as a regular webcam? If so you can open up the Windows (or other OS) Camera App and record from there.
according to canon, not with their webcam software, webcam utility

Does anyone know if you can record video directly to a laptop via Eos utility or equivalent? Thanks.
So my solution does work...ish. Using the webcam utility Windows sees my R6 as a generic webcam so I can use the Camera App to record video from the camera.

What's the catch? There are absolutely no quality settings available and the only selection I have is 720p. So yes I can record straight to my PC and even though the recorded resolution is lower it is definitely much better than my webcam. However, it doesn't look like you can make the most out of your camera doing this.

So my solution does work...ish. Using the webcam utility Windows sees my R6 as a generic webcam so I can use the Camera App to record video from the camera.

What's the catch? There are absolutely no quality settings available and the only selection I have is 720p. So yes I can record straight to my PC and even though the recorded resolution is lower it is definitely much better than my webcam. However, it doesn't look like you can make the most out of your camera doing this.
Thanks. I tried looking at something like this but as I'm on my Mac it's more tied down to what can use the camera. Shame really.

On a side note, still waiting on my 28-70 f2, a month waiting and no sign of delivery yet lol.

Thanks. I tried looking at something like this but as I'm on my Mac it's more tied down to what can use the camera. Shame really.

On a side note, still waiting on my 28-70 f2, a month waiting and no sign of delivery yet lol.
There is the webcam utility for Mac as well in the link above. I presume there is something similar on Mac (a brief search suggests QuickTime player and photo booth both do it)? I would get my MacBook out to try it but it's old and slow. However, even if you can't record the webcam stream what you could do is open up Facetime and do a screen recording and record the computer audio. There are various YouTube videos on how to do that

Can anyone recommend a cheap autofocusing EF-R adapter for my EF 70-300 IS on my R6? By the time there is any stock of the Canon adapter the rumoured 100-400 lens will probably have appeared anyway and I will be looking to move on my 70-300 so I might as well just get something cheap. They all seem much of a muchness so I'd probably just go for the cheapest one which looks to be Viltrox?

Edit: I don't even know if there are manual focus only adapters anyway?

So I've been back on the Canon test drive website :ROFLMAO:

RF 800mm
RF 85mm F2 (I was going to buy the 1.2L but this isn't a focal length I use too much so would like to see how the F2 version is as it's so much cheaper but reviews are very good)
RF 1.4TC - see how it works with the 800mm and with my RF 100-500

No charge for the lens hire and because I've ordered them over the Bank Holiday weekend they will deliver them on Friday 28th May and collect them on Tuesday 1st June, hopefully the weather will be good that weekend :)

I need to pay a refundable deposit of £498
Screenshot 2021-04-09 at 15.53.02.png

Back