F1 2017 season

I'm curious as to whether the teams will try low downforce at Spa this year, given the increased mechanical grip available. Would the time lost through reduced aero grip in the middle part of the circuit be more than offset by gains through Kemmel and Blanchimont?

It's usually medium-ish down force circuit, but red bull went aggressively low down force last year and it paid dividends so it's a possibility. I'm sure that'll be part of practice testing.
Having driven it at pace this year when we went over for Classic Spa, I can't wait to see this. Always a good circuit for overtaking and entertaining moves.

Don't shoot the messenger, plus, I was born in 90 so I've never watched a competitive one haha

Its quite possible if mclarean go reno and Honda tie up with torro rosso they could well come top mid fielders
Its nothing like a full scale loss of face to the japenese to get them really going and with the help of Ilmar they may just come good

2017 FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO HEINEKEN D'ITALIA

wfOW3h0.png

Autodromo Nazionale Monza
Lap length 5.793km (3.6 miles)
Race laps 53
Race distance 306.72km (190.587 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’21.046 (Rubens Barrichello, 2004)
Fastest lap 1’19.525 (Juan Pablo Montoya, 2004, qualifying one)
Maximum speed 337kph (209.402 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Start/finish straight and straight to Ascari
Distance from grid to turn one 638m
Full throttle 76%
Longest flat-out section 1520m
Downforce level Low
Gear changes per lap 46
Fuel use per lap 1.82kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.057s

UK Times
Friday 1st September 2017
Italian Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 10:00-11:30 (UK time: 9:00-10:30)
Italian Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 14:00-15:30 (UK time: 13:00-14:30)
Saturday 2nd September 2017
Italian Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 11:00-12:00 (UK time: 10:00-11:00)
Italian Grand Prix Qualifying: 14:00 (UK time: 13:00)
Sunday 3rd September 2017
Italian Grand Prix: 14:00 (UK time: 13:00)

Previous Winners
2016 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes Monza Road Circuit
2015 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2013 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2012 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2011 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2010 Spain Fernando Alonso Ferrari
2009 Brazil Rubens Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes
2008 Germany Sebastian Vettel Toro Rosso-Ferrari
2007 Spain Fernando Alonso McLaren-Mercedes
2006 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2005 Colombia Juan Pablo Montoya McLaren-Mercedes
2004 Brazil Rubens Barrichello Ferrari
2003 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2002 Brazil Rubens Barrichello Ferrari
2001 Colombia Juan Pablo Montoya Williams-BMW
2000 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari

Videos

Hamilton vs Schumacher onboard 2011
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPDN_ZKMniE

1991 Prost opening lap onboard
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqghM1SxODk

Facts from the previous race

Lewis Hamilton finally equalled Michael Schumacher’s all-time record for most pole positions in the Belgian Grand Prix.

Hamilton scored his 68th pole position at his 200th race start. It took Schumacher another 41 races to reach 68 pole positions.

However neither driver racked up pole positions at the same rate as Ayrton Senna, who made it to 65 poles in 161 races.

But having caught up to Schumacher in terms of pole positions, Hamilton still has a long way to go to match Schumacher’s wins record. He took his 58th victory in Spa which leaves him 33 shy of Schumacher’s record.

There’s a neat symmetry in their achievements. Hamilton matched Schumacher’s record at Spa on the occasion of his 200th race. Schumacher marked his 300th race at the same track five years earlier, before being replaced by Hamilton at the end of the year.

Hamilton is the 17th driver in the history of Formula One to reach his 200th start. Three other drivers scored wins in their 200th races: Schumacher (2004 European Grand Prix), Jenson Button (2011 Hungarian Grand Prix) and Nico Rosberg (2016 Singapore Grand Prix).

The next driver to reach 200 will be Vettel. Based on the current 2018 F1 calendar that will happen at next year’s Chinese Grand Prix.

Vettel broke his own eight-year-old lap record for Spa yesterday. By doing so he also set the 30th fastest lap of his career which means he now has as many as Nigel Mansell.

Valtteri Bottas missed out on the podium which means his five-race run of rostrum finishes has come to an end. Vettel was on the podium for the ninth time this year, which is now the most of any driver, though Hamilton has the most wins with five.

Another early retirement for Verstappen means he remains the driver who has raced the least laps so far this year. He’s done 405 out of a potential 723, which is just 56%. Thanks to four technical failures and two first-lap collisions his RB13 has failed to make it beyond lap 13 in half of the races so far.

Despite tangling with his team mate twice, Esteban Ocon saw the chequered flag. He along with Hamilton and Vettel are the only drivers to have been classified in every race this year. He scored points for the 11th time in 12 races and is now just nine behind team mate Sergio Perez as relations between the pair plunge to new depths.

However Marcus Ericsson finished outside the top ten again meaning he has now started 40 consecutive races without earning a point.

Current Standings
Uzrm9at.png

5CAIMvZ.png

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
6csgjhf.jpg

Well sky ruined qualifying by not carrying on recording whilst I was out and then the race.... [emoji42]

(Except Danny ric)

Got to admit I am actually quite liking the F1 races right now. Getting loads of time to do other stuff on a Sunday afternoon inbetween the odd second of on track entertainment.

2017 FORMULA 1 SINGAPORE AIRLINES SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX

OJDq3KO.png

Marina Bay Street Circuit
Lap length 5.065km (3.147 miles)
Race laps 61
Race distance 308.965km (191.982 miles)
Pole position Right-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’50.041 (Daniel Ricciardo, 2016)
Fastest lap 1’43.885 (Sebastian Vettel, 2016, qualifying three)
Maximum speed 323kph (200.703 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight and straight to turn seven
Distance from grid to turn one 301m
Full throttle 49%
Longest flat-out section 832m
Downforce level Maximum
Gear changes per lap 70

UK Times
Friday 15th September 2017
Singapore Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 16:30-18:00 (UK time: 09:30-11:00)
Singapore Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 20:30-22:00 (UK time: 13:30-15:00)
Saturday 16th September 2017
Singapore Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 18:00-19:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
Singapore Grand Prix Qualifying: 21:00 (UK time: 14:00)
Sunday 17th September 2017
Singapore Grand Prix: 20:00 (UK time: 13:00)

Previous Winners
2016 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2015 Germany Sebastian Vettel Ferrari
2012 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2010 Spain Fernando Alonso Ferrari
2009 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2008 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault

Videos

Webber onboard 2010
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vynKhObL_rU

2016 various onboard
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC2IcScxWpo

Lewis Hamilton dominated the Italian Grand Prix weekend, taking his 59th career victory and 69th pole position. The latter, of course, is a new all-time record for any driver in the history of Formula One.

Hamilton’s victory means he is alone at the top of the points standing for the first time since this point last season. However Sebastian Vettel is only three points behind with up to 175 still available.

As has been the case since the V6 hybrid turbo era began, Mercedes were untouchable at Monza. No other team has led a lap at this track since 2014, and Mercedes finished first and second for the third time in four years. At the chequered flag the closest non-Mercedes was 36 seconds behind.

The only session not headed by a Mercedes was final practice, where just seven drivers set times in extremely wet conditions.

Just how wet was it? Felipe Massa set the quickest time with a 1’40.660, which was the slowest session-topping lap seen at Monza since Jacques Laffite took pole for the 1976 race with a lap of 1’41.35. This was the first year after the addition of the chicane before Lesmo.

Hamilton’s pole was his eighth this year, meaning he needs just one more from the remaining seven races to win the pole position trophy again. It was also his sixth in the Italian Grand Prix which is a new record, one more than Ayrton Senna and Juan Manuel Fangio. This was Hamilton’s fourth win in the Italian Grand Prix, meaning he can equal Michael Schumacher’s record of five next year.

The exact order of the grid was a matter of considerable confusion owing to the large number of penalties imposed. Nine drivers shared a total of 150 places of grid penalties. This is the second-highest number of penalties seen at a race: at Monza two years ago 168 places of grid penalties were applied.

The penalties cost Red Bull what would have been their strongest starting positions of the year with second and third for Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo. Lance Stroll inherited Verstappen’s place on the front row and broke his record for being the youngest driver to start there by 23 days.

Second place on the grid for Stroll was a huge improvement on his average starting position of 14.8 prior to Monza. He lowered the record for youngest front row starter to 18 years and 314 days.

Esteban Ocon also achieved his best starting position to date with third. Inevitably he and Stroll slipped back in the race, which allowed Vettel to finish on the podium for the tenth time this year.

They were also demoted by Daniel Ricciardo who made up 12 places from his starting position to finish fourth. This is the third-highest climb by a driver this year, all of which have been achieved by Red Bull’s racers. Ricciardo made up 14 places from the start at Silverstone and Verstappen gained 13 at Shanghai. Hamilton, in contrast, finished where he started for the fourth race in a row.

Ricciardo also set the fastest lap of the race. This is the ninth of his career, putting him level with Denny Hulme, Ronnie Peterson and Jacques Villeneuve.

Current Standings
BGgpK7E.png

Fjie05M.png

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
eOipnpE.jpg

https://BANNED/skysportsf1/status/908273940195188736

Palmer is excited about his future so he must have nailed his audition for channel 4

Last edited:

Palmer is excited about his future so he must have nailed his audition for channel 4

Think they're out of a job next year too!:rolleyes:

He's been given every opportunity but just hasn't delivered. Plenty of other drivers waiting, so formula E perhaps?

I see that Renault are not going to supply Red Bull after next year now.

formula E perhaps?
Have you watched any? Lots of manufacturers and good drivers, yes, but the cars are so slow :( Formula Ford is (much) more exciting. I've tried to like it, but I can't.

When a Formula E car is doing over 200mph through Blanchimont or the exit of Radillon, I'll be interested. Pottering around fiddly-farty temporary circuits in the middle of towns, no.

Have you watched any? Lots of manufacturers and good drivers, yes, but the cars are so slow :( Formula Ford is (much) more exciting. I've tried to like it, but I can't.

When a Formula E car is doing over 200mph through Blanchimont or the exit of Radillon, I'll be interested. Pottering around fiddly-farty temporary circuits in the middle of towns, no.

Yes - watched a lot and the temporary circuits need a lot of work, but as a series it works. It's attracted a lot of ex f1 drivers, those that didn't make it, hence the thought Palmer could be heading there?

Formula e should have started as a support race for f1 like f2 and followed it to 10/12 tracks to start with, then I would've watched it, I have tried to watch it but i haven't enjoyed it either

Sainz to Renault next year
Toro Rosso and McLaren swap engines
Red bull hint at working with a car company to supply engines that isn't Porsche, Aston Martin rumours now

Not sure why SV got away with it yet again. Or why the teams are allowed to attend a meeting/hearing about a 100% driver issue.

Reactions: BBR
Disappointing that Ferrari couldn't take back the lead in the Championship, looking at the races ahead I can't see Hamilton losing it now, with exception maybe of Brazil they all look like "Mercedes" tracks.
I'd agree. In fairness Vettel caused his own issue there. Shame for Kimi but I guess LH wil be getting another championship now. Much as I dislike the bloke I can't knock his speed.

How did vettel not get a penalty for that move that triggered major crashes?
Lousy driving, caused a major incident at the start, then dropped the back end with careless throttle in the wet.

More advantageous decisions for Ferrari

The best bit of the race is jolyon suddenly thinks he's the worlds best driver because literally 1 person didn't score points hahaha and he scored some, you can't write this stuff, his replacement was in front of him though and hulk deserved a podium today

Disappointing that Ferrari couldn't take back the lead in the Championship, looking at the races ahead I can't see Hamilton losing it now, with exception maybe of Brazil they all look like "Mercedes" tracks.

Why? The best driver in the conditions won, Ferrari deserved what happened...

How did vettel not get a penalty for that move that triggered major crashes?
Lousy driving, caused a major incident at the start, then dropped the back end with careless throttle in the wet.

More advantageous decisions for Ferrari

A little hard there
As this all happened in split seconds can I suggest an alternative Vettle saw max coming and didnt wish to be stuck behind him so he moved across (stupid move as he isnt racing max for the championship ) Max would have obscured Kimi and Kimi had a flying start way faster than the first two, so he wouldnt know there was no track for max to go into Yes Seb was the start of it all but I dont think it was lousy driving just racing for the first corner, hence no penalty
As for the spin that wasnt the wet track as such but a wetter track from his own coolant (there was a shot of the green fluid pumping out of the rear after he had re spun to get going again ) and as you know coolant isnt just water its all sorts of secret slippery stuff

Last edited:
Why? The best driver in the conditions won, Ferrari deserved what happened...
That's a bit harsh. I'm not sure Kimi deserved what happened to him. Max moved over to cut off Vettel and SV over covered the move. Unfortunately KR was collateral damage and LH was lucky. Following that it was easy for LH. DR wasn't able to perform as he did in practice.

That's a bit harsh. I'm not sure Kimi deserved what happened to him. Max moved over to cut off Vettel and SV over covered the move. Unfortunately KR was collateral damage and LH was lucky. Following that it was easy for LH. DR wasn't able to perform as he did in practice.

Max was the meat in the Ferrari sandwich, neither gave him the space they should have so both deserved the DNF.

Hamilton showed more than luck (which he did have in not getting taken out by one of the 3 from the start, granted), he just has the better ability in the wet.

Max was the meat in the Ferrari sandwich, neither gave him the space they should have so both deserved the DNF.

Hamilton showed more than luck (which he did have in not getting taken out by one of the 3 from the start, granted), he just has the better ability in the wet.

Felt sorry for Max, he's been brilliant in the wet before and had a good chance of winning this one. Another major loser was Alonso, he looked like he could've got some points on the board. I'm amazed he kept going as long as he did looking at the state of the car he brought back to the pits.

A little hard there
As this all happened in split seconds can I suggest an alternative Vettle saw max coming and didnt wish to be stuck behind him so he moved across (stupid move as he isnt racing max for the championship ) Max would have obscured Kimi and Kimi had a flying start way faster than the first two, so he wouldnt know there was no track for max to go into Yes Seb was the start of it all but I dont think it was lousy driving just racing for the first corner, hence no penalty
As for the spin that wasnt the wet track as such but a wetter track from his own coolant (there was a shot of the green fluid pumping out of the rear after he had re spun to get going again ) and as you know coolant isnt just water its all sorts of secret slippery stuff

Not sure he spun on the coolant, it was certainly flowing out after he clouted the wall the second impact but there was no sign of it before that. Vettal performed a hard chop on max, which would have been fine if it hadn't caused a major incident - which it did.
So if he was losing coolant as you suggest, then his dash would be telling him this info - temps rising rapidly, loss of coolant alarms. Which then means the chop across hamilton hard on the first corner looks like he realised his race was up and was trying to take Hamilton out the race to stop him scoring points?
I don't think his cars was compromised until he lost it and binned it into the wall and the cop was trying to maintain first place. Seeing Hamilton get a good run out the corner, Vettel applied too much throttle and lost it.

Looking at the colision, Kimi's rear was behind Max's front and they touched when Max got out of the throttle to try and miss Seb's chop as Vettel left Max nowhere to go other than to come off the throttle
bOXRFnzo.jpg

Last edited:
Felt sorry for Max, he's been brilliant in the wet before and had a good chance of winning this one. Another major loser was Alonso, he looked like he could've got some points on the board. I'm amazed he kept going as long as he did looking at the state of the car he brought back to the pits.

It took out the electronics, several of the key systems and caused overheating of other electrical components. The pit had no idea as the telemetry was lost, so they ran the car until it started to fail as there were points to be had.

Don't think Seb ever see's any incident as his fault, unless the FIA are about to ban him of course. Felt sorry for Max and Kimi though but that was a lot more than a 'slight' move to the left as Seb described it. Think Lewis would have done well in those conditions without the crash too.

2017 FORMULA 1 PETRONAS MALAYSIA GRAND PRIX

VN8Qpxk.png

Sepang International Circuit
Lap data
Lap length 5.543km (3.444 miles)
Race laps 56
Race distance 310.408km (192.879 miles)
Pole position Right-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’34.223 (Juan Pablo Montoya, 2004)
Fastest lap 1’32.582 (Fernando Alonso, 2005, qualifying one)
Maximum speed 329kph (204.431 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight and final straight
Distance from grid to turn one 683m
Full throttle 45%
Longest flat-out section 1029m
Downforce level High
Gear changes per lap 40

UK Times
Friday 29th September 2017
Malaysian Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:00-12:30 (UK time: 4:00-5:30)
Malaysian Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 15:00-16:30 (UK time: 8:00-9:30)
Saturday 30th September 2017
Malaysian Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 14:00-15:00 (UK time: 7:00-8:00)
Malaysian Grand Prix Qualifying: 17:00 (UK time: 10:00)
Sunday 1st October 2017
Malaysian Grand Prix: 15:00 (UK time: 8:00)

Previous Winners
2016 Australia Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-TAG Heuer
2015 Germany Sebastian Vettel Ferrari
2012 Spain Fernando Alonso Ferrari
2010 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2009 United Kingdom Jenson Button Brawn-Mercedes
2008 Finland Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari
2007 Spain Fernando Alonso McLaren-Mercedes
2006 Italy Giancarlo Fisichella Renault
2005 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault
2004 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2003 Finland Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes
2002 Germany Ralf Schumacher Williams-BMW
2001 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2000 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari

Videos

Schumacher 1999 pole lap onboard
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFrSGlO1ez0

Alonso 2016 start onboard
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CeC0FvMsUM

The championship situation changed dramatically in Singapore as Lewis Hamilton claimed a maximum 25 points but his principal rival left with none.

Hamilton now leads Sebastian Vettel by 28 points in the drivers’ championship. That’s the biggest lead any driver has enjoyed all season. Vettel’s lead peaked at 25 points after the Monaco Grand Prix, since when Hamilton has enjoyed a net 53-point swing in his favour.

It was Hamilton’s third consecutive win, following a period at the beginning of the season in which no driver had won two in a row. It was also his third victory in Singapore: Vettel still holds the record with four.

Hamilton now has 60 career wins yet remarkably this is only the second time he’s won having started outside of the first two rows. He won the 2014 British Grand Prix from sixth place. His other wins have come from pole position (38), second (15), third (three) and fourth (two).

Vettel’s 200th participation in a world championship race weekend was not a successful one. His retirement from the race means Hamilton is now the only driver to have scored points in every race this year. Hamilton and Esteban Ocon are the only drivers to have been classified in every race so far.

With Kimi Raikkonen going out in the same first-lap incident, this was the first time since the 2015 Mexican Grand Prix that Ferrari failed to get either car home.

Not since the 1982 Belgian Grand Prix have two Ferraris failed to get either beyond the first lap, and that was in quite different circumstances. Gilles Villeneuve was killed in a crash during qualifying and Didier Pironi’s car was withdrawn as a mark of respect. This was the first time Ferrari have entered two cars in a race have and both retired on the first lap.

Vettel at least took his fourth Singapore Grand Prix pole, the most of any driver, and the 49th of his career. It was also the 213th pole position for a Ferrari-powered car. That equals the record number of pole positions for an engine brand, held by Renault.

However it gets more complicated if we include the pole positions for Renault engines branded as TAG Heuer (Daniel Ricciardo, 2016 Monaco Grand Prix) and Playlife (Giancarlo Fisichella, 1998 Austrian Grand Prix), by which count Ferrari are still two behind.

Ricciardo continued his streak of podiums in Singapore. He’s never failed to finish on the rostrum at this track since he joined Red Bull but nor has he been able to win the race. This was his third consecutive second-placed finish. Remarkably, he’s been in second place for 174 of the last 180 laps raced at this track.

However he took his seventh podium finish of the year while team mate Max Verstappen posted his seventh retirement. Four of these have been due to technical failures and three have been caused by first-lap crashes. While Hamilton has completed all 834 laps raced so far this year, Verstappen has only managed 457 (54.8%). Verstappen has only completed 45 more laps than Hamilton has spent in the lead in 2017.

Valtteri Bottas came home third for Mercedes which means Singapore’s record of never seeing a one-two finish by a team has continued for a tenth year. His tenth podium finish of the year means he is now tied with Vettel for the most so far.

One widely-expected statistical landmark was passed by Nico Hulkenberg. His retirement means he has surpassed Adrian Sutil as the driver who has started the most races without ever finishing on the podium:
Rank Driver Starts Active years Teams Best
1 Nico Hulkenberg 129 2010-present Williams, Force India, Sauber, Renault 4th (3)
2 Adrian Sutil 128 2007-14 Spyker, Force India, Sauber 4th
3 Pierluigi Martini 118 1985-95 Minardi, Scuderia Italia 4th (2)
4 Philippe Alliot 109 1984-94 RAM, Ligier, Lola, Larrousse, McLaren 5th
5 Pedro Diniz 98 1995-2000 Forti, Ligier, Arrows, Sauber 5th (2)
6 Ukyo Katayama 95 1992-97 Larrousse, Tyrrell, Minardi 5th (2)
7 Jonathan Palmer 83 1983-89 Williams, RAM, Zakspeed, Tyrrell 4th
8 Marc Surer 81 1979-86 Ensign, ATS, Theodore, Arrows, Brabham 4th (2)
9 Vitantonio Liuzzi 80 2005-11 Red Bull, Toro Rosso, Force India, HRT 6th (2)
10 Piercarlo Ghinzani 76 1981-89 Osella, Toleman, Ligier, Zakspeed 5th

During the race it briefly looked as though Hulkenberg was going to stop this from happening. He completed lap one in third place and stayed there until he pitted on lap 11. As late as lap 38 he was running fourth, close behind Bottas, when a power unit problem ended his race. But surely the ever-improving Renault will allow him to eventually reach the rostrum and hand this unwanted record back to Sutil?

With Hulkenberg and Vettel failing to score, for the first time in 176 races there were no German drivers among the points-scorers. That streak dates back to the 2008 French Grand Prix, when points were only awarded to the top eight. There were five German drivers in that round and all finished but none in the points. They were Timo Glock (11th), Vettel (12th), Nick Heidfeld (13th), Nico Rosberg (16th) and Sutil (19th).

The absence of several big names missing from the sharp end of the field three drivers took the opportunity to score their best career finishes to date. They were Carlos Sainz Jnr (fourth), Jolyon Palmer (sixth) and Stoffel Vandoorne (seventh).

Current Standings
qrpewWE.png

NxGP3sL.png

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
yYbg0pz.jpg

Back