Canon EOS R Series Cameras

If you haven't got sorted with an L bracket, this looks like it solves the screen issue. Only problem is it is personal import as far as I can tell so likely to rack up cost wise plus can't seem to find any independent reviews so far regarding quality https://silencecorner.net/products/atoll-model-c-black-silver
Whilst it solves one issue it likely creates several others.

Photos from their installation guide for Nikon cameras but it gives an idea what it would look like on a canon model (https://silencecorner.net/zh/pages/atoll-installation-guide).
CD2FD88B-F9B2-476B-9DCD-CDD3824CC4FE.jpeg

The adapter will likely reduce finger space on the grip. They say on their compatibility guide anything on the lens within 2cm of the camera Mount will be impeded. That means access to side buttons on the lens will be restricted making them impossible to use on RF lenses and it may also cover some of the zoom ring and lens focal length mm scale. The front buttons on the camera will likely be more difficult to access too.

Personally I’ve not felt an L bracket really impedes the articulated screen that much when using the camera on a tripod that it’s a hinderance. There’s enough movement in the screen angle that I can work with the screen open and angled for me. If I felt it was a problem it’s likely when I wouldn’t be using a tripod so I could loosen one Allen key bolt to take the L bracket off.

It’s a nice idea as it solves the initial issue but then creates several others which to me are more of an issue than the screen angle issue which I can work around.

Last edited:

Photos from their installation guide for Nikon cameras but it gives an idea what it would look like on a canon model (https://silencecorner.net/zh/pages/atoll-installation-guide).
View attachment 381284

The adapter will likely reduce finger space on the grip. They say on their compatibility guide anything on the lens within 2cm of the camera Mount will be impeded. That means access to side buttons on the lens will be impossible to use on RF lenses and it may also cover some of the zoom ring and lens focal length mm scale. The front buttons on the camera will likely be more difficult to access too.

Personally I’ve not felt an L bracket really impedes the articulated screen that much when using the camera on a tripod that it’s a hinderance. There’s enough movement in the screen angle that I can work with the screen open and angled for me. If I felt it was a problem it’s likely when I wouldn’t be using a tripod so I could loosen one Allen key bolt to take the L bracket off.

It’s a nice idea as it solves the initial issue but then creates several others which to me are more of an issue than the screen angle issue which I can work around.
Thanks for highlighting that. I was also wondering if you might need to remove it to get it in the camera bag. I guess we'll need to wait for some reviews

Thanks for highlighting that. I was also wondering if you might need to remove it to get it in the camera bag. I guess we'll need to wait for some reviews
There’s video showing how to fit it. Looks like it would be a faff to take on and off all the time if you had to to get it in a bag.

If I’m honest it’s looks to me to be a solution looking for a problem, rather than a solution to a problem. And an expensive solution too.

The whole screen impeded by an L bracket feels like it’s made into a bigger problem than I actually find it to be. The L3T L bracket that’s made for the R6/5 doesn’t pose me an issue. The screen can be opened flat (180 degrees) fine. It’s only angling it that I have to angle first then rotate it into position through the L bracket cut out. The angle it needs to be set at is ok for working on a tripod or low to the ground.

View attachment 381284

The adapter will likely reduce finger space on the grip. They say on their compatibility guide anything on the lens within 2cm of the camera Mount will be impeded. That means access to side buttons on the lens will be restricted making them impossible to use on RF lenses and it may also cover some of the zoom ring and lens focal length mm scale. The front buttons on the camera will likely be more difficult to access too.

That's an interesting idea, but I'd say that's only worth using if you have a long/heavy lens that doesn't have it's own tripod foot.
It doesn't give you the option to shoot vertically so that's no better than a plain tripod plate.
My L-bracket does give me difficulty rotating the screen on my RP but I'm looking at the 3LeggedThing Ellie would allow adjustment of the side piece to allow more space to rotate the screen.

That's an interesting idea, but I'd say that's only worth using if you have a long/heavy lens that doesn't have it's own tripod foot.
It doesn't give you the option to shoot vertically so that's no better than a plain tripod plate.
My L-bracket does give me difficulty rotating the screen on my RP but I'm looking at the 3LeggedThing Ellie would allow adjustment of the side piece to allow more space to rotate the screen.
Ironically it can’t be used with too heavy lenses. It says it’s suitable up to 70-200 size lenses.

That adapter can be turned like a tripod lens foot can so it can shoot vertically or at any angle you wish.

I’ve got the 3 legged thing -Roxie which is dedicated for the R5/R6. It has the cut out on the vertical side of the L bracket. It’s a simple solution.

I’ve never got on with the universal L brackets as they can twist/loosen without the additional support edges/pins. I’ve always gone for a dedicated model specific version for that reason. The 3LT Roxie is a great fit on the R6.

Last edited:
Ironically it can’t be used with too heavy lenses. It say up to 70-200.

That adapter can be turned like a tripod lens foot can be so it can shoot vertically or at any angle you wish.

I’ve got the 3 legged thing -Roxie which is dedicated for the R5/R6. It has the cut out on the vertical side of the L bracket. It’s a simple solution.

I’ve never got on with the universal L brackets as they can twist/loosen without the additional support edges/pins. I’ve always gone for a dedicated model specific version for that reason. The 3LT Roxie is a great fit on the R6.
I've got an R7 so currently using a 3LT Ellie short so not specifically designed for the camera. As such I have to have the upright section moved further away from the side of the camera to give a wider range of screen position. It would be good to be able to use the full range but whether there's enough profit for the accessory companies to spend the R&D budget on coming up with a version of the L bracket to make it profitable I don't know. I've seen the Smallrig cage which can be adapted to take an Arca Swiss plate to make an L bracket of sorts but looks very clunky for stills photography

I've got an R7 so currently using a 3LT Ellie short so not specifically designed for the camera. As such I have to have the upright section moved further away from the side of the camera to give a wider range of screen position. It would be good to be able to use the full range but whether there's enough profit for the accessory companies to spend the R&D budget on coming up with a version of the L bracket to make it profitable I don't know. I've seen the Smallrig cage which can be adapted to take an Arca Swiss plate to make an L bracket of sorts but looks very clunky for stills photography
A quick google search brings up a couple of dedicated L bracket options for the R7.

Amazon R7 L bracket

Sunwayfoto R7 L bracket

The amazon one doesn’t have many reviews. I’d check it can be returned.

I’ve used sunwayfoto L brackets on Nikon cameras before and they were good quality for the price. The problem has been finding a Uk stockist.

The R7 is a relatively new camera so the L brackets are probably only just coming to the market. Third party accessories like these have to be designed once they have a camera in hand as canon are unlikely to help with providing the dimensions. That was probably delayed due to the R7 stock issues. There isn’t much design needed as it’s pretty much repeating a previous L bracket design to new dimensions and creating the CNC program for production.

Last edited:
Looking at the Sunwayfoto L bracket photos in the link I provided the gap isn’t as big as the R6 3LT L bracket. It may not give as much room to twist the screen like the 3LT Roxie bracket. The 3LT Roxie bracket is good for maximum angle but I have very careful every time I clamp it into the tripod head as is only a few mm each side of the gap that’s held by the tripod head clamp.

The amazon L bracket would be worth a try if it can be returned like a normal amazon item can be. It says returnable within 30 days but it’s a market seller so not sure if it’s under a different return method.

Has anyone bought the RF extender and managed to fit it to a hacked EF to RF converter?

I am still using a 15 year old EF extender mk2 so works for me to upgrade to an RF extender for my 100-500 and then do away with the EF version and use the RF version with my EF lenses - but I know you need to modify the converter to allow the RF extender to fit.

Wondering if anyone has done it and which converter they used?

Cheers

Not sure I understand what you’re asking but I use the RF to EF adapter it works with my EF lenses and EF converters

Has anyone bought the RF extender and managed to fit it to a hacked EF to RF converter?

I am still using a 15 year old EF extender mk2 so works for me to upgrade to an RF extender for my 100-500 and then do away with the EF version and use the RF version with my EF lenses - but I know you need to modify the converter to allow the RF extender to fit.

Wondering if anyone has done it and which converter they used?

Cheers
I assume you mean using the RF extender with say, the EF70-200mm so that you don't keep both extenders. I haven't tried it but I could, as I have the RF extender and the EF 70-200 lens.
Wouldn't you attach the RF extender followed by the adapter followed by the lens? Does the adapter not fit the RF Extender? I'll have to have a look.

apparently the extender doesn't fit the barrol of the converter so you need to shave off some of the plastic

Thanks, I've watched a few youtubes already, just wanted some real world experience to see if anyone has actually done it and used it in real world conditions.

A quick google search brings up a couple of dedicated L bracket options for the R7.

Amazon R7 L bracket

Sunwayfoto R7 L bracket

The amazon one doesn’t have many reviews. I’d check it can be returned.

I’ve used sunwayfoto L brackets on Nikon cameras before and they were good quality for the price. The problem has been finding a Uk stockist.

The R7 is a relatively new camera so the L brackets are probably only just coming to the market. Third party accessories like these have to be designed once they have a camera in hand as canon are unlikely to help with providing the dimensions. That was probably delayed due to the R7 stock issues. There isn’t much design needed as it’s pretty much repeating a previous L bracket design to new dimensions and creating the CNC program for production.

The amazon L bracket IMO would be the one to have once the returns policy has been established.

Looking at the Sunwayfoto L bracket photos in the link I provided the gap isn’t as big as the R6 3LT L bracket. It may not give as much room to twist the screen like the 3LT Roxie bracket. The 3LT Roxie bracket is good for maximum angle but I have very careful every time I clamp it into the tripod head as is only a few mm each side of the gap that’s held by the tripod head clamp.

The amazon L bracket would be worth a try if it can be returned like a normal amazon item can be. It says returnable within 30 days but it’s a market seller so not sure if it’s under a different return method.
It looks like you can get a Smallrig half cage to get around the problem.....but unfortunately not yet for the R7 !
View: https://youtu.be/ZUqQqTB-Ldk

Well, I finally bit the bullet and got the R7, I'm still arguing with the set up and am alternately blown away and infuriated by the eye detection and tracking ;).
I still can't get a handle on it's ISO capabilities, some high ISO shots look great and some low ones look dog awful but I'm sure I will come to the conclusion it is a worthy successor to my 7Dmii eventually. in the mean while here a few BoSs taken with the 'little darling'

Magpie 02-01 r7 by Tara Rerrie, on Flickr

Chaffinch boy 02-04 r7 dxo by Tara Rerrie, on Flickr

Blue Tit boy 02-05 r7 dxo by Tara Rerrie, on Flickr.

Well, I finally bit the bullet and got the R7, I'm still arguing with the set up and am alternately blown away and infuriated by the eye detection and tracking ;).
I still can't get a handle on it's ISO capabilities, some high ISO shots look great and some low ones look dog awful but I'm sure I will come to the conclusion it is a worthy successor to my 7Dmii eventually. in the mean while here a few BoSs taken with the 'little darling'

Magpie 02-01 r7 by Tara Rerrie, on Flickr

Chaffinch boy 02-04 r7 dxo by Tara Rerrie, on Flickr

Blue Tit boy 02-05 r7 dxo by Tara Rerrie, on Flickr.

Some wonderful photos

I am now a R7 owner migrating from 7Dii and at first I was worried about the R7 high ISO images. However they are pretty, so is the eye tracking which is alien technology in side that R7.
One thing to do is to set a button to be single point AF and the keep the back button AF-on for eye & subject tracking. So you can just switch between the 2 focus modes.

Some wonderful photos

I am now a R7 owner migrating from 7Dii and at first I was worried about the R7 high ISO images. However they are pretty, so is the eye tracking which is alien technology in side that R7.
One thing to do is to set a button to be single point AF and the keep the back button AF-on for eye & subject tracking. So you can just switch between the 2 focus modes.
So is it worth changing from the 7Dii to the R7?

Having spent a morning photographing a snow bunting yesterday in decent light, swapping between my 1DXmii and the R7 I personally still prefer the shots I get from the brick. Vs the 7Dmii, you do get more detail due to the extra megapixels, I think the shots from the R7 are ’grainier than from my 7Dmii (which I rated as almost as good as my 1DXmii frankly). You might have to change up your post processing for the R7 depending on what software you use (I use bridge + photoshop and bridge makes the R7 shots look awfully noisy!!, I’ve also changed from Topaz denoise to DxO pure raw as I think DxO handles the files better)
At the moment I feel the eye tracking probably makes it a worthwhile upgrade just because it frees up my thumb from being perma glued to the little controller that moved the focus point about .
That said, do be prepared to spend time getting the button layout right for you, ( it feels like a toy camera after a 7Dmii and grip ) and you will need extra batteries, watch lots of y tube vids and do be prepared to spend time getting the button layout right for you.
A week ago I was on the fence about my ’upgrade’ now I think it was worth it but that’s partially because I spent last year with no crop body and it was either rebuy a 7DMii or go R7…
If you are happy with your 7Dmii maybe wait for the R7mii, if you do go for it, don’t be surprised if you are not overwhelmed at first I thinks it’s a slow burn kinda relationship and do be prepared to spend time getting the button layout right for you

And ’WTF Canon, why did you think it did not deserve a grip!!!,!

Last edited:
Having spent a morning photographing a snow bunting yesterday in decent light, swapping between my 1DXmii and the R7 I personally still prefer the shots I get from the brick. Vs the 7Dmii, you do get more detail due to the extra megapixels, I think the shots from the R7 are ’grainier than from my 7Dmii (which I rated as almost as good as my 1DXmii frankly). You might have to change up your post processing for the R7 depending on what software you use (I use bridge + photoshop and bridge makes the R7 shots look awfully noisy!!, I’ve also changed from Topaz denoise to DxO pure raw as I think DxO handles the files better)
At the moment I feel the eye tracking probably makes it a worthwhile upgrade just because it frees up my thumb from being perma glued to the little controller that moved the focus point about .
That said, do be prepared to spend time getting the button layout right for you, ( it feels like a toy camera after a 7Dmii and grip ) and you will need extra batteries, watch lots of y tube vids and do be prepared to spend time getting the button layout right for you.
A week ago I was on the fence about my ’upgrade’ now I think it was worth it but that’s partially because I spent last year with no crop body and it was either rebuy a 7DMii or go R7…
If you are happy with your 7Dmii maybe wait for the R7mii, if you do go for it, don’t be surprised if you are not overwhelmed at first I thinks it’s a slow burn kinda relationship and do be prepared to spend time getting the button layout right for you

And ’WTF Canon, why did you think it did not deserve a grip!!!,!

Thanks for the detailed response. It is the bird/animal/eye detection that attracts me but the size, plastic finish, noise etc is a worry.

I also have a 1DX mark I which is very good despite its age.

I use Topaz denoise which is fine for me, I didn’t see much difference when I tried DxO.

Perhaps waiting for the R7 mii is the best advice.

Question for you that now have the R7.

My partner bought one of these over the Xmas period. And having used my R5 for the afternoon a few days ago; she came up with a question that also stumped me :D

Do you actually have to disable the “eye tracking” option within the main menu to stop it completely?

It’s just that when I use it on my R5; it’s literally on the “L + tracking” AF option. And when I switch back to single point AF etc. it completely ignores eye tracking - even with it still active in the main menu.

But when my partner uses hers in single point; it still shows the eye tracking box from time to time.

So, is it a case of needing to deactivate it when not needed? Or is there another option I’m missing in the AF menu?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I do like my R7 and I love my 7Dii, also I enjoy using my Sony A6600.
I have noticed the iso leans quite high on the R7 due to high MP compared to 7Dii, even my Sony A6600 has high iso on pics. The R7 does like brighter light to drop the iso, however as I have mentioned the eye tracking is alien technology, the keeper rate is insane !
My ef L lens work very on the R7 and OK on my Sony A6600 via sigma mc-11 adapter. As I do not have worry about focusing I can think more about composition.
As all ready mentioned you do need to get use to the new button layout, plus the video capability is way beyond my 7Dii can ever achieve. I would not wait for R7ii as that is a least 3 years away plus 6 months wait for no stock availability !
The R7 automatic focus stacking is another alien technology which can greatly help depth of field for macros. P,us the Wight, size etc have their benefits.
I do like the feel and how the 7Dii handles, however the keeper rate is low compared to to my A6600 and R7.

IMA the best mirrorless camera ATM is R5, however at 4 and half grand that is out of my comfort zone to spend on a camera. So £1,350 for an R7 is a pretty good price for duel pixel and eye detection technology, and canons Eye AF is perhaps the best out at the moment from the big 3 manufacturers.

I do like my R7 and I love my 7Dii, also I enjoy using my Sony A6600.
I have noticed the iso leans quite high on the R7 due to high MP compared to 7Dii, even my Sony A6600 has high iso on pics. The R7 does like brighter light to drop the iso, however as I have mentioned the eye tracking is alien technology, the keeper rate is insane !
My ef L lens work very on the R7 and OK on my Sony A6600 via sigma mc-11 adapter. As I do not have worry about focusing I can think more about composition.
As all ready mentioned you do need to get use to the new button layout, plus the video capability is way beyond my 7Dii can ever achieve. I would not wait for R7ii as that is a least 3 years away plus 6 months wait for no stock availability !
The R7 automatic focus stacking is another alien technology which can greatly help depth of field for macros. P,us the Wight, size etc have their benefits.
I do like the feel and how the 7Dii handles, however the keeper rate is low compared to to my A6600 and R7.

IMA the best mirrorless camera ATM is R5, however at 4 and half grand that is out of my comfort zone to spend on a camera. So £1,350 for an R7 is a pretty good price for duel pixel and eye detection technology, and canons Eye AF is perhaps the best out at the moment from the big 3 manufacturers.
Thanks. I would like a R5 or R6 but as you say the cost is prohibitive and they do not have the reach of the R7. Decisions, decisions!

Thanks. I would like a R5 or R6 but as you say the cost is prohibitive and they do not have the reach of the R7. Decisions, decisions!
The apparent loss of reach was one of my concerns when I moved from a crop body to full frame many years ago. I've found I've adapted to the 'loss' although I've not been a small bird photographer. I now just stick to subjects that fit my equipment. The R5 has a crop 1.6 crop mode giving 17MP files. There are quite a few wildlife photographers that love the ability to crop with the R5.

The cost difference is definitely the biggest barrier to full frame cameras like the R5. The R7 is the best bang for buck mirrorless camera at present.

Question for thé Canon shooters. What reasonable priced long lens options are there? With Nikon I use the 400/4.5 and then able to use the 1.4x or 2x convertors but there doesn’t seem to be a canon equivalent.

Question for thé Canon shooters. What reasonable priced long lens options are there? With Nikon I use the 400/4.5 and then able to use the 1.4x or 2x convertors but there doesn’t seem to be a canon equivalent.
Depends on what you call “reasonable” priced.

There’s the 100-400 II which works well with Canon’s mirrorless system. 2nd hand copies are plentiful and are great value for the money.
Native mount equivalent; you have the 100-500. More expensive at around 3k (UK prices)

Then there’s the 400mm DO ii which I find is great value lens (for a prime anyway) if you get a good condition 2nd hand copy.

Depends on what you call “reasonable” priced.

There’s the 100-400 II which works well with Canon’s mirrorless system. 2nd hand copies are plentiful and are great value for the money.
Native mount equivalent; you have the 100-500. More expensive at around 3k (UK prices)

Then there’s the 400mm DO ii which I find is great value lens (for a prime anyway) if you get a good condition 2nd hand copy.

I own canon 70-300L IS USM which is a very sharp lens, a EF 100-400L Mkii another great lens and Sigma 150-600 C which is the best bang for buck. about 95% as sharpe as my 70-300L, the AF is not as fast and a heavy lens. However for price it is very good choice if you are on a budget.

I own canon 70-300L IS USM which is a very sharp lens, a EF 100-400L Mkii another great lens and Sigma 150-600 C which is the best bang for buck. about 95% as sharpe as my 70-300L, the AF is not as fast and a heavy lens. However for price it is very good choice if you are on a budget.
Is that the 70-300 IS version 2 or the older one? I'm looking to get something mid-range so wanted to check!

I always believed that Canon shooters were better served for Super Tele's than Nikon users.

Is that the 70-300 IS version 2 or the older one? I'm looking to get something mid-range so wanted to check!

Mine is EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 L IS USM, and there is no Mkii version. I think you referring to the the non L 70-300 !

EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM​

Back