Cobra's 2021 52 Creative Calamities Week 52 showcase, done and out.

Numbers has just made my day, scrolling down I thought mmm sky then it showed up making me laugh ( sorry) but I do really like it.
Cheers Dave (y)
And I don't mind you laughing at all :)

Shooting from a low perspective won't make them any taller.. the negative space works nicely.
We have one planted just outside the village and it's a little bigger than these. Apparently, landowners planted them on their boundaries to make the extent of their property look larger.
When I buy plants for the garden it's always either 3 or 5.. seems to work for everything.

Shooting from a low perspective won't make them any taller..
That wasn't the intention Helen, besides they are Bonsai's and small is good. :D
I had to get a little lower to exclude the houses and just include the sky.

the negative space works nicely.

Last edited:
That wasn't the intention Helen, besides they are Bonsai's and small is good. :D
I had to get a little lower to exclude the houses and just include the sky.

That subtle jest fell a bit flat then... ;)

Week 19 Toy's ( filled with food)
You hum it mate and I'll play it.

In recognition of Whipsnade's 90th birthday,
Retro processed.
Not convinced it entirely works, but PABD as they say..

052.jpg

Week 20 Artificial.
I've just finished creating a couple of " Tanaki,'s" ( translates to cheat or false)
or phoenix graft in English.
Its a way of artificially ageing Bonsai.

A round channel is cut into an old piece of wood and then the wood is artificially aged.
The "whip" is then place into the channel and tied off.
In a few years the trunk will have swollen enough to fill the channel, ( cut rather like an Omega sign, wide at the bottom)
And the ties and padding will be removed.

046.jpg

Week 21 Patterns.
The irregular Patterns on this little fella act as disruptive camouflage in the wild.

129A3052.jpg

Good catch up. The zebra is my favourite of the three as it makes my eyes go funny.... not sure if that is a good thing, but it is amazing that nature comes up with such wonderful patterns.

They all fit the bill - can bears play pan pipes?? As for the bonsai - what a lot of work! It sounds like an art trying to get the plant to be how you envisage it.

The zebra is my favourite of the three as it makes my eyes go funny....
That's the idea Bee, its even "worse" if its running, predators can't focus.. well that's the idea anyway.

can bears play pan pipes??
That one can apparently :D

It sounds like an art trying to get the plant to be how you envisage it.
It takes years TBH.
Thanks for dropping by (y)
Now other stuff is just about sorted, hopefully I'll be able to start commenting again :)

Nice set to catch up. The bonsai sounds really interesting - you must have the patience of a saint!
Great zebra patterns - is his head so much bigger than the body or is it just the perspective of the shot?

you must have the patience of a saint!
Actually no, I never understood how I got into Bonsai in the first place :LOL:
is his head so much bigger than the body or is it just the perspective of the shot?
A little of both, its a "new born" and they do tend to be out of proportion for awhile,
but also yes partly perspective too.
Thanks for dropping by Helen.

Good catch up at first I thought the bear pic was a mole o_O
I'd hate that digging up my garden :D

It's a Sloth Bear, AKA dancing bear AKA the inspiration for Disney's Baloo

Catch up
A good catch up (I guess you've been a little preoccupied in your new roll).
I wasn't too sure about the processing of your toy shot, but after reading your explanation I can see why you've done it.

Catch up
A good catch up (I guess you've been a little preoccupied in your new roll).
I wasn't too sure about the processing of your toy shot, but after reading your explanation I can see why you've done it.
Cheers Dom, yes it has been a bit mad with the "other things", over the last few months, its settling down now, so hopefully I'm back :)
TBH the processing didn't work out quite as well as I had hope though .

The processing on the Sloth Bear works for me, it makes the best of pretty hard light. I really like the body angle on the Zebra too.

We're off back up to Whipsnade a week on Saturday, it's going to be sad after they had to shoot two of the Brown Bears a couple of weeks ago... They were always very obliging for photographs, and my daughter particularly adored them.

Nice set to catch up with. I tried to get into bonsai as a younger man but I just don't have the patience i;'m afraid. the zebra is very nice as an image.

The processing on the Sloth Bear works for me, it makes the best of pretty hard light. I really like the body angle on the Zebra too.
Cheers Nick (y) and yeah the light was a bit of a nightmare, and also very changeable

it's going to be sad after they had to shoot two of the Brown Bears a couple of weeks ago.
The mood was a bit subdued when I went up there after.
Although Cinderella ( the surviving one) was enjoying playing to the water, I guess having it all to herself.
Enjoy your day (y)

Nice set to catch up with. I tried to get into bonsai as a younger man but I just don't have the patience i;'m afraid. the zebra is very nice as an image.
Cheers Jim. (y)

Week 22 Up close
Something slightly different from me this week...
left to right mini jasmine cotonoester rock cress

Untitled-1.jpg

But I just couldn't resist this Marmalade hoverfly :D

012.jpg

Last edited:
It's a pleasant tryptic but I much prefer the close up of the insect, especially the eye. Insect eyes are always so fascinating.

A nice set there, but the hover fly is the cream of the crop for me, lovely image and well captured.

A nice set there, but the hover fly is the cream of the crop for me, lovely image and well captured.
I must admit - vote 3 for the Hover fly.

All good though.
Thanks guy's (y)
seem's I went for the wrong image, I guess I'd better stick to what I know in that case :D

The hover fly wins it for me, it is so sharp, but the flowers are good and colourful too.

Pete

Week 23. Personal

Back story, I guess this is quite personal to me.
My Granddads half Hunter.
I went with the family to see him, and Gran,
as normal.

He handed me a dark blue box, and said, here, I was saving this for your 18th ( I was 17 at the time)
But as you are here you may as well have it now .....

He died before I was 18 ....

6 stack in affinity

Watch-2.jpg

And the back,
another stack, 10 this time.

Watch.jpg

Last edited:
Personal
Of the two, I am edging more towards the second shot. I like the detail of the workings and the reflection. They're both nicely done though

Up close
For the triptyph I would have swapped the positions of flowers 1 and 2 to balance the similar sized images at either side.
The detail on the hoverfly is impressive and just jumps straight out of the image

Personal
A very poignant back story, I like both images but prefer the workings in the second one.

That second shot is great. I got my grandfathers watch but it was terribly beaten up. Every watch place I took it to said it wasn't economical to repair. I told 'em it was sentimental but they still wouldn't touch it. Nowhere near as fancy as this one though. Fascinating subject and lots of detail - enough to admire the workmanship.

Back