Holidays 2020

Kinda hoping we might make it out to see our son in NZ around the turn of the year, but not too hopeful NZ will allow anyone from here in without a 2 week quarantine.

got a mid week break now booked for late sept to Lincolnshire ,static caravan

Oh, forgot to say I have next week off - redecorating. :p

Fun! I was supposed to be off next week but we've a job over in Belfast Zoo so I've swapped to the week after as it'll only leave one fabricator in if I don't! I have to finish the fence if I can get hold of the wood and start on the downstairs toilet.....

It does now mean I'm in work next week, off, back in for a week, off to Weymouth :)

I'm still owed 6 days holiday (ours run Sept to Aug) so I might carry them over and try for an autumn few days in the Brecon's :)

Lovely place, but watch out for the midges...

Yeah, the wife has never been to Scotland. I haven't mentioned the midges...

We were just offered a place to stay for an extra few days in Aberlour on the Speyside way, so looks like it'll be an extended trip :)

We were just offered a place to stay for an extra few days in Aberlour on the Speyside way, so looks like it'll be an extended trip :)
Take a look here for a midge forecast. we haven't tried the 'smidge up' product.....Oban doesn't look too bad at the moment. The last time we were there at the end of May (12 years ago) it was pretty unpleasant, the site staff on the campsite we were staying at were wearing hats with nets......

Last edited:
My current favourite repellent is Smidge.

I think it is just about as effective as DEET based products without the unpleasant side effects of DEET which stings the eyes, numbs the lips and, which could be a bit concerning for spectacle wearing or camera users, melts some plastics.

I also find Smidge is good for repelling clegs. I have read it also discourages ticks, though I have no personal knowledge of this.

Dave

I've used Smidge for around five years now and find it works better than most non DEET repellents that I've tried in the UK.

The one I used for over twenty years prior to that was Tabard, but that has DEET in it. I was living in Africa then though - I don't think Smidge would be any good there.

A mate of mine who spends a lot of time cycling on the midges' feeding grounds swears by Avon Skin-So-Soft, the only downside seems to be (in his words) "smelling like a tart's arse"!
I use it on holiday in Crete and I'm left alone by the eatie beasties (and smell delicious, dahlink!)

Ticks are bad this year. Neighbour has been in hospital (4 weeks so far) with Lyme disease. Bite left no mark/usual red ring. Just headache, vision problems and facial paralysis (not yet resolved).

Ticks are bad this year. Neighbour has been in hospital (4 weeks so far) with Lyme disease. Bite left no mark/usual red ring. Just headache, vision problems and facial paralysis (not yet resolved).

When we go for our daily walk, we are surprised at how many people wear shorts and flimsy trainers/flipflops without socks. I don't care how hot it is, I always wear thicker socks and walking shoes.

Just had the refund for March's cancelled holiday turn up, might just hand her the money and have a couple of short staycations till we settle on foreign travel next year.
Speed traps aplenty on the NC500 route, might try a different trip that could be quiet, and head toward the lakes for the other direction.

From what I've seen of it, the NC 500 is best taken at well below the limit to enjoy the views it affords.

A mate of mine who spends a lot of time cycling on the midges' feeding grounds swears by Avon Skin-So-Soft, the only downside seems to be (in his words) "smelling like a tart's arse"!
I use it on holiday in Crete and I'm left alone by the eatie beasties (and smell delicious, dahlink!)

Yup, thats the stuff. It's supposedly what the SAS use. I use it in Crete too. They has mozzies like bats! :)

We're due to go Crete at end of August. The hotel reopened a week ago. They've listed the changes and restrictions due to Covid on their web site. Were hoping for some reviews of how its affecting peoples holiday before deciding to go or delay until next year.

Yup, thats the stuff. It's supposedly what the SAS use. I use it in Crete too. They has mozzies like bats! :)
I had read somewhere that they had changed the formula and wasn’t so effective, have you bought and used it recently?
I would be great if it was still effective Deet is horrible stuff had to spray up today with Deet managed to get some in my mouth it tastes foul :p

We're due to go Crete at end of August. The hotel reopened a week ago. They've listed the changes and restrictions due to Covid on their web site. Were hoping for some reviews of how its affecting peoples holiday before deciding to go or delay until next year.

Do check the restrictions on entry. I think it was Greece that means they select people a random to take test on arrival and you have to then isolate for 48/72 hours until you get your test result back! Screws up a weeks holiday.

We were looking at a week in Cyprus for Aug 17 but they are reviewing entry to the country on Aug 1st so may be an issue!

I had read somewhere that they had changed the formula and wasn’t so effective, have you bought and used it recently?
I would be great if it was still effective Deet is horrible stuff had to spray up today with Deet managed to get some in my mouth it tastes foul :p

I didn't know that. Mine is a couple of years old. One in golf bag, one with holiday stuff.
I hope they haven't changed it. It was its biggest selling point. (Although they couldn't advertise it as such)

Do check the restrictions on entry. I think it was Greece that means they select people a random to take test on arrival and you have to then isolate for 48/72 hours until you get your test result back! Screws up a weeks holiday.

We were looking at a week in Cyprus for Aug 17 but they are reviewing entry to the country on Aug 1st so may be an issue!

Thanks for that. I know it's quite strict. They have a quarantine hotel they send you to. You also have to isolate if you've been in close proximity to a suspected case. One of their definitions of close proximity is anybody on the aircraft within 2 rows in any direction. Thats a lot of people. We're very torn. We've been using the same bars and restaurants around the hotel for 5 years so we'd love to help the people who have become friends.
My wifes had 6 months of cancer treatment and although all is going well she needs a complete break. If she stays at home in a staycation she will do "stuff". Not relax like a beach holiday.
Aaaarrrggh! :confused:

I didn't know that. Mine is a couple of years old. One in golf bag, one with holiday stuff.
I hope they haven't changed it. It was its biggest selling point. (Although they couldn't advertise it as such)
My memory could be going :oops: :$ but I think someone on here said that the new stuff isn’t as effective

They did, then they changed it back. Used it last year and it worked just fine. The year before (or possibly 2017), I tried Smidge and they seemed to like the taste!

Do check the restrictions on entry. I think it was Greece that means they select people a random to take test on arrival and you have to then isolate for 48/72 hours until you get your test result back!

No problem, as long as they pay for the missed nights' accommodation. We're going for 17 days at the end of August, beginning September.

They did, then they changed it back. Used it last year and it worked just fine. The year before (or possibly 2017), I tried Smidge and they seemed to like the taste!

Thanks that’s great news I didn’t know that

No problem, as long as they pay for the missed nights' accommodation. We're going for 17 days at the end of August, beginning September.

Thanks for that. I know it's quite strict. They have a quarantine hotel they send you to. You also have to isolate if you've been in close proximity to a suspected case. One of their definitions of close proximity is anybody on the aircraft within 2 rows in any direction. Thats a lot of people. We're very torn. We've been using the same bars and restaurants around the hotel for 5 years so we'd love to help the people who have become friends.
My wifes had 6 months of cancer treatment and although all is going well she needs a complete break. If she stays at home in a staycation she will do "stuff". Not relax like a beach holiday.
Aaaarrrggh! :confused:

That said friends went to greece yesterday - stansted was like it was 25 years ago - no issues, straight to villa and all ok!

Looking at the way infection rates are climbing in Spain now I’m doubting if my holiday to Sevilla in October is going to happen.
Potentially the third holiday I’d lose this year.

France has just recommended that it’s citizens don’t travel to Cataluña.
I can see them closing the border again at this rate.

Looking at the way infection rates are climbing in Spain now I’m doubting if my holiday to Sevilla in October is going to happen.
Potentially the third holiday I’d lose this year.
You should not have booked anything since the pandemic was officially declared. This will go on and on until late next year at the earliest...

Wait until 2022 before planning any holiday abroad

You should not have booked anything since the pandemic was officially declared. This will go on and on until late next year at the earliest...

This trip was booked on the 3rd of February (see post 43) when there had only been two confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the United Kingdom and there was no inkling as to what was to come.

But thanks so much for your wise words.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I don't necessarily agree with it.
Just guessing like everyone else including the science community, media, government and all the "experts" on message boards

Booked a trip to France for October, will assess the situation nearer the time.
Still don't see the difference in risk factor between getting on a train to visit London, Paris or Brussels

Last edited:
I cant see us going away.

Cornwall is sold out, same with Loch Ness. Spain & Portugal are out as is Cyprus currently. Boating holidays sold out. Only hope may be a last minute Centerparcs booking! Or maybe a couple of cheap Travelodge nights somewhere!

I cant see us going away.

Cornwall is sold out, same with Loch Ness. Spain & Portugal are out as is Cyprus currently. Boating holidays sold out. Only hope may be a last minute Centerparcs booking! Or maybe a couple of cheap Travelodge nights somewhere!

Plenty of places in Scotland on AirBnB and Discover Scotland

Time to dust the old tent down and do a bit of wild camping.

I've been thinking about camping myself. Used to do it all the time when younger! ie in the 80's - early 90's Certainly before electric hookups & mobile phones etc I do have a 4 berth tent set up at my dad's in the loft which I bought in the 2000's to do single night car show/drag racing weekends. It's not a full height tent but it is certainly big enough for the two of us at least. I don't think I'd fancy a whole week though...... :thinking:

Thinking about getting a motor caravan, two berth coachbuilt would be about right.
Had a couple when we were younger and might be just the job for current conditions.
Plenty of certified sites about and easily got a week or more from a decent size leisure battery.

Thinking about getting a motor caravan, two berth coachbuilt would be about right.
Had a couple when we were younger and might be just the job for current conditions.
Plenty of certified sites about and easily got a week or more from a decent size leisure battery.

Yeah this or tent, got to be the way forward for the foreseeable. Noticed a lot of B and B and hotels now in UK are starting to take the .... with their prices.

Yeah this or tent, got to be the way forward for the foreseeable. Noticed a lot of B and B and hotels now in UK are starting to take the .... with their prices.

Done the tent bit, trailer tent, towing caravan and cabin cruiser too.
Thinking along the lines of a compact coachbuilt with onboard facilities so we can be self sufficient.
Can be used all year round too which is a bonus, some lovely weather late autumn and early spring
I'm retired and my missus can anytime she wants so just a matter of getting it got

Had intended getting a little place in France, something like a level crossing keepers cottage, but Brexit messed that right up.

Last edited:
Back