Garry’s 52 for 2019

The relections and b&w suit the composition really well. Did you take a shot showing the top of the trees out of curiosity?

B&W suits this image very well, nice reflection.
Water looks icy cold and shows the reflections well.
Hi Garry,

Open - Like the colours of the can, thats been corroding for a while! And you got the detail of the sand grains around it.
Distant - Wow thats impressive, great shot, I like the framing of the scene with the plane interior.
Cold - Like the reflections, image suits Mono.

Great shots!
Thanks, there was a few shots I took for cold but decided on this one for the composition.

This is a terrific image, I like it!!
Very well processed for B&W.
Great detail in the edge of the frozen ice, and good use of reflections.
Superb!(y)
Thanks Gareth
The relections and b&w suit the composition really well. Did you take a shot showing the top of the trees out of curiosity?
Thanks. No, this is as shot. The reeds were too tall to get all of them in frame.
That does have a clear, cold feel to it, Garry, and I especially like the wiggly reflections in the lower half. Well composed (y)

Thanks everyone again for your kind words. I’m really enjoying the challenge, really making me think outside the box.

Cold, don't think there is anything i dislike about the image (well except the watermark, i don't like them) nice reflections and interesting.

Cheers Garry.
I think I actually prefer this, the colours help imo. (But then I like my B&Ws punchy)
The colours seem to give it more 'life'.

I have to agree Tim, I prefer the colour shot however I realised too late that 2 of the first 6 themes should be in B&W:oops: :$

Nice shot for Cold, though the colour one is even better imo. Nice graphic lines. Looks like it was taken with the "new" lens?

I also had the wrong idea about how many "technique" shots were needed :whistle:

Nice shot for Cold, though the colour one is even better imo. Nice graphic lines. Looks like it was taken with the "new" lens?

I also had the wrong idea about how many "technique" shots were needed :whistle:

Cheers Jon, it was indeed taken with my ‘new’ lens. Annoyingly I’ve noticed fungus on the inside but it doesn’t seem to be affecting my shots.

I was torn between two shots this week but I’ve opted for the tiger as my contribution.

Week 6: Waiting for lunch.

Took the kids to the Zoo and saw this as a perfect opportunity. Slight reflection from the glass wich is a tad disappointing.

6E1F0BA6-02AD-4B65-BC6B-D1AB0998F9A0.jpeg

Um, I’m torn to be honest. I like the second but I am struggling with waiting ? However the shot in itself in mono is superb !

Both great B&W images!
I like your use of reflections on the second image....clever, and well executed.
The first is super....what a pose!
You couldn't have asked for a better pose....such majesty!
Can you ask a tiger to pose? Probably not a great idea....he looks like he's definite;y in charge!!:giggle:
Excellent work Garry!(y)

Lovely animal and well captured. Much prefer the Tiger shot. :)

Lovely looking Tiger - is that another's face under its belly?

Well both fit the theme. I won't choose one over the other - both cracking shots!
Thanks Bob
I like both shots, both work well in mono!
Thanks Dom
Um, I’m torn to be honest. I like the second but I am struggling with waiting ? However the shot in itself in mono is superb !
Thanks Chris. I see what you mean, I think without context the second one may get lost in translation.
Both great B&W images!
I like your use of reflections on the second image....clever, and well executed.
The first is super....what a pose!
You couldn't have asked for a better pose....such majesty!
Can you ask a tiger to pose? Probably not a great idea....he looks like he's definite;y in charge!!:giggle:
Excellent work Garry!(y)
Thanks Gareth, luck was on my side with timing as the tigers were very allusive. I didn’t dare ask for a pose as I may have been the lunch they were waiting for.
Lovely animal and well captured. Much prefer the Tiger shot. :)
Thanks Rick
Lovely looking Tiger - is that another's face under its belly?
Thanks Dave, it certainly is another tiger. They both retired to the drawing room after this shot.

Lovely bit of separation in the tiger shot and very clear reflections in teh shot of your son. I'm surprised you got him to pose. (Bribed?)
Thanks Tim. It was more of an opportunistic shot of my son, he’d walked most of the Zoo and was at the point of wanting a new toy from the shop. He was done :LOL:

Reactions: LC2
I prefer the 2nd one of your son it’s a really nice portrait the fence in the tiger shot just catches my eye all the time

Like em both but I like the second best. Great reflection in the glass and he looks so thoughtful

Excellent detailed image Garry.
The rust textures and colours are superb.
And the composition is spot on - love the symmetry....very nice use of DoF, those OOF areas are terrific....that bright orange band behind the ironwork is inspired!
Is it the iron supports underneath a pier?....just curious.
Great work!(y)

Excellent detailed image Garry.
The rust textures and colours are superb.
And the composition is spot on - love the symmetry....very nice use of DoF, those OOF areas are terrific....that bright orange band behind the ironwork is inspired!
Is it the iron supports underneath a pier?....just curious.
Great work!(y)
Thanks for the feedback Gareth. It is indeed the underside of a pier, namely the pier in Lytham St. Annes. I’ve been racking my brain all week about what to shoot and it was only yesterday whilst at the beach with the kids I came across this gem of a pier covered in rust. I could’ve spent all day taking pictures of the pier but as I was in hot persuit of a 1 year old this was my only real detailed shot.

Love the colour and texture, works really well for the theme.
It could do with maybe 1' of rotation clockwise (it's funny how something so subtle can sometime jump out).
The bright orange bar in the background is a great extra touch.

You can't get rougher than rust. Well spotted!!
Thanks Bob
Good choice, Garry - the colours and textures of rust are always a winner for me, and you caught some great light here to accentuate both (y)
Thanks Andrea
Nice shot for Rough. Great colours and I really like the way the lines intersect and cross. Good stuff (y)
Thanks Lee
Love the colour and texture, works really well for the theme.
It could do with maybe 1' of rotation clockwise (it's funny how something so subtle can sometime jump out).
The bright orange bar in the background is a great extra touch.
Thanks Tim, as usual I was a bit hasty uploading the image and also noticed it’s a bit skewiff. Thought I’d gotten away with it ;)

Back