weekly DTS's 2013 52 thread! UPDATE

DTS

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Well seeing as its the first start since I joined the forum, thought I'd throw myself into it, especially as people feel they improved so much by joining the previous ones!

Looking forward to it! (y)

Last edited:
Well seeing as its the first start since I joined the forum, thought I'd throw myself into it, especially as people feel they improved so much by joining the previous ones!

Looking forward to it! (y)

Is there an official thread for 2013 around yet? I started the 2012 one but gave up a month or two in. Would like to try this again.

Karl

Hi Dan

welcome to the 52's madhouse :wave: it's lots of fun , can be very addcitive & people are only to willing to help with info etc .Get stuck in & post your shots , nip in to other's threads to comment , definately helped me alot over the last 2 years (y)

Hi Dan

welcome to the 52's madhouse :wave: it's lots of fun , can be very addcitive & people are only to willing to help with info etc .Get stuck in & post your shots , nip in to other's threads to comment , definately helped me alot over the last 2 years (y)

Thanks Lynne - im very much looking forward to it! :D

blondie606 said:
Hi Dan

This.

Welcome.

Cheers.

So, here it is, my first go at the all famous TP 52's!

The image is supposed to be my take on what Adam would have looked down and seen after he had just taken a bite from the apple from the forbidden tree.

The background is intentionally dull, as i was going for the anger and darkness type feel - please let me know if that's how it turned out?

8323040486_b191d8ed1d.jpg

Not exactly how i saw it in my mind but hey ho!

Thanks guys

Good idea. Nice and close and decent focus, but I'd like to see sharp throughout. I'd prefer a more even BG. Also, that's one huge bite ;)

Can I asks why B&W?

Cheers and good start!

I thought of the story and once the bite was taken how the thunder and lightning would have crashed around him, and was hoping it would show the darkness, without having used a black background - if you get me? Lol

And it's two bites - my original idea was to get it side on and catch the bite from the side but it looked c**p so I had a rethink!

Last edited:
The image is supposed to be my take on what Adam would have looked down and seen after he had just taken a bite from the Apple from the forbidden tree.

The background is intentionally dull, as i was going for the anger and darkness type feel - please let me know if that's how it turned out?

Hi Dan
That to me is what this is about, getting an idea, then developing it and learning new ways to improve
Good effort and idea, I'd suggest looking into off camera lighting to control the backround and mood, its great fun learning and it sounds like you're up for the challenge (y)

Thanks Bruce :) I'm looking forward to getting stuck in!

Hi Dan

good to see you getting stuck in early (y)

me thinks apples will feature a lot in the theme !
Can see where you're coming from with the mono but , maybe, just maybe , a dark bg & color shot would have worked as well .

If you wanna stick with mono then possibly increase the contrast a touch to give a grittier feel ?

Focus looks spot on , you've caught the juiciness of the apple spot on (y)
As for lighting...I have no idea !

& , you said " Not exactly how i saw it in my mind but hey ho! "....join the club...my shots NEVER turn out as I see them in my minds eye :LOL:

Good luck on your 52 Dan (y)
Your shot for this weeks theme is good start, it's on theme, maybe more so if it was just one bite from the apple.
As Lynne mentioned, a boost in contrast would help the mono conversion along.
Also, having the hand away from the background to lessen the shadow a little I feel would concentrate the viewers eye more. IMHO

You might be right about the contrast lynne I just didn't want the shadows to ge too dark on the left side of the apple.

I must agree they never quite go right!

Iain I think you are probably right about pulling away from BG too

I'll soon learn!

Last edited:
As Lynne mentioned, a boost in contrast would help the mono conversion along.
Also, having the hand away from the background to lessen the shadow a little I feel would concentrate the viewers eye more. IMHO
Just about sums up what I was going to say

A good start Dan, nice choice for the theme - look forward to your next 51 (y)

a good start and everyone else has pointed out the little things so I wont repeat them dont worry about posting similar pictures its about what you do with it that matters

I like that Dan, but I'm not sure he B&W works all that well for this shot.

You do need to include a link to this thread in the main thread; took me quite a while to find you!

Ok but which thread do you mean?

The main one where everyone posts their photos

You do need to include a link to this thread in the main thread; took me quite a while to find you!

Dan - Mark means the thread you already posted the image in - just that you didn't include a link to your own thread.
It a good idea as others can see all the pictures in one place, and then a simple click takes them to the individual threads to make their comments.

The shadow behind the hand is the main thing I don't like here, and I'm not a fan of b&w (just don't get it), is it a red apple or a green apple?? I might also say to not cut off the lower part of the hand.

What i do think you've caught well is the bitten part, the white is great with the highlights showing the juicyness of the subject. (y)

And can we have a bigger version in coming weeks please?

Last edited:
Ah gotcha will do! It's a red apple and I agree about the cutting off some of my hand. Some how I hadn't noticed it :bang:

Yea - looking back i could have easily rectified this with something simple or even a light move but i was in a panic because my original idea didnt work, but im not sure why as i had at least a week to rectify it! :LOL:

Thanks for the feedback guys! (y)

To be fair Dan it's a good idea especially with the large bite. As already suggested I would have opted for a tint more colour or something to make the apple stand out more from the BG.

I get it! i should have left the apple red! :LOL:

just kidding - but i went back and cant find the original file for some reason :(

Im sure i saved the raw file with the jpeg but nothing - and i never delete anything! :bang:

nice take on the theme.. I know its not everyone's favourite but perhaps a colour pop might have worked on this?... don't mind the B+W but agree perhaps a little more contrast would have given more impact but can see what you mean about that possibly darkening the shadow though.. like how you can see the juiciness on the bitten part of the apple

Thanks Michelle :)

getting close to the end of the week - I haven't forgotten I just can't find what I need in any shops :mad:

Sorry this ones slightly late - had a nightmare week all round. One thing after another at home and to top that off a bad week at work - bad weather makes it difficult for the world of logistics!!

Anyway here it is - SEASON

Blood oranges are only briefly in season at this time of year, only i struggled to get a completely blood red orange! this was the best of around 6 i cut in half!

Not a great deal of effort due to the reasons above - i just wanted to get something submitted more than anything.

8393865513_a3b26ecfef_b.jpg

Cheers guys

Sometimes life gets in the way.

You've caught up :clap:

Not a bad photograph. The colours look fine to me and nice detail.

Crit, well, I'd prefer if the pith was an even colour and I'd prefer a whiter BG.

Cheers.

I did try to sort the white of the pith out in Photoshop but it just wasnt working right and i just wasnt in the mood - sometimes im happy to spend hours in PS just faffing about and retouching but this wasnt one of those days :(

Here is where I get a bit picky as I don't like the grey background :) As you have gone so close and had more than one orange I might have used others to make the whole background orange and possibly a square crop - shot looks a bit long and narrow so have you already cropped it? I love the colours in the orange and pith - but it looks a little soft?

Yup it's already cropped. The focus point is in the bottom half of the cut orange with a shallow DOF.

As I said I didn't make a great effort as I've had such a busy and rather C**P week lol

Thanks for your comments and I agree about the BG totally but just fist have the energy or urge to do any PP other than the crop

agree with all about the BG well done for getting one in it just needed a slightly better composition

I know where your coming from my week 2 was very similar and ended up with a "emergency " shot, well done for sticking with the project

cheers - i just didnt want to fail my commitment so early on!

Back