weekly Cobra's epic fail for 2015, week 52 A Christmas shoe horn and done :)

The image speaks for itself. Great composition, lighting brilliant. No crit. Would love for you to confirm if this was an actual hatching or not? Or am I sounding stupid for asking...has it already been confirmed?

I love, love the way the chick is stretching almost gasping for air. If I'd say anything, I think the comedy element removes a bit of the drama from the shot...although it's all about the feel you are trying to achieve so absolutely no crit on this aspect.

Love it. :)

Hi Chris

cracking shot....edit loosing the grey circles is much better , nothing to crit....:clap::clap:

Have to ask....how long did you have to sit & watch to know that egg was about to crack cos I'm thinking you have wayyyyyy to much time on your hands :D

I can see this being a mega thread......you're feinting about it being an epic failure :rolleyes:

Hi Chris

Fragile - Oh my, what can I say, just love that photo, you know you should take this picture capturing malarkey up as a hobby, I didn't see any patches while on my tablet last night, but now on my PC I can, I can crit the edited shot, beautifully set up and great lighting - cracking shot :clap:

Simply stunning.
Shot of the week without a doubt.

WOW!

As well as making me smile, this is just an unbelievably good shot for me. The lighting on the chick & egg is just superb. Glossy surface works oh so well with the reflections (might just clone out that tiny one at the bottom of the frame though).

Frankly impossible to add any other crit as it's so close to perfect! Possibly the image of the 52 for me so far - from anyone - although there have been some amazing other shots. Genuinely wonderful! :woot::notworthy:

WOW! thanks guys I really appreciate all your you kind words (y)
I think I'd better quit now TBH, while I'm in front :D

Great shot, nothing I can really offer in the way of feedback.:clap::clap:
Thanks John :)

Wow Chris, cracking entry this week. How did you know when it was going to hatch though? It works really well on the black. As for the text, I'd expect nothing less from you ;)
Cheers Mike Much appreciated (y)
Yvonne calls me Dr do(very)little as I seem to be able to get animals to do stuff on cue :D

The image speaks for itself. Great composition, lighting brilliant. No crit. Would love for you to confirm if this was an actual hatching or not? Or am I sounding stupid for asking...has it already been confirmed?
I love, love the way the chick is stretching almost gasping for air. If I'd say anything, I think the comedy element removes a bit of the drama from the shot...although it's all about the feel you are trying to achieve so absolutely no crit on this aspect.
Love it. :)
I'm glad you appreciate the comedy element, Jimmy, I like to try and keep stuff light hearted :)

Fragile
WoW.. this has to be the best shot for the theme i have seen so far.
Thanks Darren :)

WHOOOOOOAAAAAAAA!! Hang right on there, is that really a photo by Mr Gob Shot? Has t be said Chris, you really do have hidden depths [a bit like drains], that is a stonking photo!!
You mean I have a filthy mind? that's OK I can live with that :D
Thanks Yvonne (And I still managed to sneak in a gob shot :D )

Hi Chris
cracking shot....edit loosing the grey circles is much better , nothing to crit....:clap::clap:
Have to ask....how long did you have to sit & watch to know that egg was about to crack cos I'm thinking you have wayyyyyy to much time on your hands :D I can see this being a mega thread......you're feinting about it being an epic failure :rolleyes:
Way too much time on my hands? It certainly looks like it, doesn't it? :D
Eggs "pip" way before the actual hatch, so you do get advanced warning ;)
Thanks Lynne :)

Hi Chris
Fragile - Oh my, what can I say, just love that photo, you know you should take this picture capturing malarkey up as a hobby, I didn't see any patches while on my tablet last night, but now on my PC I can, I can crit the edited shot, beautifully set up and great lighting - cracking shot :clap:
Cheers Dean, much appreciated
As for taking it up for a hobby? Maybe :D

Simply stunning.
Shot of the week without a doubt.
Thank you kindly Simon :)

Fragile - cracking shot, enough said!
;)
Thanks Hazel :)

WOW!
As well as making me smile, this is just an unbelievably good shot for me. The lighting on the chick & egg is just superb. Glossy surface works oh so well with the reflections (might just clone out that tiny one at the bottom of the frame though).
Frankly impossible to add any other crit as it's so close to perfect! Possibly the image of the 52 for me so far - from anyone - although there have been some amazing other shots. Genuinely wonderful! :woot::notworthy:
I really appreciate that Paul, and everyone else that has taken the time to drop by,
and post such wonderful comments.
Many of whom, who's work I admire, and aspire to,
so this is praise indeed from my peers (y)

TBH it was meant more as a comedy shot, but it seemed to "work" better than I ever imagined !

Last edited:
I knew this one would be the death knell,
I can't remember if I said I was not over impressed with the theme this week :(

Anyhow lets hope tomorrows is better :D

In true Blue Peter Style, here's one I made earlier,
plus one within "the spirit".
Both crap but at least I posted (y)

View attachment 29203

View attachment 29204

Well as you say Chris at least you posted, I like them :p. I think the second image would be great if that tree was not hiding the church and there was a bit more interest in the sky.
Sky, check, tree, check, church, check.
Something for everyone :D
Thanks for dropping by Mandy, (y)
At least it Friday maybe something better will turn up this week Eh? ;)

I love fragile!! Love love love it! Bless the little thing coming into the world.
Scenic - done! They might be old ones but you know they do work.
Onwards to week 4!! Woot!
Thanks for the kind comments, Alex :)

(BTW the low light shoot was an archived one,
the Church was a new one)

Love #1 but the tree is very tight to the top of the frame in #2. Maybe you could have lost some of the grass at the bottom? :coat:

Love it ... evergreen tree and deciduous .... looks like January :exit:

Hiya, well as Mandy says, at least you've posted, and not one, but two. It is a bit of a shame about that tree though :)

Love it ... evergreen tree and deciduous .... looks like January :exit:
I have a feeling it may just have been that ;)

Hiya, well as Mandy says, at least you've posted, and not one, but two. It is a bit of a shame about that tree though :)
Cheers Lorraine :)
Now its weird I have a few without the tree, and I thought it looked more scenic with it.
general consensus say's I was wrong :)
Oh well onwards and upwards :D

View attachment 29261

No1 for me. love the starbursts in the lights. As per previous comments the tree distracts from the church which is distracting, but it is a matter of personal opinion. Second pic of church (y)

No1 for me. love the starbursts in the lights. As per previous comments the tree distracts from the church which is distracting, but it is a matter of personal opinion. Second pic of church (y)
Thanks Mandy, I appreciate the feedback :)

You did it!!! And survived ;)
I really like the first one although cityscapes aren't really my thing.

I like number two. Yes the tree is in the way but it does add a little interest. Also try playing with the clarity and contrast to bring out some textures in the stone work.

The third one is loads better. I like the shadows on the grass that make what would've just been boring grass interesting. Yes you still have the same blank sky but it doesnt matter because of the way the church fills the top of the frame. Being picky it could do with being a little wider IMHO and including the rest of the tree on the right.

You did it!!! And survived ;)
I really like the first one although cityscapes aren't really my thing.

I like number two. Yes the tree is in the way but it does add a little interest. Also try playing with the clarity and contrast to bring out some textures in the stone work.

The third one is loads better. I like the shadows on the grass that make what would've just been boring grass interesting. Yes you still have the same blank sky but it doesnt matter because of the way the church fills the top of the frame. Being picky it could do with being a little wider IMHO and including the rest of the tree on the right.
I tried to bring out a little more in the stone work, but it didn't really work,
due to the shadows,
Oh well I never was any good at that as I said :D
#3 that's full frame (well end to end anyway) I'm afraid, nothing to play with.

Cheers Mike, I appreciate the feed back (y)

A theme much more to my liking, Especially as I was heading to the zoo anyway,
yet another excuse to slide in a couple of big cat shots. (y)
Paul Simon wrote:-
Old friends, old friends sat on their park bench like bookends.....
........ winter companions...

Ok so not a Park bench in sight, but certainly winter companions,
comfortable with each other's company.

IMG_6305
by Chris-the-falconer, on Flickr

Or maybe just looking out for each other?

IMG_6304
by Chris-the-falconer, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi, either one works for me though I slightly prefer the eyes open one, only crit the WB looks off to me

Yep either one for me, slightly more drawn to the eyes open shot.

Hi, either one works for me though I slightly prefer the eyes open one, only crit the WB looks off to me
Thanks Allen, :)
The WB looks OK to me. However it is slightly warm as that was taken in the Golden hour,
the low sun-light hits Cheetah pen full on. And really does reflect off their coats.

Yep either one for me, slightly more drawn to the eyes open shot.
Thanks Perry :)
"Eyes open" wins it by the looks of it in that case. (y)

I'm an eyes open girl too! :)
:D

Thanks Michalene :)

Very nice and fits the theme puuuurfectly. Do cheetahs purr?
I like both shoots but the eyes open one is my preferred.

Last edited:
Good work Chris(y)
I think I am going to buck the trend here and go for the eyes closed shot.
i particularly like the warm lighting in the shots, eyes closed additionally as the trees in the background are more diffused than the first one.

Back