Hadrons 52 for 21 Week 52 - Showcase (Done and dusted)

That's a lovely wild flower plot - it must be full of wildlife. I like the composition.

Thanks all, I see where you are coming from with the suggestion of a tighter crop but I wanted to try and show a hint of the rest of the plot. I'd probably agree that from an entirely aesthetic point of view it would make sense.
Thanks again. James :)

Week 29 - Dominating.
I thought I,d try and get in early this week. This combine harvester seemed to be the dominating feature in this field of oilseed rape and now harvest has kicked off for the year it will certainly be dominating my life for the next 6 weeks or so :)

Dominating by James, on Flickr

Interesting take on the theme and a nice square on shot of it certainly a big piece of heavy machinery which I’m sure dominates the landscape

Ticks the box nicely!

Agree with the above comments re the theme. Nice image of the rural economy at work.

Dominating
These machines will be dominating the countryside for a while now. The red is very dominant too.

Same here... grain lorries starting to come through all night long. Interesting take on the theme... and nice dof.

Bang on for the theme.
Surprising/Interesting to see that the cab is kept level whilst the field is on a slope (and thus the harvesting arm is too).
Thanks all, The cab in theory should always be level as the combine has an "autolevel" system. The threshing mechanism works best when level so there is a tilt sensor on the main body of the machine that (when it works) sends a signal via the onboard computer control system to a hydraulic levelling system whilst the header follows the contours of the ground.

Week 30 - Snappers choice + Technique HDR

This is another last minute attempt to meet this weeks brief and hopefully satisfy the Tech requirement. I don't think it's worked particularly well but it probably doesn"t help that I decided to be ambitious as regards to the HDR (not something I've ever particularly used). Now Ive got the excuses out of the way this is a 15 shot focus stacked HDR image (which my laptop does not like me for!) :)

Snappers choice by James, on Flickr

Looks fine to me.. perhaps the sky is a little lost but the wheat certainly works. Nice composition too.

Nice take on the theme, maybe a tiny bit dark for my taste (although that could be my monitor, to be fair).

Edit to add: on looking with another computer I see that it isn't as dark and I can see plenty of background eetail, which really adds to the image - very interesting machinery.

Last edited:
The mono processing add nicely to the industrial feel. I like the way the line from the arms, hands and tool create a line through the picture that's continued by the lines of the machine.

works well for me this. The vinette helps draw us in to the hands well.

Week 32 - Fur

Very much a last minute rush this week. A (Fur)minator dog brush :)
Edit. Thanks for the above comments folks. This week has been a real struggle for me to find the time to get an image in hence the rush job/shoehorn. Until recently this would have been an easy challenge and I would have posted a shot of my constant companion for the last 11 yrs but as she’s sadly no longer with us this is the best I can come up with.

(Fur)minator by James, on Flickr

Last edited:
I presume you lost your dog fairly recently, it's always sad when that happens. We know it is inevitable but we still have animals. One of my dogs will outlive me one day.

Easter
The lighting on this image is great, although I think the conversion to mono has given a dark undertone as if its from a horror movie. Regardless its a well captured shot.

Spring
I like the uniformity of it that is broken up by the leaves lying on the ground. The angles is has been taken from works to its advantage.

Snappers Choice
A very happy looking scarecrow helped by the pleasing light. Don't think I've ever seen one dressed as a woman although I don't go out of my way to find them and live in an industrial town so not much opportunity on my doorstep.

Out and about
Personally I find the ripples add to the image, a perfectly still scene would (imo) not be as interesting. First time I've seen a belt with the connected rope.

Shapes
I was going to say it was silver fx processed before I read it, for some of the filters there a definite look about them. Could see it on a calendar as an industrial shot, although maybe the torn label would need fixed first!

Numbers
A great example of the depth of field, I wonder if the phone apps would concur with the distance it is indicating for how much is in focus.

Patterns
There's definitely patterns present with all the arches, I like your comment about the mono conversion to rescue it.

Green
The saturation level is subjective, It does look high on the device I'm using but its not calibrated so the jury's out

Snappers Choice
They are certainly crammed in with not mush room to move (I'll get my coat...). Maybe a crop from the right to remove some of the distracting grass although the DOF does make me thing I'm peering into a hidden world.

Looking down
Definitely gets you thinking about the story behind the image with the processing adding to that overall feeling.

Indigenous
I'm sure the tree must bring back lot's of memories and great that is has stood the test of time.

Plants
Really interesting shape for the flower head which could benefit from a tighter crop.

Dominating
That looks great fun to drive, probably mesmerising watching the blade spinning in front of you

Snappers Choice
Super bright image that "packs a punch", it might work without a sky as all the detail is in the foreground.

Hands
Nice details, I can immediately see how dangerous the job could be if you are not careful. Works well with the mono conversion.

Fur
I feel your pain, We've just experienced the loss of our dog who recently turned 16. I'm sure you have lots of items that will trigger good memories that will help ease the sadness. Well lit image with lots of detail, a great product shot.

Sorry you've lost your best pal. Nicely lit shot - as said would make a good product shot.

Week 33 - Clean
I had several ideas for this week but due do work being stupidly busy I've had to put them to one side and take the easy option so here are combine harvester knife sections ready for a "Clean" cut
Clean by James, on Flickr

Gret image for Clean. I've never seen these blades up close, very interesting. The DoF is perfect and the details are really nicely captured.

I like it. Can't get a sense of how big it is from the image which makes you keep looking to figure it out. Works well.

Thanks for the comments folks, much appreciated. As regards to the scale of the things the round objects are dried peas which hopefully gives a bit of a sense of perspective :)

Looks nicely chilled :) Nicely done shot (I prefer the King Goblin)

My kind of glass. Good taste in beer as well. The condensation makes a nice touch.

Clean
I couldn't work it out at first, bit once I read your description it made it perfectly obvious.

Glass
Maybe you could have gone a bit closer, but I still quite like it.

Lovely pic of the big farm machine thingy!

Clean: Love the DOF on this
Glass: I really like the way you positioned the bottle, it looks like an advert.
Snappers: Lovely warm sky in this one. Massive machine there!

Back