Darkslinger's 52 Week Challenge - 2022

Week #44 - Autumnal

We went to Abbotsford yesterday to visit my father-in-law and I took the dogs out to the Bateman and Willband Creek parks. Of course, I took my camera with me... :D

I played around with some shots of the creek but wasn't happy with final results:
Nov 04-22-3.jpg

Then I played with some ICM shots:
Nov 04-22-7.jpg

And a combined ICM and static shot of one of the bridges:
Nov 04-22-8.jpg

I rather liked this silhouette shot of the Canada geese flying by:
Nov 04-22-12.jpg

But ultimately, thought that this shot captured the autumnal feel of the park:

Nov 04-22-11.jpg

Nice images and I prefer your chosen one. It has great atmosphere and does capture the season well.

There's a dreamy end of season feel to this. What look like rain laden clouds approaching add to the atmosphere.
Those power lines would be tricky to clone out.

Nice images and I prefer your chosen one. It has great atmosphere and does capture the season well.
Thanks Jim.

There's a dreamy end of season feel to this. What look like rain laden clouds approaching add to the atmosphere.
Those power lines would be tricky to clone out.
Thank you Peter, I rarely worry about manmade artifacts in my images. I didn't even notice the power lines until now.

Great set as usual Bill (though personally not a fan of ICM). I like the geese shot, but you're chosen shot is the one for me - peaceful and yet moody at the same time. Shame about the power lines, but not sure there's anything you could have done about that without losing the shot, and as Peter says would be darned hard to clone out.

Last edited:
Great set as usual Bill (though personally not a fan of ICM). I like the geese shot, but you're chosen shot is the one for me - peaceful and yet moody at the same time. Shame about the power lines, but not sure there's anything you could have done about that without losing the shot, and as Peter says would be darned hard to clone out.
Thanks Simon.

Week #45 - Snapper's Choice & Tech

It's been a while since I was able to get out and about downtown but my morning was free so I did a bit of a walkabout...

Right off, I started with a bit of "classic" street photography. I liked how it turned out with this b&w preset:

Nov 13-22-3.jpg

Then there was this reflection of Hotel Vancouver:
Nov 13-22-4.jpg

Just down the street I liked how the sun was shining through the overhead glass to create these dark leading lines. I shot a few from here but I liked how these two turned out the best:

Nov 13-22-5.jpgNov 13-22.jpg

Just down from there in the plaza the sun was really bright and there were metal tables and chairs set up:
Nov 13-22-7.jpg

I finely got to play with some more creative take opportunities near the end of my wake. There was the front of the downtown Westside Church. This is 9 images from different positions across the street:
Nov 13-22-15.jpg

And my last images of the morning. This is the incoming Skytrain at Waterfront Station. 8 images taken as the train came towards me and blended in Photoshop. I did a colour version but I really liked how the b&w turned out with the leading lines taking the viewer into the image.

Nov 13-22-14.jpg

Last edited:
All good shots. I do like the "Witche's Hat". The reflections shot is also appealing.

A nice set, I think my favourite is the reflection of the Hotel Vancouver, the colours and light are really nice and I like the way the windows distort the reflection randomly.

All good shots. I do like the "Witche's Hat". The reflections shot is also appealing.
Thanks Donal, I'm still laughing about the "witches has"...

A nice set, I think my favourite is the reflection of the Hotel Vancouver, the colours and light are really nice and I like the way the windows distort the reflection randomly.
Thanks Jim, I had hoped to get a lower shot with someone walking by but it was Sunday and downtown was pretty quiet.

Autumnal. Your chosen one for me too as I like the dark and moody sky
Snappers. A great set of images but I am leaning towards the reflections due to the colour and layering.

Great set, both multiple exp shots work very well.
Thanks Nick

They are all great shots it would be very difficult to select one to submit if it was me. Well done!
Thank you Simon

Autumnal. Your chosen one for me too as I like the dark and moody sky
Snappers. A great set of images but I am leaning towards the reflections due to the colour and layering.
Thank you Helen, I liked the Autumnal shot for the same reason. It's funny how many liked the reflections shot, it was probably my least favourite image of the set.

An excellent set Bill.
The reflections appeals as does the leading lines with the Wagner's lorry.
Thanks Peter, I laughed because at first I thought that a "wagner's lorry" was something from your neck of the woods until I had a re-look at the shot... :D

Great set of images for Snapper's choice. I love your chosen shot. It's a great technique, which I hadn't expected to work with moving subjects.

I'm also drawn to the table and chairs though.
Thanks Kell. The table and chairs was one of three quick shots I took as I walked through the plaza. The long shadows really grabbed my attention.

Week #46 - (Immanent) Destruction

House bound this week due to an inevitable bout with our friend COVID...it finally got me...

Took this shoehorn at the last minute...you might say that I was on "the egg of destruction" (cue the music! cue Barry McGuire!)

egg.jpg

That made me laugh... I've had that song as a earworm all week thanks to TP!!
Nicely composed and lit.. works well in mono too.
Hope you're on the mend and clear soon.

Sorry to hear you finally got it. I've had it fairly recently too. I hope you're not too unwell with it.

Great shot for destruction. I love the viewpoint and composition.

I hope you feel better soon.

I hope you recover quickly from it, I managed to catch it a few months ago despite not getting it during the time I was working in critical care during the height of it all.

I really love the composition for your picture and the black and white really adds to it too. I almost feel quite sorry for the egg!

Meets the the and well done for doing this with COVID.
Good bokeh too.
Thanks Peter, kind of a last minute image.

That made me laugh... I've had that song as a earworm all week thanks to TP!!
Nicely composed and lit.. works well in mono too.
Hope you're on the mend and clear soon.
You weren't the only one with an earworm Helen, I actually had the song playing as I processed the image and was humming it to myself all week...

Nicely done Bill.
Hope you're OK and get well soon!
Thanks Simon, all good now!

Sorry to hear you finally got it. I've had it fairly recently too. I hope you're not too unwell with it.

Great shot for destruction. I love the viewpoint and composition.

I hope you feel better soon.
Thanks Bebop, only lasted about a week but was pretty bad while it was here.

I hope you recover quickly from it, I managed to catch it a few months ago despite not getting it during the time I was working in critical care during the height of it all.

I really love the composition for your picture and the black and white really adds to it too. I almost feel quite sorry for the egg!
Thank you Simon, I survived and so did the egg! (at least until it made it to the frying pan...)

Week #47 - Ornamental

Catching up with last weeks theme. All taken in the right time period but I didn't have a chance to post them. These were all taken at a church and a nearby mausoleum.

Some ornamental stained glass:

Dec 29-22-27.jpg

And while the windows on the dome are functional, the decorative elements are definitely ornamental:

Dec 29-22-16.jpg

But ultimately I liked how this ornamental lantern in the church garden turned out:

Dec 29-22.jpg

Last edited:
Week #48- Curves

Just got back from San Jose (where the ornamental images were taken) and took some time to do a short walk around New Westminster (a suburb of Vancouver right across the river from where I live). I decided to go all black and white for this weeks theme, just to emphasize the shapes without the distraction of colour;

I liked how the entry ramp for this parkade looked contrasted with the straight lampposts and with the Patulla bridge in the background:

Dec 29-22-28.jpg

And these, ever-present bike racks always grab my eye when I'm looking for more graphic shapes:

Dec 29-22-30.jpg

But as I climbed the stairs of the overpass to the New West Quay market the light and the contrast coupled with the person in front of me made for a striking image: The strong sun kind of blows out the highlights a bit but I'm good with the final result.

Dec 29-22-32.jpg

Last edited:
I quite like the first one
could be titled 3 bridges

All fit the bill, Bill :D ... for ornamental and curves. I very much like that you've included a person in the arches, but I also really like the road - well spotted.

Glad to hear you've recovered.

Nice set Bill. The chosen shot fits "leading lines" too :)

Brilliant set of pictures there, the one you have chosen works really well and the lower angle really makes the image stand out.

Ornament: I rather like the stained glass with it's lovely light and shadow.
Curves: Again, I prefer the bike racks... simple but very effective for me.

Back