Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
Looks like I'll be joining the Canon camp with a R6 on it's way next week. Really keen to see if it will help my wildlife action photos. Any recommendations on a lens to replace my Nikon 300mm f/4 IF ED. I've been really impressed by the IQ on this lens but the AF speed sucks, particularly on the Nikon Z6. With the Canon 300mm f/4 being quite an old lens, do you think it would perform better on the R6, than my current combo. For example BIF - my current combo will not keep up in terms of AF aquirement. Any impressive wildlife photos welcome :)

ZSC_1611 1 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Last edited:
Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I don’t have a lot of canon lenses but not the canon 300 f4. All the lenses AF performs very well if not better with the canon R series. For birds in flight it’s much easier now you only need to get the bird somewhere in the frame and the AF does the rest...that maybe a small exaggeration but not much.

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
I managed to get the loan of a friends 70-200mm and got these photos with my newly acquired R6 this afternoon. Loving the Eye AF capabilities. Still a long way to go before I am as comfortable with using it as my Nikons. One thing I notice is that you can't use the viewfinder when you have the articulated display orientated for low level photography which makes switching between the two types of photography a little slower than with my z6. I'm sure there are many pros though - the AF definitely being one of them!!

AF8A1243 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A1233 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A1181 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A1134 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A1309 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Last edited:
Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I managed to get the loan of a friends 70-200mm and got these photos with my newly acquired R6 this afternoon. Loving the Eye AF capabilities. Still a long way to go before I am as comfortable with using it as my Nikons. One thing I notice is that you can't use the viewfinder when you have the articulated display orientated for low level photography which makes switching between the two types of photography a little slower than with my z6. I'm sure there are many pros though - the AF definitely being one of them!!

AF8A1243 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A1233 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A1181 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A1134 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
AF8A1309 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
With the R5 you can choose viewfinder, screen or automatic switching between the two. In the menu it's the third settings menu. Could be the same for the R6?

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
With the R5 you can choose viewfinder, screen or automatic switching between the two. In the menu it's the third settings menu. Could be the same for the R6?
With the display flat on the back of the camera facing outwards the switching between evr and display works as you would expect however when you twist the display outward so that the display is orientated for taking photo at ground level in landscape, bringing the camera back up to your eye doesn’t switch to evr anymore. It appears you need to fold the screen back in first. A small inconvenience I know but I do like to switch between the two methods rapidly sometimes when shooting wildlife.

I haven’t delved into the settings yet, but I’m assuming that it must be in automatic switching already for it to switch between the two automatically with the display folded away and facing outward? I wonder if assigning a button to force it into evr manually when the display is folded outward for low level photography is possible. That would be quicker and probably safer than twisting and manipulating the display in a rush for these action shots where you suddenly want evr

Last edited:
Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
No
Bit off topic. But what method do you use to carry your 200mm around when you’re out shooting with it?

I find the cases for these big whites a tad too ‘impractical’ - and would prefer a decent bag to lug it around in if I knew of a good one.
Just a standard backpack. With the lens hood reversed it’s not that large. It’s heavy though and when it out I’m holding it by the tripod foot between shooting

Edit My Images
Yes
The 200 is not very big and fits in my smallest backpack. For the bigger ones I’m using lowepro flipside 500.
Just a standard backpack. With the lens hood reversed it’s not that large. It’s heavy though and when it out I’m holding it by the tripod foot between shooting

Thanks very much both of you for the replies.

I’ll have to check out a few backpacks and do a bit of research... :D

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I’ll often attach a monopod to the foot and carry by holding the foot and monopod together. For me, it feels more secure than holding by only the foot.

Edit My Images
Yes
I’ll often attach a monopod to the foot and carry by holding the foot and monopod together. For me, it feels more secure than holding by only the foot.
Do you still have the original Canon tripod foot on yours, Tim?

I’ve seen aftermarket ones like really right stuff being mentioned quite often, and people say it’s a much better option than the standard one.

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Do you still have the original Canon tripod foot on yours, Tim?

I’ve seen aftermarket ones like really right stuff being mentioned quite often, and people say it’s a much better option than the standard one.
I'm using it with the original canon foot. It's one of my favorite lenses, especially for stage events and indoor sport, things which thankfully are starting up again at last.