Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Have any R5 users purchased from Panamoz and noticed any issues with regional hardware/firmware. Just read a couple of seemingly isolated posts about not being able to connect to image.canon with a camera purchased in China (not from Panamoz). Just wondered what people's experiences were here?

Have any R5 users purchased from Panamoz and noticed any issues with regional hardware/firmware. Just read a couple of seemingly isolated posts about not being able to connect to image.canon with a camera purchased in China (not from Panamoz). Just wondered what people's experiences were here?

Mine is from Panamoz and the soft/hardware was/is fine and I can connect my camera to image.canon and then work with these on my iPhone etc.

I've got a few techy questions I wonder if anyone has been able to figure out..

If I'm in shooting mode (photography) and I hit the movie record button, I only get 1080p at 60p. I've not been able to find a way to alter this so that it's the res that would be set when in movie mode. As an example, if I'm using my Lumix G100 in Aperture mode, and I hit the video record button, it does the full 4k 30p. Wonder if there is a way around this for the R5?

Secondly - if I want to switch from Stills to Movie, I hit the mode button up top and then use on the dials to switch to video mode. Is there a quicker one-touch way of switching from still s to movie mode and vice versa?

Yes, I have read the manual and got all the other customer settings pretty much set up but... these two have flummoxed me !

I've got a few techy questions I wonder if anyone has been able to figure out..

If I'm in shooting mode (photography) and I hit the movie record button, I only get 1080p at 60p. I've not been able to find a way to alter this so that it's the res that would be set when in movie mode. As an example, if I'm using my Lumix G100 in Aperture mode, and I hit the video record button, it does the full 4k 30p. Wonder if there is a way around this for the R5?

Secondly - if I want to switch from Stills to Movie, I hit the mode button up top and then use on the dials to switch to video mode. Is there a quicker one-touch way of switching from still s to movie mode and vice versa?

Yes, I have read the manual and got all the other customer settings pretty much set up but... these two have flummoxed me !
Mine appears to be the same as C1 settings

I've only played with video a few times, but when you hit the red record button, doesn't it record it in whatever you have left it at when you've set it up via the mode, and hitting the info button?

Edite: i.e. hit mode button, hit info button, choose your video settings. Set mode button back to aperture priority or whatever. When you hit the red record button you are instantly changing between aperture priority and your chosen video settings.

Last edited:
I've only played with video a few times, but when you hit the red record button, doesn't it record it in whatever you have left it at when you've set it up via the mode, and hitting the info button?

Edite: i.e. hit mode button, hit info button, choose your video settings. Set mode button back to aperture priority or whatever. When you hit the red record button you are instantly changing between aperture priority and your chosen video settings.
That's what I'd have thought - and hoped! - but it always defaults to just 1080p! I never shoot in 1080 in actual video mode you see, so... hmmm!

That's what I'd have thought - and hoped! - but it always defaults to just 1080p! I never shoot in 1080 in actual video mode you see, so... hmmm!
This is quite interesting. Please post if you glean more. I've learnt you change the frame rate and the file type by pressing Q and perhaps some combinations are not possible and therefore force other options.

I've discovered that if I set it to Aperture priority in video shooting (not that I'd ever use that), and then I played with changing frame rate and quality to 4K. If I then set it back to Auto in video mode, when I press the red button it keeps defaulting to C3 - even though at no point did I change it in C3. So it must be my combination of other settings.I can't get it off C3!!

Last edited:
This is quite interesting. Please post if you glean more. I've learnt you change the frame rate and the file type by pressing Q and perhaps some combinations are not possible and therefore force other options.

I've discovered that if I set it to Aperture priority in video shooting (not that I'd ever use that), and then I played with changing frame rate and quality to 4K. If I then set it back to Auto in video mode, when I press the red button it keeps defaulting to C3 - even though at no point did I change it in C3. So it must be my combination of other settings.I can't get it off C3!!
I will have a good play around this evening/tomorrow and report back!

I've just tested it out and registering video mode C3 to the settings you need seems to be the answer, it's working on my R5.

Has anybody had any experience finding out the shutter count on their r6 / r5? Tried shutter count website www.camerashuttercount.com but it said 'It looks like your camera doesn't supply the necessary information' when uploading one my latest RAW files. Just curious to find out how much I've worn mine out so far :)

I've just tested it out and registering video mode C3 to the settings you need seems to be the answer, it's working on my R5.
Amazing. Figured it out and followed your instructions today. That's really useful - you've no idea how much I was missing by pressing mode to cycle through again. I've set it to do 4K 60 at the touch of the button, which should be just right.

Thank you!! I'd never have found that without your help!

Amazing. Figured it out and followed your instructions today. That's really useful - you've no idea how much I was missing by pressing mode to cycle through again. I've set it to do 4K 60 at the touch of the button, which should be just right.

Thank you!! I'd never have found that without your help!
Thank you, that’s great to hear!

Good Afternoon,

I'm trying to update the firmware on my R from 1.7 to 1.8, I'm getting a 'update file cannot be found' error. I've redownloded it, formatted the sd card. Still does not work. This is the same card I used for the last update. Any ideas? Thanks D

is the filename correct? if you redownloaded and the original file is there the redownloaded filename might have an extra number at the end which would through it off.

is the filename correct? if you redownloaded and the original file is there the redownloaded filename might have an extra number at the end which would through it off.
Hi Tim,

Yes the file name is correct.

I've finally given up on the Samyang 85 1.4 RF. As much as I like the lens, there are a few things that annoy me. The fact that any time that the camera sleeps there is a few seconds where the body thinks the lens is an MF lens before snapping out of it and changing to AF. It's also around 400-600k warmer than any Canon lens I own. Picky I know but when shooting 40-50 weddings a year at about 5000 images per wedding these things can drive you mad. I've now bitten the bullet and bought a Canon 85 1.2 RF.

I now have three Canon 85's (EF 1.8, 1.2 and RF 1.2) and a Samyang 85. If anyone wants to know my thought about all of them, just let me know.

I've finally given up on the Samyang 85 1.4 RF. As much as I like the lens, there are a few things that annoy me. The fact that any time that the camera sleeps there is a few seconds where the body thinks the lens is an MF lens before snapping out of it and changing to AF. It's also around 400-600k warmer than any Canon lens I own. Picky I know but when shooting 40-50 weddings a year at about 5000 images per wedding these things can drive you mad. I've now bitten the bullet and bought a Canon 85 1.2 RF.

I now have three Canon 85's (EF 1.8, 1.2 and RF 1.2) and a Samyang 85. If anyone wants to know my thought about all of them, just let me know.
How do you find the RF? I have the EF 1.8 and 1.4 and had the 1.2. While I loved the look of the 1.2, the AF was too slow to be reliable for events.

How do you find the RF? I have the EF 1.8 and 1.4 and had the 1.2. While I loved the look of the 1.2, the AF was too slow to be reliable for events.
I have the ef 1.2 mkii and find the AF pretty good on the r6. Coming from the z6 and a nikkor 85mm f/1.8 z I have to say the usability is far better even with the older lens on the R6. Only thing that’s not so good is motion blur at anything slower than 1/250 and CA at f/1.2. Tempted to try an rf 85mm f/1.2 sometime

I have the ef 1.2 mkii and find the AF pretty good on the r6. Coming from the z6 and a nikkor 85mm f/1.8 z I have to say the usability is far better even with the older lens on the R6. Only thing that’s not so good is motion blur at anything slower than 1/250 and CA at f/1.2. Tempted to try an rf 85mm f/1.2 sometime
The CA gives it character :)

How does everyone find the electronic shutter? Any scenarios where it’s very useful? Anything where rolling shutter results in unusable images? I’ve not tried it so far.

I use electronic unless I need a longer shutter speed as the electronic will only go to 0.5s

I’m not sure there is a particular advantage unless you are shooting wildlife and need the quiet activation.

There is a burst speed/no. Of shots variation between electronic and manual but cannot remember which way around and again. Would be useful for wildlife or action shots.

This is where the rolling shutter comes into effect isn’t it so mechanical is the preferred choice?

I exclusively use the electronic shutter, mainly because in my head I feel that the mechanical one will wear out the more I use it, so whilst I’m getting things dialed in to how I like I’m just using electronic. But I’m not a huge fan of it as coming from dslr’s I like to have the presence of an almost tactile clunk to know I’ve taken the shot, at the moment I’m taking 5+ without hardly realising it.o_O

I exclusively use the electronic shutter, mainly because in my head I feel that the mechanical one will wear out the more I use it, so whilst I’m getting things dialed in to how I like I’m just using electronic. But I’m not a huge fan of it as coming from dslr’s I like to have the presence of an almost tactile clunk to know I’ve taken the shot, at the moment I’m taking 5+ without hardly realising it.o_O
I know what you mean! The other day I didn’t think I’d taken the shot and back at home realised I had over a dozen of the same landscape!

I've used it wildlife/birds and not noticed any rolling shutter yet.

With my Olympus I learnt that it's best not to use it for gigs - as you get banding in the lights.

How does everyone find the electronic shutter? Any scenarios where it’s very useful? Anything where rolling shutter results in unusable images? I’ve not tried it so far.
I’ve only been using the electronic shutter works great no issues
I started using it because when I first got it went on holiday soon afterwards and my wife was doing video at the same time so wanted a quiet shutter
Because it works so well on electronic shutter I never got round to trying mechanical

Copied from another forum
R5 v1.5.1 is out

Firmware Version 1.5.1 incorporates the following fix:
1. Fixes an issue that in rare instances, the camera may become inoperable when shooting in the Servo AF setting while operating the <AF-ON> button.

R5 v1.5.1 is out

1. Fixes an issue that in rare instances, the camera may become inoperable when shooting in the Servo AF setting while operating the <AF-ON> button.
thanks, I'll give it a try

R5 v1.5.1 is out

It sounds as though this is a temporary fix for the lock-ups that people are experiencing and that there will be a further update in March to address the AF tracking issues in 1.5.0.

However, looking on other forums, some people seem to have no issues at all with 1.5.0 whilst others say the AF tracking is not as good as 1.4.0.

Are any of you folks running 1.5.0 successfully? I’d love to try it for the new features, but not if there are issues with the AF.

I’m running 1.5.0 successfully the eye tracking is improved for what I’m doing at the moment, zoo photography but some people are having issues with subjects with busy backgrounds
I’m looking forward to what they do in future updates though apparently they are working to improve further the AF

I’m running 1.5.0 successfully the eye tracking is improved for what I’m doing at the moment, zoo photography but some people are having issues with subjects with busy backgrounds
I’m looking forward to what they do in future updates though apparently they are working to improve further the AF
Thanks LCPete, that’s really useful to know. Let’s hope they nail it with the next update.

Back