Heat.

I've been fixing a fence this last 3 days, one of them jobs I kept putting off. I checked the weather at the start of the past week for Thursday, Friday and Saturday, all looked good so I roped my bestie in (he works for beer) and we made a start.

Thursday, weather forecast was good, Friday a bit mixed with potential heavy showers. We didn't get a drop of rain (thankfully) and Saturday was to be a washout, a yellow warning for thunderstorms but again, next to no rain and nothing that stopped us.

Today was supposed to be fair but it's blowing a gale and intermittent showers.

On all 3 days, it was muggy, it wasn't the rain that drenched me.................. and getting in the (cool) shower when work was done for the day was bliss.

The weather forecast over 3 days was way off, it literally changed from hour to hour but stayed dry (mostly).

It depends on which forecast you look at which in turn is down to the model used by that forecaster.

Accuweather is said to be the most reliable. https://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/ayr/ka7-4/weather-forecast/325661

Yes, I use Met Office, force of habit. I should look at others.
I've been using accuweather for many years and found it to be the most reliable.
MSN weather is good, also. If you set your location

IF the weather is fairly critical to plans, I usually look at the BBC, Met Office and Accuweather and make the decision based on a combination of them. Then we pack waterproofs anyway, just in case!

It's going to be like it is now until the end of this month and into August. The Low pressure system that's bringing the cool, wet weather will then shift.

The reason we're not going to get any meaningful hot weather is that the Jet Stream took a dive south, by Greenland, out in the North Atlantic, west of the UK to northern France allowing colder air to sink down from the north .Our good weather comes when it stays north of wherever any of us live. For the whole of the UK it would have to be north of the top of Scotland.

Here it is.. It takes a dive just by Greenland (the white lines) Click on "Animate" top left and watch the date change top right. You can see why Sicily, The Canaries, Italy,Greece are swealtering with the hot air coming up from north Africa. Tunisia is forecast to be at 48C next Monday.Algeria mid-30's.

I would much rather this cooler weather than the heatwave currently going on in Southern Europe. I remember the heatwave(s) we had last year, that was not fun.

The storms after were great though. I love a good thunderstorm. (y)

Don't worry, climate change will be sorting that out (y)
Ah! Heat domes, hurricanes, wildfires, coastal flooding, snowstorms etc...... lovely future to look forward to :LOL: :(

Ah! Heat domes, hurricanes, wildfires, coastal flooding, snowstorms etc...... lovely future to look forward to :LOL: :(
But hopefully the winter will be milder this year, no -10-12oC and 4 inches of snow that froze for a couple of weeks
#Global warming (y)

Reading through this thread has put a wry smile on my face - Last Saturday the calibrated weather station on one of our construction projects here in Dubai hit 54.3 C (in the shade). It has also been very humid this summer with day and night temperatures being in the high 40's since June, but generally I would say in the UAE and the Gulf the summers seem to be milder by 5 degrees compared with 10-12 years ago.

Having said that I am really looking forward to the heat and humidity dying down in October as that is when we can actually get out and go to the beach....

Reading through this thread has put a wry smile on my face - Last Saturday the calibrated weather station on one of our construction projects here in Dubai hit 54.3 C

Crikey, that's nuts. :runaway:

Today here in Scotland, we're on the verge of a few hot days (for us) and it's going to be warmer down South, low to mid 30s.

Currently here we're about 27 degrees and I'm already looking for shade.

Last edited:
Arrived in Cussy en Morvan this afternoon. It was 13 when we left, went through patches of 32 before arriving in a humid 27. Love the house though, living room 21 degrees.

It's funny, I had to light the stove (in Oxfordshire ) last week because it was 10 at night and just 14 in the day.

It was 27 yesterday in North East, wind has moved around to the East blowing in from north sea again so a nice and pleasant 23 today, but with the benefit of unbroken sunshine.

Just about passed 25 outdoors just a while back there. That's me out. :runaway:
It just about nudged 30oC outside earlier,
24.5 insides with all the doors windows and curtains shut.
Its cooling-off now, windows and doors finally opened.

Just after 20:00 and its almost dark.

16 degrees now, dark about 1/2 hour.
It's still nudging 20oC out there, humid too.
I have a feeling it's going to be a bit of a sleepless night :(

I have a feeling it's going to be a bit of a sleepless night :(

You might be right. Just checked our thermostat, 26.1. It constantly monitors the temperature. Outside temp has just ticked down to 15.

Our bedroom is cooler though, it's the furthest corner from the front of the house, which gets blasted all day by the sun. It'll still be uncomfortable in there though, probably low 20s at the moment.

Funny lot, aren't we?
It wasn't so long ago we were bitching about -10 hard frosts and snow.
Seems to be a lot do not like such temperatures but so many folks seem to be keen on flying south for the sun and heat (not me). Anyway it will be hotter tomorrow.

Dave

It's the concrete cows - they hold the heat. ;)
They have all had a fresh coat of paint recently, so they should now be reflecting the heat not holding it :D

Round here, some of the farmers have painted the bullocks black, so they absorb more heat and keep the rest of us cool... ;)

Bullocks by Clyst St Mary bridge GX7 P1140820.JPG

29 deg C here and not very comfortable. Windows open and curtains shut, couple of large bottles of water in fridge.

28 out and very very humid!
Long range forecast is for storms on Monday.
Roll on Monday (y)

Sat in my hide for 10 minutes, too hot, came out and decided to do some fettling to a fence that has been bugging me for a while. Grabbed a cap and set to work. Nope, bad idea, I was drenched within 10 minutes. Had to shower. The fence can wait until later.

Alexa says it's 24 degrees, she's fibbing.

Long range forecast is for storms on Monday.
Roll on Monday (y)

Bring it on, love a storm. Although we were promised some earlier in the year but we only got a few rumbles, we never seem to get decent thunder storms here. That said, after the heatwave last year, we did get one that went on through the night. It was nice to be kept awake by something other than heat that night.

Drove over to the Emmaus warehouse at Etang sur Arroux this afternoon - shade air temperature of 34.5.

Popped outside in the twilight and it feels like 24 with a gentle breeze. Living room is 23 because the door was open while we had stoves (ha, ha, ha) fitted just in case we ever come here in the winter.

A lot of the plants are still green although some trees have begun changing colour, but the rivers are almost dry, and it's worse than this time last year.

My wife tells me that her newsfeed has forecast that,despite the high temperatures so far this week, Saturday will be the higher.

My wife tells me that her newsfeed has forecast that,despite the high temperatures so far this week, Saturday will be the higher.
29 - 30 continuing though the weekend into Monday.
Tues onwards high teens......, allegedly....

Back