weekly Cobra's epic fail for 2015, week 52 A Christmas shoe horn and done :)

Cheers Mike, thanks for your observations (y)
No point in scrubbing the block as she messes it up as soon as she eats on it,
once the trainings done it'll get a going over.
The block is set at a slight angle deliberately, to make the bird perch on the edge,
as they would do on a rock face, as you can see that was a huge success :D
But she did return once she'd eaten.
(yes I know not very photogenic though)

The building behind me is a house,that's what happens when you shove a 2.8 lens in a birds face :D
Don't forget their eye sight is at least 10x better than ours, and this is reflected [sic] in the catch lights too.

Great capture on the first image, although as previously said, I think the second one is a bit more.... elegant :)
Cheers Steven, (y) Although the linked thread does say (not so) elegant.
It was a kind of Yin and yang moment TBH :)

Very nice and fits the theme puuuurfectly. Do cheetahs purr?
I like both shoots but the eyes open one is my preferred.

Just seen a David Attenborough programme on Watch and it featured a Cheetah (BTW, top speed is 58mph rather than the oft quoted 71). It was purring. Mrs Jax wants one!!! (And that Tiger cub on another thread.)

Will have to look at the rest of the pages and maybe offer some crit. (Eyes closed for me - cats spend a huge majority of the day asleep!)

Just seen a David Attenborough programme on Watch and it featured a Cheetah (BTW, top speed is 58mph rather than the oft quoted 71).
I believe the "record" was recorded in the early 60's obviously the equipment would have been pretty basic, or even a jeep type thing driving along side.
I guess technology has caught up and they are able to more accurately measure speed these days.

Not the most elegant of eaters :eek: , now if she was holding a napkin to her lips that would have been more elegant :LOL:

#2 for me, fab shot :clap::clap::clap:

Love that second shot Chris, them eyes are Grrrreat !!!
Cheers Dean (y)
Not the most elegant of eaters :eek: , now if she was holding a napkin to her lips that would have been more elegant :LOL:

#2 for me, fab shot :clap::clap::clap:
Thanks Jill,
Now why didn't I think to add a napkin ? good idea that :D

Hi, second one for me beautiful bird and superbly sharp where it needs to be

Prefer the second one for Elegant but both very good captures

Elegant - what a beautiful bird, the first image I find the dirty perch a bit of a distraction. The second image works much better for me the detail is great.
Thanks Mandy, (y) and with hindsight I should have given it a bit of a scrub shouldn't I?.
Maybe that's one for a re-shoot ;)

Nothing i can say that hasn't been said already. if you did clean the perch would the bird still land on there??? Still here then? ;)

Nothing i can say that hasn't been said already. if you did clean the perch would the bird still land on there??? Still here then? ;)
Thanks Mandy,
She probably wouldn't recognise the "place" TBH :D

And yep I'm still hanging on by a thread (y)

For goodness Saker, Another two Gyr-eat images there Mr C, I'd say you've Clawed it with #2 (y)
I can see your very Talon-ted at photography . :exit::p

She certainly is a beauty Chris.
Whilst the second shot is the more "elegant" of the two, she's just so pretty it's lovely to see all of her in the first :)

For goodness Saker, Another two Gyr-eat images there Mr C, I'd say you've Clawed it with #2 (y)
I can see your very Talon-ted at photography . :exit::p
OMG! I've created a monster! :D
Cheers Barney (y)

She certainly is a beauty Chris.
Whilst the second shot is the more "elegant" of the two, she's just so pretty it's lovely to see all of her in the first :)
Thanks Ruth :) The first one was meant to be tongue in cheek TBH (or should that be grub in gob? :D )
Has to be number 2 for me.
A fantastic shot...
Thanks Darren (y)

OK so that wasn't too terrible,
Watery, Hydroponics, growing things without soil. (#1)
you need to also Erm, water them (#2)
And as I've not figured out how to get a gob shot from a plant yet, I'll go for plan "B"
That is, yet another song title or Lyric. (#3)

Untitled-1a
by Chris-the-falconer, on Flickr

Hi Chris, I like the idea and it looks as though you had some fun. My only criticism, is that it looks a little too dark, even full size on flickr I found hard to make out the detail, what I can see looks nice and sharp though :)

Hi Chris, I like the idea and it looks as though you had some fun. My only criticism, is that it looks a little too dark, even full size on flickr I found hard to make out the detail, what I can see looks nice and sharp though :)
Cheers Chris, (y)
It was supposed to be a little on the "low key" side, but the detail is there for me.
Maybe my monitor is a little brighter than yours?
It'll be interesting to see what other people think.

I like the concept and broadly the execution - the only things i'd say are that a) i'd prefer to have a constant angle of view rather than 3 subtly different, and b) the middle one is too close to the bottom edge - imo it would have been better set back thus with more reflection (as per the one on the left)

I like the concept and broadly the execution - the only things i'd say are that a) i'd prefer to have a constant angle of view rather than 3 subtly different, and b) the middle one is too close to the bottom edge - imo it would have been better set back thus with more reflection (as per the one on the left)
It was deliberately bought forward, well that is cropped tighter to show the water drops, but everyone to their own (y)

It was deliberately bought forward, well that is cropped tighter to show the water drops, but everyone to their own (y)

My thinking was that i wanted to see the water drops in the reflection as well ;)

Cheers Chris, (y)
It was supposed to be a little on the "low key" side, but the detail is there for me.
Maybe my monitor is a little brighter than yours?
It'll be interesting to see what other people think.

The detail I can see looks good. I wonder if my screens need re-calibrating:(

All three have their own merits Chris, and hydroponics certainly fits the theme, but the second has to be my favourite.
The details in the roots and the water droplets push that one to the top of the pile. :)

The detail I can see looks good. I wonder if my screens need re-calibrating:(
With different comments around the thread, on different images, it does seem that some monitors are darker / brighter than others.

All three have their own merits Chris, and hydroponics certainly fits the theme, but the second has to be my favourite.
The details in the roots and the water droplets push that one to the top of the pile. :)
Cheers Ruth glad you like it (y)

Great idea Cobra

Like the low key, now issues with detail.. very clear and not to dark on my screen.
Like the added water drops.
Cheers Darren (y)
The drops were quite hit and miss TBH, ( but finally "hit" :D )
They were from a syringe held a few inches above the glass,
no photo- trigger just count and fire away :D

good idea and lovely shots - they could even fit into elegant as well. They look fine on my monitor - very crisp and plenty of detail. My only one (very) small niggle is I'm not sure about the smoke (on the water?) drifting off in the third image - but I feel bad saying that cos I don't think I could pull shots like that off

Last edited:
good idea and lovely shots - they could even fit into elegant as well. They look fine on my monitor - very crisp and plenty of detail. My only one (very) small niggle is I'm not sure about the smoke (?) drifting off in the third image - but I feel bad saying that cos I don't think I could pull shots like that off
Cheers Lorraine (y)
And don't feel bad at all :)
The smoke was my tongue in cheek addition...
Smoke on the water (a Deep purple track if you didn't know)
I suppose I could have cloned that out and just left it in and around the glass?

Well Well Well Mr Snake.....very impressive Water images...

Brilliant idea & well executed......partic the last with the added Smoke ( what a song :D ) Much better viewed big big big on flickr...plenty of detail in the leaves , roots & smoke & I like the subtle frames within the main frame :clap:

detail gets a little less on the glasses stem's , not sure why that would be ? My OCD would like the LH & RH glasses to be positioned the same in their frames ........

Companions......Beautiful portrait of a beautiful bird....can't really say anything else :clap:

Back