weekly Delta Skies 2014 TP52 - Week 51 Extravagant & Week 52 Support (that's 2014 done)

Hi, Peter, Attached is a belter. The red really pops and the detail is bang on for me.

Energy, I've said it before and I'll day it again, I'm such a fan of this genre. Never really see to be in the right place at the right time to get any decent ones myselft great perspective and the B&W is the only to go. Reminds me of Michael's submission.

Round, very seasonal and technically a good submission. I thought you'd used OCF on the mistletoe?

Good show.

Cheers.

Peter... your photos are just getting better and better.

I LOVE attached. It's a bit saucy (a good thing!) but still subtle and very "arty", helped by some lovely lighting. I'm assuming they're holdups rather than pyjamas?? :clap:

Energy is another super shot - I like this perspective and you've done it very well. No crit possible.

Round - a nice shot, perhaps not up to the exceptional standards of your others - not because it's in any bad, just not quite as outstanding! (I find the light a touch flat on the berries, given they're such a pale colour... difficult one - maybe strong but soft side lighting with a touch of on axis fill would give a bit more definition?)

Hi Peter
Attached - crikey , nearly a NSFW on the 52s :eek: Good detail in the materials and the red really pops. Like the angle and the fall off of focus thro the lace.

Energy - inspired shot - great angle and really well handled exposure. (y) Like an explosion as @Dark Knight says. Perhaps that small bit of light at the RHS side of tower could go but that is ultra picky

Round - all the work seems to have paid off with a well balanced shot - good detail in the mistletoe esp the green, and a good bokeh but with enough detail for the viewer to make out what is in the background. The berries look a touch pink but maybe that is what they were.

Hi Peter ...super shot for attached ...tastefully sexy, very nice.

Energy ...I love these type of shots ...great perspective and the black and white is perfect, it conveys a dark industrial mood into the image.

Round ... excellent choice for the theme and really appropriate for the time of year.

Hi Peter

Attached >>> looks like female flesh, racy, lacy pyjamas ... call me naive but I can't quite figure it out ... oh the intrigue. Nice work, DoF is narrow (y)

Round >>> nice light, nice Dof, excellent detail, seasonal too. (y)

Energy >>> a stonker. "10 second exposure using the Big Stopper" ... powerful stuff :clap:
Thanks David. Definitely naive - those aren't pyjamas ;)

Blimey... here we go again , another catch up from me :D

Attached - Where do I start... I know you said you were going to do a self portrait but THIS i was not expecting... as per David I think I can see fine hair but feel a bit too uneasy squinting at the screen with Mrs DK with me :cautious:

Lovely colour that Red, the DoF makes it stand out very nicely against the black lace (y)

Energy - Wow that looks impressive, that angle really shows off the size of that chimney, the long exposure works really well for the smoke, looks like an explosion out of the top :)

Round - Ahhhh I see where your going with this now... Mistletoe, Sarah in stockings and suspenders - Say no more :whistle:

A real nice festive shot, enough detail in the background to make out the tree/tinsel, well balanced lighting of the tree and
mistletoe - very nice :thumbs again:
Cheers Dean. It's not a selfie you'll be glad to know ;). I also have to say that's not a chimney - it's a cooling tower :p. And it's not smoke - it's water vapour :p. Sorry my father worked in power stations almost all his working life so I had it drilled in to me. A bit like light bulbs are not bulbs - they are things that grow in the ground LOL Maybe I'm just turning into my father.:whistle:

Hi, Peter, Attached is a belter. The red really pops and the detail is bang on for me.

Energy, I've said it before and I'll day it again, I'm such a fan of this genre. Never really see to be in the right place at the right time to get any decent ones myselft great perspective and the B&W is the only to go. Reminds me of Michael's submission.

Round, very seasonal and technically a good submission. I thought you'd used OCF on the mistletoe?

Good show.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy. Off to see Michael's Energy submission. The lighting on the mistletoe was off camera but it wasn't a flash. I was using one of these. They are designed for video but are excellent for macro work.

Peter... your photos are just getting better and better.

I LOVE attached. It's a bit saucy (a good thing!) but still subtle and very "arty", helped by some lovely lighting. I'm assuming they're holdups rather than pyjamas?? :clap:

Energy is another super shot - I like this perspective and you've done it very well. No crit possible.

Round - a nice shot, perhaps not up to the exceptional standards of your others - not because it's in any bad, just not quite as outstanding! (I find the light a touch flat on the berries, given they're such a pale colour... difficult one - maybe strong but soft side lighting with a touch of on axis fill would give a bit more definition?)
Many thanks for the comments Paul. Yeah not pyjamas. I agree about the round. I didn't quite get what I was after but felt it was close enough. I should have waited for daylight hours of the weekend rather than try it during the evening.

Hi Peter
Attached - crikey , nearly a NSFW on the 52s :eek: Good detail in the materials and the red really pops. Like the angle and the fall off of focus thro the lace.

Energy - inspired shot - great angle and really well handled exposure. (y) Like an explosion as @Dark Knight says. Perhaps that small bit of light at the RHS side of tower could go but that is ultra picky

Round - all the work seems to have paid off with a well balanced shot - good detail in the mistletoe esp the green, and a good bokeh but with enough detail for the viewer to make out what is in the background. The berries look a touch pink but maybe that is what they were.
Thanks Alan. Apologies for not putting NSFW if it caused any offence particularly if the boss was looking over your shoulder. Now you've said it those berries do look a little pink. which should be easy to fix. The difficulty was not blowing the detail.

Hi Peter ...super shot for attached ...tastefully sexy, very nice.

Energy ...I love these type of shots ...great perspective and the black and white is perfect, it conveys a dark industrial mood into the image.

Round ... excellent choice for the theme and really appropriate for the time of year.
Thanks for the comments Susie.

Last edited:
Hi Peter, again three really nice pics all very different
Attached, the red really jumps out, its an unusual view or rather not the view you would expect, very god indeed
Energy, is similar to some others you did a few weeks ago which I thought were excellent this is no exception, you do this type of architectural shot so well
Round, the mistletoe really stands out you have isolated it from the BG perfectly

Thanks Alan. Apologies for not putting NSFW if it caused any offence particularly if the boss was looking over your shoulder. Now you've said it those berries do look a little pink. which should be easy to fix. The difficulty was not blowing the detail.

No problems Peter _ I was trying to be ironic. And anyway the boss was not looking over my shoulder. She was out shopping :)

Yep. Three corkers.

I'm too late to do any selfie cracks. :( so just comments on the lovely red, shallow dof, and just enough to show what it is but no more.

Cooling tower is a great view and so suitable for thet theme. Love the use of the LE and the conversion pulling the sky really dark to work with the vapour. Amazed you can get right up to the base of an active tower??

Mistletoe is also super. Level of oofness on the tree is spot on, and super sharp on the mistletoe.

HI Peter

I love your B&W images & Energy is no exception...cracking POV & it does indeed look like an explosion has occurred :clap:
I don't live far from Ferrybridge Power station & really want to get some shots , partic sunrise / sunset.......your image makes it appear that access is very good ? Is there a partic place to park up ? Any info would be much appreciated if you don't mind @Delta Skies

Round......love the DOF , enough detail in the tree top know what it it but not detract from the mistletoe :clap: But I have to admit I'm not keen on the lighting of said mistletoe , seems rather harsh ( not your usual standard ) ? Those lights that you've too are fascinating though, thinking about a ring flash but those lights of your look to give you more control ?

Attached.....well lit , perfect focus , the red really pops from the screen ...top idea for the theme & well done to Sarah for modelling for you :)

Last edited:
Cheers Dean. It's not a selfie you'll be glad to know ;). I also have to say that's not a chimney - it's a cooling tower :p. And it's not smoke - it's water vapour :p. Sorry my father worked in power stations almost all his working life so I had it drilled in to me. A bit like light bulbs are not bulbs - they are things that grow in the ground LOL Maybe I'm just turning into my father.:whistle:.....
LOL... well that's told me :LOL:

Hi Peter, again three really nice pics all very different
Attached, the red really jumps out, its an unusual view or rather not the view you would expect, very god indeed
Energy, is similar to some others you did a few weeks ago which I thought were excellent this is no exception, you do this type of architectural shot so well
Round, the mistletoe really stands out you have isolated it from the BG perfectly
Thanks Allan especially the comments re: architectural shots. I'm really getting into B&W at the moment and enjoy these.

No problems Peter _ I was trying to be ironic. And anyway the boss was not looking over my shoulder. She was out shopping :)
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yep. Three corkers.

I'm too late to do any selfie cracks. :( so just comments on the lovely red, shallow dof, and just enough to show what it is but no more.

Cooling tower is a great view and so suitable for thet theme. Love the use of the LE and the conversion pulling the sky really dark to work with the vapour. Amazed you can get right up to the base of an active tower??

Mistletoe is also super. Level of oofness on the tree is spot on, and super sharp on the mistletoe.
Cheers Graham. We've got three power stations within 20-30 minutes but Ferrybridge is the closest and also has this tower next to the fence.

HI Peter

I love your B&W images & Energy is no exception...cracking POV & it does indeed look like an explosion has occurred :clap:
I don't live far from Ferrybridge Power station & really want to get some shots , partic sunrise / sunset.......your image makes it appear that access is very good ? Is there a partic place to park up ? Any info would be much appreciated if you don't mind @Delta Skies

Round......love the DOF , enough detail in the tree top know what it it but not detract from the mistletoe :clap: But I have to admit I'm not keen on the lighting of said mistletoe , seems rather harsh ( not your usual standard ) ? Those lights that you've too are fascinating though, thinking about a ring flash but those lights of your look to give you more control ?

Attached.....well lit , perfect focus , the red really pops from the screen ...top idea for the theme & well done to Sarah for modelling for you :)
Thanks Lynne. Who said it was Sarah ;) But then again nobody said it wasn't :exit:
The location for Ferrybridge is Kirkhaw Lane. I've not been stopped by security yet but no doubt they've clocked me on the CCTV. Each time I've gone it's been Sunday morning so maybe there's not enough on duty to bother.

LOL... well that's told me :LOL:
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I am a little late with the comments again but your last couple of images are really outstanding I don't have any crit to offer.
Many thanks Mandy

Week 50 - Nonsense

Four Candles (Fork Handles) by Delta Skies, on Flickr

Simple shot lit at 45 degrees each side with a black background which I let light drift onto to give some depth to the image.

With homage to the Two Ronnies in the hardware shop sketch. I always loved their play on words which often was complete nonsense.

Hi Peter, thats excellent, can't say more than that really no crit necessary just :clap::clap:

When it works, it works. Cracking idea and really well executed, and that's a fantastic fork :geek:

Well exposed and composed. Uber crit would just the candles being slightly on the squiff.

BG is bang on for me as well, black would not have resulted in such an impacting photograph.

Strangely enough we when shopping for candles :) today and had a chuckle at this sketch.

Cheers.

Oh Peter....thank you soooo much for posting that sketch......has me in stitches every time :)

Awesome photo as well,both in execution & relation to the theme....top work mister :clap::clap:

& thanks for the info on Ferrybridge...I can feel a trip coming on & I'll endeavour not to get arrested :)

There's some really good fun images this week, that's a great take on the theme Peter :LOL: (y)

Candles and flames look well exposed, good clean bg, good detail in the handle and a nice touch having the wax running down (y)

Hi Peter, thats excellent, can't say more than that really no crit necessary just :clap::clap:
Thanks Allan

When it works, it works. Cracking idea and really well executed, and that's a fantastic fork :geek:

Well exposed and composed. Uber crit would just the candles being slightly on the squiff.

BG is bang on for me as well, black would not have resulted in such an impacting photograph.

Strangely enough we when shopping for candles :) today and had a chuckle at this sketch.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy. The squiffness is down to Sarah and she has just said to tell you to p*** off :p:p:p. I think that might have been down to me continually going on at her to get them straight after she demanded to take over from me setting these up.

Oh Peter....thank you soooo much for posting that sketch......has me in stitches every time :)

Awesome photo as well,both in execution & relation to the theme....top work mister :clap::clap:

& thanks for the info on Ferrybridge...I can feel a trip coming on & I'll endeavour not to get arrested :)
Thanks Lynne. Don't forget there's nothing they (or even the police) can do to stop you or even delete your images if you are on public property

Nonsense - a cracking take for the theme and nice to see a video clip of one of my fav two Ronnie's sketch.
Thanks Mandy. It's my favourite sketch by a long way as well.

LOL

That sure doesn't need any explanation... what a great idea, crit as per Andy other than that, perfect mate, a great simple portrayal of a lengendry scetch :clap:
Thanks Dean

There's some really good fun images this week, that's a great take on the theme Peter :LOL: (y)

Candles and flames look well exposed, good clean bg, good detail in the handle and a nice touch having the wax running down (y)
Thanks Phil. The dripping wax was something I was after and I found easily achieved when trying to melt the bottom of each candle onto the handle.

Very nicely done ... great idea, BG and lighting .... love the glistening molten candle wax. Both the fork handle and the four candles look a bit olde worlde. :clap:

An excellent take on the theme Peter, one of my favourite sketches from the two ronnies, the picture works really well indeed, nicely executed and portrayed.
Thanks michael

Very nicely done ... great idea, BG and lighting .... love the glistening molten candle wax. Both the fork handle and the four candles look a bit olde worlde. :clap:
Thanks David. It took me a few goes before finding an old style buy anything type shop that stocked the type of candles I was after.

Big: Blooming heck Peter - The soft diaganal lines running through the frame and the positioning of the shrooms on the right third is matersful composition. Really like the ways the shrooms grow taller towards the right too. No crit whatsover and the focus stacking is perfect. color of the moss and shrooms are so vivid and crisp without being garish or overdone - Cant say enough good things about this one :clap::clap:

Cut: Jeez, I forgot just how good you are! Striking in mono and really like the high contrast and fact that there is still all the detail visible in the highlights. Also like the contrast between clean steril subject and rough cut framing. Composition again, is spot on.

Balance: Could'nt get more perfect a scene for this weeks theme. I agree a really impressive setup they have there and a good advertisement for that dealership for sure. Looks really good viewed large on flickr and the sharpness and clarity even more impressive. Really like the modern looking lines running though the floor, ceiling and platform supports. A lesson to us all in how to take a superb technically sound picture here (y)

to be continued.........

awesome idea, at my first quick look (on small phone) I thought you'd composited 4 candles onto a dining fork and that didnt work for me.

But seeing it properly is much better, great idea, and being able to see it through to completion deserves a big :clap:

Love the fact that they are all actually on the fork handle, sums up the gag perfectly.

(Compression from flickr, and/or the resizing hasn't done the transition from dark to not so dark on the BG any favours, but I imagine it's perfectly smooth on the original so not your fault. :))

Big: Blooming heck Peter - The soft diaganal lines running through the frame and the positioning of the shrooms on the right third is matersful composition. Really like the ways the shrooms grow taller towards the right too. No crit whatsover and the focus stacking is perfect. color of the moss and shrooms are so vivid and crisp without being garish or overdone - Cant say enough good things about this one :clap::clap:

Cut: Jeez, I forgot just how good you are! Striking in mono and really like the high contrast and fact that there is still all the detail visible in the highlights. Also like the contrast between clean steril subject and rough cut framing. Composition again, is spot on.

Balance: Could'nt get more perfect a scene for this weeks theme. I agree a really impressive setup they have there and a good advertisement for that dealership for sure. Looks really good viewed large on flickr and the sharpness and clarity even more impressive. Really like the modern looking lines running though the floor, ceiling and platform supports. A lesson to us all in how to take a superb technically sound picture here (y)

to be continued.........
Many thanks for the comment Jason.

awesome idea, at my first quick look (on small phone) I thought you'd composited 4 candles onto a dining fork and that didnt work for me.

But seeing it properly is much better, great idea, and being able to see it through to completion deserves a big :clap:

Love the fact that they are all actually on the fork handle, sums up the gag perfectly.

(Compression from flickr, and/or the resizing hasn't done the transition from dark to not so dark on the BG any favours, but I imagine it's perfectly smooth on the original so not your fault. :))
Thanks Graham. Yeah it looks like the transfer across from my machine hasn't done that part of the image any favours.:(

First: Love the sentiment in this picture and yes, Family definitely comes first. DOF is spot on and the bounced soft lighting works well for this subject.

Smooth: Well lit, super sharp and nicely coverted to mono - Have to agree with other on the framing though. not too sure about the empty space to the right on this one :thinking:

Attached: Love the composition - The perpendicular diaganals work so well. The red and black combination is a classic and the hint of skin tone wraps this one up nicely into a super sensual unsleazy piece (y)

Energy: Beautiful pic! The portrait orientation really reinforces the size and height of the tower. Love the whispy vapour trail too. Mono conversion is super and you've really got the measure of how to apply silver efex well

Nonsense: Instant fav on this one. Love the little seperate glowing spheres around each candle flame - brilliant. Lighiting is brill as always too (y)

Sometimes I think I should just give up with all the photoshoppery lark and just take photographs to represent the themes - If I did, you've definitely set the standard I would aspire too achieve. :clap::clap:

Last edited:
Peter... I think Jason has nailed it with his final comment: "you've set the standard I would aspire to achieve". What impresses me is not that you come up with brilliant images, but your "average" image is of such a high standard. I think we're all capable of some really decent outliers, but that's a bit like saying an infinite number of monkeys will churn out Hamlet...

Four candles / fork handles is brilliant. I think the idea is top drawer and the execution is wonderful. For me the things which really stand out in this image (aside from the super concept) are:
- The lighting on the fork handle... really well managed to show off the texture and shape of the handle, both wooden parts and metal - highlights in particular are really well handled (excuse the pun!)
- The lighting on the background... this really makes it jump out and as Andy says, so much more impactful than a simple black / cutout look.
- Your handling of the candle flames... perfect exposure balance for me between this and lighting on the rest of the subject
- I really like the subtle highlights on the candles, nearer their ends - really adds shape and texture to what can sometimes be a very flat subject

So all in all, a tremendous job! :clap:

First: Love the sentiment in this picture and yes, Family definitely comes first. DOF is spot on and the bounced soft lighting works well for this subject.

Smooth: Well lit, super sharp and nicely coverted to mono - Have to agree with other on the framing though. not too sure about the empty space to the right on this one :thinking:

Attached: Love the composition - The perpendicular diaganals work so well. The red and black combination is a classic and the hint of skin tone wraps this one up nicely into a super sensual unsleazy piece (y)

Energy: Beautiful pic! The portrait orientation really reinforces the size and height of the tower. Love the whispy vapour trail too. Mono conversion is super and you've really got the measure of how to apply silver efex well

Nonsense: Instant fav on this one. Love the little seperate glowing spheres around each candle flame - brilliant. Lighiting is brill as always too (y)

Sometimes I think I should just give up with all the photoshoppery lark and just take photographs to represent the themes - If I did, you've definitely set the standard I would aspire too achieve. :clap::clap:

Peter... I think Jason has nailed it with his final comment: "you've set the standard I would aspire to achieve". What impresses me is not that you come up with brilliant images, but your "average" image is of such a high standard. I think we're all capable of some really decent outliers, but that's a bit like saying an infinite number of monkeys will churn out Hamlet...

Four candles / fork handles is brilliant. I think the idea is top drawer and the execution is wonderful. For me the things which really stand out in this image (aside from the super concept) are:
- The lighting on the fork handle... really well managed to show off the texture and shape of the handle, both wooden parts and metal - highlights in particular are really well handled (excuse the pun!)
- The lighting on the background... this really makes it jump out and as Andy says, so much more impactful than a simple black / cutout look.
- Your handling of the candle flames... perfect exposure balance for me between this and lighting on the rest of the subject
- I really like the subtle highlights on the candles, nearer their ends - really adds shape and texture to what can sometimes be a very flat subject

Yeah, I'd agree :clap:

A great idea for the theme and a smashing image of a fork 'andle (y)

Many thanks for the catch up and kind words Jason

Many thanks Paul

Yeah, I'd agree :clap:
Cheers Andy

Hi Peter .... great composition and lighting .... a really excellent idea for the theme :clap:
Thanks Susie

Hi Peter

Nonsense - I am a bit late to this party and all meaningful comments have been made, to which I cannot add. Just a super shot, brilliant idea and cleverly carried out :clap:
Never too late Alan. Thanks.

A great idea for the theme and a smashing image of a fork 'andle (y)
Thanks Elaine

Week 51 - Extravagant

Extravagant by Delta Skies, on Flickr

I used natural light with the camera mounted on the tripod immediately above the necklace to keep everything in focus. This is proof that I can be extravagant with my presents for my wife at Christmas :love: I also couldn't resist turning it into an advertisement for the shop I got it from.

Well Peter, very nearly there... well done so far.

That is an exceptional image which is wonderfully lit. It has definition where you'd expect it and sparkles like a very sparkly thing thanks to the great lighting. I love the oval background light, althought the cynic in me wonders if it might have been added in post with a radial grad? ;)

My only other thought for images like this is whether they'd work even better on film... because of film's ability to catch so much highlight detail vs digital, would the sparkly bits be even sharper? It'd be fun to try both... I guess a digital alternative would be to underexpose by a couple of stops and ramp back up, playing with the curves as you go?

Whatever, it's a lovely shot, the text adds nicely and once again you've delivered a stonking image. Looking forward to your final 52 image this year which will hopefully be up to your usual exceptional standard - no pressure, mate ;)

Hi, Extravagant indeed (but deserving, I'm sure :)) Jackie found Pandora a few year's ago and I've been paying for it since :(

Well composed and the text works really well. Crit, well just the vignette, can't put my finger on it, but...nope, can't put my finger on it :thinking: I'll revisit.

Cheers.

Outstanding image nothing at all for me to crit.
Thanks Mandy

Well Peter, very nearly there... well done so far.

That is an exceptional image which is wonderfully lit. It has definition where you'd expect it and sparkles like a very sparkly thing thanks to the great lighting. I love the oval background light, althought the cynic in me wonders if it might have been added in post with a radial grad? ;)

My only other thought for images like this is whether they'd work even better on film... because of film's ability to catch so much highlight detail vs digital, would the sparkly bits be even sharper? It'd be fun to try both... I guess a digital alternative would be to underexpose by a couple of stops and ramp back up, playing with the curves as you go?

Whatever, it's a lovely shot, the text adds nicely and once again you've delivered a stonking image. Looking forward to your final 52 image this year which will hopefully be up to your usual exceptional standard - no pressure, mate ;)
Many thanks for the comments Paul

Hi, Extravagant indeed (but deserving, I'm sure :)) Jackie found Pandora a few year's ago and I've been paying for it since :(

Well composed and the text works really well. Crit, well just the vignette, can't put my finger on it, but...nope, can't put my finger on it :thinking: I'll revisit.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy.

I may well have an edit later on the vignette but in the meantime I need to sort out my support shot

Back