Cobra's 2021 52 Creative Calamities Week 52 showcase, done and out.

As hard as life can be, I love the idea that if something is killed, nothing of it is wasted.
Ah ok I thought you meant the cattle were clothed.
Not used as clothes.

Really like the bison, b&w brings out the textures well
Cheers Nick.
I rarely do B&W, but I also thought it suited it :)

Nice catch up Chris, I like the the pushme pullyou, not many around so a lucky capture.

Pete

Nice catch up Chris, I like the the pushme pullyou, not many around so a lucky capture.

Pete
Cheers Pete :)
And as ZSL are a conservation organisation, my best chance of finding one was there :D

Snapper's Choice made me smile. Poor thing doesn't know if it's coming or going!

Back - Perfect for the theme. I think he is ignoring you. You must have got his back up... sorry, I'll crawl back behind that rock... :exit:

Culture - I couldn't think of the connection at first, but you are correct and it does fit the theme nicely. I like the composition and the eye contact.

Nice set of catch-up images, and very clever on the 2 headed pushme pullyou ;) made me smile.

Nice set of catch-up images, and very clever on the 2 headed pushme pullyou ;) made me smile.
Cheers Jim :)
And mission accomplished :D

Week 48 Living
This Chinese cherry apple should be dormant,
but to prove its still living, it has started to flower.

005.jpg

The full tree

007.jpg

Week 49 Still life.
Not my favourite subject but PAB :)

B&W-artistic.jpg

Week 50 minuscule

At approx 2 inches this Acer is minuscule compared to the tree it was air layered from.
The air roots are developing nicely as are the back buds.
Once in leaf, the bare branches will be cut back, to retain or even reduce the size further
The plan is, next year, to find a nice rock to root it over.

018.jpg

Last edited:
Nice catch up Chris. I hadn't noticed you'd missed a few.

No surprises that your subject for minuscule might be a bonsai. It reminds me of a triffid and I expect it to step out of that bowl any minute.
2" is tiny. How big do you envisage it will get in the end? (5 years from now?)

A striking image for still life. The pattern on the table really leads you into your gruesome subject :)

Living..... ah... a small tree :) Intriguing that it should be flowering whilst also having fruits, and all when it should be dormant? It is an attractive tree - I guess this one is inches tall too?

It reminds me of a triffid and I expect it to step out of that bowl any minute.
Why do you think I have stakes and raffia around it? :D
(Actually they are for support while the air roots develop)
2" is tiny. How big do you envisage it will get in the end? (5 years from now?)
Ooo I'd say about 2 inches :D
the idea is to get it to "fill out" and not gain any real height , certainly no more than another 1 inch max.

A striking image for still life. The pattern on the table really leads you into your gruesome subject :)
Thanks Bee. Tone mapping was my friend with this one :)

Living..... ah... a small tree :) Intriguing that it should be flowering whilst also having fruits, and all when it should be dormant?
The fruits are still there from this past summer, the flowers shouldn't start appearing until the spring, normally April or May in this case.
I guess this one is inches tall too?
About 8 inches
Thanks for dropping by :)

Why do you think I have stakes and raffia around it? :D
(Actually they are for support while the air roots develop)
Made me chuckle - I'll keep my eyes open for a mobile acer.

Ooo I'd say about 2 inches :D
the idea is to get it to "fill out" and not gain any real height , certainly no more than another 1 inch max.

The fruits are still there from this past summer, the flowers shouldn't start appearing until the spring, normally April or May in this case.

About 8 inches
So it stays at 2". That really is amazing. The Chinese Cherry Apple is a giant then at 8"

Made me chuckle - I'll keep my eyes open for a mobile acer.
Please return if you spot it wandering about :D

The Chinese Cherry Apple is a giant then at 8"
My largest one is a real monster a Chinese Elm at around 15 inches :)
All are generally less than 10"

Nice catch up Chris, the shoehorn is working well I see, I can hear it from here.

Pete

I really like the way the foreground leads in to still life. Great choice of items and the tones really suit the subject.
Miniscule feels like a shot from an instructional book... 'How not to kill your bonsai'. :ROFLMAO:

Nice set to catch up - I particularly like the still-life shot, a lot of interest in one shot.

I really like the way the foreground leads in to still life. Great choice of items and the tones really suit the subject.
Thanks Nick (y)

Miniscule feels like a shot from an instructional book... 'How not to kill your bonsai'.
:LOL: Sub-titled if you are really lucky :D

Nice set to catch up - I particularly like the still-life shot, a lot of interest in one shot.
Thanks Simon :)

Interesting catch up... I'm in awe of the patience it must take to grow bonsai trees.
The still life is a great composition whether you like the subject matter or not ;)

I'm in awe of the patience it must take to grow bonsai trees.
Yeah I picked the wrong hobby I have very little :D
Most things are sleeping at the moment, a couple of months or so, ( weather / temperatures depending) and I'll be busy
trimming re potting and a couple of air layers planned too.

The still life is a great composition whether you like the subject matter or not
Thanks Helen. :)
I must admit it did come out better than expected.

Week 51, seasonal.
One last shoe horn from me. ( no need to shoe horn tomorrow ;) )
While most of my Bonsai's are resting this seasonal Norwegian spruce ( about 6" tall)
is starting to bud out ...

(Yeah I know it needs a trim to remove the dead wood )

004.jpg

Last edited:
Just a nice little shoehorn :D

No bonsai baubles. I am SO disappointed :(
:LOL:

Don't you think they go through quite enough torture without being embarrassed as well?
:D

Nice shoe-horn, and a lovely little tree.

One last shoe horn from me. ( no need to shoe horn tomorrow ;) )
Is it "gob shot"? :)

Nice to see something un-Christmassy, so "different" rather than "shoe-horn" IMO.

Thanks for all your work on the 52 this year Chris. Hope you and your loved ones have had a great Christmas and have a happy new year.

'tis seasonal indeed! And probably looking better than many other Christmas trees do right now.....

'tis seasonal indeed! And probably looking better than many other Christmas trees do right now.....
Thanks Simon, tis a bit poor TBH, but that'll be rectified in a couple of months :)

Back