weekly Carl's 2019 52 Project - Week 17 - Light

very good, what's not to like about it, the composition and exposure is excellent a lot of people might have over used the vibrance slider but that's spot on

Very nicely done. That's a big, wide open space - lovely colour and feel to the image

Beautiful image there, lovely sky and reflections, great use of the jetty to lead you in :)

Thank you Rick

Lovely sunset. Good details and colour in the sky and it reflects well on the sea. Would be interesting to see what happens to the jetty if you alter horizon?.

Cheers Mandy, I'm going to have a look when I get some time :)

Cracking image. I had hoped for an item space photo myself in the lake District but the conditions were miserable so didn't bother.

Thanks Rob

Quite simply superb!
Beautifully composed...like the symmetry.
Works so well in portrait...and those colours...very well captured!
Great work Carl!(y)

Thanks for the kind words Gareth!

very nice that is a beautiful image.

Thanks Peter

Agree that is a cracking image and very well taken, lighting is bang on and just an all round great shot.

Thanks very much Dave

very good, what's not to like about it, the composition and exposure is excellent a lot of people might have over used the vibrance slider but that's spot on

Cheers Allan, I love lighter pastel colours (maybe because I've been using Portra film a lot lately) and I think they work well in sunsets

Hi Carl

Clean, plenty of movement and good conversion to B&W, good composition with the plug hole on lines of thirds. Have you tried rotating the image to show the plug hole in different position, like bottom right to see if it makes a difference?

Open, a nice open view so fits the theme, lovely sunset as well. Horizon looks a little bit out, but very good effort.
Pete
Horizon is a bit slanted but it doesn't take away that it's a stunning image, I love it :clap:

Thanks Pete and Susie, as I said earlier the horizon is level, but the other side of the lagoon gets closer as it goes to the right, so it looks like it's wonky when it's not. I'm going to level the opposite shore and see what that does to the jetty. Hopefully I can make it look more straight without making the jetty look wonky :)

Oh my word!! Splendid shot. Maybe it's my eyes/monitor but is the horizon bang on straight? It seems to dip to the right as you look.
But anyway, still a stunner!
Lovely sunset. Good details and colour in the sky and it reflects well on the sea. Would be interesting to see what happens to the jetty if you alter horizon?.
Hi Carl

Clean, plenty of movement and good conversion to B&W, good composition with the plug hole on lines of thirds. Have you tried rotating the image to show the plug hole in different position, like bottom right to see if it makes a difference?

Open, a nice open view so fits the theme, lovely sunset as well. Horizon looks a little bit out, but very good effort.

Pete
Horizon is a bit slanted but it doesn't take away that it's a stunning image, I love it :clap:

I've rotated the image slightly so that the opposite shoreline is perfectly level. I was worried it would make the jetty look slanted, but I don't think it's enough of a difference to be noticeable, especially given that the jetty is made of wonky old bits of wood. Here's the corrected version:

East Fleet Lagoon
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

(I've replaced the image on Flickr, so the version I posted earlier in the thread has been updated too, if anyone wonders why it no longer looks slanted lol)

Hi Carl,

Clean - Nicely done, I like that the plug hole is off towards one corner, just the right amount of blur and works perfectly in B&W (y)

Open - Beautiful sunset, the colours are lovely. Very interesting pier too. Love how it disintegrates to just a few poles :D

Clean - Brilliant. Great idea, wouldn't have thought to try something like this. thanks for sharing
Open - Love it. always a sucker for a nice sunset and with the jetty leading us to it. cracking

lovely colours in the sky reflected beautifully and the broken walkway leads you right into it super shot

That's the sort of image I would like to make. Very well exposed, perfectly composed for the subject. I didn't notice the far shore in the original actually!

That really is excellent. From the l;ovely sunset and the sky to the distressed wood of the jetty and the composition.
:clap:

Thanks Tim!

Hi Carl,

Clean - Nicely done, I like that the plug hole is off towards one corner, just the right amount of blur and works perfectly in B&W (y)

Open - Beautiful sunset, the colours are lovely. Very interesting pier too. Love how it disintegrates to just a few poles :D

Thank you Georgina

That's a gorgeous image, Carl, from the colourful sky to the textures in the foreground. You've made good use of the excellent 10-24 :)

Cheers Andrea

Clean - Brilliant. Great idea, wouldn't have thought to try something like this. thanks for sharing
Open - Love it. always a sucker for a nice sunset and with the jetty leading us to it. cracking

Thanks Chenti

lovely colours in the sky reflected beautifully and the broken walkway leads you right into it super shot

Cheers!

That's the sort of image I would like to make. Very well exposed, perfectly composed for the subject. I didn't notice the far shore in the original actually!

Thank you Lindsay

In March I visited Hong Kong for my 30th birthday, and when we were there we visited Ming Cha tea shop for a tea tasting session. After the tea master assistant Vanessa showed us how to brew tea the traditional Chinese way using a Gaiwan, we sampled quite a few teas and eventually bought some gunpowder tea leaves (so called because they are rolled into little balls, which unroll when put in hot water) and a Gaiwan set (which means a bowl with a cover). It was good fun and I'd recommend it to anyone that visits Hong Kong.

I've got two versions of the same image. A colour one which was taken on the Fuji X-T2 with the 18-55 lens, and the second is a black and white version taken on Ilford FP4+ film on a Hasselblad 500cm with 80mm f/2.8 and a 21mm extension tube. I took the shot and developed the film last night, and then scanned it this morning after it spent the night drying in the bathroom.

X-T2 with 18-55
DSCF1086.jpg

Hasselblad 500cm, 80mm f/2.8 & 21 ext tube. Ilford FP4+
S200F006.jpg

Hi Carl, I really like them both but probably the film image has the edge, film is a mystery to me, well done for doing both. One tiny thing and please forgive my ocd. The centre line in the boards isn’t quite straight, but that’s just me :) what a lovely treat for your birthday, a trip to Hong Kong .... your shot makes my tea bag in a mug look a bit pathetic!

I prefer the colour one too - it just seems to make it feel slightly more oriental than a mono would - nicely done

Lovely photos for the theme. Lucky you for such a nice birthday trat and memories.
Prefer the colour version personally, really liking the colours in it and the tea leaves are clearly seen. What a pale colour it is, sure it tastes delicious though.
I've no idea about film so a lovely image and great idea to do the two versions.

Both excellent shots, and I too am in awe of those that use and process their own film/prints!

I too prefer the colour image though....there's something about those wonderful, muted tones, and the colour in the wood grain textures.
I do like the film grain in the B&W however.
Very nicely done Carl!(y)

That's some slick work getting the processing done so quickly.
Both are good shots, nicely composed etc. But the film version for me, I think it slightly suits the image more.

Thanks Tim :) Usually I can shoot, develop, dry and scan my negatives in an evening, but I didn't take the photo until quite late in the evening this time.

Both are cool shots. The colour one for me, and tea totally fits the theme as it's from a distant land.

Cheers Bob

Hi Carl, I really like them both but probably the film image has the edge, film is a mystery to me, well done for doing both. One tiny thing and please forgive my ocd. The centre line in the boards isn’t quite straight, but that’s just me :) what a lovely treat for your birthday, a trip to Hong Kong .... your shot makes my tea bag in a mug look a bit pathetic!

Thank you Susie :) Yes I couldn't quite get everything as square as I'd like, it was especially tricky for the film shot as I was looking through a waist level finder (like this) so everything was dark, hard to see, and back to front :D It was a fantastic trip and I'd love to go back again some day

I prefer the colour one too - it just seems to make it feel slightly more oriental than a mono would - nicely done

Thank you Ian

Nice idea, Carl, and the way you have arranged the items and shown the clear tea and the leaves is well thought-out. I prefer the colour version as I think it best shows the subtle colours of the tea and the leaves, and the tones of the tabletop add a warm backdrop. Very neat work.

Thanks Andrea, much appreciated

Very nice image for the theme Carl, I like the colour more as Andrea says the colours are just better imo so two good shots.

Thank you Dave

Lovely photos for the theme. Lucky you for such a nice birthday trat and memories.
Prefer the colour version personally, really liking the colours in it and the tea leaves are clearly seen. What a pale colour it is, sure it tastes delicious though.
I've no idea about film so a lovely image and great idea to do the two versions.

Thanks Mandy. It's actually not a very strong flavour at all, as it's only brewed for a minute or two. You can reuse the leaves a few times and the flavour changes each time!

I’m literally torn between the two, leaning towards the film version though. Nice idea

Thanks Chris :)

Both excellent shots, and I too am in awe of those that use and process their own film/prints!

I too prefer the colour image though....there's something about those wonderful, muted tones, and the colour in the wood grain textures.
I do like the film grain in the B&W however.
Very nicely done Carl!(y)

Thanks Gareth! I process my own black and white as it's ridiculously easy with a daylight tank now. I used to do my own colour film too, but the chemicals go off too fast and it works out cheaper to send them off for developing. You can actually send a roll of film off in the post and get a download link for scanned images a day or two later :D

Both very good and hard to choose which one so I won’t very nice arrangement well thought out

Like a lot of other people, when the cold theme was announced I took my camera out into the garden to get some snowy images before it all melted. I took a few different shots and I've been sitting on them for the last few days trying to decide which one to post. In the end I decided on this photo of a metal daisy that's seen better days. Taken on the X-T2 with the fantastic 23mm f/2.

20190201-20190201 - Garden Snow-011.jpg

Lovely composition. Suits B&W well.

Love the 'Open' shot Carl! Great job on Cold too!

Nicely done and composed!

I really like this - there's something a bit weird about all the snow on the flower and all so smooth and tidy

Nice cold photo and love it in mono. As a real cold feel to it. That lens looks lovely. Must resist. I went for the 35mm F2 instead. Very drawn to this photo.

Carl, the sunflower is really good. I was tempted with the 23 f2 but went for the 35 f1.4 tempted to have rethink after seeing this

Back