Cobra's 2021 52 Creative Calamities Week 52 showcase, done and out.

That says Halloween to me. Great captures - I wouldn't even know where to start!

Love bats! I like the bat house at the local zoo but the keepers there are funny about cameras with flashes so I don't have the chance to take any. I really like your three good detail

Nice tryp... trip... three shot group!
They work well together, and I particularly like 1 and 3 as standalone images.

Love bats! I like the bat house at the local zoo but the keepers there are funny about cameras with flashes so I don't have the chance to take any. I really like your three good detail
Thanks Simon, you have to act a little surreptitiously ;) but TBH I've never seen a bat react to a flash.

Nice tryp... trip... three shot group!
They work well together, and I particularly like 1 and 3 as standalone images.
Thanks Nick and yes I also trip up over triptych :D

Week 44 Underneath.

Taken underneath Honey ( 3/4 Gyr / Saker) as she was coming back to the fist.
The best deterrent bird I ever trained and flew? probably.
Sadly I had to leave her behind when I left that company, she was given to a novice to learn with.
He promptly lost her within a couple of weeks.
But with the skills I had taught her ( yes they need to be trained to hunt) I'm sure she would survive on her own.

IMG_4949.jpg

And another

IMG_4941.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely image, really well captured and great for the theme

Your image of the Virginia Creeper for Red caught my eye, Chris - such lovely colours and light. That first image of Honey is another eye-catcher because of the angle and her lovely colours and markings. Shame you had to part ways but hopefully she is out there somewhere using the skills you taught her.

Lovely image, really well captured and great for the theme
Thanks Jim :)
Your image of the Virginia Creeper for Red caught my eye, Chris - such lovely colours and light. That first image of Honey is another eye-catcher because of the angle and her lovely colours and markings. Shame you had to part ways but hopefully she is out there somewhere using the skills you taught her.
Thanks for both comments Andrea.
She was / is quite pale for a Gyr x Saker hence the name :)

That's an awesome shot! superb detail. What a fabulous bird!

Great idea for the theme ;) and fabulous detail in that first shot.

Very sad that they didn't let you buy her, and here's hoping she survived on her own when she escaped. Perhaps she was looking for you?

That's an awesome shot! superb detail. What a fabulous bird!
Thanks Simon :)
Great idea for the theme ;) and fabulous detail in that first shot.

Very sad that they didn't let you buy her, and here's hoping she survived on her own when she escaped. Perhaps she was looking for you?
Thanks Bee, :) they do occasionally come looking if they get disorientated. ( chased something out of sight) Hence they are ( should be) not only trained to the lure, but also a whistle.
Maybe they can't see the lure, but the chances are they will hear the whistle.

I also used to train mine to return to the block, as well as the fist, I just chased one little sod ( Male peregrine) round in circles for about an hour, went back to the 4x4 for something and there it was sitting on the block next to it.

Another time it went awol, ( it was a bit of a bugger at times) it started chucking it down, I went for cover in the truck, as I knew it would be holed up somewhere
till the rain passed, and there it was sat on a front tyre hiding under the wheel arch ...
Characters each and every one :)

They're both great, but that first shot is really amazing.
Thanks Kell. :)

What a beautiful creature!

The body position in the first shot is great. I love the way the light picks out the detail.

What a beautiful creature!

The body position in the first shot is great. I love the way the light picks out the detail.
Thanks Nick :)

Thanks Bee, :) they do occasionally come looking if they get disorientated. ( chased something out of sight) Hence they are ( should be) not only trained to the lure, but also a whistle.
Maybe they can't see the lure, but the chances are they will hear the whistle.

I also used to train mine to return to the block, as well as the fist, I just chased one little sod ( Male peregrine) round in circles for about an hour, went back to the 4x4 for something and there it was sitting on the block next to it.

Another time it went awol, ( it was a bit of a bugger at times) it started chucking it down, I went for cover in the truck, as I knew it would be holed up somewhere
till the rain passed, and there it was sat on a front tyre hiding under the wheel arch ...
Characters each and every one :)
that made me chuckle I love watching the birds at the Hawk Conservancy - I’m always amazed that birds can be trained as they are. One day the naughty kestrel insisted on sitting on its handlers head.
Your mentioning block - I wonder if that where the saying ‘I’ll knock your block off’ comes from - or is that just a Midlands saying?

Your mentioning block - I wonder if that where the saying ‘I’ll knock your block off’ comes from - or is that just a Midlands saying?
Lots of sayings have their roots in falconry, but I've never heard that one in connection with falconry.
I know the saying but always assumed that it ( block) was a different way of saying head.
As in "block head". Meaning someone that wasn't too bright.

The first shot is beautiful.. as is Honey. What a fantastic job too!

Both pictures are lovely, such a shame you couldn't buy her but I'm sure she's fine.
Cheers Simon,
As far as I know she was never recovered. But I have every confidence in her ability to survive

Week 45 Snappers Choice & composite tech ..
A pushme pullyou...

Untitled-1.jpg

Week 46 Back of ..
The back of a Chimp against the back wall of the monkey house

178c.jpg

Week 47 Culture.
Cattle are considered sacred in some culture(s)

026a.jpg

Some nice animal shots there, and the campsite is nicely done!

Cheers Allan :)

Thanks Pete, I actually tried to buy her when I left, but they knew how good she was and wouldn't part with her..

Didn't do them a whole lot of good in the end though, since they lost the bird anyway. Hope she can manage in the wild with the tethers on.

Didn't do them a whole lot of good in the end though, since they lost the bird anyway.
Yep very true.
Hope she can manage in the wild with the tethers on.
I've no idea if she was flown with them on or not.
If they are traditional button jesses they'll get pulled out fairly quickly,
If they are the thin "permanent" flying jesses as per the picture, they'll get chewed off fairly quickly ...

I've no idea if she was flown with them on or not.
If they are traditional button jesses they'll get pulled out fairly quickly,
If they are the thin "permanent" flying jesses as per the picture, they'll get chewed off fairly quickly ...

I'm very glad to hear that, I'd hate to think the bird could get snagged on something.

Nice critter pix!

I wann go to this campsite! :D

The angle of the chimp is perfect, and the expression coupled with the imposing feeling of the wall makes it speak.

I really like the eye contact in the bison shot, sacred in the many cultures that it has kept clothed and fed.

The angle of the chimp is perfect, and the expression coupled with the imposing feeling of the wall makes it speak.

I really like the eye contact in the bison shot,
Cheers Nick
that it has kept clothed and fed.
I didn't know about the clothes thing though

Nice shots for “back” and “culture“ good thought Process about the cattle

Back