weekly Donnie's 52 for 2013 - Value and many others added to catchup!

Sorry im a bit late but had to have my say on sin. I think its a fantastic idea and well errm.......... damn cant say executed, executed.

Looks like it should be an Alkaline Trio album cover.

Nice vivid colours and I like the lighting very much, thanks for the explanation again.

Thanks all for the comments and critique (y)

After last weeks early start, this week I've left it almost late :| But decided to make this my Gravity shot :)

365_24 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

This was lit with a single bare flash at 45 degrees camera right, and about 45 degrees above too.
I exposed for the ambient first of all, then set up the flash to ensure I could expose myself in the "fall".
Once that was done, it was a case of setting up my set of steps to rest my left leg on, my upside down bin bucket for under my back and a small light stand to hold the cap.
Once I was reasonable happy with the shot I removed all the items and took another shot, no flash of the bare scene.
The rest is done in photoshop by masking and blending the images to remove the props to give the impression of being dropped from the sky.

Donnie said:
Thanks all for the comments and critique (y)

After last weeks early start, this week I've left it almost late :| But decided to make this my Gravity shot :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thisisdonnie/8411653133/
365_24 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

This was lit with a single bare flash at 45 degrees camera right, and about 45 degrees above too.
I exposed for the ambient first of all, then set up the flash to ensure I could expose myself in the "fall".
Once that was done, it was a case of setting up my set of steps to rest my left leg on, my upside down bin bucket for under my back and a small light stand to hold the cap.
Once I was reasonable happy with the shot I removed all the items and took another shot, no flash of the bare scene.
The rest is done in photoshop by masking and blending the images to remove the props to give the impression of being dropped from the sky.

Don"t know why exactly but the shadow looks wrong to me, for your cap and right leg In particular
And if you compare that to the shadow form the post in the background....

I am going to try and do a similar effect for my shot this week but haven't decided in subject and location yet!

I think you've done a cracking job. The sense of movement is impressive and the whole setup is pretty clever. I do see the problem with your shadow, it's a little too diffuse and a different colour to the shadow of the lampost in the medium distance. But I guess that's down to the mixed lighting.

Wasn't it a bit dangerous playing this close to the river? :)

Great idea - great execution - with a couple of minor points on the shadow's.

Great location and colours in the bridge and trees.

Back of your left thigh "looks" like it might have had the shadow under your jeans removed?

Overall, good show here and kudos for doing it in a public place. Not easy to do. It does look like you've imported yourself into th photograph, rather than it being done on location. He shadow is a tad off, especially the angle of the shadow from your right leg.

That said, impressive for doing it where you did and a decent result :clap:

Cheers.

Thanks all for the kind comments and critique, ill certainly try something similar again in warmer weather :) I can see what the shadow is doing I must admit, I might have a redo if I can get the motivation in photoshop and have aplay

A good shot Donnie with a lot of work and effort put in. I like the composition and colours in the background, all blends in well.

Brilliant entry for gravity, been meaning to have a go at something similar for a while myself!

Bloomin'eck Paul.....

Thats a helluva lot of work for 1 shot....IMPRESSED with the result & your write up of how :clap:

Not in any position to crit as I couldn't even begin to attempt something like this

thanks again all :)

As for Wild, I'm going to be lazy and enter my cat shot I did in the week for my 365 as it's been a busy week with painting the hall etc etc :-/

So, for wild, I present Bob.

365_29 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

He was sat on our leather sofa so I managed to set up my flash on the coffee table, put it on 1/128th and zoomed to 105mm to concentrate the light on him and not the sofa.

Then I used the 50mm 1.8 and adjusted the shutter speed and f stop to get the right exposure.

Gravity is fantastic, just great. Can't really offer much in the way of critical appraisal as I wouldn't know where to start with a shot like that.

Wild may be lazy, but it's a nice shot, really captures the wild in the domestic. I'm not sure if it's my eyes, but the DOF falls off a little too quick around the subject's left eye for me, but that's being picky.

Gravity is fantastic, just great. Can't really offer much in the way of critical appraisal as I wouldn't know where to start with a shot like that.

Wild may be lazy, but it's a nice shot, really captures the wild in the domestic. I'm not sure if it's my eyes, but the DOF falls off a little too quick around the subject's left eye for me, but that's being picky.

Cheers re the Gravity shot, as for the dof on the eye you're right, I'd not really noticed as I keep focussing on the other eye for some reason lol.

Lovely looking kitty :) but says Cuddly to me not wild at all

Really good photo though Paul nicely placed catchlights (y)

Yeah, he's pretty cuddly bless him, quite a character :naughty: And I was certainly very pleased on the catchlights too :)

Wow, that's a great image and sits perfectly on theme for me!

Hi, there, well composed and liking the eye contact.

Doesn't scream Wild to me. Looks a tad underexposed.

Nice cat, though.

Cheers.

nice shot of the cat all cats are quite wild by nature so it fits for me (y)

Hi Donnie

Gravity - thanks for the expanation as i have no idea how to do such a shot. Well executed and good sense of movement. Good exposure and colours to for such an environment and time of day/night

Wild - agree with comments re focus and catchlights. On theme - a wild animal at rest.

Right all, thank god I relaxed my rules but I will finish this one way or another so here's a bit of a catch up from me!

So, Week 5 was space, so this is loosely on theme ie Parking space :|:LOL:

A straightforward shot, processed in lightroom using an instragram filter and boost of clarity and a slight vignette.

Week 5 - Space by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 7 was Gluttony

Now while this may not seem too gluttonous it is for me, the coffee and cakes in this cafe in Bedford are gorgeous and I just have to have a cake when I have coffee here! So for me it loosely fits, unlike my trousers :|

PS this was taken on my iphone then processed in Lightroom.

Week 7 - Gluttony by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 8 was Time

This is a shot I took for an article in a local independent paper about a local independent shop thats still on our high street after about 80 years! The place is an absolute treasure trove of gentlemens things!

Lit with off camera flash through a softbox.

Processed in Lightroom with a boost in clarity and slight vignette.

Week 8 - Time by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 9 was Juxtaposition

This shot is my February shot for the POTY challenge and is not printed and hung on my living room wall. It's my 8 yearold Golden Retriever and cat and think it fits the bill. :)

This was lit with off camera flash camera left and there was a degree of cloning burning and dodging on this to get the result I wanted.

Week 9 - Juxtaposition by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 10 is Letter and I don't have one for that yet so have to shoot that, Week 11 is Electric and here it is.

This was using my macro extension tubes and m42 50mm f1.8

This is pretty much straight out of camera other than a crop and a slight boost in clarity.

Week 11 - Electric by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Hi, Paul nice catchup (y)

Space, yeah it's there. Pity the sign on the right...draws my eye.

Work, the reds really pop in this one. Nice DOF and sharp.

Gluttony, I do like the vintage processing but doesn't scream gluttony as it say.

Time, again, the processing suits the theme and location. Well lit and composed.

Juxtaposition, best of the set. Well composed, nice subtle lighting and great eye contact with the cat. Lovely detail in the dogs fur.

Eeek, more! Tacky, in theme but I'd prefer to see closer. Looks underexposed?

Values, taken in January? Anyway, like it, nice focused lighting and well composed.

Cheers

Last edited:
Time is an excellent shot.

Good composition, very clean and clear, one of the best I've seen.

Hi, Paul nice catchup (y)

Space, yeah it's there. Pity the sign on the right...draws my eye.

Work, the reds really pop in this one. Nice DOF and sharp.

Gluttony, I do like the vintage processing but doesn't scream gluttony as it say.

Time, again, the processing suits the theme and location. Well lit and composed.

Juxtaposition, best of the set. Well composed, nice subtle lighting and great eye contact with the cat. Lovely detail in the dogs fur.

Eeek, more! Tacky, in theme but I'd prefer to see closer. Looks underexposed?

Values, taken in January? Anyway, like it, nice focused lighting and well composed.

Cheers

Cheers mate, yeah, the sign on the right of space is a bit of an eye drawer and I did consider throwing the background out of focus but it was just a white blob then :puke: but as it was a snap to catch up I wasn't going to spend too much time on it lol.

I'd have loved to have done some star trails / milky way shot but what with the weather and light pollution and time all against me :thumbsdown:

Time is an excellent shot.

Good composition, very clean and clear, one of the best I've seen.

Thanks (y)

Nice catch up Work, juxtaposition, and value stand out for me though I have seen value before but it is a nice pic so why not (y)

Gravity - Well worked and bang on theme. Love the background too.

Wild - Nicely lit and great DoF. How you managed to set up and get the shot before he moved I don't know. My dog seems to lie there posing until the camera comes out and then he just wants to play.

Space - Works for the theme

Work - Spot on, and some nice subtle bokeh

Gluttony - Another good take on the theme, but I can't help but notice the coffee on the spoon and saucer.

Time - Wow! That looks like an amazing timepiece. Perfect lighting and DoF. Did you get any macros of the clock workings?

Electric - Nice angle and lighting, and DoF is good for a macro.

Tacky - Bang on theme, but can't help thinking a macro shot would have been stronger (no adhesive pun intended)

Value - Very strong image there, and I love how dark it is.

Well done on your catch up! I've still got tons to catch up on.

Hi Paul :)

Space - Nice idea, like the PP as it helps the dull sky :)

Work - Very nice, great DoF, can still see the work going on in the background, good lighting too - Nice One (y)

Gluttony - Really liking the detail in the coffee, although it is lost in the cake frosting a tad too much

Time - Nice composition, good DoF again and a great background :)

Juxtaposition - Awweee bless they look cosy together, liking the catchlights in their eyes, super detail and the overall lighting/vignette effect, a real nice image (y)

Electric - A real nice macro shot, great detail and again well lit

Tacky - although it's an image of glue it doesn't say tacky for me

Value - A nice strong image, fingers look a bit wet/shiny ?? but a cracking idea !!!!

Andddddddd - WOW what a catch up :clap: - I had to move you back up on the spreadsheet

Back