weekly Flyphots 52 for 2022: - Week 52 'Showcase'

Week 46 'Destruction'

Dr Beeching's report of 1963 assured the destruction of over 3000 miles of railway branch-line. But, the loss of those miles has, in modern times, fortunately given us plenty of lovely off road walking and cycling trails to follow. This is part of an old branch-line near to me that I regularly walk our dog along. Both are mobile phone images.

Interestingly I've noticed lots of local authorities looking to reinstate some of these branch lines in an effort to reduce the amount of cars on the roads, and the associated emissions (Devon County Council, for example, have just submitted a proposal to reinstate the Tavistock to Plymouth line, which could take thousands of cars off the road during rush hour traffic).

As part of our trip to Corfe Castle, read up on the Swanage railway, the line was closed in 1972 and it took 7 weeks to lift the tracks. Volunteers started the restoration in 1976 which took 30 years to reinstate 7 weeks of destruction.
Nice photo by the way!

As part of our trip to Corfe Castle, read up on the Swanage railway, the line was closed in 1972 and it took 7 weeks to lift the tracks. Volunteers started the restoration in 1976 which took 30 years to reinstate 7 weeks of destruction.
Nice photo by the way!

The Beeching reports were a classic case of a quick fix to save money with absolutely zero forward planning, IMHO. But, as I say we do have some lovely safe walking and cycling routes to show for it.

Devon County Council, for example, have just submitted a proposal to reinstate the Tavistock to Plymouth line, which could take thousands of cars off the road during rush hour traffic

They need to because Stagecoach are so absolutely crap!

Nice shots - I'm guessing that that's the bridge I usually drive over, although I have walked under it many years ago (about 50!)

They need to because Stagecoach are so absolutely crap!

Nice shots - I'm guessing that that's the bridge I usually drive over, although I have walked under it many years ago (about 50!)

That's the bridge over the track at Castle Lane (so just before the one you probably mean, and almost opposite the Recycling Centre)

Reactions: Nod
You're right, I did mean the one on the main road into Budleigh. We did used to do the whole walk from Budleigh to Exmouth many years ago but haven't done it in recent years.

Nice take on the theme, and lovely tones. I like the light towards the top of the frame melting into the soft shadow at the bottom. Nice use of leading lines too.

Nice take on the theme, and lovely tones. I like the light towards the top of the frame melting into the soft shadow at the bottom. Nice use of leading lines too.

Thanks Nick (y)

Lovely images. At first it wasn't apparent to me where the destruction was, but I understand now, and the comments have made for an interesting read too. We have quite a few walks around here like this.

Lovely images. At first it wasn't apparent to me where the destruction was, but I understand now, and the comments have made for an interesting read too. We have quite a few walks around here like this.

Thanks, my plan was to make the image a bit cryptic in the main images thread :)

Really like this shot Jim, I had to look up what the Beeching report was and it made for an interesting read.

Nice shots Jim, and interesting to hear the back story and info about proposals

Nice shots Jim, and interesting to hear the back story and info about proposals

Thanks Simon, I personally think this was a massive lack of foresight, but then again hindsight is a wonderful thing ;)

Week 47 - Ornament(al)

I always admire the way that thatchers replace a thatched roof, and they generally put an ornamental animal on the ridge somewhere, so here are a couple from the lane that I live in ...

This first one is the image i've chosen for the main thread as it is the view from my kitchen window and I like the abstract nature of the image

And this second one is a house just down the lane that has a rather unusual dog on the ridge (they are usually birds)

I think it's very clever and lovely to see. It's nice to see the wider view but closer up is better for the theme.

Thank you

Really like hearing about the back story of images. Great commentary Jim. You're chosen one looks like a roadrunner to me, and I love the second shot as well.

Really like hearing about the back story of images. Great commentary Jim. You're chosen one looks like a roadrunner to me, and I love the second shot as well.

Thanks Bill

I love seeing these too. Traditional craftsmen at work here. Nice shots, but I'm going to buck the trend and say I prefer the wider shot.

I love seeing these too. Traditional craftsmen at work here. Nice shots, but I'm going to buck the trend and say I prefer the wider shot.

Thanks Simon

We have a few thatched roofs not too far from where I live, really lovely to see. Your pictures are really good and I prefer the closer image as I feel it fits the theme better, however, I would have been tempted to crop it slightly to remove the shadow or window frame at the top.

Week 48 - Curves

I had a play with white balance, tint, saturation, clarity, contrast and grain with this image to try and get something a bit abstract (although it is pretty 'regular' in pattern)

That's very neat Jim. Is the subject a speaker?

Thanks Simon, it's actually a lid from a water jug (made from a plastic composite) and is a cream colour.

Interesting processing resulting in a good picture for the theme

Pete

Thanks Pete, to be honest I was just playing around with the white balance and hues really, then just carried on trying out the effects with the other sliders in C1 - it got to this point and I thought the colours looked great :D

Thanks Pete, to be honest I was just playing around with the white balance and hues really, then just carried on trying out the effects with the other sliders in C1 - it got to this point and I thought the colours looked great :D
Often works like that, I'm easily distracted.

Ornament: lovely view to have from your window. They are lovely to spot.. we seem to have quite a few foxes around here.
Curves: Very creative, it reminds my of Stevie Wonder'w Songs in the Key of LIfe album cover :)

Interesting !

I thought so :)

Ornament: lovely view to have from your window. They are lovely to spot.. we seem to have quite a few foxes around here.
Curves: Very creative, it reminds my of Stevie Wonder'w Songs in the Key of LIfe album cover :)

Thanks Helen, it seems to be mainly willow pheasants on thatched roofs in this neck of the woods.

Back