weekly Fooly's 52 for 2022 - Week 38 : Look Up

Well taken set Simon. I particularly like your discarded and tree images.

The perspective in the golf ball shot is really nice. Great idea!

Some great pics in your catch up .
I like the perspective and colours on the golf ball pic

Forgive me for not commenting on all, except the last couple.

Liking the sunset shot. The colours look just a tad overcooked on my screen, but I do like the composition with the leading lines and the purple flowers add to it.

Sport: On theme on what looks like a good day for it. It looks a little distorted, as in the ball doesn't look quite round. Was it a very wide angle lens used?

My favourite is the tree shot as I love the colours.

Well done for catching up!

Could be one of these... https://golfcross-shop.com/shop/GolfCross-Oval-Balls ...but I suspect a UWA was used!

Off to lose some round ones later!
I didn't know such things existed, It's like a Rolf ball or a Gugby Ball :ROFLMAO: Reminds me of them making elliptical chainrings on bikes. You can't knock these things until you've tried them, I guess.
Would the rules in a competition mean the balls have to be round?

Apologies for hi-jacking your thread @foolycooly. I am being educated :)

Edit: Ah!! I see they are ornamental. That makes more sense!

Last edited:
Golf ball- Snap!
funnily enough - thats the noise my driver made before the round started...
A nice catch up set Simon - love the sunset shot!
Thanks Simon - was well worth getting up to capture it
Very good catch up!n Like them all.
Thanks Wornish
Golf is a good worm's eye view!
Thanks Oy
Nice catch-up set.

My pick of those is the Unusual one. They're quite disturbing really.
Thanks Kell - they are actually my Sister's wedding gnomes - they freak me out every time I see them...
Good set of catch-up shots Simon, I particularly like the technology and flora shots.

What am I looking at with you "discarded" shot? Looks like a pickled egg?
Thanks :) - the Discarded one is actually a plastic egg from Easter - we scattered them in the grass for the kids to find
Well taken set Simon. I particularly like your discarded and tree images.
Thanks very much :)
The perspective in the golf ball shot is really nice. Great idea!
Thanks Nick
Great angle for your golf ball shot, looks like a lovely day for it.
Thanks :) - yeah, it was a gorgeous day, and the first decent game in a while
Some great pics in your catch up .
I like the perspective and colours on the golf ball pic
Thanks dude :)
Forgive me for not commenting on all, except the last couple.

Liking the sunset shot. The colours look just a tad overcooked on my screen, but I do like the composition with the leading lines and the purple flowers add to it.

Sport: On theme on what looks like a good day for it. It looks a little distorted, as in the ball doesn't look quite round. Was it a very wide angle lens used?

My favourite is the tree shot as I love the colours.

Well done for catching up!
Thanks for the comments Bebop - I did take the opportunity to recalibrate my monitor as I think it may have been off - the picture was also an HDR, so that may explain some of it.

The trees one is actually a bit sad - there was a massive fire started on the heath behind the house - so I went round photographing the half burnt trees afterwards - it fit the theme nicely
Could be one of these... https://golfcross-shop.com/shop/GolfCross-Oval-Balls ...but I suspect a UWA was used!

Off to lose some round ones later!
I suspect most of mine are actually not round from the angles they all fly off at....but yeah - UWA was used for this one
I didn't know such things existed, It's like a Rolf ball or a Gugby Ball :ROFLMAO: Reminds me of them making elliptical chainrings on bikes. You can't knock these things until you've tried them, I guess.
Would the rules in a competition mean the balls have to be round?

Apologies for hi-jacking your thread @foolycooly. I am being educated :)

Edit: Ah!! I see they are ornamental. That makes more sense!
Dont mind a chat on my thread at all :D

Thank you all for the comments - its been good getting back to it.
I am almost ashamed to admint, but the golf ball shot was actually a smartphone picture - absolutely zero planning, just a plonk and shoot, but it came out really nicely in the end with a bit of tweaking in LR - need to accept that sometimes it doesnt need to be taken with a massive setup if the picture comes out well

Thank you all for the comments - its been good getting back to it.
I am almost ashamed to admint, but the golf ball shot was actually a smartphone picture - absolutely zero planning, just a plonk and shoot, but it came out really nicely in the end with a bit of tweaking in LR - need to accept that sometimes it doesnt need to be taken with a massive setup if the picture comes out well

That's for sure.

Some of my favourite shots have been taken with my 'little' camera rather than the big one. If I'd had both on me, I'm sure the bigger camera would have produced marginally better results, but sometimes it's just about the moment.

On time for once!

Took the campervan out for its maiden voyage to the Isle of Wight at the weekend, and spent a thoroughly enjoyable couple of days pootling round the missus old haunts. Foolishly told the teenager I was looking for Parallel things to photo, and was bombarded with suggestions of every single picket fence / telephone wire / vaguely straight things in pairs we passed - but I got some nice shots from it :)

This one is my favourite of the bunch...

IMG_2034.jpg by Simon Stocks, on Flickr

Nice set Simon, I can see why you chose the one you did. I would probably have been undecided between that one and the shot along the beach.

I'm torn between the first and last, nice set of pictures

Hard enough to pick a favourite out of my own shots, let alone others'!

Nicely done Simon! I'd rather go down them than up :)

Some good ones there Simon. Congratulate that teenager please.
I really like the last one. I think the perspective is spot on.

I keep looking at this and trying to figure out what's going on. My guess is she's on a scooter on the edge of a ramp at a skateboard park?

The fact that I keep going back to the picture means that (to me, at least) it's a successful image.

I can see the metal and I'm pleased you posted an explanation. A different and interesting take on the theme.
Is this a skateboard?

Yes, nicely done Simon, the B&W works well.
Thanks Simon

I keep looking at this and trying to figure out what's going on. My guess is she's on a scooter on the edge of a ramp at a skateboard park?

The fact that I keep going back to the picture means that (to me, at least) it's a successful image.
Thanks - yes, she was practicing her drop ins on a scooter, and I managed to get her to stand still for a minute for once!

I can see the metal and I'm pleased you posted an explanation. A different and interesting take on the theme.
Is this a skateboard?

Thanks you Peter :) - its a scooter

Week 22 : Treasure

My daughter has this little treasure chest that she keeps her more sacred things in - they tend to change week to week, and this week, she'd filled it with marbles and some fluff balls instead of some random lego bricks, so I took full advantage as I didn't have a bloody clue what else to shoot for the theme!

IMG_2070.jpg by Simon Stocks, on Flickr

Last edited:
That’s a brilliant picture, it’s very colourful and I like how you’ve placed it just off centre.

That's a fabulous image Simon. Top drawer for the theme!

I think that that is an awesome submission Simon. It's an image that you can squirrel away and when she's in her twenties or thirties you can bring it out and reminisce.

Such a lovely back story - especially as to how the contents change. Your lucky week to get such a colourful and pretty collection.

That’s a brilliant picture, it’s very colourful and I like how you’ve placed it just off centre.
Thanks - totally planned, and not at all because I cropped it quickly
That's a fabulous image Simon. Top drawer for the theme!
Thanks Simon
I think that that is an awesome submission Simon. It's an image that you can squirrel away and when she's in her twenties or thirties you can bring it out and reminisce.
Thanks :) - its definitely going in the pile, along with the myriad of muddy puddle pictures :D
Well set up and lit Simon. Box fits in with the theme as well.
Thanks Peter
This is so cute, I love it. Perfect for the theme.
Thank you
Such a lovely back story - especially as to how the contents change. Your lucky week to get such a colourful and pretty collection.
Thank you - it was certainly luck this week, I've found all sorts of things in that box in the past - occasional weetabix is always a fun one...

I'm not sure it is a shoehorn. It is solid.

The inscription made me smile. I like the inclusion of the other crockery at the edges giving it context, though not so keen on the napkin. I probably wouldn't have spotted it at the time.

I like all your pictures. Well done. I like the plate, lovely sentiment :D

Interesting idea for a plate, and works for the theme for me :)

Great image Simon, my takeaway is to never run out of soup...
I felt it was my greatest wisdom to pass on to the newly weds
I'm not sure it is a shoehorn. It is solid.

The inscription made me smile. I like the inclusion of the other crockery at the edges giving it context, though not so keen on the napkin. I probably wouldn't have spotted it at the time.
I'll be honest - I didn't notice it either until you pointed it out....
I like all your pictures. Well done. I like the plate, lovely sentiment :D
Thanks you :D
Good colours and very much on theme.
Thanks!
Interesting idea for a plate, and works for the theme for me :)
They decided to have everyone sign the plates they are going to use from now on - I thought that was a lovely idea, so I spoiled it by being silly
That's a lovely memento to have. Solid as solid!
They are going to keep them all as their daily use plates - a lovely memento indeed!

Back